Staccato

Da Capo al Fine

STACCATO

detached, disconnected, separated 


 

The sun just risen piercing the translucent curtain, the birds are chirping outside the windowsill. It is quiet, the perk of mornings in our house. The misty silence after dawn has welcomed me from coming back from my dreamland. The day has come. I woke up before the alarm clock goes off. A cup of coffee is essential in the morning, never forget that. I hurriedly walk into my parents’ bedroom to see if they’re packing or whatever.

 

“MOM! DAD!” I shout. I’m frustrated to see that they’re still sleeping so comfy.

 

We’re going on a congratulatory trip for me because I’m newly promoted to be the head teacher for the next school year. The seed of my hard work has sprouted. My mom insisted to go because she said with teary eyes “I’m so lucky to have you as my daughter! I’m so proud of you! Let’s go on a trip where you really want to go.” I tend to copy her with a groggy voice every time and my dad agreed to pursue it to become reclusive in reality even for just a week. To be a teacher is a blessing but to become a head teacher is ample grateful.

 

This is so funny. They are moving like a colony of ants after destroying their mound. I told them the day before to wake up two hours before the flight so they are not moving apace and a high chance to not miss our flight.

 

It is a quick morning for our family. The road isn’t crowded knowing it is morning. We arrived at the airport just on time. We have enough time to dawdle before the plane takes off. I can say that everything is in the right place. Perfect!

 

***

 

We’ve arrived. Finally! Goodbye reality, see you in seven days. I’m tired from seating but the food of the airline was awesome. The nature is moving along inside the cab, I can see the flowers have blossomed, the scenery is beyond perfection. I want to live here. The sun is embracing the roads, house, basically everything on the ground.

 

The gargantuan signage of welcome almost devoured me from where I am standing. We enter the resort and suddenly my dad stop from walking when he sees a familiar coloured silhouette from afar. As I said earlier, everything is perfect. Not only the scenery but also for my parents. Who actually knows how after 25 years, they saw and met their long-lost friends? A triumph of serendipity, the resort we are staying turned out was my parents’ friends’ resort. How amazing! They started talking and reminiscing their memories together when they were young. I’m out of place so I just excused myself from their conversation.

 

I went directly to our designated room. I don’t really mind being solitary, I’m used to it and as long as my best of friend is here, the wifi. The luggage is heavy; my arms are about to fall off anytime soon. I washed my filthy hands. The lights are dimmed to the lowest level. This kind of tranquil atmosphere makes me want to rest and sleep for the rest of the day but I will not do that. I’m here to be free and not to sleep.

 

All are set, I just need to grab my earphone which is hiding underneath my purse and lie on the soft white bed and be under the dimmed lights. What else to ask for? This is perfection on earth. My best friend, come to me. The phone settings is the best place to find my friend. It felt like there is a sad inaudible violin music playing in the background, there’s no wifi signal in the room. I’m such a dork for not saving up my data. My data is all used up! The only place I can connect on the wifi is very likely in the lounge of the resort, the last hope of surviving in this island. My feet brought me to the paradise. I choose the most comfortable chair I thought the most comfortable. Once again, I wear my earphones and ready to hug my own silent world. I try to connect for the wifi just like before. My smile turns into a frown as I see the padlock sign beside the wifi signal. What am I going to do? I’m declaring the end of the world. But giving up is not the option. I will not let the padlock sign put me down. If there’s a will, there’s a way. I will ask the receptionist for the password. There’s no room for any shyness.

 

“Excuse me.” I said it as politely as possible. My voice shifted from insipid to sweet. The receptionist is inevitably eye catchable. I can’t take my gaze off of him. What sorcery is this? But of course, look away and move on. Don’t forget about the wifi.

 

He slowly turns his head into my direction and he looks at me in the eyes. OMG! Our gazes met. I’m kind of left stilted but I successfully manage to overcome it. Hallelujah. He looks so fine and may melt all the girls’ heart but he’s not my type.

 

He seems aloof. “Yes?” The tone of his voice was so deep but high at the same time. It sounds impossible but that what he does.

 

“I want to ask what the wifi password is.” I stutter. I break the imaginary line between our sheepish stare.

 

He didn’t say a word, just scrawls the password on a piece of paper and hands it to me. Out of the blue, I bursted a question, “How long have you been working here?” I asked out of my curiosity. I realized how dumb I am for asking that.

 

“I don’t work here. I’m wandering around.” He stares at me eerily.

 

The conversation makes the sounds of our mouth hushed. The residents and tourist are blaring except the whir of the wind is the mere notable sound in my ears. I shouldn’t have asked that question. I’m left intrigued. Why does he knew the password if he doesn’t work here? The eagerness is circling my mind. My brain has this question only he can answer but to end this awkward conversation I nodded my head and left him alone. I went back to my comfy seat and punched in the password. Good thing that the chair is facing the opposite direction where he’s standing at. I didn’t bother thinking or looking back at him. I’m embarrassed.

 

After three hours, my parents called me to meet at the garden. Another problem has risen again. I search for a map but it is nowhere posted. There’s no way I’ll ask that receptionist again, wait he’s not working here, that unknown person. I’m hoping he left or there will be another employee present there. Please luck, be by my side even just for this minute. I slowly stand up and pivot my body to the desk, wishing he has vanished. Too late to go back, he’s still there and no one is there to ask except him. Can I swaddle my whole body with an invisible cover? I proceeded anyway.

 

“Excuse me.” This time my voice is my normal tone.

 

“You again?” He looks annoyed.

 

I will surely left a bad feedback to this resort if this isn’t just my parents’ friends’ resort. I let it slipped. I’m that nice.

 

“Do you probably know where the garden is located?” The words are filled with blandness, can’t deny by the tune.

 

“Why are you asking me again?” He looked at me very coldly like his eyes are b with chunks of ice. “I don’t work here. Ask someone else.”

 

I turn my neck left and right, hoping to ask someone besides this rude being. Probably luck is beside me. I see another staff walking by and ask her instead. Praise the heavens that this female employee is a foil from that rude I-don’t-work-here-guy. She directs me to the garden and I see my parents waiting with their long-lost friends. I walk with my usual pace but my dad shouts at me to hurry. Once I reach them, my dad said, “This is my daughter I’m talking about.” I introduce myself, awkward.

 

“You’re so beautifully taken care of.” The wife of the owner I assumed says. “We are your parents’ friends.” She introduces herself and her husband as Mr. and Mrs. Kim. “You’re the same age as my son. Your mother told us.” I smile; I don’t know what to say. “I want to have a daughter-in-law just like you.” She joked but I can feel that she meant it.

 

“This escalated quickly. But yes please. Let me marry your son.” I whisper in my head jestingly. I just end up with a hazy giggle as a reply.

 

***

 

Most of the time I can escape from going with my parents when we have an invitation with friends’ birthdays or such but this time, they strongly commanded me to join. It looks like it’s my mandatory responsibility. I dress up prettily; my mom said it would be a formal dinner with the Kims.

 

My family is ready to head out our room. I ask my dad to help me walk. I may wobble anytime. I’m kind of confident walking in heels but this is just exceptionally too high. We went to the V.V.I.P. balcony of the resort to have dinner. The taste of the food is out of this world and every bite I take was like heaven on earth. They talk again, I remain silent. A few minutes before the dessert is served, I excuse myself. “I need to use the washroom for a minute, please excuse me.” I scoot the chair and head to the washroom. This journey needs concentration and balance. I can’t trip, I’m just by myself and no one is here to help me. Lord, please guide me.

 

Luckily, I didn’t fall or wobble. As I walk back carefully to our table, I see the same guy from before; he is strolling in my direction and I am walking towards him. Why this hallway feels so narrow? Minding him is far from my concern because I’m focused on my steps. My eyes are at my shoes. The distance between us is compacting. Three feet away and then a foot away.

 

“You again?” He says with a mocking grin.

 

My gaze shifts away from the ground. I smile but look away soon enough before my blood surge out due to annoyance from before. I continue to walk to the balcony.

 

Just before I sit down, I hear Mr. Kim shouted, “Minseok! Come here and meet our friends!”

 

As the person approaching closely, I can picture that it’s the “you again” guy. I gulp and may choke on my water if I were to drink. He sits down in front of me without a thought of my presence. If I run now, he may not see me. But after a split second he steers his head at my direction and stares at me questionably. The puzzle I’m trying to assemble is now complete. The question I’m intrigue earlier is now answered. The guy who helped me and gave me a rude answer is the son of my parent’s long-lost-friend, Minseok Kim.

 

“My name is Minseok. Nice to meet you.” He said politely to my parents, only to my parents and not to me. My eyes are on flames to be honest. Well, this guy knew how to speak in a good way to elderly but not with the same age as him, I reckon that’s me.

 

“Your last name is nice. Can my daughter have it?” My mom said with a laugh and looked at Mrs. Kim. I’m mortified. They both laugh. Minseok and I are not cool about it; I can see it in our eyes. We are disgusted.

 

Mrs. Kim is teasing, “So, why don’t you guys go out for a walk?” She is looking at his husband with a ridicule smile.

 

I hesitated and said, “We better no--” but I feel a kick under the table. But the dessert though. It is Minseok who is kicking my precious foot. I look at him and he shows his let’s-get-out-of-here-face and I understand what he means, “--not eat dessert and go for a walk now.” I continued.

 

I follow him out from the balcony. Minseok’s pace is a hundred times faster than my pace plus I’m striding on my heels so my gait is four times slower than usual. Will you please wait for me? I’m commanding him on my mind. He miraculously stops and waits for me. I’m touched by that and butterflies are flying in my stomach. “Walk faster.” he said.

 

“I can’t.” I try to walk faster but I stagger but not at the point of falling down. My speed can be compared to an injured turtle. Probably he is impatient with me so he walks towards me and offers his arm to help me walk. Is this a dream? My heart is freaking out. This surpassed the fantasies in my day dreams. After a long time, I felt special. I am sure I am blushing but it’s an advantage of make-ups, helping to cover my redness. He doesn’t speak neither do I until we reach the garden. 

 

The buzzing of the night is filling the awkwardness between us.  “As you can see we are in this awkward moment.” He smirked. “But I want you to know, I asked you out of there not because I want to be with you but it’s because I want to get out of there.”

 

“That’s redundant.” I said mockingly and laughed afterwards. What he said is nonsense.

 

He softly chuckled. “What?”

 

“Nothing.” I laugh again but this time in a strained way.

 

“And sorry for kicking you” he says.

 

I nodded and smiled to assure him that it’s okay.

 

“Are you deaf? Aren’t you gonna say anything?” he nags at me. My eyes widen because I’m kind of shocked. “What’s your name by the way?”

 

To respect him a bit, I introduced myself and told him we’re here for a trip. My name is enough information for him to know about me.

 

“Minseok?” I whisper. He looks at me. “You said that earlier. I heard.” And then I grin.

 

“Yes. I’m Minseok.” He trains his head following the moth flying beneath the sky. “Why are you having a trip here? Celebrating something?” He is now playing with the grass underneath his shoes. I am observing every movement Minseok makes.

 

“Yes.” I nod. When he started the conversation I felt born back from the dead. “Actually, I got promoted to be the head teacher of my school.” I said as I hug myself trying to omit the faint cold whisper of the wind. I can see from my peripheral vision that Minseok is taking off his suit and suddenly he drapes it over my shoulders. It happens in a tick of the clock. I’m moved and thankful at the same time. As I fix his jacket on my shoulders, I feel a paper tingling on the side of my stomach.

 

“You’re a teacher? Math teacher?” He asked while after draping his suit on my shoulders.

 

The paper is distracting so I procured it. I’m holding on to it without knowing what to do with that but he snatched it from me. “Nope, don’t look at my music sheet!”

 

“I don’t teach math.” I looked at him frenetically. “I’m a music teacher, I teach voice lesson. You read music?”

 

“Yes, I do read music! I’m a piano teacher.” Minseok’s aura seems b with stars.

 

The atmosphere becomes vibrant and filled with colours. Music is a bridge that connects us. We have a common interest.

 

“I’m planning to join some music composition for a cause. Are you down to join?” I found myself smiling so wide.

 

He acts confused and I explain what it is about. It is a charitable competition where musicians compete and win nothing. The competition is absolutely for a cause. I decided to join because I have nothing to do during summer vacation.

 

“Sure! I’m down!” He agreed cheerfully. “I have nothing to do this vacation.” Muteness has conquered us every time. I look into the distance where the bokeh of lights are glittering. “Let’s move on.” He attempted to change the topic. “I don’t get why our parents are together the whole time.”

 

“Well, from what I know, we actually came here to celebrate my promotion but as we settle in, my parents saw your parents,” I fixed the falling suit. His eyes are focusing on mine. I can’t have a conversation eye to eye. My voice sounded feeble. “And I think they are friends back when they were in university and distance separated them. After approximately 25 years they met each other again.” I explained. “And here we are!”

 

“They are very good friends then?” Minseok nods and pouts his lips. Once again, a metronome of silence started tapping. “But hey, not to be assuming but,” he is silently guffawing, “I think your mom likes me and wants my last name for you. She said that earlier.” He mocks.

 

“I think your mom likes me for you too.” I repeat. I can’t slip this away. I need to win over this fight. He looks confused. “She told me she wants me to be her daughter-in-law.” I boast proudly. “But nah!”

 

Both of us are getting what both of our parents were trying to do. We were able to connect the dots. They are clearly setting us up together. My attention is diverted to the competition again. Minseok remained watching the moths compiling upon the light post.

 

The silence is shattered. “Want to see my piano room?” He smiles. I notice there’s a gap between the left side of his teeth. I find it cute. “Let’s talk about the competition.”

 

“My pleasure.” This needs a torture of walking again.

 

He begins to walk, leaving me behind but after a quarter of a whole note, he turns back, walks back coolly, the situation felt like in the movies where the time is moving in slow motion. Then, he holds my waist and puts his hand covering my wenis. He guides me up to his piano room, wherever that is, I don’t seem to care. I’m in an unexplained condition.

 

He leads the way to his piano room. The room is far from the lounge. I can see some illumination from the direction we are heading. I’m certain that’s the piano room we are going. The light is sheening the darkness from afar. No more than ten huge stones as pathways are leading us to the room.

 

The hallway where the room is located has an off white lightning and has a collection of multiple sharp leaves plants. Mixture of reds, yellows, browns, golds, and some unidentified warm colours are covering the walls. A white gigantic stone arch welcomed me to the piano room on the side.

 

I disentangle myself away from him when reach the piano room. I had enough; my heart may explode any second. He is fishing the key in his pocket. The black double door with a rectangular carving opens without a single creak. A black shimmering grand piano welcomes me as I walk in. I’m in awe to see the grand piano and the vibe in the room was so comfortable. I get the feeling of wanting to teach my vocal lesson here forever.

 

I realize the exuberant emotions I am having. “What kind of songs do you compose?”

 

“I prefer sad melodies.” He marches to his grand piano. “And I like partnering it with a heart breaking lyrics.” The familiarity of the room made him ensconced. He scoots the piano bench, then unfolds the fall board and set asides the red cloth inside. 

 

“That’s exactly my type of music.” I’m just looking at him feistily.

 

“By the way, where will be this competition will be held?” He asks.

 

“In my hometown.” I reply in disappointment. “I think we got a problem here.” I look at him in the bridge of his nose. “My hometown is far from here. I think it’s gonna be impossible for us to join the competition.” I paused, thinking for what else I have to say. “I think I’m gonna join by myself.” The breeze is rolling from the opened window and the scent of Minseok’s suit is wafting into my nose.

 

“It’s summer vacation, I don’t have a class to teach.” The tone of his voice seems valiant. He presses the F major. “I can go to your hometown.” I am bemused since he doesn’t really have to but he’s solving the problems here. The piano started to resonate, which I don’t know what score he’s playing. 

 

I sit beside the windowsill to have the night view of the beach while listening to Minseok’s aria. I inhale all the crisp night smell. While I’m letting the romantic view mesmerizes me, Minseok plays and alters the chords shifting to a familiar song. It was not just some random heart-felt song but it is my favourite song. I stand up and walk slowly beside him. His precious hands are playing along the white and black keys of the piano.

 

“Stop looking at my hands like that.” Our eyes meet again but I turn back to his hands. “You may fall in love with my hands.” He joked.

 

My body is overdose with overflowing feels. “Then, can you stop playing that song?” His fingers and hands are indeed beautiful.

 

“Are there memories starting to pop out in your head while listening to this song?” He halts playing and points at the wooden chair I was sitting on before. “Bring it here.”

 

I judge him hardly from the side. I’m not saying a word because I’m too busy cursing him in my head. Why would he make me bring that chair in this condition? I have a mountain under my feet. I’m having a voiceless mental breakdown. I can’t even manage myself being steady and you’re asking me to carry that chair up to here. My goodness, Minseok!

 

“Don’t swear at me.” He then strides to the chair and grabs it for me. “You’re quiet. Your look at me, I bet you’re annoyed.” He said as he ambles back.

 

“No. No. It’s not that.”

 

The chair is low and my dress is going up on my thighs. Minseok’s suit is very useful tonight. I covered my thighs with it.

 

“Misneok, what are you doing with your life except being a piano teacher?” I asked as I’m pulling up the suit and pushing my hair back on the rear of my ears.

 

“I’m correcting all the people who pronounced my name wrong. That’s what I do besides being a piano teacher.”

 

“OMG! I’m so sorry. I mean Minseok.” I’m embarrassed. How can I make a stupid mistake?

 

The flow of the waves, the clapping of the trees, and the breath of the nature are heard in the room. Minseok’s soft breaths sound as soft as pianississimo. I maintain my stillness. He starts to place his hands back on position and continues playing. Each music notes correspond to the lyrics. I can’t help myself but to sing along. He doesn’t bother disturbing my singing and just keeps on pressing on the keys. He is in awe while listening to my voice, I guess? The song comes to an end.

“You have such an amazing voice.” He gapes. “I love your voice.”

 

“Only my voice?” I wince.

 

“Yes. Voice. Only voice.” He gathers the music sheets and put it back in the folder beside the piano. “I think we are quits because you only love my hands.” 

 

If someone let go a needle, the drop would be too loud. I sat still while watching Minseok’s movements. He is acquiring the red cloth to cover the piano and folds down the fall board. His side profile is carved in the heavens.

 

A loud bawl shattered the silence. “MINSEOK KIM!” Mr. Kim shouts.

 

We are startled and look at the direction where the howl comes from.

 

“Dad! You don’t need to shout. I’m not deaf.” Minseok chides his dad with some irritation.

 

I stand up from my sit and hand the suit back to him. My parents are praising the room how it is designed with so much effort. I offer my seat to Mrs. Kim but she refuses. “Mom, sit here.”

 

Our parents are piling on the back of the piano bench where we are hanging out earlier. I’m beside the piano, observing them. Minseok is grabbing chairs for our parents. How nice of Minseok.

 

“We would like to say something for the both of you.” Mr. Kim hisses.

 

Minseok cuts his father as he brought down the chairs. He opens up the plan of planning to join the competition.

 

“Mom, we want to join a music composing competition for a cause.” He grasps for some air. The chairs are heavy for his small body.

 

“That’s great!” Mrs. Kim approved. Of course, moms always support their sons.

 

“But the problem is, the competition is in their hometown.” He grimaced, probably because her parents may not give him the permission to go.

 

“My baby, I don’t see any problem here. You can just go, don’t worry and just go.” She said with so much joy. I can see it in her face.

 

“But I don’t have a place to st--” He sounds concerned.

 

Mrs. Kim cuts him, “I will take care of it.”

 

My parents are listening to the conversation while looking at me and exchanging glances. It is very strange of them. I steer my attention to Minseok who’s worried about where he’s staying. Good thing there’s a nearby hotel in our area. Look at me, I’m solving his concern on my mind but I’m not saying it out loud. Everything is falling to its place. Perfection is the word of the day.

 


CHAPTER 2 IS UP


Thank you for spending your time reading this.

Comment? Tell me what you think. Upvote? 

[THIS IS THE REVISED VERSION OF MY FIRST FANFIC, THE 11933 STORY]