Hope

Gift

 

December 24th, 2013

 

"Dear Santa,

 

It's little Kyuhyunnie again. Why didn't you give me what I asked for last Christmas? Was it because I teased Changminnie? This year I didn't  and Krystal noona said I had been a very good boy. Does that mean that this year you will bring me my gift? I still want the same thing from last year. Santa, could you give me parents as a present? That's all I want. I promise I will be obedient and I will love them a lot. They don't have to be perfect, I just want them to love me too. Thank you Santa, you are the best!

 

P.S. I hope you like the cookie I left you. I wanted to leave more for you and your reindeers, but Krystal noona said no, so I had to save the one I was given during snack time for you. Tell all your reindeers I'm sorry! 

 

Love, Little Kyuhyunnie."

 

Kyuhyun then folded his letter and put it in the red boot that had his name on it on the Christmas tree at the orphanage's living room. He then turned around and joined everyone else at the dining room for dinner.

 

 

Later that night after dinner, Kyuhyun went to sleep right away, wanting Christmas morning to arrive already.

 

He was five years old and even though some of the older kids said Santa wasn't real, he would still write a letter to him every year, hoping that he would receive his gift. He had nothing to lose anyway. He had been abandoned at the orphanage's front door by his mother days after being born. His real parents were a mystery to him, but since he had absolutely no memories of them, he didn't think of them a lot. He didn't even know their names.

 

He was one of the youngest kids there and just as the other kids, Kyuhyun's biggest wish was to be adopted by people that would love him. Until now, he had not had so much luck. The people who went to the orphanage thought he was cute at first, but after talking with him, they didn't like his honest yet rude remarks.

 

This was why most kids said he was mean and avoided him, which would lead little Kyuhyunnie to always be alone, but he really wasn't mean on purpose. Being one of the youngest, he got easily picked on at first by the older kids, which is why he had to stand up to his elders. He was a very smart boy who couldn't tolerate being thought as someone weak just because of his age. 

 

There were only two people who he could be the sweet and loving boy he truly was, and one had just left him a month ago.

 

*flashback*

 

"Hyunnie, guess what!" A ball of sweaters ran over to Kyuhyun who was busy reading a book.

 

"What is it, Minnie hyung?" Asked Kyuhyun, putting down his book and letting Sungmin sit beside him.

 

"Someone decided to adopt me!" Exclaimed a thrilled Sungmin, hugging Kyuhyun tightly.

 

"B-but what about me, hyung?" Kyuhyun, trying to hide his tears, pulled Sungmin tighter in his embrace.

 

"I'm going to do everything I can and I will come and visit you soon! I won't forget about my hubby that easily." Sungmin giggled and pecked Kyuhyun's cheek before taking his hand and dragging Kyu after him. "Come and help your wifey pack!"

 

Giggling, both kids packed Sungmin's suitcase, making a huge mess, but succeeding after a couple of hours. 

 

When it was finally time for Sungmin to leave, both kids bid goodbye to each other, promising to see each soon again.

 

"Bye Hyunnie!" Sungmin's hand waved, sticking out the car's window along with his head. "I'll miss you! Don't forget your wifey!"

 

Kyuhyun, being unable to speak without crying, waved at Sungmin until he was out of sight.

 

*end flashback*

 


 

Christmas morning was a big disappointment but he tried to smile anyways for his noona's sake. When he got downstairs, he walked towards the Christmas tree and pulled out a small box wrapped in Rudolph themed wrapping paper. He sat down and opened it. 

 

Inside was a Superman action figure...not what he asked for. 

 

His eyes filled up with tears but he quickly wiped them away, not wanting others to see him cry. He then got up and walked towards the window, taking a seat on the floor and starting to play with the action figure, knowing that his Krystal noona was watching him and wishing for Sungmin to be here with him to play.

 

Krystal saw little Kyuhyunnie playing alone and decided to walk over to keep him company for a little while, not wanting him to be alone like he usually is on such a special day.

 

"Hi, sweetie. What did Santa give you?" Krystal asked, patting his head and taking a seat on a chair next to the window.

 

"He brought me a Superman action figure. It's not what I wanted but I can always try again next year." Kyuhyun answered, not looking up so she wouldn't see his tear-filled eyes again.

 

"Don't worry Kyu, maybe it was just not the right time for you to receive your gift. Still, never lose hope. Alright?" She then patted his back and stood up, heading over to the kitchen to help with the dishes.

 

"Yes, noona. I promise to never lose hope." Kyu whispered.

 


 

Several months passed and soon it was already May. Still, Kyu never lost hope.

 

It was May 27th and Kyuhyun had a feeling that today was going to be a good day. He had gotten up early and got ready to go out with the rest of orphanage's children since today was field-trip day. 

 

As soon as the clock hit 8:50am, Kyuhyun ran down the stairs to the orphanage's main entrance and got in line. Being the youngest there, of course he was first.

 

All the children were led out of the orphanage and into the city to a park. There, after receiving a 'be good boys and girls' speech from Krystal, the children ran towards the swings and the monkey bars. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, saw a cute puppy and ran towards it to play. The puppy, being the playful creature it was, allowed Kyuhyun to grab his orange ball and play fetch with him. 

 

"Yah! What are you doing to my puppy?" asked a dark haired, feminine looking man who was walking towards Kyuhyun.

 

"I'm playing with him. We were both alone, so I decided that I would play with him to keep him company." Kyuhyun answered, not afraid of the man's anger.

 

"Where is your mother? Hasn't she ever told you not to play with strange dogs?" The man asked, placing his hands on his hips.

 

"I don't have a mom." Little Kyuhyunnie answered, looking down at his feet and dropping the dog's toy.

 

The man, realizing the mistake he just made, kneeled in front of the child and asked, "What do you mean you don't have a mom? And what about your dad?"

 

"I'm an orphan, I don't have parents. The orphanage's director, Krystal noona, is over there, in case you want to talk to her." He answered, kicking imaginary rocks at his feet and holding back his tears.

 

"Oh." The man didn't know what to say to make the child feel better, so he said the first thing that came to his mind. "There's nothing wrong with that, I don't have parents either...My name is Heechul, what is yours?"

 

"Kyuhyun," the child answered, sniffing. "Why don't you have parents? Did the leave you at an orphanage when you were born too?"

 

"No, they died in a car accident when I was already nineteen," answered Heechul before coming up with an idea to cheer up the boy. "Well Kyuhyun, would you like an ice-cream?"

 

Kyuhyun then looked up to meet Heechul's eyes with his own eager ones.

 

"Really?" Kyuhyun asked sounding hopeful since he rarely got the chance to eat such a special treat.

 

"Yes, really. Come on, let's go." Answered Heechul, taking Kyuhyun's small hand in his own.

 

Hand in hand, they crossed the street and were talking to the ice-cream man when they heard a voice behind them.

 

"Chullie, have you kidnapped a child?"

 

"Hannie, we both know how desperate I am but I would never kidnap a child—well, at least I don't think I would..." Answered Heechul, taking the idea into consideration.

 

Taking Kyuhyun's free hand, Hangeng leaned down and said, "Hi there, little one. What's your name?"

 

"I'm not little, I'm already six!" answered a frowning Kyuhyun, turning away and staying closer to Heechul's side.

 

"You're six? Oh, then you are a big boy!" exclaimed a nervous Hangeng, trying to get on the child's good side again.

 

Chuckling, Heechul ruffled Kyuhyun's hair. "Go and find Heebum before you make things worse, Hannie."

 

"Fine." After shooting Heechul a glare, Hangeng turned around and left to find Heebum. 

 

"Who is he?" asked a curios Kyuhyun, turning to look at Hangeng chasing after the black puppy named Heebum.

 

"Him? Well he's my husband, Hangeng," answered Heechul, shooting a loving glance toward the love of his life.

 

"Ohhhhhhhh" was all Kyuhyun said, looking from Heechul to Hangeng and back. After watching Hangeng trip over a rock, Kyuhyun decided to continue, "He's not that smart, is he?"

 

Heechul couldn't help but laugh out loud at the child's remark. "You're right, but he is the most loving, caring and perfect person in the whole wide world, so that sort of makes up for it."

 

"Are you sure?" Kyuhyun asked, highly doubting the possibility.

 

"Completely," answered Heechul, watching his lover struggle with Heebum.

 

"Oh..." Kyuhyun then turned and stared curiously at Hangeng.

 

 

"Hyunnie, it's time to go!"

 

Kyuhyun looked back to see Krystal noona waving her hand to catch his attention. Apparently it was already time to go.

 

Little Kyuhyunnie had spent the entire day playing and talking with Heechul, Hangeng and Heebum. He had so much fun and really didn't want to go. He would miss his new friends.

 

"I have to go now," said a sad Kyuhyun.

 

"It's ok, we'll try to visit you in the future, alright?" Hangeng tried to comfort the child by ruffling his hair, shooting Heechul a suggestive glance without Kyu noticing.

 

"Ok...thank you for everything!" Kyu suddenly jumped up and hugged both men before turning around and running towards Krystal and the other children. "Bye!"

 

Kyuhyun didn't want anyone to see his tears, so he walked behind Krystal, looking down at his feet.

 

For the first time, he had felt like he belonged somewhere. He had been happy and he even felt loved. For the last time, he looked back at Heechul and Hangeng, longing for a couple like them to adopt him in the future.

 


 

Two days later.

 

"Noona, why are we packing my things? They haven't even met me...what if they don't like me and then we have to unpack again?" huffed an annoyed Kyuhyun.

 

Krystal noona had woken him up early and told him that a couple was going to visit him and maybe adopt him, so he had to pack just in case.

 

"I have a good feeling about this, Hyunnie," Krystal smiled to herself secretly. "Trust me."

 

Little Kyuhyun just shrugged and decided he didn't care, he wouldn't be the one unpacking his suitcase when he got rejected after all. 

 

He decided to go walk around the orphanage to pass time until the couple arrived. A while later, he bumped into a familiar person.

 

"Hi, Hangeng hyung!" Kyuhyun was happy to see his friend. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Hi, Kyu! Well, didn't I promise to come and visit you?" Hangeng chuckled, ruffling Kyuhyun's hair. "And why are you dressed up so nicely? Something special happening today?"

 

"Krystal noona made me wear this. She said a couple wanted to adopt me but I don't believe her!" Huffed Kyuhyun, crossing his small arms over his chest.

 

"And why is that?"

 

"Because how can a couple say the want to adopt me if they haven't even met me..." Kyuhyun answered, rubbing his eyes to make the tears go away.

 

"Hey, what's wrong?" Hangeng asked, pulling Kyuhyun up in his arms.

 

"W-when people come, they usually don't want to adopt me because they say I'm rude." Mumbled a sobbing Kyuhyun, circling his arms around Hangeng's neck. "Why can't you and Heechul hyung adopt me?"

 

Stunned at his direct words, Hangeng decided to ask, "Would you really like that?"

 

"Y-yes..."

 

"Yah! Why is our kid crying?!" yelled a fuming Heechul, stomping over to Hangeng's side. "It's our first day as his parents and you're already making him—"

 

"Heechul hyung?" Kyuhyun turned his head to look at the loud diva.

 

"Yes sweetie?" Heechul, having a 180 degree transformation, stretched out his arms to take Kyuhyun in his embrace.

 

"Don't get mad at Hangeng hyung, it's not his fault." Plead Kyuhyun.

 

"Fine. But tell me, why were you crying?" Asked Heechul, rubbing Kyuhyun's back.

 

Blushing, Kyuhyun hid his face between Heechul's neck and shoulder, muttering the answer.

 

"What?"

 

"He said that he was crying because he wants us to adopt him." Answered Hangeng, pulling both of them into his embrace.

 

"Oh...but we can't do that," Heechul said, turning serious.

 

"W-why?" Asked Kyuhyun, feeling his heart break.

 

"Because we can't adopt the same person twice, it's illegal you know." Heechul answered chuckling.

 

"Really?!" Kyuhyun couldn't believe his ears. "Does that mean you are my parents now?"

 

"Well, this paper we just signed says that, so I guess we are." Pulling out a paper from his pocket, Hangeng showed it to Kyuhyun, pointing at their signatures.

 

"Yay!" Tears forgotten, Kyuhyun held on tighter onto Heechul and Hangeng, happy that such good people had decided they wanted him as their child. "Thank you Heechul umma and Hangeng appa!" 

 

Stunned at their new titles, the couple was speechless for a moment, letting the struggling child down to the floor.

 

Kyuhyun, excited as ever, ran toward the main office yelling, "Krystal noona! Krystal noona! I have parents!"

 

 

After an hour of saying goodbye to the people at the orphanage, it was finally time to go to his new home with his new family. He took both of their hands in his as they made their way to the car, laughing happily out of joy.

 

"You know, our neighbors who live across the street, Donghae and Eunhyuk, have a kid around you're age too, so you will have someone to play with whenever you want." 

 

"Really?!" Kyuhyun couldn't believe his luck, not only does he have a new family, but he will now also have a new friend. "What's his name?"

 

"Sungmin."

 


 

December 24th, 2014

 

"Dear Santa,

 

This year I'm writing to you not to ask for something, but to thank you. This last year you finally gave me the gift I had asked for.

 

I'm guessing you forgot to give me my present last Christmas, but I didn't mind receiving my gift until May. Thanks to you, now I know that it doesn't have to be Christmas for someone to receive the most life-changing gift.

 

Even though Chullie umma is sometimes scary, he's the very best umma there could possibly be in the whole wide world. Even if he acts all bossy sometimes, deep down I know he really loves Hannie appa and me very much.

 

Hannie appa is just as perfect, he is very patient with me and always makes sure umma and I are happy. What Chullie umma said is true, he is the most loving and caring person there is in the whole wide world.

 

I love them both a lot. They always try to work hard to make me happy, but what they don't know is that they made me the happiest boy alive the day they adopted me. They are the best gift ever Santa, thank you so so soooooooo much! I will forever be grateful to you.

 

P.S. This year, Hannie appa and my wifey Minnie helped me make enough cookies for all of your reindeers and you. We hope you like them!

 

Love, Little Kyuhyunnie."

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thanks for being so patient, I know I promised to update it soon since last year! lol xD *runs to hide behind couch after that lame and unavoidable joke*

Anyways, Happy New Years to everyone! And happy birthday to our never aging bunny Sungmin *\^.^/*

 

Ignore typos and remember that opinions on this fic are very welcomed and appreciated! ^.^

 

Thanks for reading! Love you <3

 

 

January 1st, 2015