Games

Perfectly Imbalanced 2

03.


 

“Jongdae. Evening.”

Jongdae snickered at Chanyeol’s appearance. “Honestly, who would’ve thought?”

“What?”

“I need to talk to you about something.”

“About what? What’s wrong?”

“Chanyeol, you know, as a friend, I respect your and Baekhyun’s conventional...interests, I mean, we live in a world where it’s not that frowned upon anymore. You two aren’t the only one I know who has some pretty peculiar...kinks.” Jongdae honestly couldn’t think of any other word to call it.

“Okay, where is this coming from?”

“I’ve been receiving complaints from the agency about the helpers you fired.”

“Of course.” Honestly, if there was one person they can count on to write their bibliographies, it would be Kim Jongdae. He’s like a human journal. “Come on, we pay them properly so it doesn’t matter right? We’re just playing a game.”

“Oh, a game,” Jongdae said, nodding, about to make a paint. “Tell me again the mechanics of this game and how you actually determine the winner. Is it by how long you can stand watching your partner having another man’s tongue shoved down his throat? Or by how many decibels of moans can Baekhyun do before reaching his limit?”

“Okay, it’s not like that.”

“I know what you two are thinking. You think that because you’re Chanyeol and Baekhyun, you can do anything, be anything. But you two are only human. Sooner or later, one of you is going to snap and all of this will get out of hand. When that time comes I will be laughing because I warned you.”

“Look, you don’t have to keep worrying about us. We’ve grown a lot the past year. Whatever happens, we can handle it.”

Jongdae sighed. Chanyeol can see how genuinely bothered he is and honestly wished he didn’t. It’s not like something worse than almost getting killed in front of the love of your life will happen. “I just...I know how selfless and careless you two can be so I’m not worried that the both of you will cheat on the other or whatever. I’m just worried that you two might self-destruct.”

Chanyeol gives him a look. “Okay, I don’t know what you’re talking about but trust me, alright?”

“In any case, I know a couple therapist--”

“Which we won’t need. Honestly, Jongdae. We don’t play games we can’t handle. It’s all fun.”

“Fine.” Jongdae finally gives in. “But this will be the last caretaker I’ll let you hire. If you fire them again, you’re gonna have to start hiring es or whatever to play in your stupid game.” 

“I’ll pay them twice if you’re that worried about your income.”

Jongdae snarls at him. “I’m not like you.” Chanyeol merely laughs at his reaction.

--

“Megan!” Baekhyun calls sweetly, sending shivers down Minseok’s spine.

Megan slowly turned around at that familiar voice and Minseok can clearly see her distressed smile. “Baekhyun. Hi. I--it’s--long time no see.”

“Right . It’s been like what? Five years? Well for me at least. For you, it depends on when you last the TV and saw my face.” And there it is. Baekhyun’s first degree of attack. Minseok was mentally facepalming. Though it is amazing how Baekhyun could pull off an attitude without sounding like a drag and maintaining class.

Minseok turned to Megan. She was smiling but her eyes were screaming. Of course. One thing you want is to cross paths against the Byun Baekhyun at this kind of event. “Uh, listen Baekhyun, now is really not a right time--”

“Oh, relax. I’m not here for a catfight.” There were faint groans of disappoint at the background. “I’m just here to catch up with you.” Baekhyun then grabbed her by the waist and turned to her companions. “You won’t mind if I borrow her for a while, would you?” Then he showed them his sweetest smile. Minseok snarled. This is a devil in human form. Of course how could anyone refuse that face. Minseok couldn’t even if he knew he had an ulterior motive.

Minseok grabbed him. “What are you doing?”

“Shh.” Baekhyun says as he pulled Megan with him.

Baekhyun took her to the porch, away from the crowd. 

“Is this where you kill me?”

Baekhyun chuckles. “Relax. I don’t bear grudges. That doesn’t mean I forget though.”

“Look, about that, I’ve already--”

“How’s work?” 

Megan stared at him, surprised. “What?”

“I heard you took over your sister’s position.”

“Oh.” Megan blinked in confusion. “Yeah.  Since she’s still in the hospital.”

“Too bad. I sure hope you’re not like her. She was your father’s puppet. Followed everything your father told her to do, to say. Didn’t have an ounce of initiative.” Baekhyun caught her staring. “Or are you?”

Megan kept staring at him, trying to make out his expression. But she’s never had luck trying to read him. She can never tell what Baekhyun’s thinking, planning, or what his motives at the moment are. “If this is about Luhan, I’m sorry but my father specifically said--”

“Ah, how nostalgic. Sounds exactly like what your sister used to say.  It’s like she’s right here.”

“Baekhyun.”

“I’m just saying, you saw his potential, didn’t you? Not only that, he’s got a pretty impressive names behind his. That’s why you originally agreed to the collaboration, right? It’s something new for you, for your company. But your father had already made up his mind before he even gave you the task. Maybe you didn’t pick it up or voluntarily defied him, either way, his only response was rejection.”

“It’s not like I can do something about it.”

“What happens when your sister is released from the hospital? Have you ever thought about that?” Megan only stared at him. “I’m pretty sure your father would rather have her as a puppet than someone who couldn’t act on a given order.”

“Of course, she’s been in that position longer than I have.”

“You’re still new, I know, but it’s important to show potential this early. Your father’s not gonna live forever. Someone’s gonna have to take over the company once he’s gone. And I sure don’t want that puppet of a sister you have sitting on that throne. But you, you’ve got potential.”

“Even if you tell me this, I won’t be able to change his mind.”

“I’m sure his chairpersons are all openminded.  You only need to target them. After all, they will be the one to welcome you when your time comes. And you know what names you could use? Luhan’s. And everything behind his. Ours.” Megan’s eyes widened. “It’s like domino.”

“This...” Megan started. “You’re willing to bet your names for Luhan?”

“Would you rather have me resort to investigation? You know I don’t like inconsistencies. And when I find one, I immediately pluck out the cause.” Baekhyun noticed her change in expression. “See. You’re hiding something. As usual, you’re too easy to read.” Baekhyun honestly could care less who was interfering with Luhan’s success, but nonetheless he doesn’t like this kind of game.

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about. My father simply said-” Baekhyun had stopped listening. It seemed legit. Megan might really have no idea the motive behind the sudden change in the agreement. “Baekhyun, you know I am in no position to defy my own father.”

Baekhyun didn’t have much patience, to start with, so he couldn’t help but snap at all of her questions eventually. “Do I have to talk to your father myself? Because then, I’d definitely make it clear that you and your sister are not needed if you can’t even relay a simple message like this.”

“Fine.” Megan said in the end. “But just so you know, I’m not doing this for that stupid domino, but because I actually see the potential in Luhan. Still, I won’t promise anything.”

Baekhyun smiled at her. “That’s all I needed to hear.”

--

When Jongdae finally found someone he actually knows in the party aside from that problematic duo, you could imagine his delight. He immediately approached Minseok, with caution, as he seem to be pulling an explosive drunk person ready to shoot his projective vomit any second behind him. 

“Have you seen Baekhyun?”

“He went to the porch with a friend earlier. I’m not sure if he’s back yet though.”

“Thanks.” Jongdae said with a smile and immediately left to get away from that stinking smell.

--

When Baekhyun came back to the party, Chanyeol immediately walked up to him. He seemed to be anxiously looking for him. “There you are. Where were you?” Baekhyun asked.

“Jongdae kept me busy with his unending gossip. How about you?” Chanyeol replied while putting his arm around Baekhyun.

“Oh, I was catching up with an old friend. “

“Who? Louis?” 

“No, another one.”

Chanyeol stopped. “You’ve got another one?” Baekhyun immediately noticed the change in his tone. 

“I meant, another close friend of mine from college. Are you okay?”

Chanyeol stared at him. “Yes. I was just asking. What’s wrong with that?”

“You sound weird.”

“I’m just asking Baekhyun. If you don’t like me sniffing around, maybe you should actually introduce me to your friends beforehand for once.”

Baekhyun gave him a look. “Are you accusing me of something?”

“Depends. Should I?”

Baekhyun chuckled in disbelief. “Are you seriously using that tone with me?” He asked, pushing Chanyeol’s arm off of his shoulder.

“I’m not sure what’s gotten you so riled up, Baekhyun, I was just asking a simple question. Unless, you have a reason why you don’t want me knowing about your past...flings.”

“So this is about Louis? Look, the last time I talked to him was before I ran away from home. I had no reason to suddenly talk about him when I haven’t even talked to him ever since I met you.”

“You haven’t really changed, have you. You still can’t help but hide things from me.”

Baekhyun bit his lip and clenched his fists, trying to calm his emotions down to avoid making a scene. “I don’t even know what to tell you right now.” He said as he walked away, scurrying towards the door.

Chanyeol can only watch him, his feet seemed to be glued to the ground. When he turned back around, he saw Jongdae starting at him, giving him a look, reminding him of his warning. Instantly, Chanyeol decided to chase Baekhyun.

Fortunately, Baekhyun only got as far as the fountain, which was only a few feet from the door. When Chanyeol caught up with him, he immediately grabbed his arm and pulled him into a tight embrace. “I’m sorry,” were his first words. “I didn’t mean to say that. I trust you, okay. I just hope that you trust me too. I just don’t like feeling this way.” Maybe it’s because Jongdae put ideas into his head but even if that was the case, he shouldn’t have gotten swayed by it.

Baekhyun softly pulled away from the embrace so he can see Chanyeol’s face. “Chanyeol, you should know that I’m never going to tell you everything about me, about my past and the people in it.” Chanyeol only stared at him. “But that’s not because I don’t trust you. It’s because you’re my new world and I’d like to keep you away from all of those things, the things I left behind when I ran away.  I don’t want you anywhere near them, because you’re mine.”

You’re wrong, Jongdae, you can warn us about everything but we’ll have conflicts like this. But more importantly, we’re always going to resolve it like this.

“Well, I don’t want you near them either, because I’m more possessive than you.” Chanyeol replied with a slight chuckle and kissed Baekhyun’s temple. “Sorry for using that tone on you.”

“Fine. I forgive you.” Baekhyun replied, tiptoeing to be able to kiss Chanyeol on the lips. “Of course, you have to buy me  shoes." Chanyeol pinched his cheeks.

--

The morning after the party, Chanyeol was woken up by the noise of a mixer. He lazily went down the stairs and caught Baekhyun reading what looked like a cookbook.

“What’s this?”

Baekhyun turned to him. “Oh, good morning.” He raised his head to receive Chanyeol’s kiss. “I’m trying to cook something new.”

Chanyeol looked around the area. It was a total mess.  “Okay, but who’s gonna clean this all up?”

“Dont worry. I hired a new maid.” Baekhyun says with a wink. But Chanyeol seemed to be still sleepy to catch up.

“I’m gonna take a bath.” Chanyeol says, yawning as he leaves the kitchen.

--

“How bad is it?” Sehun says over the phone.

“On a scale of 1 to 10, I think an eight. Sir Luhan’s been biting his nails since he came in.” Youngji reported, sounding genuinely worried about the state Luhan is in since coming to the office. “I’m worried he might not have any nails left!”

“Relax, Youngji, that’s not gonna happen. Make sure he eats lunch, alright?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Keep this line open. I’’ll call again later.”

“Of course, sir.”

Sehun hung up and sighed. 

“Trouble, sir?” Jimin asked while serving tea.

“Yeah,” Sehun replied lazily. “Luhan’s been out of it lately. I think the pressure is finally getting to him.”

“I heard he’s having problems with the Fancy Couture deal. I’m sure it’ll be fine.” Jimin said. “I do hope the pressure gets to you as well.” She added while eyeing the bunch of paperworks on Sehun’s desk.

Sehun gives her a look. “I said I’ll get on it!”

“Sir, you said that last week.” Jimin retorted. “I’ve already checked the revisions, all you need to do is sign. In addition, we have to start hiring employees so can you please just go over their credentials and choose so I can give them a call?”

“If you start serving me cake, I might actually get on it.”

“We are not compromising, sir. This is your job. And no, CEOs don’t eat cake so carelessly in the office.” Jimin reminded sternly, ignoring that little pout. 

“Stop giving your secretary a headache, Sehun.”

The two turned to the door in surprise. “Jongin. I didn’t know you were coming.” Sehun says.

“I rang.” Jongin said, glancing at Jimin.

“Oh, I’m so sorry!”

“It’s alright. I can understand.” Jongin said while chuckling. Jimin bowed when he walked in, and hurriedly went back to her table. “What’s this? You still haven’t done any paperwork?” Jongin looked at the pile of paperwork with awe. “When Chanyeol took over, the company was back on its feet after a week.”

“Okay, don’t compare me with Chanyeol. He swallowed a whole book.” Jongin is sure he’s heard that somewhere before. “Anyway, I don’t think this company will fall just because I delayed finishing some paperworks.”

Jongin feigned tears. “This idiocy is making me cry.”

“Hey!”

“So, how’s Luhan holding up?” Jongin asked, putting Sehun’s  wellness at the back of his head. “I’m worried about him, specially now Baekhyun’s not here. He’s still a...baby bird--” Jongin almost snarled at the nickname he thought. “--in the business world, isn’t he?”

“He’ll be fine. He’s like...26? He’s not gonna curl up and bawl like a baby if something doesn’t go his way. I’m sure he’ll think of something. Plus, it’s good to experience failure this early, right?” Sehun said, with his eyes fixed on the ceiling, his head leaning against the back of his chair.

Jongin stares at him. Sehun’s words sounded apathetic, talking with rawness in the air, but his face betrayed him, showing how worried he really is. Jongin can only smile secretly. Sehun has really grown a lot. “Well, maybe I don’t have to worry that much.” Jongin said and fished out something from his pocket. “By the way, here. It came this morning.”

Sehun stared at the item.

--

Chanyeol was scurrying out of the kitchen, all dressed up, with pan on his mouth when he found Baekhyun lying on the couch, talking with someone on the phone. 

“Hey, B.” No response. Just giggling. “Baekhyun!”

Baekhyun sat up in surprise. “Why are you yelling?”

“I wasn’t, I was calling you.”

“Oh, sorry.” Baekhyun immediately hung up the phone.

“Who were you talking to?” Chanyeol asks while scanning the drawer by the stairs for his keys.

There was a pause. “Uh, Louis.”

Chanyeol’s hand stopped for a moment. “This early? Doesn’t he have a fiancee to tend to?” He was too busy looking for his keys that he did not realize Baekhyun was  already beside him until the smaller had his arms around his torso.

“Are you jealous?” Baekhyun asks, smiling mischievously while rubbing his head against him like a cat.  Chanyeol tried not to look at him, knowing he’s always been weak against Baekhyun’s cuteness. “He just called to say his fiancee’s pregnant and we ended up talking about baby names.” 

“A baby, huh.”

“If I was a woman, we’d probably have a dozen babies now.”

“A dozen is too few for this one.” Chanyeol says while subtly pointing at his crotch.

Baekhyun gives him a look. “Park Chanyeol!”

“You started.” Chanyeol says with a smirk. He grabs the key from the drawer and walks away, chuckling at Baekhyun’s reaction.

Baekhyun watches him grab a pair of work shoes, leaning against the cabinet. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to the garage to monitor the inspection.” Chanyeol answered. “It’s on the calendar, didn’t you see it?”

Baekhyun glanced at the calendar and clicked his tongue at the small sticky note. “I didn’t know that’s what we bought the calendar for.” 

“I’ll be back before dinner,” Chanyeol says and pulled Baekhyun closer, kissing his pout away. “No games, okay?”

“Sure.” Baekhyun said sarcastically.

Chanyeol pinched his cheeks, smiling, before walking out of the door.

--

He has to admit, he needed a lot of guts to come to Fancy Couture himself. He knows begging is definitely out of the question, he can risk being in that humiliating state, but he could at least try to convince Megan again, and if it comes down to it, maybe he’d head straight to the CEO’s office. 

He’s lucky Megan agreed to meet him at such short notice. Maybe if this deal really doesn’t work out, he can still make collaboration plans with her in the future, but right now he’s got nothing but this. There was no way in hell he’d do what Chanyeol’s sisters had suggested. 

When he arrived, Megan’s secretary immediately led him to her office, stating that she has been expecting him. She seemed pleased. 

Megan chuckled, cutting him off. “About that, the company re-signed the contract. I’ve already talked to Gyuri about it and told her to relay the message to you. I called earlier but it seems  your phone line is quite busy.”

My phone line is busy? Why is my-- Luhan shook his head. “Wait, r-really?”

“Yeah, well, I convinced my father that this investment wouldn’t be that bad, although it is a bit risky, but we both see the potential in you. He’s just the type who’d rather see results first. And, frankly, it’d be really good to see good results for this collaboration project.”

Luhan couldn’t hide his wide smile. “That’s--that’s a relief. I promise you, there will be results and you won’t be disappointed.”

Megan chuckled. “That is not how you should act. You’re a CEO. You should be proud whenever and wherever you are.”

Luhan immediately closed his mouth.

“Ah but that’s part of your charm, I guess, so it’s okay. You’ll get used to it.” Megan added. “So, it seems we’ll be seeing each other a lot now. Wanna come eat with me?”

“Sure, I’d love to.”

--

The garage was busy when he arrived, although it seemed to be under control. Today, there will be an inspection. Ever since partnering up with the Van der Gilts, the number of work hazards, lost items, and accidents in delivery have decreased dramatically, but of course the quarterly inspection is still necessary. Since this isn’t Korea, Chanyeol has no hold over theft within the employees but it would be better to monitor the production and delivery himself for damage control. He’s always been hands-on with this kind of tasks back in Korea but now he has Yixing to do all of those stuff for him.

“Hey, Chanyeol.” Chanyeol turned to Kris who was approaching him. “What are you doing here? Is Baekhyun with you?”

“No, he’s at home.”

“Isn’t that where you should be right now?” Kris asks, giving him a confused look. Now that Chanyeol is able to have a conversation with Kris normally like this, he realized that he had changed a lot. 

“I wanted to see how the inspection is going.”

“Isn’t that what I’m here for?” Kris snapped back. “I can do my job fine so just go home and spoil Baekhyun.”

“No, it’s fine, it’s not like I was forced to come here.”

“Could it be that you miss working hands-on?” Kris inquired. “Are you getting bored with Baekhyun?”

Chanyeol almost didn’t react in time to deny. “What? Of course not! Where the hell did that come from?”

“Well, maybe you’re not but Baekhyun might be.”

“What is your problem?”

“I’m just saying, he loves playing games, especially risky ones. It gives him a sense of thrill and excitement. He might miss that too, like how you miss working hands-on.” 

Of course, Chanyeol acknowledged such possibility. Baekhyun does have a problem staying put sometimes but he was convinced that he’s not the only one who’s grown for the past year. 

“Anyway, I was just wondering. If you two are having problems, you should talk about it. I mean, you’ve seen what your ignorance did to your relationship in the past, haven’t you?”

“Yes, okay, you don’t have to give me that look every time we talk about it.” Chanyeol sighed and scratched his head. “But we’re fine. We’ll be fine. We’re not the same as before.”

“If you say so.”

Lately, people seem to keep noticing the same thing between them. Chanyeol still had a sense of assurance about his relationship with Baekhyun but maybe he’s the only one who doesn’t see it.

He stayed for a few more hours until Kris has finally convinced him to go home after lunch. Kris also handed him a few prototypes so he has something to work on at home. 

--

“I made it!!!” Sehun put the phone away from his ears and put it back only after Luhan has stopped screaming. “The deal was re-signed!”

“Really? That’s really good news! What happened?” He’s at home, taking half the day off since Jimin noticed he was too distracted to finish the paperwork.

“Megan said she convinced her father since she really see the potential in my clothing line.”

“That’s great, Lu! That’s really awesome.”

“Yeah, Gyuri is coming over now. Should we go out for dinner later? You know, to celebrate.”

“Sure. I’ll go make reservations now.”

“Nuh-uh. I’ll make the reservations since this is my celebration.You just go and look good.”

Sehun chuckled. “Alright. “

“Uh, hey, Gyuri’s here. I’ll see you later, okay? Love you.”

“Love you too, Lu.” Sehun had a big smile plastered on his face when he finally hung up. Today seemed to be a very good day. Dinner, huh. He thought. Maybe he can bring that item later. The mere thought of it was making him nervous but it’s the kind of nervousness he likes.

--

“Wipe that smirk off your face before I pinch your cheeks,” were Gyuri’s first words the moment she walked inside Luhan’s office. “Fine, I admit. We don’t always have to be too dramatic to win.”

“I think I’m just lucky.”

“Well, success is 80% luck after all. Good thing you’ve got that covered.” Gyuri said while taking a seat. “I brought the revisions. That old man is so hard to please.”

“Well, your stare decreased by ten, will you be fine with that?”

“I don’t think it’s bad for a startup.” Luhan answered with a shrug. “Plus, we did sound pretty demanding in the first contract.”

“We’re not pointing fingers.” Gyuri said while scanning the revisions. “By the way, I’ve already emailed the schedule of meetings and dress rehearsals so just tell me if there are dates you can’t make it.”

“Sure.” Luhan replied as he grabbed his phone.

“Also, I need a complete and final list of the models who will walk the runway on the event. How soon can you do that?” 

“Uh, by the end of the week, maybe?”

“Maybe?” Gyuri put down the folder and turned to Luhan. “Luhan, I need you to put down your phone and focus. I need a specific date.”

“I said by the end of the week. Don’t worry.” 

Gyuri gives him a look. “You’re too happy. What’s gotten you busy over there?”

“I’m trying to make reservations for dinner tonight.”

“With Sehun?” Luhan nodded. “Ah, youth. You better make most of it now before you two get too busy with your respective jobs.”

“Well then, I’ll get out of your way.” Gyuri said while standing up. “I’ll just leave the contract here and please, don’t forget to check the schedule and to send me the list of models, alright?” 

Luhan walked up to her to see her off. “I won’t, I promise. Thanks for your help, Gyuri. Really.”

Gyuri touched his cheeks and smiled. “Of course. You’re like family to us now. Have fun on your date, later.”

“I will.”  Luhan replied, smiling as Gyuri walked away.

--

In the end, Chanyeol still arrived home around dinner time. He just felt like he could use some fresh air and drove around the city for a while and completely lost track of time. He wasn’t even able to call Baekhyun but Baekhyun didn’t message him either so maybe the smaller was occupied with something. 

“Baekhyun, I’m home!” He yelled as he came in. He placed the box full of ammo prototypes to take his shoes off. And all the while, an unfamiliar pair of shoes had kept him distracted. He immediately checked the living room and found it empty. And then the kitchen. Baekhyun would text him if he had gone out but all of his shoes are here, plus an unfamiliar pair. 

He glanced upstairs. Oh, he doesn’t like this feeling.

--

Luhan went straight to the restaurant from work. There was a minor SNAFU with the production of the clothes that he had to fix immediately, giving him no time to go home to change. He had messaged Sehun about the incident and although Sehun didn’t seem to be bothered by it, he was honestly bummed out. He wanted to at least make an effort to look good for this night. 

He was already in their reserved table, looking around. There was a notable number of men dressed in tuxedos. There seem to be some kind of conference going on at one of function rooms. And then he spotted a familiar face walking towards his table.

“Luhan!”

He stood up in surprise. “Yixing! Hey!” He greeted back to Yixing. “I haven’t seen you for a while.”

“Yeah. It’s torture looking after Chanyeol’s company. “ Luhan immediately offered him to take a seat.

“Oh, you were at the conference there?”

“Yeah, something about increasing the production of ammos for the military.” Yixing replied with a subtle groan. Luhan can only imagine the stress he’s going through. Everyone knows how much Chanyeol’s presence is in demand in conferences like this. It’s the reason why he almost never shows up in his own office. “Anyway, I don’t want to talk about it. Why are you here? Are you meeting someone?”

“Yeah. Sehun.” Luhan immediately says with a smile he couldn’t seem to control.

Yixing couldn’t help but laugh at his adorable reaction. “Tell me if he’s coming so I can get out of the way.” Luhan nodded. “By the way, there were some rumors going around about Sehun. I was pretty bothered by it and thankfully I can ignore them now.”

“What rumors?”

“Oh, that his parents are planning to marry him with the daughter of a family friend.” Luhan felt his heart clench. He knows it isn’t true but just hearing it is painful. “Don’t worry. These rumors are normal for us. And they’re not true.”

“I know.”

“Still, maybe it’s time that you tell his parents about your relationship. It’s better to be honest about it.”

“We’ll talk about it. Soon. Maybe. Right now, we’re just focusing on our jobs.”

“Well, it’s good that you’re career-driven."

Luhan’s phone suddenly ring, interrupting them both.  “Oh, that must be him. Well then, I’m going. See you Luhan.”

Luhan smiled at Yixing, waving, before finally answering the phone. 

“Luhan!"

It wasn’t Sehun. “Megan. Hi. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Where are you? I’m driving to this great bar and I can’t contact anyone to come drinking with me. Are you free?”

“No, sorry, Megan. I’m meeting up with someone for dinner.”

“Ugh. Okay. Thanks anyway. See you.”

Luhan hung up and sighed. He checked the time. Sehun was five minutes late.

And then his phone rang again. This time it was finally Sehun. “What?”

“Yeah, sorry. It’s a bit of an emergency. My mother was kind of angry.”

“I see.”

“I’m really sorry, Lu. Maybe we can reschedule?”

“No, don’t worry about it. We can talk about it later. You just go.”

“Alright, see you later. Love you.”

“Love you.” Luhan sighed deeply as he hung up. And he was looking forward to it too.  Frustrated, he called Megan back and asked if her offer was still up. Something to at least distract him for the night.

--

Chanyeol silently walked upstairs, towards their room. He can smell it. The scent of a woman. And he can hear them, the faint giggles. It’s gotten him so riled up, which normally doesn’t. When he pushed the door open, the woman jumped from to the side of the bed. It seemed she was straddling Baekhyun. And then Chanyeol walked straight to her side, and pointed the gun at her. 

A gun. He doesn’t even know why he was holding. He might’ve grabbed it unconsciously. The woman was frightened now. Chanyeol has completely lost his focus, his mind was only on the trigger. 

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun yelled, jumping in front of the woman. “Put the gun down!” At first, he was enjoying it, seeing Chanyeol walk in with a gun but he realized that Chanyeol was ready to pull the trigger.

The woman, after being given signals from Baekhyun, immediately grabbed her things and ran out of the room. Baekhyun softly grabbed Chanyeol’s hand and pushed it down. 

“What’s wrong with you? I thought we agreed no guns?”

“I thought I said no games.” Chanyeol said sternly, receiving a confused look from Baekhyun. “Or maybe you weren’t playing?”

Baekhyun grabbed the gun from his hand. “I was playing.” He said and disassembled the gun. He then placed the gun on the table. 

“Are we sure this is still a game?” 

“Chanyeol?” Baekhyun stares at him. “Did something happen?”

Chanyeol glances at him and immediately regretted his transparency the moment he saw that worried face. “Nothing. It’s just...I don’t think I can play this game anymore.”

“Okay...we can stop. But are you okay?” Baekhyun asks again, slightly tilting his head.

Chanyeol sighed. “I’m sorry I’m selfish. You probably miss scheming and playing games and you might be getting bored but I can’t keep playing this game.”

“Wait, bored?” Baekhyun inquires, enunciating the italics. He had that look too, like he was offended, and Chanyeol knew this wouldn’t end well. “I do miss playing games and stuff but you actually think I’m getting bored of this kind of set up?”

“Baekhyun--”

“You think I’m that shallow? That I can only have fun by scheming, playing games and ruining other people’s day? We’re playing this game because it’s us, we both love games and more importantly, we both love winning. Or maybe I’m the only one who thinks so. Maybe you’re the one getting bored.”

“Don’t push this on me.”

“Really? Because isn’t the reason why we asked Kris and Yixing to watch our companies is for us to be able to finally spend more time together? To make up for the ones we lost? Instead, what did you do? You still demand reports, supervise, visit the garage--it’s like you want to go back to that life.”

“You know that’s not true.”

“You were wrong about me, maybe I’m wrong about you too.”

“Listen, I’m only worried about you. You know I always think about you first. And I don’t want to keep depriving you of something that you--”

Baekhyun groaned in frustration. “Chanyeol, you’re not, okay?! For Christ’s sake!” He felt like his frustration was exploding inside of him. It’s been a long time since they actually had an argument like this. “You still think I’m the same, don’t you?”

“I don’t, Baekhyun--”

“You do.”

“Where are you going?” Chanyeol asked as Baekhyun walked towards the door.

“I’m getting some fresh air!”

Chanyeol immediately chased after him. “No, we need to talk about this!” He said, grabbing the smaller’s arm.

“I keep telling you you’re wrong but you keep insisting your accusations on me and honestly, I can’t keep arguing with you like this!” Baekhyun yelled as he forcefully pulled his arm back. “I don’t know what’s gotten into you but we can’t talk if you’re not even going to listen to me.” 

“Baekhyun--”

“Don’t follow me.” Baekhyun said before hurrying down the stairs and out the door, leaving Chanyeol by the stairs on his own predicaments.

 


A/N:

omg hello! i'm really sorry for not updating for months. i was busy with graduation, reviews and board exams.

but i'll try updating weekly from now on! i've also edited some inaccuracies from the first two chapters but they (including this chapter) are still unbeta-ed.

I'm still trying to find my mojo. //sobbing

Also, this is a lot shorter than PI so maybe I can finish it in the first half of the year next year. 

Anyway, I hope you like this chapter! ;u;