Field Trip

Snapbacks & Ponytails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DOUBLE UPDATE, GO BACK A CHAPTER

 

The new family of Heo and Wang settled when the school week was over. Jackson finished his first week of school with a bang. He tried out for the fencing team and easily made the cut. He also made friends through the hip hop club.

 

 Youngji, on the other hand, tried out for empty spots in the school’s competitive dance team, but did not make it. Mr. Heo spent late nights with his team, conditioning them for the upcoming games. Mrs. Wang stayed at home as her physical condition was still unsteady.

 

Saturday morning

 

Youngji lay down at her bed. She had been awake since seven in the morning and it was now eight in the morning. As soon as she woke up, she was reminded of yesterday. She did not make the dance team. She pulled her pillow from under her head and put it to her face. The disappointment of not making it still lingered.

 

FLASHBACK

 

A seven year old Heo Youngji sat down in the baseball pit with all the other players. Just then, the break before half time started and a group got in the middle of the baseball field. Curious, Youngji got off the bench and walked closer. Loud music boomed through the speakers as the group perfectly coordinated their moves. gaped open at the sight. Unconsciously, Youngji had already walked out of the dug out and was several feet away from the group. One of the dancers spotted Youngji and ushered her to come closer. Excited, Youngji ran to them.

 

“Just follow what I do.”

 

END FLASHBACK

 

 

Dancing was a weird hobby for Youngji. She was always interested in it, but no one around her was into dancing. It didn’t help that most of the people she hung out with were the sporty, goofy guys in her school. She never asked for her dad for dance lessons either because he always signed her up for soccer lessons, basketball lessons, baseball lessons, rollerblading, and other competitive sports. Despite her little exposure to dance, she always had dancing in the back of her mind. Every time she thinks of dancing, she gets that small flashback of when she danced with that group when she was little.

 

 

Getting up she did a few stretches in front of her full body mirror. Now that she thinks back, it was so obvious she wasn’t going to make it. There were so many more people better than her. Sighing, Youngji put her hair in two low ponytails and put on a warm sweater. She walked out her room to a quiet and empty hall. It was equally as quiet in the living room and kitchen. It was still eight in the morning on a weekend so she figured everyone else was still asleep. Youngji looked through the fridge for any food she could make her breakfast. She reheated the rice in the rice cooker and took out containers of side dishes. Taking a big bowl, she emptied out the containers into it and did the same with the rice. She grabbed chopsticks and began mixing her breakfast.

 

Youngji sat down at the empty kitchen table and crossed her legs on the chair.  She placed the bowl on her lap and began to eat. It was quiet in the kitchen unlike the past few mornings with Jackson and his mom. Unconsciously, Youngji sighed. She heard doors open from upstairs to which she excitedly ran to the stairs with her bowl, “Ahjumma!”

 

Jackson’s mom was slowly walking down the stairs. “You’re awake early.”

 

Youngji jogged half way up the stairs to offer Mrs. Wang her elbow to which she thankfully grabbed.

 

The two walked into the kitchen.

 

“What did you make?” Mrs. Wang asked.

 

“Bibimbap.” Youngji showed.

 

“I’ll make you some-“.

 

“Its okay, ahjumma. This is fine. Just sit down and I’ll make you some tea.” Youngji offered. She sat Mrs. Wang down and put her bowl down. Taking out a teapot Youngji said, “Did you sleep well?”

 

Mrs. Wang replied with a yes while watching Youngji so energetic in the morning. She suddenly clapped her hands, “Oh, I just remembered. How were the tryouts? We were so absorbed in trying to compliment Jackson about making the fencing team.” She chuckled at how Jackson was childishly fishing for compliments yesterday.

 

Youngji filled the tea pot and put it on the stove top, “Oh, I didn’t make it.”

 

Mrs. Wang quietly gasped. She waited for Youngji to turn around, but she never did and continued making the tea, “There is always next time, sweetie.”

 

Youngji turned around with a smile, “Of course.”

 

‘So that’s why she was like that last night.’ Mrs. Wang noticed something about Youngji the day she met her. She laughed like a child. She didn’t conceal whenever she was happy and, weirdly enough, there was only sound of air coming out of . That night, Youngji’s eyes showed sadness and none of her laughs were genuine.

 

The two chatted on for the rest of the morning and then cleaned up the dishes.

 

Jackson and Mr. Heo woke up an hour later finding Youngji watching a variety show in the living room, while Mrs. Wang was finishing preparing food for Jackson and her husband-to-be.

 

“Morning, Ma.” Jackson grabbed a bowl of rice.

 

“Good morning, Jackson.” Mr. Heo greeted.

 

Surprised, Jackson just bowed. He was still getting use to his presence.

 

“So today, I’m taking you and Youngji on a field trip.” Mr. Heo sat down at the table with his coffee.

 

Before Jackson could respond, he heard the sound of running footsteps on wooden flooring get closer.

 

“Appa!” Youngji c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter