Prologue

Snapbacks & Ponytails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Got7 - Magnetic (너란 GIRL)

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Youngji flew across the hall into her dad’s room, her feet making loud banging noises on the wooden floor. She went straight for his drawers and began rummaging through the organized clothes and accessories. She ran her hands through her already messy hair, "Where could it be?" She took a quick tour around the house, trying to look for possible places. “Appa, have you seen my new school ribbon?” She slid down the stairs handles and landed right on her dog’s empty bed.

Her dad was leisurely passing by with coffee in his mouth, when he saw his daughter going own the stairs, “Youngji, be careful!"

“Appa.” she whined, “My ribbon!”

“Heo Youngji, I told you to get your stuff ready last night.” he scolded.

“I did! I left it hanging in the laundry room!”

Her dad turned his head to the side, “Wait..what color is it?”

“Its dark blue, of course!”

“…That wasn’t for Ohee?”

Youngji gasped turned to Ohee’s doggy bed. She ran to it, sliding on the wooden floors with her white socks, “Appa!!” she cried. She spotted a blue ribbon tucked in the corner of Ohee’s doggy bed. With a pout she picked it up and held up the slimy object, “Its all wet and bitten.” She gritted her teeth and looked around for her.  “Ohee!"

“Woof Woof Arf... (It wasn’t my fault...)” the guilty dog was hiding under the coffee table.

“I’m sorry, Youngji-yah.” her dad scratched his head. He caught a glimpse of the time and saw it was almost time for him to leave for work. “Here, I’ll give you money to buy a new one. There’s that small school outlet store close to your school, ” he reached into his pocket and took out twenty thousand won(~20 US dollars) from his wallet.  

Youngji put both of her hands out, “Thirty.” she said while showing him her pearly whites. “Since its your fault I have to skip breakfast."

He added another ten thousdand won.

Youngji smiled, “Thanks, Appa!”

He patted his little girl’s head and put on his jacket. “Ah, don’t forget!” he said as he grabbed his duffle bag, “Today-“

“Yes, yes. I know dad. Don’t worry.” Youngji also put on her winter uniform jacket.

“You always say that, but you end up forgetting. And what do you say? I’m sorry, appa! It slipped my mind-"

“I won’t forget. I won’t forget.” Youngji waved her hand. “Bye appa!” she gave him a hug and fast walked out of the house before he could start nagging.

“Are you sure you know how to get there?” In another temporary residence hotel room, two people were speaking in Cantonese.

“Don’t worry, ma.” Jackson held up a dictionary, “If I don’t understand something, I’ll just look in here.” 

“Ka yee, its safer to just look up the directions on your phone.”

He rubbed the nape of his neck, “I’m still getting use to the Korean texting.”

She looked at her son with a bittersweet expression, “Are you okay?”

Jackson nodded, “Yes. Don’t worry. I cried enough at the airport.” he joked.

His mom smiled and hugged her son, “My handsome son.”

Jackson put his chin on the top of her head. His eyes slightly drooped. Maybe he did still feel a little sad.

She patted her son’s back and let go of him, “Do you have enough money?”

Jackson nodded as he put on his thickest jacket. 

“Make sure to stop by that supermarket before you get home.”

“Mami, do you really need to bring something?” he put a scarf around his neck.

“Yes, I told you a few times already.” she tightly tucked the scarf under his jacket.

“Fine. I’ll be back.” Jackson exited the hotel room after putting on his shoes. 

“Don’t take too long.” with those words his mom waved him a goodbye.

When Jackson reached the hotel lobby, he took out his phone and opened the directions he copied down on his notepad. 

The breezy wind suddenly hit him as soon as he got out. He shivered and put on his hood, “Why is it so cold in this country.”

He walked down the streets of Seoul, looking around for his bus stop. An empty feeling washed over him when he saw a few students in school uniforms. How his missed his friends back home. He wouldve been on his way to school too in Hong Kong. He sighed and opened the directions once again, “Bus twenty-one.” He looked up from his phone and saw the exact bus heading towards the stop, “Oh yea!” he cheered.

A few students looked towards Jackson. Jackson sent them a friendly smile causing the girls to whisper amongst themselves.

Two bus rides later, Jackson finally got to his destination. He entered the store while taking off his hood and found it empty except for a few workers. An employee walked up to him, “Is there anything you need help finding?”

“Yeah, I need a school uniform.“ 

“For Seoul of Performing Arts HS?”

“Yeah!” Jackson said in English.

“Store unni! I need a dark blue ribbon!”

Jackson heard the loud voice of a girl in the quiet shop. He turned to the voice and spotted a girl in a yellow and dark blue uniform and running shoes. Her hair was in two messy ponytails.

“Here is the complete uniform for S.O.P.A. High.” Jackson’s attention turned back to the employee.

“Thank you.” Jackson grabbed the complete uniform set.

The employee gestured towards the counter, “You can have it checked out over there.”

Jackson walked over to the counter only to be cut by the loud girl.

“Ahjusshi, I’m actually late to school so please hurry.” Youngji slightly bowed signaling she was sorry for the inconvenience. 

Jackson scanned the girl’s uniform, ‘Yellow and dark blue?’ He looked at the uniform in his hands then one more time at the girl in front at him. ‘Are they the same?'

Youngji tapped her fingers on the counter and looked around as she waited. She finally noticed the other boy in the shop and looked at him. 

Jackson’s eyes made it all the way up to Youngji’s face where both of them made eye contact.

‘Why does he look familiar?’

‘Where have I seen this girl?'

“Here you go, student.” Youngji’s thoughts were interrupted by the cashier’s voice.

“Thanks, ahjusshi.” Youngji opened her canvas bag and stuffed the ribbon in it. She slowly walked away from the cashier counter, ‘I’ve seen him somewhere..’

Jackson put the clothes on the counter and turned back to Youngji, ‘Why does her face remind me of someone?’

Youngji kept thinking. His face was related to her dad. It was on the tip of her tongue. ‘Think, Heo Youngji!’ Youngji stopped in her place and fully turned to Jackson. If she didn’t say anything now it would bother her the whole day.

“Student, you’ll be late.” the cashier employee said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter