Battle Warning

Frozen Fear

Before JiYong could think of a suitable response Daesung and TaeYang pushed through the door.  The two generals had their arms around each other’s shoulders and were laughing together about something.  On seeing Dara they both forgot momentarily about their king and greeted her with all the enthusiasm of schoolboys. Daesung was the first to turn back to JiYong.  He too reached out to hug his old friend before holding him away to search the young king’s face.  JiYong pushed him away impatiently then folded his arms to hear an official army report.  It was short.

 

“My troops worked well with Imjayon’s army, Oh King, and the invaders have been sent home with a large debt to pay off.  You have Imjayon’s heartfelt thanks and debt of gratitude.”

 

“Very nice of them.”  Grunted JiYong then gestured out the window.  “Dara has come to warn me of my brother’s urrrm… plan to kill me and become ruler of both Ilindria and Seoulician.  I trust TaeYang that the home troops are in better order than you found them in.”

 

“Much.  But they dislike the idea of fighting for a king who would happily burn them alive if the fancy took him.” 

 

Dara flinched at the candid insult TaeYang had just handed JiYong.  Instead of incinerating his friend however JiYong laughed.  “You are as complimentary as ever TaeYang.  I have missed your honesty in my ears while you have been away.”  His face sobered into a frown once more.  “Right.  There must be a battle between ourselves and Ilindria.  Little did I ever dream of fighting again that land.”

 

                “You’re not fighting Ilindria.  Just its king.”  Dara had slipped up beside JiYong without him noticing and Dara’s voice at his shoulder made him jump.

 

                “He will have an army of Ilindrian soldiers Dara.”  Answered Daesung softly.

 

                “You will have three aims.”  JiYong was ignoring them.  “To destroy the forces of my brother and to render him so defenceless that I may then destroy him as fitting such a person.  The second is, obviously to protect our land.  Third…”  JiYong glanced at both his generals for the first time and Dara looked on, feeling rather out of this speech but still impressed by the bond she could see between the three men.  “Dara must be protected with the life blood of every man in the army.  I care little what happens to the king of Seoulician or any other man for that matter.  But if any harm comes to Princess Dara the man in any ways responsible will be burnt so slowly the dogs would starve while waiting for his meat.”

 

Dara shuddered convulsively at such a threat but before she could remonstrate a young army cub came flying through the door and up to TaeYang.

                “Sir! The king of Ilindria has sent a battle warning.”

 

TaeYang thanked the boy and both generals left the room.  JiYong was silent, staring out the window until Dara wondered if he was alright.  Finally he turned around and when Dara caught sight of his face she was once again looking at the little boy JiYong who had burnt his friend.

                “TaeYang’s words were true enough.  My army would rather fight against me than under me.  It is well that they are fighting for your safety rather than mine.”  JiYong looked very tired as he spoke. “Dara, so often I have longed for you to be here near me once more.  I’ve missed your company and counsel and restraint on my life.  But… not this way.  It is all wrong.”

 

                Abruptly he strode out of the room after TaeYang and Daesung.  Dara watched him go and bit her lower lip blankly.  She didn’t know either where she should go or what she should do.  There was obviously still a lot more to JiYong than the fire that raged through his body.  Bom stuck her head inside the door and Dara’s face lit up.

                “Come on.  You’re staying with me until it has all been fought out.”  Said Bom cheerfully and Dara wondered if she was supposed to feel cheerful.  As she left with Bom, the first rays of sunrise began to swipe rich, sleepy purple over the sky.

 

JiYong sat on his horse between Daesung and TaeYang.  Behind them the army of Seoulician stretched back over the empty plains almost to the city.  Despite his king, TaeYang had done a fine job.  As they watched, the army of Ilindria began to appear through the angry grey snow driving over the land.  JiYong’s horse moved restlessly, shuffling forward in his impatience.  As he held the animal back, JiYong reflected that his horse had more noble blood that the rider.  Then he glanced at TaeYang.

                “What will happen if you are killed in this battle my friend?”

 

TaeYang’s easy stance did not shift although his answer was so raw that both Daesung and JiYong flinched.  “Minzy will never know anything.  Her life will go on quite happily.”

 

“What of yourself JiYong?”  interjected Daesung hastily.  “What are you going to do about Dara after this is all over?”

 

“She is married.”  Replied JiYong stiffly, his eyes still on the troops opposite them.

 

“JiYong.”  Daesung’s resolutely incredulous voice commanded JiYong to look at him.  “You realise that your older brother must not live.” 

 

“Of course!”  JiYong looked shocked that there was any doubt.  “But what am I to do?  Plan my future on the chance of killing my brother’s wife so I may have her?  I think not.”

 

“Well…”  TaeYang’s eyebrows tilted ruminatively.  “There wouldn’t be much point of all this fuss if you weren’t.  You know you aren’t fighting because you care about your life or you kingdom Ji. You’re fighting to save her life.  Admit it.”  TaeYang elbowed his friend, eyes creasing in teasing.

 

JiYong moved his horse away.  “This is hardly a time for playing around TaeYang.”  He reprimanded primly and TaeYang rolled his eyes.  He sobered as JiYong added softly.  “That is my reason for fighting, granted.  But Dara has not yet become a widow.  The man is still alive and while he lives he endangers more lives than that of his wife.”

 

Back in her home, Bom’s cheerfulness slipped a little as she admitted all her worries for Daesung.  For two years she had lived with the fear of her husband dying at war and now she was again faced the possibility he would never come back to her again.  Dara felt the need to apologise for causing another war but didn’t know how.  Instead they began telling each other the news of both lands over the past three years.  Gradually they slipped into recounting memories to each other and soon they were talking about Bom’s wedding.  Dara remembered meeting Daesung, the Water Wielder, for the first time.  With his caramel-floss hair that waved back off his face and hung just to his collar, Daesung had stood with quiet humour beside Bom while his girlfriend bubbled out the story of their meeting and falling in love to Dara.  Over the months that followed Dara heard that story in much more depths and as she spent more time around the two, grew a healthy respect and love of her own for the strength and sense of fun in Daesung’s gladiator-like body.  Bom’s bubbly personality was perfectly sheltered and nurtured by his quieter, more solid personality and her sense of humour was reflected strongly in the teasing that often glimmered behind Daesung’s endearingly genuine eye-smile.  In the months that Dara was faced with marrying JiYong’s brother or leaving her kingdom without a king, she was also vicariously living the sweetest love story she had ever seen in her best friend Bom and the man who could spread water on the ground in love heart shapes and soon have a rich, green love heart growing at his feet.

 

Fiiiinally back again.  I know, readers hate being asked for comments and I'm not gonna do the whole "gimme one million comments or I won't update!" but... is anyone reading this? Cause... I kinda.. like this story but if no one else likes it there's not much point posting it. So.. just wondering.
And THANKYOU to those people who HAVE read it and HAVE commented on it, I am so greateful to every single one of you :')