Once Upon A Time...

Frozen Fear

PLEASE READ: When reading this story, if you decide to comment (I'd love you forever if you did) PLEASE do not use God's name wrongly or swearing.  Apart from that, my story is yours for the taking :) (in a manner of speaking)

 

Two small children ran over the hillside laughing.  The boy was dressed in black that glowed iridescent scarlet with tongues of orange as he ran.  The girl’s clothing was shimmering blue that reflected the wide blue sky above her.  As he dodged and skipped under the sun, the boy’s hair glinted black with the same, strange scarlet glow while the girl’s plait swung soft, deep blonde half way down her back. 

 

“Let’s play hide and seek!”  Called the girl and the boy came to a panting halt beside her.

 

“Ok.”  He agreed, grinning.  “I’ll find you.” 

 

“If you can!”  Laughed the girl, waiting until the boy had squinched his eyes shut before she ran on tiptoes off to the clumps of tall grass or rocks or odd trees that splattered over the hillside.  As she ran she paused occasionally at a flower or stick and placing her hand on them, held it there until the object was coated in solid, transparent ice. 

At fifty the boy stopped counting and looked around, searching for the hints of sparkling ice he knew would lead him to his friend.  It was a habit they had established long ago when Dara was still too little to seek him without help.  JiYong had started burning things so Dara would be able to pick up his trail when seeking and as she grew the habit stayed and became part of their game.  When Dara was hiding she left iced objects and as they grew the clues gradually helped to make seeking harder rather than easier.

JiYong found the first frozen clump of grass and reaching down to it, watched the ice evaporate before the fire that leapt from his fingertips.

 

It took the small boy several minutes to find and melt all the clues with the fire that danced so effortlessly from his hands. Looking around from the daisy he had just roasted, he saw a solitary couple of snowflakes floating over the bank down to the river that ran down the hill near the field they were playing in.  Throwing his arm out towards them with a grin, JiYong watched flame shoot through the air and zap the snowflakes into nothing but sizzles of steam.  Then he took off, sprinting over the grass calling to Dara that he had found her.  Jumping over the bank, he sent a stream of fire into the water making it splash and hiss at him as he landed and looked around for her.  She wasn’t there.  Suddenly he felt a light blast of icy cold hit his neck and fall into his shirt.  Whipping around he faced a laughing Dara as she stood on the bank and let tiny ice crystals dance over her fingertips then shoot onto Jiyong’s shoulders.  “JiYongie...”  She teased laughingly. 

 

Shaking his head in annoyance the boy scowled at her. “That’s not fair.  You changed places!”

 

“Oh yes.”  Dara’s face lost its impish grin for a moment before it was relit.  “But I still tricked you.”  Again she sent the tiny shafts of ice raining down on him and JiYong clenched his fists in annoyance.

 

“STOP IT!” He shouted.  “You cheated!” 

 

Dara giggled and sent the next shaft of ice directly into JiYong’s smooth sensitive neck.   JiYong scrambled up on the bank and faced his friend; baleful grievance in his small body as he flung both hands out.  Flames spewed out, swallowing at the ice and reaching for the girl it came from.  Dara shrieked and stumbled back as the heat stung her. There was a moment of confusion as a wall of Dara’s ice, made unconsciously by her thrown up hands, slapped JiYong’s fire then it melted and JiYong heard Dara’s scream of pain as the fire attacked her.  A few seconds later both ice and fire had disappeared and only the two frightened children were left.  JiYong had been thrown backwards by the force of ice meeting fire and had to sit up before he could crawl the few steps to Dara.  Carefully he pushed her onto her back then jerked back as Dara flinched away from the heat still in his hands.  Not knowing the heat still racing through his body the boy reached out again then froze as he saw the burn marks on her arms, legs, neck and face.  Dara sat up, dizzy and looking as if she was about to cry. 

 

“Here, put this hand on your other arm then use your ice to cool it.”  Instructed JiYong quickly, demonstrating with his own hands and still afraid to touch her.  Dara obeyed him and for several minutes there was silence while she placed her hands on whichever burn marks she could reach.  Finally she looked up only to see Jiyong kneeling in front of her tears spilling down his face. 

“I’m awful sorry Dara.  I didn’t think it’d go for you like that. I’m really…” for a moment he stopped, his bottom lip trembling and a tear balancing on his eyelash. Dara reached out and touching his eyelash with one finger, froze the tear then broke it off.

 

“It’s ok.  I’m alright and the burn marks are almost gone.  We can keep playing and no one’ll ever know.  I’m sorry for shooting you in the neck too JiYongie.”

 

So with mutual apologies the two went back to their games, but Dara couldn’t play for much longer and JiYong was much gentler than he usually was.  The incident had imbedded far deeper into the boy’s mind than it had in Dara’s. When Dara said she wanted to go home, JiYong walked silently back to her father’s castle with her and at the steps suddenly held out a strange blue stone.  It was the same kind of cool blue as Dara’s clothes and as she turned it over in her hand it seemed to change hue slightly the same way her own clothing did as she moved.

 

“It’s like you.”  Explained the boy gallantly.  “It’s cool and blue and pretty like you but if you hold it for a while, it gets hot.  Like me.”

 

Dara laughed and thanked him before running inside to show her father, king of that land, her present from JiYong, prince of the neighbouring land.

 

Greetings all! :D Soo... I wasn't going to write another fanfic but.. this happened.  PLEASE! Please give me constructive criticism if you can, I'm thinking of using this story for a uni assignment is it's suitable for any so any constructive critism I get will be MOST appreciated!
OH.  There is only one Kingdom in this story who's name is not based in a real Korean town.  See if you can pick which names do and do not come from real Korean towns :D