The Morning After

The Prince and the Pretty Boy

Sebastian had forgotten to draw the curtains before dozing off so the very first streak of morning light caught him unaware. He blinked to focus his eyes on the skyline outside. He groaned as he tried straighten his posture and sit up. His entire body was stiff and he couldn’t feel his legs. He surmised that it was stupid to go to sleep with one’s ankles crossed. He cursed under his breath as he slowly massaged his thighs to get some circulation back in them. He turned to glance towards the bed and saw the heap of a human being under the coverlet. After he was finally able to put his feet down on the floor, he painfully hobbled over to check on the inert form on the bed.

The boy was lying on his side, facing away from Sebastian. He leaned over to take a closer look at his face and was relieved to see the even breathing. His shoulders peeked from under the coverlet and his knees and his arms were huddled close to his chest. He slept curled up in a ball. Or a baby in mother’s womb. Sebastian smiled at the analogy in his mind. He carefully reached to brush away the fringe of hair that obscured the boy’s forehead and eyebrows. The accidental touch of his fingertips on his eyelids elicited a protesting moan. Sebastian straightened up, a little unnerved by the sudden noise.

He looked back through the window at the Seoul skyline to bring himself back to the reality of the day that awaited him. Though it was a Saturday, he still had a packed schedule. Work, errands and reading to catch up on. He kicked out his legs, one at a time to test if they were fully functional. Once he was certain not to trip over himself he proceeded to the bathroom to freshen up. He found a set of travel size toiletries, provided by the hotel and decided to clean his face. In lieu of toothpaste and toothbrush, he just rinsed his mouth with lukewarm water many times over. When he stepped out, he was startled by the sight of the boy, sitting up on the bed, hunched over and holding his head in his hands.

“Oh! Hello there. How are you feeling?” He braced to face the awkward situation with his customary calmness.

The boy groaned aloud in response, not looking up at him.

“That good, huh?” He couldn’t help but smile as he approached the foot of the bed and stood with his hands in his pockets.

The boy slowly dragged his head up and tried to focus on his face. He shook his head like a wet dog does to shake off water and immediately groaned aloud and fell on the bed sideways. His forehead scrunched up and he closed his eyes tight to fight the pain that must have shot through his head like a bolt of lightning.

“Aigoo! Rookie mistake. Too early for sudden movements.” Sebastian observed drily.

“I am…dying.” The boy mumbled after a sharply indrawn breath.

Sebastian actually chuckled softly. “Unlikely, but you are and you will be in considerable pain. What did you drink? Do you even remember?”

No answer was forthcoming from the boy, who was bare from waist up in plain view and barely clothed below the waistline too. He was either in too much pain to register that fact or his concern at his skimpy clothing (if that at all) was not a priority given his killer hangover. However, his movements had knocked the coverlet off his body and though he did not mean to, Sebastian could spy the evidence of his morning arousal, not hidden but merely covered by his navy blue designer briefs. Sebastian flushed as he forced himself look away. He cleared his throat and resorted to humor to ease the tingle he felt at the base of his stomach. It had been a long time…..almost seven months. He needed to take a trip to Miami soon.

“I hate to break it to you, kid, but we have to check out. How did you get here yesterday? Do you have a car? Do you feel you can drive now?”

The said kid dragged himself upright, slowly this time and met Sebastian’s eyes in incomprehension, as if in a trance. Then said in a soft, gentle voice, “I have a car.” The eyes were direct but gentle. But he soon dropped his gaze and looked away towards the window.

Sebastian pointed to the bathroom and said “Why don’t you freshen up and we can be on our way?”

The boy reluctantly placed his feet on the ground and had to force himself to stand up, in spite of the pain that seemed to assail him. He almost lost his footing and fell back on the bed. Sebastian reached out instinctively to steady him but the boy braced himself with quick reflex by breaking his fall by placing his arms on the bed. He took a deep breath and surged up on his feet again. He stood still for a moment to make sure he was steady on his feet before turning towards the bathroom.

Sebastian noted that he the boy was a couple of inches taller than he was. He watched his retreating back and noted that he had a nice skeletal shape. Long limbs, excellent height by Korean standards, legs that made up most of his height, a nice v shaped torso…..like runway models. Something clicked in his head. Mike had mentioned an agency and the fact that he had performed some cosmetic procedures on this boy. Sebastian surmised that the boy must be a model. That might explain why he was comfortable with his bare body, Sebastian thought as he gathered up his shirt, his jeans and the belt that was lying on the ground and draped them on the back of the chair that was his footrest for the night. He sat down to wait for the boy to finish his business in the bathroom. “But why didn’t he ask why he woke up without his clothes?” he wondered.

It was the sound of dry retching that caught his attention as he groaned to himself. He felt sorry for the boy but it was an inevitable consequence. Soon the boy appeared at the door of the bathroom, seemingly drained and still unsteady on his feet as he supported himself by holding onto the doorframe with both hands.

“Are you alright?” Sebastian asked out of politeness though he knew the answer already. “Your clothes are here”, he pointed to the chair in front of him. The boy staggered across the room to the chair. As he was about to pick up his clothes, his eyes fell on the leftover food on the plate that was Sebastian’s dinner and his face paled. He dropped his clothes and pressed a palm to his mouth and ran back into the bathroom. What followed were not dry retching. Sebastian belatedly covered the plate, feeling bad that he should had known better. He had lived through many a mornings like this though that seemed like a lifetime ago.

He got to his feet and peeped inside the bathroom to see the boy hugging the porcelain bowl, hunched over it. He stood next to the door, leaning against the wall but decided against intruding on an embarrassing moment. Soon enough though he was concerned at the strangled sounds of choking and gagging. He peered in to see the delicate frame of the boy heaving with labored breaths and shivering from the exertion. He frowned and stepped in. He crouched next to the boy and gently laid his palm on the boy’s back.

He rubbed his back and whispered, “You are fine. Don’t force yourself. Just breathe in and out.”

Though he did not look up, the boy seemed to calm down at his touch and his words. When Sebastian was sure that the boy was a little better, he got up to grab a hand towel and wet it thoroughly. He brought it out to the boy, who still had his face averted.

“Here, this might make you feel better. I will grab your clothes for you.”

A hand shot out unseeingly and Sebastian brought the towel to touch his fingers so that he could grab it. Sebastian was amused and felt pity for the boy at the same time. The kid was embarrassed and rightly so. Too young and too proud, he thought as picked up his clothes and went back to the bathroom. The boy was sitting with his back against the wall, knees drawn up, his face covered by the wet towel held in his hands. He looked like a street urchin, so fragile and vulnerable, obviously in pain. Sebastian felt that twinge again along with an urge to throw his arms around the boy and murmur words of comfort. He could almost feel a face from his memory snuggle against him at that very thought. His muscles, his skin, his nerves remembered the touch more quickly than his head could dream up the face.

He quickly placed the clothes on the vanity and turned away. He was not happy at the way his heart ached at the sight of the boy. He had fought too hard and had almost lost his mind in an effort to forget those years before and after that fateful event. He shut his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose in order to focus his mind on the present. He was not going to succumb to those haunting images again. He turned around at the sound rustling behind him and saw the boy was in the process of buttoning up his shirt, still not meeting his eyes. Sebastian turned to grab the tablet and the boy’s phone from the nightstand. He proffered the phone to the boy as he slung his jacket on his left forearm. The boy hesitated and then reached out to grab his phone from his fingers.

He picked up the keycard and pointed to the shoes at the foot of the bed.

“Your shoes and socks are here.”

The boy merely nodded and sat down on the bed to put his shoes on. Sebastian was hovering near the door when he heard that low, gentle voice again.

“Thank you. And I am …sorry about the mess. I apologize. You…… have been very kind. I am sorry to have upset your morning. You need not wait for me. I will see myself out.”

The boy was still not looking at him but from where he stood Sebastian could see the beautiful profile as he kept his head down to tie his shoes. A blush had heightened his color as he apologized. Despite his considerable height, the boy had the look of a waif. Sebastian was about to grant him his request but noticed how the boy stumbled as he stood up. He caught himself up in a flash. He had very quick reflexes Sebastian noted. But he wanted to make sure that the boy reached his car alright.

“It’s alright. Don’t beat yourself up. Happens to the best of us. Live and learn. Shall we?” He opened the door for him and waited.

The boy looked at him, clearly a little surprised at his gentle words but he let himself out onto the corridor without any further protest. Sebastian closed the door behind him and nodded his head in the direction of the elevators.

“That way. I just need to drop this at the reception and then I will see you to your car.” He said as he walked past the boy to get to the elevator.

He could spy from his peripheral vision that the boy had abruptly come to a stop behind him. He turned to see what the problem was. If the boy looked surprised earlier then now he looked utterly gobsmacked. His eyes looked nervous and a little suspicious at the same time. He raised his arm to scratch his head as his eyes darted here and there, anywhere but Sebastian’s face.

“You….need not….don’t have to…do that. I will be fine. Um…ok?” He stuttered.

Sebastian felt a strange twist in his chest as the boy looked so heart wrenchingly transparent with his fears. He probably thought that he had picked up an ajhussi stalker! With a smile that he couldn’t resist, Sebastian transferred his jacket to his right forearm and stretched his arm towards the boy.

“Come on. I just want to make sure that you are able to drive. After all……….” He was cut off mid-sentence as the boy spoke up hurriedly.

“Ok…ok. Thank you. I appreciate it.” He walked up to Sebastian and stopped short to execute a respectful bow, which took Sebastian by surprise. The boy walked on ahead toward the elevator and Sebastian followed with an amused expression. The boy seemed hell bent on keeping his eyes averted as they waited for the elevator. But once inside, he seemed overcome by the pain and moaned aloud as he leaned his back against the wall of the elevator. His head was tilted up and his eyes closed. Sebastian could see that he was in pain in the way his lower lip was caught in his teeth, as if he was trying to keep himself from crying.

“Head hurts badly, huh? I got some analgesic in my car. That might help.” He said compassionately but got no answer. The boy must be in terrible pain, he concluded. Soon the elevator door opened onto the lobby and he realized where he was, to be precise, in which country he was. Walking out of a hotel with a male companion first thing in the morning was going draw eyeballs and chances of being identified was extremely high. He quickly reached to punch the key to take them to the basement parking lot instead. He exhaled in relief as the elevator door closed shut.

“This is why I told you that I can see myself out. You need not bother.” A pained voice beside him spoke up. The boy turned his head towards Sebastian and opened his eyes which looked equally pained.

“Didn’t think this through, did you?” The boy smiled mockingly. But it was a self-deprecating smile.

Sebastian was taken aback by the astute observation. It was freaky the way this boy had read his thoughts. He seemed to be quite insightful in spite of his young age. They stepped out of the elevator and Sebastian looked around to find the bank of parking spaces assigned for the banquet guests. Very thoughtful an arrangement, Sebastian conceded. Only three cars were still parked. Sebastian noted the pristine white, high end Mercedes and chuckled. The devil was still at it! He decided to text Mike as soon as he got home. The boy had come to a stop next to Sebastian and looked at him quizzically.

Sebastian pointed to the car and smiled, “Our host. Still busy entertaining one of his guests, I guess.”

The boy blushed at the implication and bit back a smile. He pointed to his car and said “Well, there’s my car and…” he fished in his pocket, straining to pull out the key from the pocket of his tight jeans, which made Sebastian smile as he remembered his struggle with the said jeans, “and here are my keys.” He held out the keys with a look of triumph, just like Sebastian had, upon his victory over the wretched denim. Sebastian actually laughed out when he noted the similarities. The boy looked at him curiously.

“Aren’t those terribly uncomfortable?” Sebastian pointed to the denim that covered those long legs.

The boy looked down and shrugged, “I guess.”

“Well, young man, I hope the rest of your day goes better. Next time be more careful as to what you drink at a party.” Sebastian said trying not to sound too preachy.

“I will. Thank you.” The boy bowed again and walked towards his car. Sebastian unlocked his car and slid into the plush seat. He followed his morning start up ritual. He pulled out slowly since he was unfamiliar with the lay out of the parking lot and he noticed that the boy had not left yet. He was standing next to his car, leaning against it, his head resting on the top of the car. Sebastian braked and lowered the passenger side window.

“Hi there! Kid, you ok?” He called out.

The boy’s head snapped up and he noticed Sebastian and smiled and nodded in affirmation. Only Sebastian was not buying it. Sebastian inwardly groaned but knew that he couldn’t just leave him. This kid needed painkillers, coffee and food immediately. He crooked his index finger and motioned at the kid to come closer. The boy straightened up and reluctantly came over to the passenger side and leaned down to meet Sebastian’s gaze. Sebastian grabbed the prescription bottle of the top of the line pain killers from the stowage under his armrest and shook it at the boy.

“You want some of these?” He said enticingly.

A long arm reached through the window and an angelic and eager smile lit up the boy’s face, “Thank you. That will definitely help.”

Sebastian smiled at his eagerness and played his card right. “I am afraid you can’t take it on empty stomach. Will do terrible damage to your stomach lining. Has awful side effects.”

The boy’s face fell but he came back quickly, “I will eat something when I get back to my apartment.”

Sebastian shook his head “Nope. No can do. Tell you what, I will take you somewhere you can eat something, get a cup of coffee and then you can have a couple.”

That shuttered look came over the boy as he weighed the implications of the offer. Sebastian had half a mind to leave him to his pain and fate but he remembered what had happened the last time he had done that. Sometimes people need to be pushed for their own benefit.

“Come on. I need coffee too. I know a place. I need to go to work so we will have to be quick. Plus, the ride will do you good. I will drop you back here.” He said coaxingly.

The boy looked at the prescription bottle and proceeded to open the passenger door. Sebastian smiled reassuringly as he strapped himself into the seat and pressed the accelerator. He left the windows down, hoping the morning breeze will make the boy feel a little better. He was heading towards a small mom and pop Chinese eatery that he favored for breakfast whenever he worked through the night at his office. It was in the business district and was frequented by the blue collar workers that early in the morning. The boy had leant his head against the headrest and had closed his eyes as soon as he had got in. Sebastian wondered as to why he was so careless about his safety with strangers.

He parked in a slip of a parking lot, basically meant for their delivery van. But he knew that the owners would not object as he was a regular customer. He gently shook the boy’s shoulder to wake him up. The boy sat up and peered around. Sebastian got out and waited for the boy to get out. He locked his car as a few other patrons cast him and his car sidelong glances. He was glad that he had left the jacket on his backseat. He entered the establishment and caught the lady owner’s eyes, who smiled and bowed to him.  He smiled back and held up two fingers to denote his order. He proceeded to take a seat on a folding metal chair by the window. The boy looked around and took a seat opposite him. He seemed intrigued by his choice of eatery.

“Well, it may look shoddy but they do make a good congee. The perfect antidote for an aggravated digestive system.” He said with confidence.

The boy smiled a little, “I am used to such places but I am surprised that you know any. You look too…..polished….to patronize such establishments.”

A well-worn tray was lowered on the table between them as the lady unloaded two bowls of congee and an assortment of accompaniments in a number of smaller bowls. Sebastian smiled and thanked the lady as she left them to enjoy their meal. He looked up at the boy and found that he was watching him critically.

“What? I like good food. And I have never got sick from eating here so I keep coming back. Now eat up if you want those magic pills.” He smiled encouragingly.

The boy took a spoonful but grimaced as it went down his gullet. Sebastian remembered and gently chided him.

“Slowly, very slowly. Your food pipe is irritated. Give it time to get used to the heat.”

The boy nodded and picked smaller scoops on his spoon. They ate in companionable silence. If Sebastian had considered himself extremely introverted then he had definitely met his match. The young man seemed equally, if not more, unwilling to speak than he. It suited him just fine. He was not interested to make friends. In fact not many people seemed inclined to take the trouble to break down the walls he had built around himself. Most gave up after few tries, when their friendly overtures were declined politely. Sebastian speculated thoughtfully if that alone had drawn him out of his comfort zone to….help….this young man. A kind of fellowship of solitary souls, which involved little communication and a shared love of silence.

Deciding he had enough, Sebastian took out his wallet and stuck a bill, big enough to cover the price of the food and a hefty tip, under his bowl. The boy looked up and mumbled as he blushed again.

“My wallet is in my car. I will pay you back when you drop me off.”

Sebastian smiled widely and seemed to consider his request thoughtfully.

“Let me guess, because the wallet and the keys don’t fit into the pockets of your tight jeans both at the same time.”

The boy actually smiled! A genuine smile like when one hears a humorous anecdote. A pure, sweet smile that lit up his shy face.

“Why do you hate my jeans so much?” The horrified look on the boy’s face as soon as those words left his lips was too precious.

Sebastian’s raised his eyebrow and the boy hurriedly said, “No. No. Don’t answer that. I take that back.”

It was apparent that they both knew why Sebastian hated those tight jeans. The boy colored a deep shade of red all the way from the base of his neck to the tips of his ears, which only added to Sebastian’s bubbling laughter. He guffawed outright, drawing attention from fellow diners.

He still managed to wisecrack, “Because they are a damn nuisance!”

The boy looked mortified. He closed his eyes and pursed his lips. He very calmly proceeded to set his bowl aside and then lowered his head to the table as Sebastian laughed heartily above him. Sebastian hadn’t laughed like that in a long, long time. He was thoroughly enjoying himself, even if it was at the expense of a poor, unsophisticated kid. He stood up when it was obvious that it would take the boy a while to recover from the ‘foot-in-mouth’ he had just pulled. He waited to catch the lady owner’s eyes and gestured to the bill under the bowl. She acknowledged with a bow and a smile.

“Come on kid. Let’s get us some coffee.” He gently patted the boy’s back and headed out the door, still smiling like a fool.

He had already started the car when the boy took his seat and put on his seatbelt. His face was still flushed so Sebastian desisted from making it worse for him. They stopped at a drive thru to pick up coffee though Sebastian found the coffee to be unpalatable after just a sip. He glanced over to the boy, who seemed to relish the hot beverage. Sebastian thought that pure caffeine shot would taste right to him now, never mind the drive thru coffee. He turned towards the hotel with a smile on his face.

He pulled in next to the boy’s car and noted that it was a modest car with a few years on it. The boy turned to him and held out his left palm.

“Now, can I have those pills? I need to sleep and I can’t with this throbbing in my head. I wouldn’t ask but I am desperate for some sleep. Please.”

Sebastian smiled at his honest request and shook out two pills onto the outstretched palm. The boy gulped those down in a flash with a swig of coffee.

“Thank you. Thank you for everything. You have been very kind….and thoughtful.” He said sincerely as he looked directly at Sebastian. May be Sebastian was being fanciful but he thought he detected a touch of longing in his words. As if kindness did not come his way often.

“You are welcome. I enjoyed the company. At least for the most part…..once you were in your senses.” He wanted to reciprocate his sincerity.

The boy blushed again. He stammered, “Wait a minute. I will get my wallet.” Sebastian on an impulse, grabbed his arm as he stepped a foot outside the vehicle. The boy whipped his head around at the sudden touch.

“The last time I checked we are in Korea. Are you trying to contravene age old traditions, kid? How dare you be brash enough to pay for the kindness of an elder? Tsk, tsk! Kids these days!” He said with mock severity.

The boy’s face relaxed into that beautiful smile again once he understood Sebastian’s reprimand. Sebastian let go his arm as he basked in the warmth of that smile. Oh, to be young and uncomplicated again! The boy got out of the car and took a step back and bowed stiffly. “Nice comeback”, Sebastian thought as he smiled and waved at the boy before driving away. In his rearview mirror, he watched the boy watch his car till he turned a corner and headed out of the parking.