Mud

Buried

Donghae cleans up after dinner. It really only requires him to dispose of two plastic trays but he's happy to do it since Hyukjae was so gracious in cooking dinner for the both of them. It soon grows so late that the shows on television are no longer interesting and both Hyukjae and Donghae are tired. Hyukjae goes upstairs to brush his teeth and change into comfortable clothing and Donghae uses the downstairs bathroom to do the same. When he comes out, he expects to go straight to sleep on his couch but he finds Hyukjae standing on the third stair up from the floor, looking at him.

“Come here,” Hyukjae commands gently and Donghae obeys. He looks nervous until Donghae steps onto the first step and looks up at him. He then seems calm as he takes a step down to reach for Donghae's hand and he loosely threads their fingers together.

Donghae looks at their hands as their fingers brush against each other until they rest together. He then looks up at Hyukjae again.

“I don't want to think,” Hyukjae begins softly, “I just want to feel. And... you feel warm. You make me warm and I don't want to be cold tonight.”

Donghae stays silent but holds onto Hyukjae's hand as he's led up the stairs and into Hyukjae's room. Hyukjae lets go as he slides under the blankets of his bed and soon, Donghae does the same. They face each other and Hyukjae tucks his head under Donghae's chin because that's where he's always felt safest. Donghae slides an arm around Hyukjae's waist and pulls him closer because that's what has always made him feel loved and needed.

“Good night, Donghae,” Hyukjae whispers, eyes closed and body warm.

“Good night, Hyukjae,” Donghae whispers back, eyes closed and mind hoping that his excited heart doesn't keep Hyukjae awake.

-

Donghae wakes first and as he shifts to relieve an uncomfortable leg, Hyukjae wakes as well. They both stretch slightly and blink in the morning sunlight. When Donghae's mind starts to think properly, he speaks.

“Is today a thinking day?”

“I guess so,” Hyukjae mumbles sleepily. Donghae turns to look at him.

“What are you thinking now?”

Hyukjae closes his eyes. “That I'm still tired,” he says. Donghae smiles and takes a chance by raising his hand to Hyukjae's cheek, gently brushing his fingertips over soft skin. Hyukjae's eyes open slowly. “And that you still feel warm.”

Donghae pauses briefly before he gets out of bed. He closes the curtains, blocking out the morning sun. He crawls into bed again and takes Hyukjae into his arms. Hyukjae tangles their legs together, efficiently keeping both of them stuck there.

“It's still early,” Donghae says even though he hasn't even checked the time. “Let's sleep a little longer.”

“Okay,” Hyukjae agrees.

Neither of them can fall back asleep. Hyukjae's fingers paint soothing colors onto Donghae's back. Donghae's breaths graze Hyukjae's cheek and send shivers through him that make his fingers stutter and his colors run together. Donghae brushes his nose against Hyukjae's temple and breathes across his ear and it makes Hyukjae's hand curl into the fabric of Donghae's shirt. Donghae kisses his way to Hyukjae's mouth and Hyukjae's desperation is so fierce that he forgets to breathe when he finally kisses Donghae again.

It's a little bit harder and a lot more meaningful when they kiss this time. Hyukjae's hands are gripping Donghae's shirt tightly and Donghae's fingers have made their way to Hyukjae's cheek. Hyukjae's lips are softer than Donghae ever remembers them being and Donghae's arms feel so much stronger. Donghae is left in a daze as Hyukjae leaves lingering kisses all over his mouth. They pull away, breathing against each other, noses brushing and eyes closed. Donghae is gently running a hand from Hyukjae's nape to his waist and Hyukjae is familiarizing his fingers with the curves and bumps of Donghae's face.

They stay quiet, exchanging gentle touches and enjoying the warmth that they bring to one another. Hyukjae takes a deep breath and slowly lets it out.

“Your hair smells really nice,” he says softly.

“It's Tiffany's serum,” Donghae responds with a smile.

“She never lets me try that stuff,” Hyukjae grumbles. “And I refuse to buy it from her.”

“I'll buy some for you,” Donghae whispers, combing his fingers through Hyukjae's hair.

“Okay.” Hyukjae relaxes with Donghae's touches and Donghae opens his eyes just to see Hyukjae's serene face.

“What were you planning on doing today?” Donghae asks.

“I have a painting that I wanted to work on. You?”

Donghae hesitates before he answers truthfully. “I just want to spend more time with you.”

Hyukjae opens his eyes and then he smiles. “I think we can manage that.” He kisses Donghae one last time before he sits up. He doesn't move, though, because Donghae's arms are still around him and there's a thumb rubbing against the bare skin of his side under his shirt. He turns and takes both of Donghae's arms to pin them against the bed. He grins at Donghae's raised eyebrow before he slides out of his bed and walks to his closet. It doesn't take long before Donghae's arms are back around Hyukjae's waist and his chin is on Hyukjae's shoulder.

“Got anything for me to wear?” he asks jokingly but regrets his words when Hyukjae freezes.

“Actually...” Hyukjae steps forward and reaches up to grab a box on the top shelf of his closet. He sets it down on the floor and looks at it to avoid Donghae's curious gaze. “I couldn't just throw everything away... I tried but... there were just some things that had to stay.”

Donghae sits on the ground and opens the box almost cautiously. He is met with neatly folded clothing that once belonged to him. He takes out a simple plaid shirt and runs his fingers over the worn material. He sets it down and pulls out a pair of unintentionally ripped jeans followed by a t-shirt from his time at the police academy.

“You saved all of this?” Donghae asks, feeling emotional thinking about the past that he'd missed and how hard it must have been for Hyukjae just to look at the contents of this box.

Hyukjae nods. “I gave a lot of your stuff to your mom and threw some of it away when I went through my angry phase of mourning... but I kept a couple of boxes. It's just... clothes that... still smelled like you or reminded me of happy moments. And some are just things that I knew you wouldn't throw away in a million years... so I couldn't do it either.”

Donghae is clutching a shirt in his hands and Hyukjae sits beside him, placing an arm around his shoulder.

“There are so many things you've felt... so many things you've done...” Donghae looks at Hyukjae with sad eyes, “and I wasn't there for them. I caused them. I want to know about everything.”

“Donghae...” Hyukjae places his free hand on Donghae's cheek, “you were gone from my life, too. I wasn't there for the things you went through. So... we'll tell each other everything... eventually. But for now... how about breakfast?”

-

Breakfast is quiet. The lack of talking is not because of a lack of things to say, it is simply quiet because their mouths are happily occupied by eating and neither of them feels the need to speak. Donghae's foot accidentally brushes Hyukjae's at one point which leads to a small foot-nudging match that ends in stupid smiles hidden behind mouthfuls of food.

Donghae offers to wash the dishes and Hyukjae takes it as an opportunity to change into paint-stained clothing to prepare for his day. He walks into his office and searches for a sketch he had done as an idea for a painting. When he finds it, he frowns. Just looking at it makes him feel uninspired. He'd been excited to paint today but this is not what he is going to paint. He looks around, finding more sketches that just don't catch is attention. Then, unexpectedly, he finds a sketch that makes his heart race.

“I thought I'd lost this,” he says quietly.

“I found it the other day.” Hyukjae turns to see Donghae standing in the doorway. “It just kind of popped out when I was setting up for art night.”

Hyukjae looks from Donghae back to the sketch. It is just a rough draft and it isn't even complete. He sets it down and looks at Donghae again.

“Do you think that you'd... want to model for me again?”

Donghae's eyes widen a little. “You mean... right now?”

“If you want to,” Hyukjae says quickly. “I just... I'm not really inspired to work on anything else.”

“Then... I guess I'll, um... get cleaned up.” Donghae leaves the room quickly.

He makes a straight shot to the bathroom and locks himself inside. Then he breathes and tries to convince himself that everything is completely fine and that he isn't about to be in front of Hyukjae who he was away from for two years and then made out with rather passionately just over an hour ago. Sure, he's been in front of Hyukjae countless times. The first time he saw Hyukjae, he was . But that was before he was working to repair a very broken relationship that is currently in a very confusing and possibly fragile state.

Donghae takes a deep breath. He can do this. He and Hyukjae have both overcome seeing as ual. He is definitely not going to think about being curled up with Hyukjae in bed, warm and kissing, tongues barely brushing together-

“No!” Donghae suddenly shouts at himself, looking down at his loose pajama pants. He then hears footsteps and a knock on the bathroom door.

“Are you okay in there?” Hyukjae asks.

“I'm fine!” Donghae responds. “Just... almost dropped my toothbrush in the toilet. I'll be ready in a minute!”

“Okay.” Hyukjae walks away from the door and goes back to his office. He sits in his chair and nervously bounces his knee. He wonders if he's moving too fast with Donghae and starts to regret asking Donghae to model for him. Donghae probably feels uncomfortable and it's his fault and this is going to be a total disaster. Hyukjae doesn't have much time to worry because soon, Donghae enters the room dressed in a robe.

“Where do you want me?” Donghae asks and then shuts himself up to keep from saying anything else stupid.

“Stand there.” Hyukjae points straight ahead from where he's sitting. “That spot has good lighting.”

Donghae stands where Hyukjae points and nervously fiddles with the belt on his robe. Without looking at Hyukjae, he unties the robe and lets it drop to the floor. He stands in silence until he hears the sound of an easel shifting and a pencil making a first line. He looks up enough to see Hyukjae concentrating and it makes him relax.

Hyukjae has to try his hardest to be professional but he manages. As he sketches an outline of Donghae's body, he feels excited. He hasn't drawn Donghae's body in a long time and it has changed. It has new scars and lines and its muscles have grown while it still remains just as beautiful as it used to be. As someone who is in a complicated relationship with the owner of this body, Hyukjae is nervous. As an artist, Hyukjae is thrilled. He treats Donghae's body as an art subject and captures it carefully.

Donghae manages to stand perfectly still while Hyukjae draws. He thinks back to all the times they have done this and how he would admire Hyukjae as an artist and occasionally compliment him just to watch his eyes crinkle into a smile over the top of the canvas. Now, he is completely quiet and keeps his eyes from making contact with Hyukjae's. The sounds of Hyukjae's pencil against paper is soothing in the otherwise silent room and it keeps his mind at ease.

“Okay,” Hyukjae says with a small sigh, “that should be good enough for now. You can put your clothes back on.”

Donghae had originally thought that he would be in a hurry to put his robe on but now, he puts it on at an easy pace, watching as Hyukjae places his sketch on his desk and hunches over it. Curious, Donghae walks closer and peeks over Hyukjae's shoulder. It is simply a sketch of Donghae's body with close attention paid to the curves of Donghae's muscles. Donghae watches as Hyukjae darkens a line here and there and, without much thought, he places gentle hands on Hyukjae's shoulders to massage them. When Hyukjae leans back into the touch, Donghae continues.

The way Hyukjae relaxes from Donghae's touch makes Donghae brave. He leans down and presses soft kisses from Hyukjae's cheek to his neck while his hands slide down from Hyukjae's shoulders to his chest. As Donghae's fingers find the taut muscles of Hyukjae's chest and his lips find the junction between Hyukjae's neck and shoulder, Hyukjae drops his pencil.

Donghae stops. “Sorry,” he chuckles, sliding his hands up and off of Hyukjae's body and standing up straight again.

“Don't stop,” comes the breathy reply of Hyukjae.

Donghae hesitates but then he's whipping Hyukjae's chair around and pulling Hyukjae out of his seat. Hyukjae's soft lips are rough against Donghae's mouth but Donghae greedily welcomes the harshness. Hyukjae slides his hands into Donghae's robe to press fingers against his warm shoulders and Donghae pulls Hyukjae closer by his paint-stained shirt.

They are aggressive, kissing each other with words they don't know how to say. Hyukjae slides Donghae's robe just enough for him to lean down and bite gently at a shoulder as his knee makes its way in between Donghae's legs.

“Wait, wait,” Donghae pleads breathlessly and Hyukjae retreats instantly. “What are we... what are we doing?”

“The answer to that question is obvious and you are a smart man,” Hyukjae replies, hands still lost inside Donghae's robe, his sides.

“We shouldn't go too far,” Donghae suggests, unable to keep his hands off of Hyukjae entirely.

“Fair enough,” Hyukjae agrees with a hint of disappointment.

Donghae nods. “But... that doesn't mean we can't do just a little bit.”

“You and I both know we're not capable of 'a little bit.'” Hyukjae smiles and nudges Donghae's nose with his own before giving him a sweet kiss.

“Right,” Donghae grumbles. Still, he holds Hyukjae close until Hyukjae's hands help him put his robe back on.

“Donghae?” Hyukjae says and Donghae hums in response. “Do you think you could take your hands off of my ?”

Donghae quickly removes his hands and fixes his robe. He and Hyukjae look at each other and suddenly the room feels very empty. They are standing together with a million things to say to one another and neither of them can say a word.

Hyukjae's eyes dart around the room before he turns and sits in his chair again, focusing on his sketch. Donghae leaves the room and decides to put on some clothes. As he puts them on, he realizes that earlier he had told Hyukjae that he wanted to spend time with him today. While that is still true, Donghae suddenly feels unsure about how they can spend time together. He wonders if they will ever be able to talk when they seem to be distracted so easily. Donghae knows that Hyukjae is not fond of talking but he also knows that their relationship cannot continue down its current path.

As Donghae enters Hyukjae's office again, he is surprised to find him with his chair turned towards the door, his hands fiddling nervously in his lap, and his head hanging sadly.

“We have to talk now, don't we?” Hyukjae asks.

“Yeah, we kinda do.”

Hyukjae sighs and Donghae takes a seat on the floor in front of him, taking his hands for comfort.

“What's the first item on the agenda?” Hyukjae wonders. “Me kissing you? Me kissing you again? Me asking you to get in front of me? Me trying to put my hand down your robe when you're clearly not ready for that?”

It is immediately obvious that Hyukjae is trying to put some kind of blame on himself.

“How about me trying to leave and in turn making you do something that you didn't really want to do?” Donghae suggests.

“I wanted to kiss you,” Hyukjae says firmly. “Everything I said yesterday was true. It just took me a while to realize that just because it was true before you left, it doesn't mean it can't still be true now.” Hyukjae smiles a little. “Besides, you were sort of crying and it was adorable and sad and it made it hard not to kiss you.”

 

Donghae shakes his head but smiles as well. “I guess that means we've taken some kind of step forward, right?”

 

“Right,” Hyukjae confirms. “I'm not sure what kind of step it is or what the next steps will be but... it's a step.”


Donghae debates silently with himself about whether or not he should ask Hyukjae the question on his mind. Although he is hesitant, he decides to try. “Do you think... after a lot of steps... that we could be what we used to be?”

“Donghae...”

“Please answer. I don't care what the answer is. I just... need it.”

Hyukjae's breath is held as he tries to come up with the right words to say. “We're never going to be what we used to be. There will always be a part of me that's broken and, whether we want to admit it or not, we've both changed.” Donghae nods slowly and Hyukjae grips his hands tightly. “But that doesn't mean we're doomed to be miserable. I think it's kind of obvious that we can't stay away from each other. We can learn about the things that have changed. I don't know what this will be, but I know that we can't force it to be something that it's not.”

Donghae looks at Hyukjae with admiration. “We may have both changed,” he said, “but you're still the most amazing person that I know.” Hyukjae smiles, a little bit embarrassed, and Donghae continues. “And the smartest. And the kindest. And-”

Hyukjae places a hand over Donghae's mouth. “And you're the loudest,” he says and then removes his hand. “Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?”

“Hmm,” Donghae thinks. “Nope. I think we both know what we need to know. We're taking things slow and doing what we feel is right, right?”

“Right,” Hyukjae responds.

“So, what feels like the right thing to do now?” Donghae asks.

Hyukjae grins. He slinks out of his chair and leans over Donghae, moving forward until Donghae is lying on his back. He settles himself on top of Donghae and Donghae relishes in the warmth of Hyukjae's body hovering over him and the strong arms keeping Hyukjae's weight from pushing down on him too much.

Donghae brushes a hand over Hyukjae's cheek and Hyukjae closes his eyes and leans into the touch. Donghae's hand settles on the back of Hyukjae's neck and Hyukjae leans down. Just as their lips are about to touch, Hyukjae's phone rings.

“Seriously?” Hyukjae groans and rolls off of Donghae, fishing his phone out of his pocket while Donghae laughs. “Hello?” Hyukjae answers his phone with annoyance but his eyes soon grow wide and he sits up. He glances nervously at Donghae. “Oh, um, I forgot about that... is there a way to maybe reschedule? I have a lot going on and... oh. Yes, of course. But I really don't think I need... oh. Okay. I'll be there.”

Hyukjae hangs up the phone and Donghae looks at him with concern. He sits up and then takes Hyukjae's hand and pulls him out of a daze. “You okay?” Donghae asks.

“Yeah,” replies Hyukjae, staring at his phone. “I have a, um... checkup on Tuesday. I see my therapist every couple of months. I guess he still thinks I'm going to snap and do something crazy.”

 

Why do you look so nervous?”

Hyukjae looks up from his phone. “What am I supposed to tell him about you?”


“The truth?” Donghae shrugs. “What else would you tell him?”

“I guess I'd rather just... not go at all.”

“Then don't go,” Donghae says as if it is the easiest thing in the world.

Hyukjae sighs. “I have to.” He lies back down on the floor. “Can this weekend be over now?”

 

What's so bad about this weekend?” Donghae asks, pretending to be hurt and propping himself up on his elbow next to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae gives a small smile. “Everything but you,” he replies.

“Well then I'm glad to be the good part of your weekend.”

Hyukjae reaches up to trail a finger down Donghae's face and his smile fades into something more serious. “Sometimes... it's still hard for me to believe that you're really here. I kind of forget that this is reality.”


“You'll get used to it,” Donghae says. “You'll have to see me every day. And then you'll start getting sick of me.”


“Most likely,” Hyukjae jests and Donghae gives an exaggerated frown. Hyukjae can't help smiling as he sits up. “We should probably get off of the floor.”

“Why? It's not so bad down here.”

“Because I have work to do and you'll distract me if you sit on my floor.”

“I'll be super quiet.”

Hyukjae huffs out a sigh. “Fine,” he says. “But no distractions.”

The next hour is spent in silence. Hyukjae is completely focused in his art and Donghae is sitting like a child on the floor, doodling nonsense on a piece of paper. They are both carefree and they are together. It feels so normal to both of them as they go throughout their day, watching television, eating together, having mundane conversations about the weather.

 

Even at night, it feels perfectly normal to lie in bed and talk to each other. It feels good to talk about the time Ryeowook won two free plane tickets to Hawaii but he was so anxious about who to take that he couldn't decide and he gave them away. It feels even better to laugh about the time that a bat had flown into their house and refused to leave for an entire day. It feels right to talk and laugh until they both fall asleep.

-

Hyukjae is glad that he wakes up first. It gives him the chance to see Donghae sleeping peacefully with his mouth completely open. Hyukjae considers closing it but he decides that waking up with an incredibly dry mouth will be a good punishment for snoring.

He sneaks out of bed and tiptoes around the room to pick out an outfit consisting simply of a sweater and jeans before he goes to the bathroom. He takes a nice, long shower. It feels refreshing and the hot water washes away his stress and prepares him for his day. When he steps out of the shower, he dries himself off quickly and pulls his clothes on. He is a little cold as he walks out of the bathroom but when he walks into his bedroom and sees a sleepy Donghae on his bed, he feels warm again.

“Good morning,” he says.

“Good morning.” Donghae's grin is too wide for a simple morning greeting.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Hyukjae asks as he sits on the bed.

“Remember that time you sang a song for me on our anniversary?”

“I don't remember that because it never happened.” Hyukjae hides his face in his hands and Donghae laughs.

“You brought me breakfast in bed with music playing and you did a little song and dance.”

“And you laughed through the whole thing.”

“I laughed because I was happy! Besides, my laughter didn't stop you, did it?”

“No,” Hyukjae mumbles and takes his hands away from his face. He's smiling a little because he can't really help it.

“So,” Donghae says as he sits up in bed. “Getting ready for work?”

“Yep,” Hyukjae replies, ruffling his wet hair a little. “You gonna sleep all day?”

“I thought about it.” Donghae smiles. “I was actually thinking about going to see about getting back to my job.”

“Good,” Hyukjae says with a hint of sarcasm. “That means you'll be out of my hair for a while.” Donghae has a terribly sad look on his face and Hyukjae gives in. “I'm kidding. I'm really proud of you. And I want you to be happy.”

Hyukjae reaches out to take Donghae's hand in his own. They smile at each other and Donghae squeezes Hyukjae's hand.

“I like the sound of being happy,” Donghae says. “It's been a while since I've felt that.”

Hyukjae hesitates for a while as he realizes that he feels the same. “Me too,” he says. And then, to keep the mood from getting any more serious, he stands. “I don't have a ton of time left but I can't leave without eating some kind of breakfast.” He holds a hand out to Donghae. “Join me?”

 

Donghae happily joins Hyukjae for a quick breakfast of spinach omelets and Hyukjae teases Donghae about needing to get back in shape in order to do his job again. Donghae retaliates by putting extra salt in his omelet. While Hyukjae is fixing his hair and putting his shoes on, Donghae washes the dishes. Hyukjae is about to leave but Donghae stops him.

“Wait,” Donghae says just as Hyukjae is about to open the door. He wraps a dark blue scarf around Hyukjae's neck and makes sure that it properly covers Hyukjae's exposed skin. He smiles. “It's supposed to be windy today.”

“Thank you.” Hyukjae looks down at the scarf. He does not recognize it as one of the scarves he had saved from Donghae's past. It is a new one. Either way, it is one hundred percent Donghae and it makes Hyukjae smile. He looks up at Donghae and gives him a peck on the lips. “I'll see you later.”

“I'll be waiting,” Donghae responds and watches as Hyukjae walks out the door. His smile refuses to leave his face as he goes back to washing the dishes.

-

Hyukjae sits across from Ryeowook during their lunch break and tries to act as normal as possible. He wants to tell Ryeowook about Donghae but he does not think that the timing is right. He needs to spend more time with Donghae before he can properly inform his friends of their relationship. Luckily, his weekend was eventful enough to allow room for other conversation topics.

“Knowing Sunny, she won't let someone get away with stealing from her,” Ryeowook says. “Especially when it involves her friends.”

“You're probably right,” Hyukjae responds. “If the thief gets caught, they're screwed.”

“Definitely.” Ryeowook takes a sip of his drink and sits back comfortably in his chair. “Nice scarf,” he compliments.

A hint of dread creeps up on Hyukjae. “Thanks,” he says. “Donghae gave it to me. To make sure that my neck wouldn't be cold.”

“I'm sure that's the reason,” Ryeowook mumbles and Hyukjae ignores him.

When they go back to work, they find that their shop is quite busy. It soon becomes evident that many of their customers are there because they had seen Hyukjae on television. Hyukjae does not complain. Business is business. When a reporter comes snooping around, however, Hyukjae hides in the inventory room while Ryeowook graciously deals with them.

As he sits and listens to the low voices outside, he fiddles with the scarf around his neck. He takes a small sniff of it and smiles at the scent of Tiffany's hair serum. Its presence meant that it had been worn recently. Hyukjae thinks back to this morning. It had been the most pleasant morning he has had in over two years. He had risen with the sun in a warm bed, happy even though the source of his warmth had been snoring. He had showered, dressed, and eaten without a single hint of grogginess. This morning had been wonderful and Hyukjae realizes that it was because of Donghae.

There used to be mornings that made Hyukjae cry. He would wake up alone, cold. He would consider going back to sleep for a few more hours even when he had work. A shower just meant time to think and thinking for too long made his mind wander to unhappy places. His breakfast would be a bowl of cereal because he could not be bothered to cook anything. And then he would walk out the door, feeling just as cold as he had when he woke up, no matter how bright the sun was shining.

Not all mornings were like that. Some were good. But none were as good as this morning. As Hyukjae gets up and returns to his work, he cannot stop thinking about mornings. He cannot stop thinking about Donghae.

-

Donghae has an arm over his eyes to block out daylight. He is lying on the couch, ready to take a short nap before Hyukjae gets home. His nap does not even get to begin, however, because suddenly, the front door is being slammed open.

“Donghae?” a panicked voice calls out.

Donghae is on his feet in an instant and rushing to the door. He nearly collides with a wide-eyed Hyukjae. “What is it? What's wrong?”

Hyukjae's hands clumsily cling to Donghae and pull him closer. “I missed you,” he says with agony. “Donghae, I missed you.”

 

It takes seconds for Donghae to realize that Hyukjae, with shortened breaths and desperate hands, is not just talking about today. His mind calms down because he knows that Hyukjae is not in danger but his heartbeat speeds up. “I missed you, too,” he says quietly, like it's a treasured secret. He gently rubs Hyukjae's arm to comfort him and when Hyukjae closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, Donghae leans in and kisses him. It's a slow, soft kiss with careful movements meant to reassure Hyukjae. Hyukjae leans into each press of lips, accepting the comfort zealously.

 

Donghae pulls back. “I need you to do something,” he murmurs.

“What?” Hyukjae asks with genuine confusion.

“Go upstairs, wash your face, change into something comfortable, and join me on the couch for a nice, relaxing movie night.”

“That... sounds like a pretty good idea.” Hyukjae lets out a small sigh of relief and his tense shoulders relax. He smiles at Donghae before disappearing up the stairs.

Donghae sits on the couch and assesses the situation. Hyukjae's confession had been brief but very important. It was the first time he had expressed missing Donghae while they were apart. Donghae knows that he had missed Hyukjae terribly every single day but he now has affirmation that Hyukjae had missed him as well. He smiles to himself when he hears Hyukjae coming down the stairs and eventually sitting next to him.

“I'm comfy now,” Hyukjae says rather cutely and Donghae puts an arm around his shoulders.

“Good,” Donghae says. “How was your day?”

Hyukjae frowns as he remembers it. “Besides all of the people who came in because they saw me on TV and the one reporter who tried to talk to me, it was pretty average.”

“I didn't even think about that happening...” Donghae sighs. “I hope they give up soon.”

“Yeah.” Hyukjae leans against Donghae. “I'm just glad today is over. Now I can look forward to some super fun therapy tomorrow.”

Donghae smiles sympathetically and rubs Hyukjae's shoulder. “Everything will be fine,” he says.

 

I hope so,” Hyukjae mumbles. “So what are we watching?”

“Well, there's a black and white movie marathon on TV tonight. I thought we could eat dinner and have popcorn for dessert while we watch.”

 

Hyukjae narrows his eyes. “Have you been planning this all day?”

Donghae is flustered for a moment. “Well...” he says, “not all day.”

 

Hyukjae grins and kisses Donghae's cheek. “I'm gonna go start on dinner.” He slips off of the couch and walks to the kitchen. Donghae smiles and turns to the television. He pretends to search for the channel hosting the marathon when really, the television has been set to that channel all day.

-

 

I'm sorry this is late!