Quicksand

Buried

Hyukjae's heart pounds in his chest and the sounds of sirens blare in his ears. He stares at the door, unknowing, waiting. There is movement and the door opens, revealing a man with his hands behind his head, followed by Donghae. Hyukjae doesn't really think. He runs forward and nearly crushes Donghae in a hug.

“You're alive,” he breathes.

“Thanks for noticing,” Donghae says with jest but he hugs Hyukjae back just as tightly, with just as much relief. “Are you okay?”

Hyukjae swiftly pulls away. “Am I okay?” he says incredulously. “You're the one who just faced a man with a gun. Are you okay?”

“I'm okay,” Donghae assures. “I just talked him down. No one got hurt.”

Hyukjae breathes a sigh of relief just as the cashier along with the mother and her little boy approach to thank them. The cashier offers them free gas as well as snacks while the little boy offers shy hugs. The mother continuously expresses her appreciation until a police officer politely interjects to ask for a moment of Donghae's time. Hyukjae watches from a distance as Donghae explains the incident to an officer and reporters surround the scene with cameras and microphones. He shivers at the sight of the crowd that has gathered and eagerly awaits returning to the peace of his own home. When Donghae begins to walk toward him, Hyukjae notices a look of uneasiness.

“Is everything okay?” he asks.

“Yeah,” Donghae responds, looking at the crowd being held back by the police. “I just have a feeling those rumors about a dead police officer coming back from the dead aren't going to be baseless anymore.”

“Oh,” Hyukjae says, pondering, “oh.”

-

After driving home and answering numerous phone calls from concerned friends, Hyukjae and Donghae sit in Hyukjae's car, silently parked in the garage.

“You know you did something amazing today, right?” Hyukjae asks.

“You helped,” Donghae replies.

“You talked down a man with a gun.”

“Wasn't the first time.”

Silence.

“What are you thinking?” Hyukjae asks quietly.

Donghae takes so long to answer that Hyukjae wonders if he's going to answer at all. “I like saving people. I want to keep people safe. I want to keep doing that but... what if it happens again? What if... I hurt the people that I love again?”

“You won't,” Hyukjae says confidently. “Whatever you decide to do... it'll be the right decision.”

“How can you say that after what I've done to you?”

Hyukjae sighs. “Because I saw what you did today. You saved people. And you were good at it. If that's what you want to do but you don't do it... then what?”

“I can always take a desk job at the station,” Donghae says timidly, “I wouldn't mind.”

“Yes you would,” Hyukjae accuses. “You'd go crazy sitting at a desk all day.”

Donghae takes a moment to think. “You think I should to back, then?”

Hyukjae nods. “It's the only way that you'll be happy. Just... be careful. Really, really, really, really, really careful.”

Donghae smiles at Hyukjae and just as he does, the light in the garage flashes and burns out. Hyukjae groans in the darkness. “Guess I'll be needing one of those light bulbs now.”

One light bulb change and a couple of free snacks later, Hyukjae turns on the television. He changes the channel once, twice, and then he finds the news where he sees security footage of a man pointing a gun at Donghae.

“An attempted robbery was foiled earlier today by a man that no one could have expected. Former local police officer Lee Donghae was presumed dead until this morning when he assisted in the arrest of a man trying to rob a gas station with a gun, ultimately saving the lives of four people, one of whom is reportedly his significant other. Lee Donghae supposedly died over two years ago in a gang-related explosion. His sudden appearance is unexplained but we will keep you updated as the story unfolds.”

“Oh...” Hyukjae says with slight dread. He looks to Donghae whose eyes are glued to the screen. “You gonna be okay?”

“I don't know.” Donghae's throat feels dry. “I'm not sure if... what if... there's someone out there who recognizes me?”

“That can't be possible... right?” Hyukjae watches Donghae's blank face. “Donghae, the men who were in the building with you... where are they now?”

“Dead. In prison. But they could receive information or get information out. They could...”

“No,” Hyukjae says firmly, standing in front of Donghae to face him directly. “You came back here because you knew that it was safe for yourself and your friends and family. You are standing here right now because it's safe for you to be here. No one is going to come after you, me, or anyone you know.”

Donghae takes a few breaths and calms himself using Hyukjae's words. He nods at Hyukjae and tries to give him a smile that doesn't really come out. Hyukjae nods back and turns to the television again. He changes the channel, attempting to get away from the news but what he sees on the screen nearly makes him drop the remote.

Footage of the little boy hugging Donghae is being shown as the boy's mother smiles at them. A disappearing headline reads “Man Saves His Family From Attempted Robbery.”

“What the hell is going on?” Hyukjae wonders aloud. He changes the channel again and this time, he does drop the remote. “That's our...”

“The hero was married to a local man named Lee Hyukjae five years ago. Although their marriage was not declared official by law, a ceremony was still held. The image you are seeing now is from that ceremony. Earlier reports of Lee Donghae being married to the woman he'd saved were false. We apologize for this misinformation.”

The screen transitions from Hyukjae and Donghae's wedding photo to footage of Hyukjae rushing into Donghae's arms in front of the gas station.

“Is this some kind of joke?” Hyukjae nearly yells, incredulous.

“I'm so sorry, Hyukjae.”

“Like it's your fault. These stupid news stations just want higher ratings. Using our lives like they don't even matter... how did they even get that picture?!” Hyukjae angrily sits on the couch and turns the television off.

Donghae contemplates driving to the news station itself to demand answers but he calms his own anger and sits next to Hyukjae. He isn't sure what to say and Hyukjae doesn't seem too keen to start a conversation. Donghae picks up the remote from the floor and sets the television to a cooking channel. They sit together in silence, winding down from their earlier adventure. When a knock sounds at the front door, they both realize that perhaps today's adventure is not over yet. Hyukjae stands up and grumbles as he walks to answer it. Donghae hears the door open and then slam shut again and he jumps up to see what has happened.

“Who's out there?”

“A reporter!” Hyukjae walks from the door to the window and peeks outside, seeing several news vans parked along the street. Donghae sees them as well and shakes his head in disbelief.

“Is this really such a great story?” he wonders aloud.

“No,” Hyukjae responds bitterly. “These people are just bored leeches.”

As a knock sounds on the door again, Hyukjae's anger reaches a boiling point. He walks to the door and swings it open before stepping outside. He is immediately surrounded by cameras and microphones and questions about Donghae are being hurled at him.

“I didn't come out here to answer questions,” he says in an eerily calm voice with a smile to match. “I came out here because I heard that you are all very fond of restraining orders and I am quite certain that I can help each and every one of you obtain one.”

Mysteriously, the cameras back away and the questions stop. Hyukjae steps back inside and slams the door, making sure to lock it. He breathes out his anger and turns to Donghae who stares at him dumbly before slowly clapping. Hyukjae's eyes soften and he breathes again to cleanse himself of stress.

“That was awesome.” Donghae's clapping comes to an end as he watches Hyukjae lean his back against the wall of the front hallway and slide down it. Donghae slides down the opposite wall and faces him.

“Today has been quite a day,” Hyukjae exhales.

“It's not over yet, who knows what else could happen.” Hyukjae gives an unappreciative look at these words and Donghae decides not to . “I'm really sorry that all this happened today. If it wasn't for me, this wouldn't have happened.”

“If it weren't for you, I might have died today. I'd rather be on the news for being gay than dead.”

Donghae smiles slightly at that and nods slowly. He takes a deep breath and lets it out. “Hyukjae... are things... better between us?”

Hyukjae isn't sure where this is going but the tone of Donghae's voice makes him nervous. “I guess so. I don't freak out when I'm in the same room with you anymore. Why?”

“Well... that's a good thing. At least, it is to me. And I was just wondering... what do you think we-”

“Don't,” Hyukjae interrupts, closing his eyes briefly. “Don't. I know what you're going to ask and I don't have an answer. I don't know what's going to happen between us. I haven't got a clue. That's just... too much to think about.”

Donghae knows he should stop but he's feeling too bold. “So... you haven't even thought about us getting back together?”

“Donghae,” Hyukjae warns with just his tone.

“Okay, I just have one more question.” Donghae speaks before Hyukjae can protest. “Since I've come back, you've been... unhappy. Before I came back... were you still unhappy?”

Donghae knows that Hyukjae has been worried about whether or not Donghae is still the same person he used to be. Donghae can easily be himself around Hyukjae and let him know who he is. Hyukjae, on the other hand, has been frazzled since Donghae's return and Donghae can't be sure if he's the same or not.

“I...” Hyukjae starts, “I wasn't unhappy. I wasn't the happiest I've ever been but I wasn't the saddest either... not anymore.”

“But you went back to being unhappy when I showed up. And I've put you in a dangerous situation and put your face on the news and brought reporters to your front door.”

“So?” Hyukjae questions loudly. “What, you're just going to leave now? Is that what you're about to tell me?”

“No, Hyukjae, I...” Donghae stutters.

“You what? You came back to me, to us, and now you think you shouldn't have?”

Donghae is silent, even his breathing has stilled as he looks down at his own hands. “I messed up your life. I messed up your chance to be happy again. Even if I go now, I'll be a wound that never quite heals. But if I would have stayed gone, you could have gotten used to that.”

“And if you stay?” Hyukjae asks and Donghae slowly looks up at him. “If you stay, what are you then?”

“I'm in the way.”

Hyukjae nods and looks away. He stands up and walks up the stairs and to his room. Donghae remains on the floor, silently wishing he hadn't been so bold.

-

Donghae has been packing his things very slowly. Most of his stuff is still in a suitcase but some of his belongings have ended up around the house and he tries to find all of them. His hands shake as he gathers the shirt Hyukjae had cleaned for him just last night. As he places it in his suitcase, he stops to breathe. He tries not to let himself think too much because he's afraid that the rational part of his brain will leave and he'll stay in Hyukjae's life, burdening him.

Once his belongings are packed, Donghae decides to say goodbye to Hyukjae. He plans to remain perfectly neutral and not be emotional. When he knocks on Hyukjae's door, he's greeted by silence. After a few more knocks and a little more silence, Donghae speaks up.

“I'm coming in,” he says and when he hears no protest, he opens the door.

Hyukjae is sitting on the bed, legs crosses and hands feebly resting in his lap. He doesn't look up at Donghae and it's immediately obvious that he is angry and sad because of Donghae. Cautiously, Donghae moves closer and sits on the bed, one leg resting under him while the other supports him on the floor.

“So... I guess I'm just... gonna go now.” Donghae isn't sure what he's supposed to say but he also doesn't think it matters much because Hyukjae isn't going to budge. “Maybe I'll come back when we're not so confused. We can make sense of it then but if I stay here now I'll just be-”

“In the way,” Hyukjae finishes bitterly. He takes a deep breath. He lets it out. “Why did you have to do this now? Why couldn't you wait?”

Donghae is confused by Hyukjae's question. “What was I supposed to wait for?” he asks. “I was just being honest with you about how I feel.”

“Then I guess it's only fair for me to tell you how I feel,” Hyukjae says angrily, and then he looks sad. “A week ago, I would have been happy to see you go. But today I'm hurt. I've been sitting here replaying memories in my head for hours. You always used to feel so guilty about needing to go to work during important events or in the middle of the night. You never felt right about it no matter how many times I told you it was okay. One day you asked me why I tolerated it. You asked me why I never got upset with you. I told you that I was never upset because you always came back to me. And that was the absolute truth. The first few times, I was sad. I didn't want to see you go. But when I realized that I loved you and I knew that you loved me back, things changed. I knew that when you left, you were just as sad to leave as I was to watch you go. I knew without a doubt in my mind that while you were gone, you were thinking about me just as much as I was thinking about you. When I felt secure enough to realize that, I knew there was no point in being sad. Every time you went, I sent you off with a smile and every time you came back, I greeted you with the same. Being away from you made me miss you but as soon as you were with me again... I couldn't have been happier. Being away from you didn't upset me, it made me excited to see you again. Waiting long hours to be with you... it was always worth it, Donghae. You gave me the happiest moments of my life and... I would wait for you forever.”

Donghae's eyes are filled with tears and Hyukjae's are as well. It's Hyukjae that leans in, planting a gentle kiss on Donghae's lips. Donghae doesn't know how to react but his eyes want to cry so he lets them. A tear slips down his cheek just as Hyukjae leans in and kisses him again. During the third kiss, Donghae kisses back and Hyukjae breathes relief into both of them and places his hands on Donghae's cheeks to stop the falling tears. Donghae presses a little closer and then he pulls back, shaking his head in confusion.

“Are you doing this because you don't want me to go?” he asks, looking at a Hyukjae who is much more calm than he is.

“No,” Hyukjae responds, still leaning close to Donghae, “I'm doing this because I want you to stay.”

Donghae's eyebrows scrunch. “That's... that's the same thing.”

“No, it isn't.” Hyukjae smiles and puts a hand on Donghae's cheek. “Not to me.” He sighs lightly, shaky from nerves. “I don't care what we don't have figured out. Why do we have to think about that? Why can't we just... live?”

“I thought you didn't want to be with me anymore...” Donghae says quietly.

“You didn't give me enough time to figure out what I wanted,” Hyukjae scolds. “Now you're making me resort to drastic measures just to keep you here.”

“I'm sorry,” Donghae says meekly, sniffling a little.

“You should be,” Hyukjae says. “But your apology is accepted.”

Donghae smiles and then he realizes that everything had kind of just flipped upside down and he has no idea what to do. Hyukjae had kissed him and he'd kissed Hyukjae back and... what does this mean?

“What does this mean?” he asks aloud.

Hyukjae sighs at him and leans back against the headboard. “I don't know. Don't think about it. We've been thinking too much.”

“How am I not supposed to think about this?” Donghae questions further.

Hyukjae becomes visibly frustrated. “Like this,” he says, reaching out to grip the hair on the back of Donghae's head. He pulls Donghae forward and latches their mouths together and, before long, Donghae is practically melting against him, making Hyukjae feel just a little bit triumphant. Donghae's hands find their way to Hyukjae's waist and lock themselves in place. Hyukjae's triumphant heart turns giddy. Hyukjae would be lying if he said he had not thought about kissing Donghae numerous times in the past week. Donghae cannot help pulling Hyukjae a little closer just to feel every bit of warmth that Hyukjae's mouth and body have to give. When they pull apart this time, Donghae stays hovering over Hyukjae's lips with closed eyes and intoxication.

“I think I'm thinking about it again,” he says drowsily.

“I'm not going to kiss you every time you think about it.” Hyukjae has clearly caught onto Donghae's plan and Donghae cracks open an eye to look at him. Hyukjae is smiling. They're sitting together, touching, talking, and with the absence of thought, they are blissful.

“We will think about it eventually, right?” Donghae asks.

“Shut up,” Hyukjae says playfully, gently shoving Donghae away and crossing his arms. “Yes, we will,” he adds in a low mumble. “Just... not today, okay?”

“Okay,” Donghae agrees. “But... while we're not thinking... what will we be doing?”

“I'd have to think to answer that question.”

They're both about to laugh but Hyukjae's phone starts to ring and Hyukjae answers it.

“Sungmin? No, we're fine. Did you not get my texts? What are you... what? No, you can't- oh, he hung up.” Hyukjae looks at Donghae. “So... Sungmin is coming over.”

“Oh.” Donghae nods in acceptance. “Why?”

“He wants to make sure we're okay and he has something to tell us, I guess. He was already driving when he called so he should be here soon.”

“Then we should probably wait downstairs for him,” Donghae suggests.

“Good idea,” Hyukjae agrees. They both sit in an awkward silence before Donghae gets up and leaves the room. Hyukjae temporarily considers thinking about what had just happened but he forces himself to just get out of bed and follow Donghae downstairs.

Hyukjae tidies an already immaculate kitchen while Donghae straightens a painting on the wall that's not the least bit crooked. Eventually, there's a knock on the door and Donghae practically runs to open it.

“Hi,” Sungmin says with a simultaneous breath of relief. “Are you guys okay?”

“I already said we were fine,” Hyukjae mumbles, arms crossed. “But thanks for asking.”

“I'm just making sure. You were all over the news.”

“It's really nice of you to worry,” Donghae says, “but we're really okay. It's been... a long day, to say the least, but we're okay.”

“That's good,” Sungmin sighs, “but I have something to tell you that might make your day feel a little longer.”

“Great.” Hyukjae trudges over to the couch and falls onto it. “Bring it on.”

Donghae joins Hyukjae on the couch and Sungmin takes a seat in an armchair adjacent to them.

“Okay, so I talked to Sunny and she said that after she saw your wedding picture on the news, she noticed that the copy they had hanging up in the restaurant was gone. But when she checked the security tapes, she noticed that it went missing yesterday. That means that before you guys were even at the gas station, someone stole that picture.”

“What?” is all that Hyukjae can say in disbelief.

“I've been thinking about it and I remembered hearing people in the salon talk about the mysterious police officer coming back from the dead. If word spread to them, it could have easily spread to the media as well.”

“They were probably planning for this to be a big story before today even happened,” Donghae adds. Hyukjae and Sungmin turn to him to find a very serious look on his face. “The gas station event must have forced them to air it before they were ready which would explain why their information was all over the place.”

“Could Sunny see who stole the picture?” Hyukjae asks.

“I didn't ask. Why?”

“Because if we find them, we can sue the out of them. Not just for stealing but for emotional distress, too. I'm sure the judge will gladly side with a local hero over some greedy monster.”

“Only one news station had our picture,” Donghae says. “Someone either sold it to them or they did their research and found it themselves. Either way, we have a starting point. If Sunny and Luna can get a clear image of the thief or at least remember him, I can get the guys at the station to help us find them.”

“Or,” Sungmin interrupts Hyukjae and Donghae's plans, “you two could calm down and let the police take care of all of it. No offense, Donghae, but it's just... you guys have enough to worry about.

“Well we can't just let someone get away with this,” Hyukjae protests.

“We won't,” Sungmin assures. “I'll talk to Sunny again and if she can find something, I'll let you guys know. Then you can sue away. But for now, just relax.”

Hyukjae looks reluctant but he gives in and nods. Sungmin looks at Donghae who eventually nods as well.

“Good.” Sungmin stands up, satisfied with himself. “I'll talk to you guys later.” Hyukjae shows him out and then sighs as he comes back into the living room.

“So much for not thinking today,” Donghae mutters, rubbing his temples. Hyukjae looks at him. He sees the mental exhaustion and it's obvious how bothered Donghae is.

“We agreed with Sungmin that we would relax. So we're gonna relax. And we're still not thinking.”

Donghae looks at Hyukjae with a small smile. “You mean today is still 'avoid all of our problems' day?”

“Absolutely. I'm making dinner. I'll cook, you clean up after. Deal? Deal.”

Hyukjae swiftly walks into the kitchen without giving Donghae room to speak. Donghae just smiles and turns on the television, being sure to avoid any channel that broadcasts news. He manages to relax for about fifteen minutes before Hyukjae walks in and sets a tray of microwaved food down in front of him. He laughs.

“When you said you'd cook and I'd clean, you weren't planning on either of us doing any cooking or cleaning, were you?”

“Someone once told me that cooking requires thinking.” Hyukjae takes a bite of his own food and lets himself be absorbed in the show they're watching. Even without looking, he can feel Donghae's smile as he does the same.

-