Guilt

Battle Experiment No. 48 Program

36 students remaining

The cliff on the northernmost side of the island was already visible from where Kim Junmyeon (Male Student No. 5) already was. Junmyeon was now on top of the hill in sector C=7.

Just a few hundred meters more. I will see Jieun again! We will finally see each other!

Junmyeon started to descend the hill, holding the bunch of flowers he picked for Jieun tightly.

More than an hour ago, Jieun had scribbled "at the northernmost side" on the piece of paper (right beside "We shall kill each other") which she passed on to Junmyeon. He held onto it until he departed about ten minutes ago. He had heard a gunshot just as Kim Hyuna was leaving the classroom and had seen the corpses of Kang Jihyun and Wu Yifan when he left the school. He also heard the sound of gunshots in the distance just a few minutes ago.

The game had begun, and it would continue until the end. According to Hyunsuk, only one student was allowed to survive this game. The rest should be dead. That means that Junmyeon and Jieun can’t leave this island together. Well, he didn’t really want to think of what might happen. All he wanted was to see Jieun again, alive and well.

There were only fourteen of them left when his name was called out. He followed the paved road in front of the school to the park marked in his map. He decided to pick some flowers for Jieun in the park before heading towards the northernmost side of the island in sector B=7. Luckily, he didn’t come across anyone since he left the school. He was sure, too, that Jieun managed to get there safely since she was the second student to leave. The only thing that worried him was if someone got to Jieun before he even arrives. With this thought in mind, he rushed down the hill and increased his pacing. He wanted to get there as soon as possible.

It was during their first year in middle school when they first met. Junmyeon was the smart and handsome class representative while Lee Jieun was one of the popular girls in the class. She was pretty, yet still humble and kind. It was inevitable. Junmyeon had been captivated by her feminine charm. For him, Jieun was elegant, someone calm as a serene lake hidden deep inside a forest. So one day, a few months later, when everyone else left the classroom, Junmyeon gathered his courage and finally confessed to Jieun. She, too, confessed her feelings for Junmyeon. It was that day, in an empty classroom, when they shared their first kiss. They have been a couple ever since.

Junmyeon remembered the day just a few months ago, when Jieun opened the idea about the Program to Junmyeon. It was after they had finished watching Jieun’s favorite TV drama. They went to the park near Jieun’s house to watch the sunset.

“What if our class get chosen in this year’s Program?”

“Huh? The Program?”

Junmyeon slightly shuddered at the word.

“Yes. We’re on our third year in middle school now aren’t we? There is a chance that we might get chosen.”

“But that chance is so close to null! There are countless middle school classes in the whole republic! In our school alone we have five third year classes. I’m sure we won’t be chosen.”

“What if, though? What if we got somehow selected? What would you do?

Junmyeon was out of words to say. The Program was a taboo topic for him. Even when he entered third year middle school, the idea of getting into the Program never entered his mind. It was just plain absurd. The chance that his class would be selected was too remote for Junmyeon. So he doesn’t really know how to respond when Jieun asked him.

What would I do if I was chosen for the Program?

Before he could even answer, Jieun started speaking again.

“If we were chosen for the Program, I’ll probably be really scared. I’m sure that the others will be too scared to the point that they’ll start killing indiscriminately to survive. I’ll probably be eliminated early on.” Then she gave off a light laugh.

Junmyeon just stared at her.

“But do you know what makes it more sad and frightening?” Jieun turned to look at Junmyeon’s eyes. “That we'll never be able to go home together. We won't be able to spend time together walking around town, eating ice cream, and doing anything else anymore."

He doesn’t really know how to respond but he felt as if he should say something comforting to her.

“Well, we could always resist the government.” He said half-jokingly.

Jieun looked grave. "It's pointless to resist. I should know. When I was still a kid, I heard my parents were against the government, and then one night…"

Junmyeon could tell from her hand that she was trembling.

"The police came and killed both of my parents. No warrant. Nothing. They just came in without a word and shot my father dead immediately. I can still remember it clearly. We were in the living room. I was still small. My mother brought me to my room. She told me never to go out until she comes back. I remember hiding under my bed while gunshots rang outside my bedroom. I was so scared. I cried myself to sleep under my bed. My aunt and uncle found me there the next morning. Then, I grew up and slept without having nightmares about it. I learned to deal with it."

Jieun turned to Junmyeon "It's no use resisting."

It was the first time she had ever told him about the incident, even though they'd been going out for two years.

Junmyeon felt there must be something else to say, but all he could muster up struck him as incredibly trite. "That must have been hard."

But Jieun broke into a smile. "You're so kind, Jun. You're so kind. That's what I like about you."

"I like you too. I love you so much. I will protect you no matter what."

If he weren't so inarticulate, Junmyeon could have said so much more. Of how much her expressions, her words, her gentle manner, and untainted pure soul meant to him.

How important, in short, her existence was to him. But he couldn’t put it in words. He was only a third-year student in junior high.

I wanted to make sure I see Jieun again.

He was sure he was close to the cliff. Just a few more meters.

Junmyeon walked past the thicket into the clearing that was surrounding the cliff.

I will finally see Jieun again! I will fi

Junmyeon entered the steep cliff that hung over the sea. It was over twenty meters high. The waves crashed against the cliff and exploded into mist that drifted into the mild wind. But…

Jieun was nowhere to be seen.


36 students remaining

Junmyeon knew that it was a risk for the both of them if he called out to her. Junmyeon took his gun, a Colt Python .357 Magnum Revolver, from the daypack and held onto it.

Maybe she got tired of waiting so she walked around for a while. Or maybe she was out to relieve herself. But Junmyeon couldn’t help but think that something bad must have happened.

He scanned the clearing surrounding the cliff.

Then he saw the glistening silver bolt sticking from the ground. Bright red spots were visible on the green grass a few feet away from the silver bolt. Blood.

Junmyeon’s heart dropped. The bunch of flowers fell from his hand. He saw a trail of blood more than a few feet away leading into the thicket to the west.

He was running now, following the trail of blood. The grass and bushes near the trail looked as if it was trampled on. After about a hundred meters, Junmyeon saw Jieun’s bag, which she had packed for the study trip with him, torn open. Its contents scattered around it. Two silver bolts were sticking out of the bag.

His heartbeat raced. He ran as fast as he could, still following the trail of blood.

About five hundred meters away from the cliff, the trail of blood led into a glade. It was about three hundred meters across with bright wildflowers dotting the field and a flowing stream running through it. Junmyeon scanned the glade.

By the stream was…

A body in the school-issued black and red coat and skirt was lying on its stomach.

Junmyeon creeped closer, afraid of knowing who it might be.

I have to make sure who it is. I have to make sure it isn’t her.

It was a girl. A silver bolt was sticking out of her back. Another one was sticking out of her calf. The sleeve of her school coat was slashed open and soaked with blood. Her long hair was gathered back in a ponytail with a red ribbon with white polka dots.

Junmyeon’s eyes widened.


36 students remaining

More than an hour ago, after she left the school, Jieun went directly towards the northernmost side of the island. She was the second one out so she didn’t worry about encountering anyone. The chances of coming across Wu Yifan, who was the first to depart, were too minute. After arriving at the cliff in sector B=7, she opened her daypack and found her supplied weapon, an icepick, along with two water bottles and rolls of bread.

She contemplated on the ice pick for a while before putting it down on the grass by her daypack. She didn’twant to play this game. She couldn’teven imagine herself killing another student to survive.

I won’t get into this madness. I won’t. Oh, if only Junmyeon could arrive here sooner.

After about fifty minutes, Jieun looked at her watch. Based on her estimation, Junmyeon would arrive in about fifteen more minutes.

She took the bag that she had packed for the study trip and took out her favorite red ribbon with white polka dots. It was a gift from Junmyeon for her birthday four months ago. Jumyeon knew that she doesn’t want a fancy gift for her birthday so she was so happy when he gave her a simple yet meaningful gift. She wore it almost every day ever since.

She was tying her long hair back into a ponytail when she heard something rustle behind her. She turned around and saw someone in a school coat and pants standing still in the thicket.

Junmyeon!

Jieun stood up and about to run to the boy when she noticed two things.

First, it was just five minutes ago when she checked her watch. Junmyeon would have just left the school.

Second, the figure among the trees was holding something with both hands. It looked somewhat like a gun but she wasn’t sure. The figure was partly hidden in the shadows of the trees.

Her heartbeat raced. She bended down and picked up the ice pick.

The figure approached. The boy walked out of the thicket of trees onto the clearing. Their eyes met. The face, which had an expression of utter astonishment, belonged to Kim Jongdae (Male Student No. 3).

Oh, why did I have to bump into him?

What mattered now was that she was totally exposed and how dangerous that was.

“Jieun, are you alone?”

Jieun realized Jongdae held a crossbow loaded with an arrow in his right hand. It wasn't pointed at Jieun right now—but if it was, could she dodge it and run away? Should she answer him?

“Come with me.” Jongdae approached, offering his arm to Jieun. His voice sounded kind and reassuring. “I will protect you from them.”

Jieun stepped back.

“Ah, no. You see, I was waiting for Junmyeon. We’re supposed to meet here. He’ll arrive soon.” She managed to say casually without stuttering.

They were classmates since kindergarten. He was the star player of the school baseball team and was really popular. They used to be close friends until middle school when Jongdae started courting her. He was really kind and sweet but at that time Jieun already liked Junmyeon. And besides, she only loved Jongdae as a close friend. She could never give Jongdae the love he wanted from her. When Jongdae learned that the two of them became a couple, Jongdae changed. He became…different. He started losing his temper at petty things and also started bullying some of their classmates. Jongdae scared her…but she felt guilty that he changed.

Jongdae took a step forward.

His tone changed in a blink of an eye.

“Junmyeon? Do you think Junmyeon can still protect you!?”

Jieun was shocked at his sudden outburst.

She raised her free hand (the other one was holding the ice pick) gently.

“C-calm down, will you.” She almost pleaded.

“No! I won’t!” He continued to approach Jieun.

“I-I don’t think you should be d—”

“You betrayed me. I thought I was your friend!” Jongdae’s voice was filled with spite. “You befriended me because I was popular, right? Then threw me away when someone more popular and handsome came your way, right?”

Jongdae was losing his mind.

“Let’s see if Junmyeon can still protect you, you !”

Jieun swung her arm at Jongdae.

The ice pick grazed his left cheek. Then she took both of her bags then turned to run when a sharp pain shot through her left arm. A silver bolt thudded at the ground next to her. She sprinted to the west as fast as she could. She looked at her left arm. Her left sleeve was slashed open, revealing torn skin beneath. The arrow has cut her arm and now blood was dripping from the wound. Jieun bit down the pain. She was lucky it didn’t impale her arm. That would’ve been worse.

She continued running through the thicket. She could hear Jongdae chasing after her. Jongdae was an athlete and she was injured. Jieun was certain he would catch up eventually.

The branches of the bushes and small trees cut at her face and legs but she could care less. The only thing she wanted was to get away fro—

She heard a whistling sound behind her.

A silver bolt flew by her head and landed on a tree ahead. It nicked her ear, she could feel it.

She looked back and saw Jongdae, who was now a few meters away, raised his crossbow to shoot.

She raised her bag (the one she packed for the trip) to block the bolt.

Jieun felt something thud against the bag. She continued running a few more meters when she heard another whistling sound. She raised her bag.

The bag tore open, its contents spilling from it.

Jieun turned south and continued running until she arrived at the glade.

A stream was running in the middle of it. She needed to cross that to get away from Jongdae.

She was halfway to the stream when a sharp pain cut through her calf.

Her momentum caused her to fall forward.

She forced herself to stand up and continue toward the stream. Another bolt pierced her back. She felt her chest burn in pain. Drops of blood decorated the wildflowers by her feet.

She fell down by the stream and this time, she lay still.

So, this is how it’s gonna end huh. I never even got the chance to see Junmyeon.

She saw Jongdae approaching with his crossbow raised.

“You see. Junmyeon is incapable of protecting you. He is weak! I bet he’s already dead. And so are you.”

He put his finger on the trigger to deliver the final blow.

“I’m sorry.”

Tears flooded Jieun’s eyes. Guilt overwhelmed her. She was the one who turned Jongdae into this.

“I’m sorry. I really do. I deserve to die.”

Crying right now required a huge effort. Her lung was screaming in pain as she sobbed but she couldn’t control it.

She smiled at him. “I was lucky to be your friend.  Even for a while.”

She stared at Jongdae’s eyes before closing her eyes.

Her body couldn’t handle the strain of crying anymore. Her body stopped trembling and she also stopped crying. She was still breathing though it was very light.

Mistaking her to be dead, Jongdae lowered his crossbow.

Jongdae's jaw dropped. Why? Why would you apologize to me when you're in so much pain? That's—

Strangely enough, it suddenly all came to him. The black mist clouding his thoughts suddenly cleared as if blown away by the soft breeze blowing against his body. His burning jealousy and hatred suddenly vanished as if shredded by the wind, and all his previous (although it was only two days ago) memories of the Third Year Class D classroom along with the cheerful expressions of Lee Jieun came back to him. How she laughed at her classmates antics, how she looked so calm and serene during class, how she apologized to her teammates after they lost at volleyball because of her, which he managed to see from where he was playing baseball. And then when he was injured from baseball, how she assisted in treating him, not leaving the school clinic until he said he was fine. How she looked so concerned then.

Oh no. Jongdae finally understood the situation. This is Jieun. I…why? Why did I have to think I had to kill Jieun? Why did I believe that she threw me away? It's Jieun. A-and…

Then a different thought occurred to him. The actions he took and its results.

I…my mind was all screwed up…and…and that's how I ended up—

Jongdae burst into tears. He knelt by her then let out a howl of pure grief.

He dropped his crossbow and day pack then took Jieun’s ice pick from her hand.

“I’m sorry, Jieun. It wasn’t your fault. It was me all along.”

He waded into the stream until the water came up to his waist.

He looked back at Jieun one last time before driving the ice pick deep into his chest where it pierced his heart.

Jieun looked as Jongdae’s body sank into the stream before she passed out.


35 students remaining

Jieun let out a groan. Her eyelids fluttered open, her eyes immediately found Junmyeon.

He was cradling her.

It was already too late. Junmyeon knew. The bolts might have ruptured one of her lungs. She lost a lot of blood, too.

“You came.”

Jieun’s voice came out harsh and raspy.

Junmyeon felt as if his heart was being crushed. Even so, he smiled for her.

“Of course I have.”  

Tears threaten to choke him up but he held it back. Junmyeon turned her around, careful not to touch the bolt still stuck in her back, then held her in his arms.

“Who did this to you?”

“I-It doesn’t m-matter now.”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to protect you. I was too late. If only I ha—”

His eyes were b with tears.

However, Jieun only pressed a finger on Junmyeon’s lips.

“Shhh. It’s not your fault.”

Beneath her hair, which was gathered into a ponytail, her pretty profile, beginning with her wide forehead, seemed to be forming a smile.

Jieun took a deep breath. She felt as if poison were spreading through her body which strangely felt both chilly and at the same time incredibly hot. "Jun, could you just…hold me tight? It'll be…over soon."

Junmyeon tightened his lips and lifted her up, hugging her tightly to his body with both his arms. Her head was on the verge of falling back but Junmyeon held it up.

As they hugged each other, her body trembled slightly like a wounded little bird.

She felt like she could say one more thing.

"You have to survive, Junmyeon."

Dear God, can I have one more word?

Jieun looked into Junmyeon's eyes and grinned.

“I love you, Jun.”

“I love you too.”

Jieun smiled faintly. She wanted to thank him, but she was out of breath. She just stared at Junmyeon's eyes. She was grateful. At least, she wasn't going to die alone. The last person to stay with her ended up being Junmyeon and she was grateful. She really was.

Lee Jieun remained in this position as she died approximately two minutes later. Her eyes remained open. Kim Junmyeon held her limp, lifeless body and wept.


34 students remaining

Joo Minhee (Female Student No. 16) sat in the dark, hugging her knees while her small body shook violently. She was inside a house farthest from the park in the residential area on the eastern shore. The lights might have worked, but Minhee didn't dare try them. The moonlight coming through the window didn't reach under the worn out kitchen table she was hiding under. It was almost pitch black, so she couldn't check her watch, but two hours had probably passed since she sat down here. It was probably almost 4 a.m...Was it one and a half hour since she heard that distant, faint sound that sounded like firecrackers? No, Minhee didn't even want to think about what that really was.

She was aware the government probably relocated the island's residents to some temporary housing units, but the remaining traces of someone’s life in this house were unnatural and creepy. It reminded her of the ghost story she'd heard as a child. She became even more terrified.

Immediately after her departure, she had no idea where she was headed. Next thing she knew she was in the middle of this residential area. The first thought that occurred to her was that there weren't too many students out yet. She was the tenth to leave the school. Nine were already out…but only nine. There were fifty or sixty houses in this area, so the chances of encountering one of them were basically non-existent. And as long as she locked the door and kept the place to herself… then she would be safe at least until she had to move. The collar that would explode if she remained in one of the forbidden zones was oppressive, but there was nothing she could do about it. Hyunsuk had warned that, "If you try to pry it loose, it will explode." In any case, the important thing was to make sure she could hear Hyunsuk's announcement of the time and location of each forbidden zone.

So Minhee had headed to the farthest area from the school and tried to enter a house, but the first one was locked. So was the second one. The third one she broke the backyard window to enter. It made a loud noise but no one seemed to be in the area. She entered. There was no use locking the window now. She closed the curtains over the window instead. Once it was shut, the inside turned pitch black, and she felt as if she'd wandered into a haunted house. She managed to pull out her flashlight though and searched the house. She took a wooden coffee table to block the backyard door shut.

And now she was under the kitchen table. Killing each other was out of the question. But what if… just what if this area (checking the map, she found the whole area was almost completely inside sector H=7) never turned into a forbidden zone, then she might end up surviving.

But…Minhee continued shaking as she continued to think. That was terrible. Of course…according to the rules of the game, everyone was your enemy so you couldn't trust anyone. That's why she was shaking right now…but, but even if the game ended and she turned out to be the sole survivor, then that would also mean everyone else had died: her friends (like Shin Jimin and Jeon Boram), as well as Kim Minseok, who made her heart flutter every time she thought of him.

Then she also remembered her family. If she dies, she won’t see her family again, ever. Minhee remembered how whenever she returns home tired from school, seeing her family would cheer her up again. She remembered how her parents would encourage her and support her whenever she felt unconfident. How her grandmother praised her even when her grades weren’t that high. How she and her sister share secrets and talk about school and, of course, boys. Those were just little things for others but for Minhee, those were precious memories. And those were all in the past now.

Just twelve hours ago, her sister promised to bake her favorite strawberry shortcake for her birthday when she returns home from the study trip.

Oh right. It was supposed to be my birthday.

She imagined herself celebrating with her family, eating that delicious shortcake her sister always baked for her.

Minhee hummed the Happy Birthday song to herself.

Her shaking subsided a little. Oh, if only I were with them right now, it would be so wonderful…

But then Minhee's heart leaped.

…it was a shattering sound.

The sound of broken glass.

Minhee turned towards the origin of the sound. It came from the sitting room which she had checked to make sure it was locked. Someone was coming. Someone. Why, though? Of all the houses here, why this one?

Minhee panicked and took the weapon from her day pack, a sickle, the kind used to harvest rice. She gripped it tightly. She had to escape as quickly as possible.

God, make sure they can't hear my pounding heart.

She heard the sound of a window opening, then closing, then the sound of careful, quiet footsteps. They seemed to be moving around the house, but then they headed directly towards the kitchen and Minhee. Minhee's heart pounded even louder.

A thin ray of light shot through the kitchen. The ray glided over the kettle and cupboard above the sink.

Someone sighed with relief and said to herself, "Good, there's no one here."

The footsteps entered the kitchen. As soon as Minhee heard the voice, though, Minhee was aghast. Any minuscule hope that she could work something out in case the intruder turned out to be a friend had been completely shattered…because…it was her voice, Kim Hyuna (Female Student No. 2), the meanest girl in the entire school. A single glance from her was enough to intimidate any teacher.

Hyuna was more frightening to Minhee than any of the ill-reputed boys, Kwon Jiyong and his gang. It might have been because, like Minhee, Kim Hyuna was a girl, and also, yes of course, because Minhee herself had been harassed by Liu Amber, who was in Hyuna's gang, when they first became classmates in second year. If they were in the same hall, Amber would trip her or slash her skirt with a razor. Lately, maybe because she'd simply lost interest in Minhee, Amber had stopped harassing her. (She was still disappointed though when she learned that her third-year class was to be the same as her second-year class.) Hyuna herself didn't pick on Minhee, but Hyuna was someone even Amber couldn't defy.

That's right…Kim Hyuna would relish killing someone like her.

Minhee's body began trembling again. Oh…please no, don't shake…if she hears me…Minhee wrapped her body tightly with her arms to keep her arms from shaking.

From beneath the table, Minhee could see Hyuna's hand holding a flashlight and the belt of her skirt glowing behind it. She heard the sound of Hyuna rifling through the drawers of the sink.

Please hurry…hurry up and get out of here. If you could at least just get out of this room…that's right, then I could go to the bathroom. I could lock it from inside and escape through the window. Please hurry…

CLANG!

A tiny shriek escaped Minhee’s mouth as the loud noise startled her.

A pot lid was now lying on the floor almost beneath the table she was hiding under. Maybe Hyuna bumped into it as she was looking through the kitchen.

Please. Please. I hope she didn’t hear that.

“Who’s there? Show yourself!”

So she heard me. Please. Please leave now.

Minhee hoped that Hyuna will leave knowing someone was already in the house. But…Hyuna still hadn’t left. Instead, the ray of light from the flashlight fell on the pot lid on the floor…and Hyuna was bending down to pick it up!

Hyuna was taller than Minhee, but she couldn't have been much stronger. Hyuna's weapon—could it possibly be a gun?—no, then Hyuna would have aimed it over where she was and fired. If Hyuna didn't have a gun—then Minhee might have a chance. That's right, she had to kill. If she didn't kill, Hyuna would surely kill her.

She had to kill.

Now was the time—all she had to do was get up, run toward the source of the light with her sickle.

But Minhee's intentions were about to be abruptly undermined by an unexpected turn of events.

The flashlight beam fell on a lower spot, and Kim Hyuna sank down on the floor into the light, staring at Minhee. Tears were streaming down Hyuna’s cheeks.

"I'm so glad…" her trembling lips finally parted, and she managed to say in a feeble voice, "I'm…I'm…I'm so scared...."

Hyuna's voice was half shrieking. She both of her hands forward as if seeking Minhee's protection. Her hands were empty.

Then she continued, "I can trust you, right? I can trust you. You wouldn't think of killing me, would you? You'll stay with me, won't you?"

Minhee was stunned. This was Kim Hyuna crying. She's asking for my help…

Oh…as the shaking in her body subsided, Minhee felt an indescribable emotion well up inside her.

That's right. So that's how it was. It didn't matter how bad her reputation was, Hyuna was just another third-year junior high school student like her. Even Kim Hyuna couldn't take part in something as horrible as killing other classmates. She was just lonely and scared out of her wits.

And…oh, how terrible, I'd actually considered it. I thought of killing her.

I'm so…I'm so horrible.

Minhee burst into tears, overwhelmed by self-loathing along with the security that she now felt she was no longer alone, she was with someone.

The sickle slipped through Minhee's hands. She crawled on the floor, emerged from under the table, and held Hyuna's offered hands. As if a dam inside her was bursting, she blurted out, "Hyuna! Hyuna!"

She knew she was shaking this time from a different kind of emotion. It didn't matter. She was…she was…

"It's all right. I'll stay with you. We'll stay together."

Minhee remembered the time when she arrived home crying after Liu Amber bullied her again. Her sister had comforted her. Hugged her in a way not unlike how Hyuna was hugging her now. It was comforting.

"Hey…" Minhee began to blurt out, "I-I…"

"Hm?" Hyuna lifted her teary eyes up to Minhee.

Minhee pursed her lips tightly to stifle a shriek and shook her head. "I-I'm so ashamed of myself. For a moment, I was trying to kill you. I thought of killing you. Because I was…I was so scared."

Hyuna's eyes widened when she heard this—but she didn't get upset. All she did was slightly nod her face which had been scrunched up from crying hysterically. Then she offered a warm smile. "That's okay. Really. Don't get too upset. It's only to be expected in this awful situation. Really, don't get upset. Okay? Just stay with me, please?"

Oh. Minhee thought, I was so wrong about her. It turned out Hyuna was an incredibly kind girl. She managed to forgive someone who tried to kill her with such a kind response, "It's okay." Didn't our teacher, Mr. Youngmin, who's already been killed, warn us how wrong it is to judge people just by their reputations?

With these thoughts, Minhee felt something well up inside her again. She held Hyuna's body even more tightly. That was all she could do for now. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I am such a horrible person, really.

Hyuna is just like my sister. She is. She would protect me from the others. My sister will—

The slashing sound Minhee heard sounded like a lemon being cut.

It was a nice sound. The knife must have been really sharp and the lemon fresh.

It took her a few seconds to realize what had occurred.

Minhee saw Hyuna's right hand. On the left side under her chin, her hand held a gently curved, banana-shaped blade that reflected dully against the flashlight beam. It was a sickle—the very same sickle that came from her daypack; her supplied weapon. And now its tip was stuck in Minhee's throat...

Her left hand clutching the back of Minhee's head, Hyuna dug the sickle in further. It made another crunching noise.

Minhee's throat began to burn, but it didn't last very long. She couldn't say a word and lost consciousness as her chest warmed over with blood. She expired, unable to form any idea of what it meant exactly to have a blade stuck in . Betrayed in the arms of Hyuna, she died with the thought of hugging her sister once again.

Hyuna let go of Minhee, who collapsed onto the floor right beside her.

Hyuna quickly turned off her flashlight and stood up. She wiped away the annoying tears (which she could produce any time. It was in fact one of her special talents). Holding the sickle in her right hand up to the moonlight, she whipped the blood off onto the floor. The blood drops made a splattering sound against the floor.

Not bad for starters, Hyuna thought. She was hoping for a knife or a gun, but all she got was a ing pot lid. Was that even considered a weapon? But…

…it turned out the pot lid wasn't so bad. After all, it helped her figure out where Minhee was hiding.

Looking down at Minhee's corpse, she spoke slowly and quietly, "I'm sorry. I was also trying to kill you."

She was about to leave when she remembered something.

“Oh, I almost forgot.”

A few minutes ago, Hyuna was passing by this house when she heard someone humming a faint ‘Happy Birthday’ tune, which turned out to be Minhee.

“Happy Birthday to you~”

Then Hyuna crouched by Minhee’s corpse surrounded by a pool of her own blood and giggled.

RED doesn’t really suit you, though.”


33 students remaining

 



 

Did you guys saw what i did there? hahaha

"A monkey's is RED. RED is HYUNA"

hahahaha pretty clever, right?

also, feel free to comment~ 

i would appreciate it if you guys do.

i would be really encouraged :)