Goodbye My Lover

Goodbye My Lover

          The clock in the dorm read 1:24 am when Kyuhyun turned over and looked at it. He slowly sat up and threw his legs over the side of the bed before sighing and rubbing his tired eyes. Kyuhyun gazed back at a sleeping Sungmin who was lying next to him. He was getting married in a couple of days and Kyuhyun wasn’t taking it well at all. The last thing he wanted was Sungmin to get married to someone other than him, but what could he say; nothing. Kyuhyun smiled at the black haired Korean and laid back down next to Sungmin, wrapping an arm around his best friend and pressing a light kiss on his shoulder before burying his face on the back of Sungmin’s neck, taking in Sungmin’s scent, the scent he’d been in love with for so long. Now it was going to be taken from him.

          Kyuhyun grazed his lips down Sungmin’s back, lightly so as not to wake him, as he remembered the first time he’d met Sungmin. It was back when he first joined the group, eight years ago.

          *Flashback 8 years ago*

          Leeteuk opened up the room to the large dorm area and led Kyuhyun inside. “Don’t be shy, everyone’s going to love you,” Leeteuk promised before turning to the other boys. “Guys, this is our newest member, Kyuhyun.”

          “Hi Kyuhyun,” the group said in unison.

          “Hello everyone,” Kyuhyun replied in a shy tone.

          “Kyuhyun, you’re going to be sharing a room with Sungmin,” Leeteuk informed as he pointed over at the blonde in the corner. Sungmin and Kyuhyun met one another’s gaze before Leeteuk asked “Sungmin, could you show Kyuhyun where he’ll be staying?”

          “Sure Leeteuk,” Sungmin agreed quietly before standing up and leading Kyuhyun to the bedroom he stayed in. “This is where I stay. You can have that bed over there.”

          “Okay thanks,” Kyuhyun responded. “What’s your name again?”

          “Lee Sungmin, can you repeat your name again please?” Sungmin requested.

          “Cho Kyuhyun is my name,” Kyuhyun stated.

          “Well I hope you and I can be good friends,” Sungmin said with a smile.

          “I bet we will,” Kyuhyun promised as he started to make his bed up.

          *End flashback*

          Kyuhyun smiled at his memories before he gently turned Sungmin over onto his back and kissed his cheek. Resting his forehead against Sungmin’s, he closed his eyes and recalled their first kiss together.

          *Flashback several years earlier*

          Kyuhyun returned to the dorm one night after a Super Show performance and heard crying coming from inside his and Sungmin’s room. Quickly, Kyuhyun opened up the door and hurried inside to find Sungmin lying on his bed in the fetal position. “Sungmin, are you alright?” Kyuhyun wondered as he walked over to his best friend and sat down on the bed next to him.

          “No, I’m not having a good night,” Sungmin informed as he rolled over to face Kyuhyun.

          “What’s wrong?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “I don’t want to talk about it right now,” Sungmin cried.

          “Okay, well I’ll just leave you alone now,” Kyuhyun responded.

          As he stood up, Sungmin reached up and grabbed Kyuhyun’s hand and pleaded “No, please stay with me.”

          “Stay with you? Like lay beside you?” Kyuhyun questioned. Sungmin nodded before Kyuhyun added “Alright, I’ll stay here with you.” He lay down next to Sungmin and wrapped his arms around his friend as Sungmin moved his body closer to Kyuhyun’s and he leaned his head against Kyuhyun’s chest. The brunette tried to calm down Sungmin’s crying by his hair and shushing him quietly. “Why won’t you tell me what’s bothering you?”

          “It’s embarrassing,” Sungmin revealed.

          “Sungmin, you and I are best friends, you can trust that I won’t laugh at something you feel uncomfortable about, I promise,” Kyuhyun whispered.

          “Well it’s just, at the Super Show tonight, Heechul kissed me,” Sungmin said.

          “So, Heechul kisses everyone, that’s just how he is,” Kyuhyun reminded.

          “You don’t get it though, that was my first kiss, and I wanted my first kiss to be more than just a fan service,” Sungmin explained.

          “You wanted more passion and love in it right?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “Yeah,” Sungmin agreed.

          Kyuhyun tilted Sungmin’s face up to his own and held his chin in his hand before placing a loving kiss on Sungmin’s lips. He slid his hands up Sungmin’s back to grip his shoulders and pull him closer as he pushed Sungmin’s lips apart with his own as he kissed his now blonde friend more passionately. Pulling away slowly, a small string of saliva connected their lips as they gasped quietly. Kyuhyun the back of his hand down Sungmin’s face and whispered “Something like that?”

          “Yeah, like that,” Sungmin confirmed before pressing his head against Kyuhyun’s chest once more.

          *End Flashback*

          Sitting back up, Kyuhyun climbed out of bed, slid on a pair of jeans over his boxers and a t-shirt on over his head, before zipping up a jacket quietly as he slipped some shoes on. He looked down at Sungmin and bit his lower lip, before running a hand through his best friend’s hair again. Silently, Kyuhyun retrieved a suitcase from inside the closet and began to quietly pack all of his clothes and toiletries into the luggage before zipping it up.

          He carried the baggage into the living room area and a small light in the kitchen before sitting down at the table and pulling out a piece of paper and a pen. Kyuhyun looked down at the blank white page and began to write quickly, tears falling from his eyes every so often to stain the paper. When he was finished, Kyuhyun folded it up and took it back into Sungmin’s room, setting it down on the bedside table. Kyuhyun sat down next to Sungmin and pressed a final kiss against Sungmin’s lips, before whispering with a teary voice “Goodbye Sungmin.”

          Kyuhyun turned, wiped the back of his hand across his eyes, and walked out of the bedroom. He took his suitcase and carried it out of the dorm before closing the door quietly. The dark haired Korean headed outside and walked down the sidewalks of Seoul alone. As he crossed a bridge, Kyuhyun dropped his suitcase and climbed up onto the ledge, held onto a steel beam, and looked down at the dark water far below him.

          Closing his eyes, Kyuhyun wondered if it was worth it to jump and just end his pain and misery right there and then, but he thought of Sungmin, and what the news of his death would do to him. The image of Sungmin standing at his grave crying with his wife by his side caused Kyuhyun to open his eyes and let tears fall from his eyes as he breathed in and out quickly, watching the cold air turn his quick breaths to steam. As he calmed down and took a deep, shaky breath, Kyuhyun forced himself back down onto the sidewalk, muttering “Not today.”

          Kyuhyun picked up his suitcase and kept walking until he reached a bus station. Being only two in the morning, there was no one else with him as the young Korean boarded the bus and took a seat in the back, setting his suitcase in the seat next to him. Looking out of the window, Kyuhyun leaned his head against the glass and closed his eyes as tears slipped down his cheeks; knowing that by the time Sungmin read his note, Kyuhyun would already be long gone. When the bus stopped, Kyuhyun exited and walked into the Seoul Airport, requesting “One ticket to America for the earliest flight possible please.”

          “The earliest flight leaves at eight in the morning,” the woman informed.

          “I’ll take it,” Kyuhyun stated. The woman printed out Kyuhyun a ticket and handed it to him. Taking it, the dark haired Korean walked over to a chair and sat down, trying to relax for the next five and a half hours.

          The next morning, Sungmin stretched as he woke up, but turned over to see Kyuhyun was gone. “Kyuhyun?” he called quietly. When Sungmin didn’t hear an answer, he looked over at the bedside table and found a note with his name on it. Curious, Sungmin grabbed the paper and opened it up, revealing a letter that Kyuhyun had wrote for him.

          “Dear Sungmin, there are so many things I want to say to you, but I don’t know where to begin. I guess I’ll start with the obvious; by the time you read this letter, I’ll be on a plane to America. Yes America. I’m leaving South Korea, leaving Super Junior, and sadly, I have to leave you. Do not think you did anything wrong, because that’s not the case. I just cannot live every day seeing the one person I love in the arms of another person. I’ll admit it, I’m addicted to you Sungmin, I love everything about you; your touch, your scent, your smile, your laugh, everything, and that’s why I have to do this. We’ve shared everything with each other, laughter, tears, kisses, drinks, dreams, thoughts, even a bed. As you move on with Kim Saeun, please remember me. Remember us and all that we were to one another in the eight years of our friendship. You were everything I wanted, and I’ll always love you. Nothing will ever take your place in my heart, and I’ll dream of you every night for the rest of my life; dreaming of a world where we could’ve been together. You own my heart Lee Sungmin, no one else will ever take that from you. You may be wondering if we’ll ever meet again, well only time will tell. I’ll wait as long as it takes, if it means I get to see you in the future. Goodbye my lover, my best friend, my soul mate, my Sungmin. I love you, I’ll always love you. Forever living in your heart, Kyuhyun.”

          Sungmin read the letter many times over, noticing the tear stains on the paper. He closed his eyes and cried out loudly as he felt his heart break into pieces. The last thing Sungmin wanted was for Kyuhyun to go, but Kyuhyun felt as though it was the right thing to step aside and let him get married. But Sungmin didn’t want this to happen, he wanted Kyuhyun to stay, because honestly, he still loved Kyuhyun as well. He fell back onto the bed and cried into the sheets, pulling Kyuhyun’s pillow closer and burying his face into the pillow, breathing in the last of Kyuhyun’s scent. “Kyuhyun, please, please come back,” he cried quietly, pressing the letter against his chest. “I love you.”

          Kyuhyun boarded the plane and sat down in his seat, looking out of the window calmly. He didn’t know that Sungmin was now crying for him, but there was nothing he could do now. This was for the best for everyone; now that Sungmin had probably read the letter. Kyuhyun watched the plane begin to move forward and take off as he let a tear slip down his cheek. He wiped the tear away and whispered “Goodbye Sungmin.”