One Christmas (2/3)

ILY: One Christmas

C H A P T E R

part two.

 


The days leading up to Christmas suddenly seemed to pass at a snail’s pace. Kyungsoo was often found staring out of the headquarters’ windows towards the sky. Baekhyun often sympathized with the younger boy. Both of them seemed drained, and their happiness flew off on the plane along with the departed assassins.

Kyungsoo often found himself on the rooftop of their headquarters just before bedtime thinking whether it was an appropriate time to call Jongin. Being in love with an assassin was hard, they often had to stay low for each other and that meant contacting one another was almost impossible. Jongin could be in action at anytime and one ring or vibration of a call or text message could give his position away.

At the sound of the metal door behind him open, Kyungsoo turned to smile. Baekhyun joined him again tonight.

“How are you putting up?” Baekhyun smiled softly in return. He made his way by the balcony, looking over across the sky.

“I should ask you the same, hyung.”

“I’m more used to this,” Baekhyun said, facing the world before them. “Chanyeol is pretty favored by Kris just like Jongin. They’re great and efficient fighters, so I’d watch Chanyeol leave a lot.” Kyungsoo smiled sadly.

“It must be hard for you huh?”

“Not really. Cause sometimes, it’s me that goes. As you’ve seen before, Zitao and I are experts at wall walking and getting within the enemies’ walls. I get called for those things specifically. And every time,” Kyungsoo watched Baekhyun smiled lovingly into the dark night and found a smile of his own tugging at the corners of his lips. “When I return, Chanyeol would be waiting. So I know, we’re both in this. It’s not just me waiting. We both are. He’s waiting to return and I’m waiting for his return

“Baek hyung, you just sounded like a sappy drama.” Kyungsoo grinned, his heart shaped lips pulling to its fullest.

“Gee, way to spoil the moment right?” The elder teasingly poked Kyungsoo’s side. “So your turn. How are you putting up?”

“All I can think is: I hope he returns safely.” The doe eyed boy stared to the sky again.

“You want to know why I don’t think like that?” Kyungsoo turned to Baekhyun questioning a silent 'why?'. “Because I believe in Chanyeol. They’re both magnificent fighters. Jongin’s even better. I know it must’ve scared you a year ago,” Kyungsoo gulped at the memories. “But that was only because there was a mistake in the assignment details. Jongin could’ve easily disposed all forty or fifty of them, if he had to; had they not been trained fighters. Besides, they have Kris, Sehun and Jongdae with them this time.” Baekhyun smiled without doubts. “Nothing bad can happen.” Patting Kyungsoo’s back, Baekhyun turned towards the doors, “Let’s head in. Don’t greet Jongin as a sick boy.” He teased.

Kyungsoo laughed. “Yeah, thanks Baek.”

~

Krispy Leader: We’re taking flight early tomorrow morning. You should expect us soon. Probably around 10am.

Christmas was in two days.

“Where are they?” Luhan grumbled in the cold. Everyone was gathered on the rooftop wrapped in full winter apparels, waiting for arrival of their leader and fellow assassins. Their private plane was said to land that morning. It was twelve in the afternoon now.

“Stop pacing Luhan!” Minseok scowled, he was practically yelling over the loud wind. “They’re probably just late!”

“Luhan ge,” Zitao began as he grabbed Luhan’s shoulder. This earned him an irritated glared, but Zitao countered with a stern expression of his own. “ Let’s go wait inside. It’s no use freezing our asses off out here. Let’s go inside.”

“Tao, what if something went wrong?”

“Stop being so discouraging!” Minseok cried. “They’re fine. They’re fine okay?” Minseok was shaking violently as he he said this. Kyungsoo’s brows furrowed, his eyes catching Baekhyun's. Minseok was scared. They could all tell. He was more scared than Luhan. The words he said sounded as if directed at himself rather than Luhan. Minseok was scared to the point he had to reassure himself out loud.. This, Luhan caught and immediately agreed to return inside.

“I’ll make us something to warm us up,” Kyungsoo called as he headed for the kitchen. Yixing stayed with Luhan and Minseok to calm both boys down. They sat in the living room.

“I’ll help.” Joonmyeon followed.

“It’s fine, Joonmyeon. I can do it.” Kyungsoo shook his head. “You look like a tornado slapped you in your face.”

The elder sheepishly smiled, “I guess I’m a bit worried myself huh?”

“Don’t.” Kyungsoo returned the smile along with a pat of encouragement on his back. “I’m sure they’re fine.”

Baekhyun’s words really did magic. Joonmyeon nodded awestruck by their chef’s sudden confidence and returned to the living with the others.

Awhile later, Baekhyun entered the kitchen with a grin spread on his lips. “You got our vice cheered up,” He commented.

“Really? Didn’t think your words would pass this far.”

“My words?” Baekhyun picked up one of the trays of drinks and headed back for the living room. Kyungsoo followed him with a trayful in his own hands.

“Yeah, I just told him not to worry.”

Baekhyun laughed. “Well that’s not my words exactly.”

~

Everyone was dazed and lost in their thoughts when Kyungsoo walked into the living room. He and Baekhyun quietly handed out the warm beverages receiving mumbles of thank you’s in return. The two then sat down themselves. Silence wrapped around each member. The heavy blanket of dejection fell on their shoulders as some attempted to drink their coffee and hot choco. No comments were shared. None had the energy to even complain. The assassins were all too drained to even think. Everyone seemed dead and Kyungsoo felt too pressured to lift the silence.

“I want bubble tea..” Luhan suddenly stated. His voice was barely a whisper but every word was heard clearly. Everyone knew what he was referring to. It was like a secret coding; except it wasn’t a secret at all. The assassins all knew what Luhan had meant when he said that- or rather who he meant. There was no one else in the headquarters that fed him bubble tea daily. And ever since that person left, Luhan hasn’t had a cup of bubble tea.

“I’ll make you a cup,” Kyungsoo offered.

“Thank you,” Luhan replied seconds off.

But just as Kyungsoo stood, Joonmyeon’s cell phone went off, signalling an incoming message.

Then everyone’s did.

All seven cell phones went off, shocking everyone in the room from their half dead state. Their phones rang nonstop as more notifications of messages poured in. They hurriedly set their cups down on the living room coffee table and dug in their pockets for their cell. It was a bit of a struggle considering they all had their thick coats on. No one had bothered to take off their winter coats when they came in. Well all but Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, who had to when they fixed the drinks.

Kyungsoo’s wide eyes scanned the illuminated screen, catching the names that was printed bold. When he looked up, everyone was foolishly grinning from ear to ear. His face did the same.

New message: ChenChen

New message: ChenChen

New message: ChenChen

New message: ChenChen

New message: ChenChen

He proceeded to open the messages.

ChenChen: Our Krispy leader told me to send this to you boring people. He said to send: “Our flight was delayed due to the weather.” He’s so emotionless. Did you guys go outside?! Man, it’s a tornado out there! You guys better not be worried or crying cause if we were in flight right now, we’d be dead! I’m talking about you Kim Minseok!! See you soon people! Tomorrow maybe.

ChenChen: Oh, by the way Kyungsoo, Jongin said “hi”. And then Chanyeol didn’t want to feel left out and had to pipe up and say: “Tell Baek, I said ‘hi’ too!”

ChenChen: Just for record, Baekhyun, your boyfriend here owes me a new eardrum.

ChenChen: And because I like Sehun, I’m sending this too: Luhan, could you buy Sehun some bubble tea when we get back?

ChenChen: No I don’t! I don’t like Sehun at all! He just stole my phone! So Luhan don’t get him anything okay?

~

The plane landed that night- or rather early morning. While the six other assassins and Kyungsoo were undoubtedly asleep by now, Kris reminded them to enter quietly and not to disturb them. Though he said it as if directed at Chanyeol. They entered their home like crooks breaking into someone else's. But since it was their house, they knew where not to step in case of creaking floorboards and where to walk to avoid running foot first into things or knocking over anything. The assassins successfully got to their rooms without waking anyone up. No sounds made. No one awoken.

~

By morning, Kyungsoo was the first up. He slipped out of his pajamas and easily into a loose tee that was obviously once Jongin's; before he outgrew them of course.

His was on to his next morning task as soon as he finished his daily hygienic routine. It was while he was making breakfast that a pair of sleepy arms wrapped around his waist. Kyungsoo jumped at the sudden touch, but greeted the latter nonetheless.

"Luhan you're up early today."

"What are you making?" His hyung asked resting his head on Kyungsoo's shoulder. "Is it bubble tea?"

"I'm making breakfast, not bubble tea." Kyungsoo laughed. "Go sit, or brush your teeth. You still look half asleep," he shoved the elder out of the kitchen. "I'll make bubble tea for you later and you can wake up the rest for me."

Luhan nodded as he wobbled towards the bathroom.

~

A while later as Kyungsoo was setting out the plates, the arms returned with a muffled grumble and still sleepy and limp as ever.

"Did you wash your face with cold water?" He got a shake of head in response pressed into his back. "Go wash your face so you'd wake up. Then, wake the others up okay?"

"I don't wanna," At the objection, Kyungsoo froze.

The whine wasn't Luhan's. Suddenly Kyungsoo was very conscious of the arms on his waist. He noticed the sun kissed skin contrasting the tee he was wearing. And how sharp the chin was rested on his shoulder. It wasn't Luhan's at all. Luhan's chin would be sharper. Kyungsoo wondered how sleepy he had been to fall asleep while making breakfast. But as Jongin spoke again, Kyungsoo couldn't make himself believe it was only a dream.

"What are you making? Does it have meat?" Kyungsoo hesitantly turned to face Jongin. Everything he had in his hands, before Jongin interrupted him, was gone.

"Am I dreaming?"

Jongin smiled. "Am I a dream to you?" The deep velvety morning voice filled his ears. Kyungsoo cheekily grinned.

"Maybe?"



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Please excuse any typos or grammatic errors, I haven't gotten around to proofreading this yet. I'm so drained from writting this chapter. I've spent almost three hours being brain dead yesterday and when I fina/lly got an idea I realized the epilouge got too complex. So now... it's kind of like a sequel..? Sorry, I lack the ability of organizing and planning ahead ^^;; Now, I'll go on and start typing the final part (and try not to get writer's block on the way ;u;).
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)