One Christmas (1/3)

ILY: One Christmas

C H A P T E R

part one.

 


Bang! Names spilled from every moving soul in the room. Voices echoed along the walls along with the sound gunshot.

Jongin’s eyes widened, the healing gash on his left eye began to bleed again as the scab was pulled. His brows shot up and words of opposition ripped through his throat.

“No!”

Kyungsoo’s heart froze. He couldn’t feel it pounding. Fear had stopped his breath. Jongin’s shrill cry was the thing he heard.

~

“Hey, Jongin? You okay?” Chanyeol patted his friend’s arm worriedly with brows turned up as they came out of the meeting room. The said boy was dazing out every other second and obviously out of it; his mind may be deep in thought but most definitely not on the topic about the discussed techniques and strategies.

The younger male hummed in response. “Yeah, just thinking about something.”

It has been a year.

“About? You’re not thinking about that again right?” Chanyeol asked with a sad grin.

“Yeah.. I was,” Jongin smiled sheepishly and unconsciously itched at the end of his hair.

“Stop thinking about it! You’ll be fine.” Chanyeol patted his back softly before they joined the rest of the assassins. Baekhyun running over to steal Chanyeol from the youngest, oblivious to Jongin’s stress.

“Easier said than done…” Jongin mumbled as he followed behind the couple. “You’ve already planned your gifts.”

~

Jongin, with the last ounce of his energy, jumped forward. His body was still strapped to the metal chair as he lounged forward. His frame collided with Kyungsoo’s small body, shoving him away just as the bullet passed. Missing by barely millimeters, the hanging shreds of Jongin’s cloths was ripped away with the bullet charging by.

The sound of metal crashed into Kyungsoo’s ears, yet despite that he heard nothing but the sounds of Jongin’s harsh breathing. He was alive. He was breathing. Jongin’s okay. Tears sprang into his eyes as relief forced his heart to pound. He immediately wrapped his arms around Jongin, not minding at all the cold metal of the chair that was crushing his legs.

Jongin was okay.

“Hyung…” Jongin breathed into Kyungsoo’s ear. “You’re an idiot.” The said boy broke into a smile and happy tears rolled. I know. Jongin’s tears wetted Kyungsoo’s face and vise versa as throaty laughs filled the cement walls.

“Kris..” Joonmyeon breathed. “How the hell..?”

“I’m the head for a reason you know?” The said male smirked as he slid the pistol into his gun holster.

“Whoa!!” Jongdae exclaimed with wide eyes as he stepped up beside his commander. “I didn’t even see that guy over there!”

Zitao stepped up cautiously eying the collapsed body on the opposing side of the room. “He’s dead right?”

“He better be,” Kris growled. “I aimed for his head.”

“And you do realize that he’s at least 20 meters away right?” Yixing referred to Minseok’s blueprint.

“My shot range is good okay? He’s done,” Kris huffed with a slight hint of disbelief. “Stop doubting you leader geez!”

“We’re weren’t doubting; just being a good, cautious assassin.” Joonmyeon rolled his eyes.

“So um.. Are we suppose to stand here and watch those two cry over each other now or what..?” Sehun whispered to Chanyeol.

The taller male nudged the maknae. “We should get going though. Before these jerks,”Chanyeol stated with a grit of his teeth as he eyed the fallen bodies, “Thinking they should get up and pick more losing fights.”

“And Kai needs medical treatment,” Yixing said as he headed towards the exit. “Let’s get moving.”

“Alright, let’s go. Chen, take Sehun with you and get the love birds. Luhan and Baekhyun help Lay with end medical stuff.” Kris commanded as he turned for the exit himself. The assassins did as commanded without complaints to grab Kyungsoo and Jongin, then followed.

Though, Sehun complained about Jongin’s blood coating his clothes an ugly pattern of red on the way home.

~

It was now Christmas season, practically a year since the incident. Jongin’s injuries, which included a few broken bones, simple flesh cuts, and dark bruises, healed barely before spring. But then, he caught a fever, which Kyungsoo spent every possible second aiding him back to full health.

Jongin’s fever lasted two long days, but he was back up and healthy in no time. He went on missions and assignments as he did before. Everything was seemingly back to normal; though, with a few changes in their lives. The assassins were more precautious now and prepared for any situation thought possible. Thus, the monthly assassin meetings about strategies and attack techniques, credit to Joonmyeon’s genius brain. Another unmissable change was with Kyungsoo.

He moved into the headquarters, living with the group of assassins, almost a month or two after Jongin’s recovery. It was found more convenient for him to see and support Jongin whenever necessary. Especially after learning that Jongin was in fact the only assassin that went home, while the others treated the headquarters as home, Kyungsoo felt guilty of tiring his boyfriend. The doe eyed boy was now the chef that fed the eleven assassins.

The headquarters was renovated by their architect, otherwise, Minseok. It now had twelve bedrooms fixed for use but the last was rarely ever used. Jongin often kidnapped their chef for bedtime cuddling.

“Hey Kai hyung!”

The tanned male turned towards the voice of his only dongsaeng in the headquarters. “Yeah?”

“You are the worst assassin! I’ve called you over ten times!” Sehun complained completely annoyed; he despise being ignored. It should always be the other way around!

“Sorry,” Jongin grinned sheepishly and flashed his pearly white. “What’s up?”

“Oh right! Trying to get you out of your world almost made me forget what I came to ask you for,” Sehun pouted like a little kid he was.

The elder male rolled his eyes. “Just tell me already.”

“Okay,” Sehun flushed. “It’s a bit embarrassing.. What should I get for Luhan hyung for Christmas?”

“I don’t know.” With a shrug, Jongin continued “Why are you asking me? Shouldn’t you ask Yixing hyung or something?”

“I don’t what to.” Sehun deadpanned.

“Why? They’re best friends, Yixing would know what gift to suggest.”

“And that’s probably why I didn’t ask? Kai just suggest me something!”

Jongin grinned teasingly. “Aww, is our maknae jealous?”

“No!” Sehun violently opposed. “Why would I be? It doesn’t matter, just help me choose something.”

Jongin sighed. “He wouldn’t really care you know? Besides it’s the thought that counts right?” Hmm, that sounded familiar. Oh right; that was the same thing that Chanyeol had said to him that morning. “Nevermind, I get how hard it is to get the right gift.” Sehun rolled his eyes as he waited. “Why don’t you just get him ten days worth of bubble tea?”

“Are you stupid? That’s the dumbest suggestion! I give hyung a cup everyday anyway!” Sehun grumbled. “What was I thinking when I asked you?” He asked himself, ignoring Jongin’s presence as he stormed off.

The latter shrugged Sehun's comment off and returned to his thoughts.

Hmm, what does Kyungsoo like?

~

Christmas was arriving faster than ever. The days seemed shortened and Jongin still hasn’t decided the right gift for Kyungsoo. The smaller boy on the other hand was oblivious to Jongin’s struggles. He was just happy. The warm embraces he’d missed for three years returned to him. The kissed that they shared every night, the smiles Jongin gave him whenever Kyungsoo caught him staring, even Jongin’s sleepy morning hair and puffy eyes; they all returned to him. The three years without Jongin’s true presence seemed like ages ago. All that mattered to Kyungsoo was that they were together now. If he could, he’d erase those three years away. He would live as if none of it had happened; as if he had always known Jongin’s secret assassin life.

It has been a year. A year since he found out his beloved, almost innocent, Jongin killed. Yet living under the same roof shared among eleven assassins, he couldn’t tell they killed. They didn’t come home reeking of the bloody metallic stench. Nor were they ever covered in blood; and if any, those clothes were disposed. They came home in their normal civilian clothes. Sometimes even street clothes you’d wear out casually.

The assassins, when off work, were like normal people. Normal friends who hung out and went to bars or sang their hearts out in karaoke rooms. They were normal boys that loved and played with their family and friends. They didn’t have any traces of a killer- nor anything off that easily labeled them as an assassin. But that was probably what they were trained for; to be so normal.

~

“Kai,” Kris called from his chair, catching Jongin’s attention. Joonmyeon gave their head a disapproving glare, which Kris ignored but undoubtedly saw. Hesitantly, he continued with Jongin’s full attention on him and Joonmyeon’s glare shooting spears, “There’s a new project I’m in need of you to attend.”

“‘In need’? Kris, please.” Joonmyeon scoffed. “There you go favoring again.”

“I am not! I assigned Chanyeol, Sehun and Chen on this assignment too,” Each assassin, as their names were mentioned, turned to one another with obvious confusion. “It’s not like I’m not going too.” Kris grumbled.

“It’s Christmas soon, Kris. I’m sure they’d prefer to be with their family or friends.” Joonmyeon argued. The rest in the meeting room remained quiet as they watched their head and vice argue. “I can go with you if you need someone to watch your back, but don’t go pulling them from their plans.”

“I’m sure they would too. But this is an important assignment. And Suho, by no offense, you’re better with brains and tactics, not exactly the action.” Kris sighed. “There’s at least two weeks till Christmas; we can finish this assignment by then.”

“Kris,” Luhan dared to call out, interrupting Suho’s turn to speak. “What exactly is this mission? If it’s such an important assignment, wouldn’t it be better if we all went and return faster?”

“It’s not that simple, Luhan. You should know that. We need men available in case of sudden missions; that’s another reason why Suho, you must stay at the headquarters.”

“We’ll be away?” Sehun asked, not completely surprised but definitely not expected either.

“Well, yes. This mission is in China. Their headquarters there is short on men for this operation.” Kris explained. “That’s why I need a few of the best.”

Joonmyeon sighed. “There’s no other choice then.. If you can make it back before Christmas- I hope you do.” Joonmyeon was fully aware of Jongin’s harsh expression, and no doubt, he was thinking about Kyungsoo. “Should Lay go on this assignment with you?”

“Their headquarters should have an aid. And who’d aid you if one was injured when we’re away?”

“I’ve taught Baekhyun all of the basics.” Yixing looked at the said boy encouragingly. “We’ll be fine even without me here.”

“But that’s practically half of us.” Kris pinched the bridge of his nose, he didn’t like that thought. “I can’t have half of my assassins out of the headquarters at the same time. Besides Baekhyun might be needed for a mission, so Lay stays.”

“Okay, then evaluate who’s on this mission and their positions. Give them the details.” Joonmyeon concluded. “And Kris?” Kris hummed in response. “Make sure you all come back before Christmas.”

“Will do.” Kris promised.

A mission outside of Korea.. Jongin didn’t know how long he’d be away, but he sure hoped he’d return in time for Kyungsoo on Christmas.

Kris proceeded with the assignment details.

“We’re leaving tomorrow morning,” Kris dismissed. “Be ready.”



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Thank you for reading so much so far. I sincerely appologize for being so disorganized. I wasn't expecting relatives visiting me this year and the length of this chapter bonus was definitely not planned. I honestly thought I could finish this as a simple 700 or 800 word dramble but it has exceeded 4000 words already, using 6 almost 7 pages with size 10 font. I hope I can consecutively update the rest of this one-shot within this Christmas week. Fighting!!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)