Final.

Beyond the Neverending Sky

A tall, attractive figure exited the classroom, slamming the door shut as his fingers lingered on the slip of paper in his hands. Bolded words, Tutor, screamed off the white page, just as he bolted down the hallways towards the gymnasium. Oh Sehun was welcomed to the sight of his best mates playing an intense game of basketball in the gym. It wreaked of sweat and musky cologne, and the array of screaming girls did not go unnoticed. Sehun smirked, just as half of the girls in the audience shrieked with joy. This is what he lived for. Carelessly throwing away the sheet, he hurried to the center of the court and managed to snag the ball from Luhan's grasps, dribbling it down to the net. Shrills of pure excitement bounced off of the walls, and a round of applause exuded. Swish, the ball fell in effortlessly. Panting, his friends rushed over to him to congratulate, the crowd of girls piled in, and Sehun basked in the glory.

Meanwhile, a wide girl with her science textbooks neatly tucked into her arms entered. She looked around, and noticed the slip of paper on the floor. Picking it up, she scanned through the words and waved the sheet in the air, calling for Sehun. It was eerie how the ruckus turned into complete silence. To Sehun's horror, the chubby girl trudged her way over, and handed him the object that he so badly wanted to avoid. He wanted to shout at the girl for ruining his shining moment, however, his astronomy teacher peaked through the double doors of the gym, and eyed Sehun. At the sight of the teacher, everyone dispersed, rushing to get their belongings, leaving only Sehun and the girl alone. Quietly, Sehun brushed past the girl, not giving her a second glance. While she on the other hand, followed him mutely.

Sumin was her name, his tutor that is. She was a lot shorter than him, her brown hair framed her rounded, rosy cheeks, and her sweater covered her plump figure. Rolling his eyes, he opened his textbook, and began examining the diagrams and the words. When his mind could not process any more, he groaned and leaned back on his chair. To his surprise, Sumin was hunched over, and seemed as if she was peering over his shoulder. Scowling, he had asked her what she was doing. With a bright smile dancing on her features, her eyes like crescents, she responded with a simple phrase.

"I'm just watching over you."

He found it bizarre. Whenever he scribbled something incorrectly on the page, she would politely point out the mistake. Running her fingers over his notebook sheets and handwriting a few sentences to fill in any missing information, Sehun grew restless. He wanted to be anywhere but here, but Mr. Kim, the astronomy teacher, sat in front of the library, his eyes focused on his book. Occasionally he would look over the pages to peer over the two, then return back to his novel. It was a painful experience for Sehun, and it made him hungry. 

They both declared an eating break, and pulled out whatever food they had packed. Sehun's eyes widened as Sumin rummaged out some rice with sauteed meat, a chocolate bar and a container of chocolate milk. Happily, she dug in without a word, the grin on her face only growing after each bite. He had pulled out his after school snack, a sandwich and a flan pudding in a clear container. Sumin stared at the gelatin treat with eyes of excitement.

"Are you going to eat that?"

She pointed to the plastic compartment. Sehun nodded, slightly putting the flan pudding to the side. Disappointment washed over her face, and long after the two finished eating, they resumed back into reviewing the material. Just as the two were departing, Mr. Kim had mentioned that they will be meeting up twice a week at the library, until Sehun's grade rises. Reciting some constellations in her head, Sumin waved goodbye to Sehun and skipped her way towards her mother's car. Odd, was the only word Sehun would use to describe her. Wanting to shake off the rest of the night, Sehun stepped into his car and with a twist of his keys, his engine roared to life and he was on his way home.

The week passed by within a blur, and every single time they stopped to have a break, Sumin would pull out all of these extravagant dishes that one could only dream of. Yet, all she ever wanted was Sehun's flan pudding that he got everyday. Same time, same spot, at the back corner of the library, bottoms nestled in bean bag chairs, and the occasional sweep of the glances over the shoulder from Sumin. Eventually, Sehun got used to the fact that Sumin liked looking over his shoulder and observing his every movement. The two grew a connection, turns out Sehun, for once in his life, was able to actually have a full on conversation with a girl, and not those high-pitched squeaks he gets from in the hallways. He genuinely enjoyed their chats.

Midterms were rolling around, just on the borderline of Christmas time and Sehun was stressing. He had all of his notes sprawled across the table, and his text book was wide open. Flipping through the parchments of paper, he let out a groan and threw his pencil across the room. The lamp that illuminated the room shone a shadow over his distressed self, and Sehun rose his head to see Sumin, with her usual pretty smile, standing right in front of him. Together, Sumin lead them to the top of the school building, and ushered Sehun to come join her by the railing.

The late night breeze was cool, bristles of wind swayed their hairs side to side, and Sumin took a step up onto the ledge. Cupping her palms around , she let out a yell. Sehun stared at her in bewilderment, yet his ears managed to pick up her speech. 

"I want to be skinny!"

The sounds of the busy street below them mellowed out, and Sumin twirled on her heels. She broke out into another wide smile and extended her hand over to him. Sehun took her hand reluctantly, and joined her. He mimicked her actions, yelling at the top of his lungs.

"I want to pass my astronomy midterm!"

Sumin emitted a laugh and rested her palm on his shoulder. She had mentioned to him that when she was younger, she would yell at the top of her balcony what she wanted, and she ended up getting it with the courtesy of her parents hearing her. With a few words of encouragement, Sehun and Sumin reviewed every single section of the textbook, and Sehun even managed to assist Sumin on her mathematics homework. By the time they finished, Sehun drove Sumin home. As they rolled up in front of her house, she thanked him real quickly before scurrying off inside. 

The day after the exam, Sehun was in the midst of celebrating with his best friends. They all gave him congratulatory fist pumps and shoulder pats. Luhan and Baekhyun accompanied him as he made his way towards Sumin's locker. To his dismay, her locker was scribbled on. Phrases such as, "Tramp", "" and other incoherent words made Sehun's blood boil. He was about to approach the area, when he saw Sumin arriving. She coughed lightly while she held a bucket tightly in her hands. Dropping to her knees, she began to scrub the metal. Unable to withstand the sight, Sehun dropped to his knees and aided her. Mumbling a sincere thank you, Sumin rose, rubbing away at the vandalized wall. Luhan and Baekhyun joined in, taking a sponge from inside the bucket and cleansed with them.

Praising Sehun, Luhan and Baekhyun for all of their hard work, Sumin pulled out three lunch boxes that she prepared. She had mentioned that she made too much food, forgetting the fact that her friend had left on vacation early, but did not have anyone to share it with. She was thrilled to let them try her cooking, and was in pure happiness when their faces lit up. After they cleaned all of the dishes, all of them ended up just talking before Sumin and Sehun had to start their session.

The last day of school before winter break rolled around, and Sumin's harassment had been decreasing, thanks to the help of Sehun and his pals. As she twirled the dial of her locker, her eyes caught the sight of a gelatin dessert in a clear container. Pulling it into her hands, she saw the note with some messy handwriting on it. She read it aloud.

"I wasn't going to eat this flan pudding. Enjoy it. Merry Christmas, Sumin. From, Sehun."

An unbearable grin spread on her delicate features, and that night, she and Sehun messaged each other the entire night. At that moment, Sumin's heart fluttered with excitement, as the two continued their endless conversation. She let out a round of coughs, rubbing her chest. After finishing the flan pudding while trying to savor every bite, she fell asleep.

Winter break zoomed by, and before Sehun and Sumin both knew it, school had started back up. However, it had been a couple of weeks since Sumin had come to class, and she did not attend their study lessons. After playing a couple of scrimmages of basketball with his chums, he decided to give Sumin a visit. A pit in his stomach gave him an uneasy feeling, and his worriedness increased. When he pulled up to the front of Sumin's house, he debated on whether he should go in or not. A shadow passed by her bedroom window, and Sehun mustered up all of the courage he had, and headed towards the front door. Never in his life was he as nervous as he was now, not even for any basketball match, or when he visited one of his many girlfriend's houses. It was from then on that he realized that his heart was beating heavily against his chest.

A middle aged woman answered the door, and the lady had a huge smile on her face. A pang of familiarity surged through Sehun, and he returned the action. Her mother welcomed him in, and the two talked about how him and Sumin met. As he stood in front of Sumin's bedroom door, he knocked gently. A small voice ushered Sehun to enter, and soon after his eyes landed on what used to be the wide girl, his jaw dropped slightly.

Leaning against the pillow was not the Sumin he recognized. Her smile was still the same, but it lacked the little twinkle in her eyes, and her once perky cheeks, sunk heavily into her face. Her arms were much smaller, as well as her legs. She let out a whooping cough, looking ever so frail. His heart sank, and he stood frozen. All of those times when he heard her cough, and all those times when she brushed it off as if it was just a fever, the discovery hit him like a ton of bricks.

She was suffering from lung cancer.

Swallowing a hard lump in his throat, he realized why she had eaten all of that good food when they had first met.

Slowly, Sehun made his way towards her. Delicately slipping his palm underneath hers, he sensed the coldness. All night, Sehun and her talked. Sehun did most of the talking, and occasionally wiped the blood that would reach the corners of after she coughed. Her voice was hoarse, and croaky. They chatted about all of the constellations and stars in the sky. That exact same night, Sehun had asked Sumin to prom with him, while showing her the star he had arranged to be named after her. Ecstatic, she agreed within a second.

Weeks flew by, and Sehun finally had permission to Sumin to a dress shop where they could find the perfect gown for her. Hearing her small yelps and grunts of frustration made him laugh. Just as she finished getting ready, the curtain was pushed to the side and she emerged in a midnight blue gown. It was strapless, and decorated with gems, creating intricate designs. It fit her perfectly, and was actually the smallest size they had. Twirling around in the the puffed up dress, she stared at herself in the mirror, a bitter smile appeared.

"You know, I've always wanted to be skinny. But now that I am, I don't really like it."

He smiled softly and approached her, sweeping her hand into his own. Sehun stared at the mirror, "You'll always be beautiful. Skinny or fat."

By the time the year end prom rolled around, Sumin had to be moved into the hospital. Her fever had heightened, and her weight was maintaining due to her love of food. However her coughing was becoming extreme, and blood continued to gush out. Sehun was allowed to take Sumin to prom, and the couple took many pictures before heading into a limousine towards the high school. The whole building was decorated with party lights, streamers and a banner that welcomed them. Inside, there was a photo booth section, and a dj who, was revving up all of the latest hits.

Everyone had heard about Sumin's condition, and many of the teacher chaperons kept a stern eye on her health. The night was filled with laughter, dancing, music and food. As Sehun and Sumin were slow dancing, he noticed how weak and tired she looked. Before midnight struck, Sehun had escorted Sumin back to the hospital. They both waved at Sehun's friends, and arrived in a matter of twenty minutes.

Tucking her into the bed, he attached an IV bag to her hand. Softly, he pressed a kiss to her forehead, and brushed a few strands to the side. Her eyes were drooping, but she managed to mutter a goodnight and a thank you before drifting off into her slumber. Exhausted himself, Sehun lied down on the uncomfortable sofa near the window. The smell of medication accompanied with the pure white walls and tiles on the floor made him ache. How he wish he could stop Sumin's suffering. With that thought plaguing his mind, sleep came to him easier than he thought.

The next morning, he was welcomed with a blanket sprawled over his curled up figure. A pillow was neatly nestled under his head, and he sat up, seeing a note on the side of the counter. Scanning through it, he realized that Sumin's parents had came to visit, and was worried about his health. Besides the letter, there was an energy drink. Downing it in one go, Sehun waved goodbye to Sumin's sleeping form and headed home to get ready for school.

That evening, Sumin's parents had called Sehun in the midst of his astronomy homework. Rushing towards the hospital, he entered Sumin's room as quietly as possible. Perched upright was Sumin, and she was staring out the large window, the midnight sky creating a canvas with decorative stars glowing millions of light years away. Turning around after hearing the sound of the door click, Sumin's usual smile played on her lips. Sehun headed towards the wheelchair harboring in the corner and rolled it towards her.

"Ride for one?"

She nodded and with Sehun's help, she slipped into the wheelchair with ease. A travel sized IV bag, attached to her wrist followed along as Sehun wheeled Sumin towards the elevator. Heading up towards the rooftop, the summer breeze was warm, almost welcoming. Although Sumin's breaths were short lived, she closed her eyes and inhaled and exhaled deeply. The hustle and bustle of the streets below could be heard, but the two of them did not mind. Pulling up a metallic chair, Sehun parked her close to the railing before settling down onto the seat. Sumin pointed towards a bright star, and asked if it was the one Sehun had purchased. He nodded and she let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank goodness, I thought I was staring at the wrong one this entire time."

He laughed softly, and stretched. When he leaned his head back, Sehun heard a rustling beside him. Averting his attention back onto the frail girl, his eyes widened to find her on the edge of the railing, holding onto the metal bars for dear life. Immediately, Sehun bolted towards her, wrapping his arm securely around her waist as if he was afraid she was going to fall over. He warned her about the stability of her legs, and how dangerous it was for her to be up here.

"Please Sehun, just this once."

Her voice was croaky, but he just merely sighed and nodded obediently. To his surprise, she cupped her hands around and he could feel all of her energy be used up in the single phrase.

"I love you, Oh Sehun!"

A bright smile rose on his face, and with his free hand, he shielded his mouth from the wind and yelled in response.

"I love you too, Lee Sumin!"

Added with a kiss on the cheek, Sumin's smile doubled in size, as well as Sehun's. The night continued with such bliss, and with a steal of several kisses. Sehun just held Sumin in his arms the entire time, not wanting to let the poor girl escape through his finger tips. A few days after that, Sumin passed away. The cancer had spread through her lungs into her other organs at an increasing rate.

The night of the funeral, Sehun relaxed into his recliner, tie undone, and hair in a disheveled mess. The balcony remained but a memory to him, and the summer breeze held no warmth. In his right hand, he held a clear container full of flan pudding, and in his left, a spoon. Looking up into the sky whilst eating the dessert, a soft smile crept onto his attractive features. He held the utensil up towards the closest twinkle. Sumin's star seemed to shine even brighter that night.

"Still watching over me, huh?" He nibbled on the pudding, before swallowing. "You always had a habit of doing that."