Catching You

Fallen (For You)

You slammed your textbook closed and groaned in frustration. Studying was not your thing but unfortunately, you really needed it. You can’t afford to fail your finals; you have borderline A’s in half of your classes and getting even a B on your finals would mean a letter drop in your grade.

 

‘Why do I try so hard?’ you sighed, resting your head on your textbook. You were slowly falling asleep until you heard knocking on your door. You groaned, a little annoyed because you were drowsy and god-knows-who decided to wake you up. You got up from your chair, a little too fast as you accidentally slammed your knee against your table. You suppressed the profanity that threatened to spill out of your mouth as you made your way to your bedroom door.

 

“Who is— oh hi,” you were surprised at who was at your door.

 

“Yeah, hi. What were you doing? I was knocking on your door for awhile and I was going to barge in but I figured I shouldn’t invade a girl’s privacy.”

 

“I was studying, but that didn’t work out very well.”

 

“Clearly it didn’t work out, your books aren’t even open.”

 

“Shut up. Why’d you come over?” Okay, you weren’t that surprised that Minseok came over. He lives on the same block and heck, you guys were friends since diaper days. He’s practically your long lost brother— he even has spare keys to your house.

 

“I can’t come over without a reason?”

 

“No— I mean— nevermind. Sorry. I think I’m just too stressed these days,” you sighed.

 

“You look horrible. You haven’t been getting enough sleep these days, haven’t you? At least tell me you’ve been eating properly,” Minseok says, eyeing you from head to toe and you flush because he’s never looked at you like that before.

 

“Am I that easy to read?” you pouted.

 

“I’ve known you for literally my entire life, of course I can read you. Anyways, I brought some snacks but I think it’d be better if I just cooked you a meal.”

 

“My parents have been gone for the past week so I don’t think there’s much in the fridge to work with..”

 

“So that’s why you haven’t been eating. It’s alright, we can go grocery shopping then. I don’t think your parents would want their precious little girl to starve,” he teased, giving you a smirk.

 

“Shut up,” you gave him light punches, embarrassed by his choice of words.

 

He chuckled as you guys left for the grocery store.

 

-

 

When you returned, Minseok got to work right away. You followed him around the kitchen, gawking at his amazing culinary skills. It’s not like you’ve never seen him cook before, but he doesn’t cook for you very often so you’re left in awe each time you get to watch.

 

Soon, he finished cooking and prepared two dishes, one for each of you. He sat and stared as you took your first bite.

 

“How is it?” he asked, eager for your input.

 

“It’s delicious,” you answer, mouth full with his amazing cooking.

 

You were so focused on eating that you didn’t notice that his plate stayed untouched. When you finally finished eating, you looked up, taken aback by Minseok’s gaze.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“You haven’t touched your food..”

 

“Oh.”  

 

“Seriously Minseok, you’re scaring me.”

 

“Sorry. I was thinking,” he responds, still lost in his thoughts.  

 

“About?”

 

“You.”  

 

“What about me?” you ask, genuinely curious of how you could ever be so interesting.

 

“Everything about you!” he exclaims, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

 

“That’s vague.”

 

“It’s just that I— we’ve known each other for years and we’ve been through lots of things together and I know everything about you and I’m practically a brother and well— I’m sorry I’m kind of rambling right now but.. what do you see me as?”

 

You weren’t expecting this to happen. What do you see him as? You’ve never really thought about this before. You sat there, silently trying to mull over the question. You must have been thinking for a really long time because Minseok interrupted your thoughts.

 

“I’m sorry, you don’t have to answer that. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable..”

 

“Oh! It’s not like that, it’s just that I’ve never really thought about that..”

 

“Oh,” he says, failing to hide his disappointment and you can’t help but feel guilty.

 

You were confused with your feelings. Growing up, he was always a brother to you, but now, you felt differently. But what is the difference? You took a good look at him, studying his profile.

 

Oh.

 

He’s not the same little boy that used to pull your hair and call you names. No, little Minseokie grew up. He’s a lot taller now, baby fat gone, and his shoulders much more broader. He’s really kind to you, although you don’t know when that started and he’s such a gentleman, never failing to showcase his chivalry. Maybe, just maybe, you were starting to fall for him, but this sudden revelation terrified you.

 

What if that isn’t the answer he was looking for?

 

“Hey, I’m going to go now..”

 

“NO!” you shouted. ‘I have to do this.’

 

“No?”

 

“About your question..”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I— I don’t see you as a brother but I— I think I— you’re more than a brother.”

 

“I think you’re the vague one now,” he teases and you’re relieved because the tension is gone.

 

“I don’t know.. I think I might be falling for you.”

 

There. You did it.

 

“Then I guess there’s no choice but for me to catch you? But I think there’s a slight problem.”

 

“That is..”

 

“I think I’ve already fallen for you.”

 

“Oh,” you mumble, unsure of how to respond.

 

“But that’s okay, we can just help each other up.”

 

“Okay..”

 

“Come on, that was supposed to be a joke. I’m asking you to be my girlfriend.”

 

You stood, not knowing how to answer, and merely gave a nod.

 

Yes. Of course.

 

And with that he picked you up and spinned you around, smiling from ear to ear.

 

If falling always felt this great, then maybe you’d fall everyday.

 


happy early birthday to you.