Chapter 3

Awkwardly Arranged

 

Staying true to what they had agreed upon, they went to the Lotte World theme park for their next date. After consuming some courage in the form of sugar, sugar and more sugar, they were all hyped up, bouncing along the little mini pathway towards the first ride. Daesung was more natural than he had been in the restaurant setting, but he could feel he was holding back. Maybe because of what he had said at the end of last date. But all he had done was speak the truth, that way Daesung wouldn't get his hopes up, falling flat on his face when he would inform him that there would be no wedding. Seungri sighed. He would probably get hurt though, it was inevitable. His stomach grumbled, giving him slight indigestion. He shouldn't have eaten all that sugar.

 

“The Drop Tower!? That's what you want to start with?!?” Daesung exclaimed in disbelief, his face painted in the colors of fear. “Yeah! What are you, chicken?” he , doing the chicken dance. “Am not!” Daesung protested, but his face was frozen. They joined the luckily not so long line, watching as the circle of seats was hoisted higher and higher up the tower pole. Daesung had turned white. “Seungri-sshi, I.. I don't think I can do this..” his voice trembled, along with his legs. “Don't worry, I'll protect you.” Seungri proclaimed with confidence, adjusting his clothes coolly. Daesung swallowed, biting his lip nervously as they listened to the screams of the people as they dropped. Seungri giggled in anticipation. This was going to be epic.

Soon it became their turn, strapping themselves into their seats, side by side. As they left the ground, Seungri's confidence left as well, a knot developing in his stomach. By the time they reached the top, Seungri was freaking out. Feeling his shoeless feet dangling in the air as the wind played with his toes did nothing but convince him of his imminent death.

“Wow! Look at the view! Amazing!” Daesung shouted joyfully, looking like he was having the time of his life. How was he not dreading what was to come? Was he stupid enough to think they would survive this? There were so many things that could go wrong, so many different scenarios, all ending in a horrible bloodbath.

When he didn't say anything, Daesung looked in his direction. He tried to hide his anxiety, unsuccessfully. Daesung smiled softly and slid his warm hand into his, weaving their fingers together, holding on tight. Seungri's stomach turned into a swarm of butterflies, doing nothing to soothe his already strung out nerves. The weightlessness was doing a number on his insides.

 

He was alive. He couldn't believe it. He almost fell as they exited the area, his legs wobbling, barely managing to hold him upright. “That was fun!” Daesung screeched, his face emitting sunshine. “Heh.. yeah..” he stuttered, not feeling all that great. “So, what's next?” Daesung asked, bouncing up and down in excitement. He had created a monster. “Oh, hey, let's take a ride with the mini-train.” he suggested without conviction. It wasn't really all that much fun, but then he would get a chance to rest his legs a bit and recuperate. “Mhh... yeah, alright.” Daesung shrugged, not that impressed with the idea, but going along with it anyway.

 

“Sooo.. that was kind of boring.” Daesung snorted as they got off the train. He wasn't lying, it had been uneventful and awkward, but Seungri was at least back to his old self. “Oh! The Haunted House!” Seungri pointed as he changed directions, heading for the line, Daesung right on his heels. “Do you think it's going to be scary?” Daesung wondered. “I sure hope so, although it's pretty hard to scare me, you know. Nerves of steel, that's me.” Seungri bragged, cockily pointing at himself. A tiny smile tickled Daesung's lips but he didn't say anything.

 

In the beginning it was extremely dark, so dark that it was impossible to see your own hand even if you held it up right in front of your eyes. As the door closed, and thus banishing all light from the space in which they found themselves, he could feel Daesung latching on to him. He snorted quietly. “Aigooo, don't be scared, Seungri oppa will take care of you.” he said in an obnoxious tone, clearly meant as a joke, but Daesung didn't call him on it. Was he really that scared? It was only darkness. And whatever they would encounter, it was all manmade, nothing to be afraid of.

He had to practically drag Daesung along, he was that reluctant to go any further, tightening his grip on his upper arm to the point that it started to hurt. It was all basic stuff, puppets in the form of ghosts and skeletons, scary lights and ominous sounds. Seungri walked through it all with his blood pressure as stable as a sleeping baby's. Daesung on the other hand jumped at the slightest movement, screaming so loudly that Seungri's ears were starting to ring. That boy sure had a healthy set of lungs, that was for sure. And at one point, when an especially gruesome figure popped out right in front of them, Daesung actually tried to jump into his arms. “Dude, I'm not going to carry you.” Seungri chuckled incredulously.

With Daesung whimpering, having had more than his fill of scares for the day, they sped up, trying to find the way out. Just when Seungri thought it was all over, the exit in sight, a pair of real people dressed up in costume jumped out behind them and touched their shoulders. That was the grain that tipped the scale. Seungri screamed at the top of his lungs, Daesung joining him, forming a scream duet as they ran outside like the devil was on their heels, not stopping until they were far far away. Both shaking from the shock.

 

Seungri had had enough for one day, but Daesung refused to end the day on such a low note. He said it would give him nightmares if they didn't do something to get his mind off it, so they decided on one last rollercoaster ride. And what a brilliant decision it was. After all they had been through, neither of them was scared anymore, thoroughly enjoying the thrill of the ride, screaming and laughing together, having a blast. And on that happy note they called it a day.

 

On the way home Seungri got to thinking. Daesung was a pretty decent guy, he thought. He was polite and well mannered, yet not so much that he couldn't let loose and have fun. He had one of the most beautiful smiles he had ever seen, and his laugh had a way of tickling your gut so there was no way not to laugh with him. He had this way of making the mood brighter, spreading a contagious feeling of warm sweetness. But. Why was it always so awkward between them?

 

For the following date, Seungri surprised him by taking him to the Doraemon museum. He had wanted to do something for him, to try and repay him some of that sunshine he had lent him last time. As he suspected, it was a total hit. Daesung jumped for joy, his smile so big that it didn't even fit on his face anymore. Instead it danced all over the place, leaping from corner to corner, spreading his happiness around.

 

The whole trip went by in a haze for Seungri. The moment they had entered the museum, Daesung had gone into overdrive, pulling him around, devouring everything there was to see with the speed and energy of a lightning. He had given him an acute cuteness attack with his childlike excitement, bursting to share with him his love for Doraemon. And that was a whole lot of love, Seungri had found out. He smiled to himself. That silly boy.

 

When he finally arrived home, he realized that he hadn't checked his phone once, not once the entire day. He had five missed calls, one from Youngbae and four from his mother. Youngbae would have to wait. His mom picked up on the first ring, dying to know all the details. “So, when are you seeing him next? You are going to the next meeting right? You won't blow it off, will you? You remember our deal, don't you?” she rambled on, not pausing for long enough to give him a chance to answer any of the billions of questions she was throwing at him.

 

As he assured his mother he would honor their contract, he realized he had stopped dreading it. Somewhere between the crazy rides and the Doraemon haze, he had actually started to enjoy himself. He might even be looking forward to next time.

 

After bidding farewell to his mother, he noticed he had received a message. Talk of the devil, it was from Daesung, which was odd since they hadn't messaged much, only a couple of times to decide the details for their upcoming date each time.

 

'Good night, Nobi-chan *^^*'

 

One of the countless things Seungri had learned today about that favorite series and obsession of Daesung's was that Nobita Nobi was Doraemon's best friend. He wasn't exactly sure what it was supposed to mean, calling him Nobi-chan, but he was pretty sure it was a term of endearment. That little softie.

 

He sent Youngbae a quick message that he had gotten home safely, but that he was too tired to chat and that he would call him tomorrow. Closing his phone, he went to wash up. Nobi-chan. He shook his head at the bull that came out of those round, puckered lips of his. Laying his head on the pillow, he reached for his phone.

 

'Good night Doraemon >.<'