Last Hurdle

12.19.2011
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      Last Hurdle

     

         It was like a nightmare being pulled up and down by the water. I was like a piece of plastic toy trying to float on a lake of debris and log. Each gulp of oxygen was a luxury. Each moment above the water was heaven. It was in that moment that I left it to God trusting it all to Him. If I died I prayed that they would find my body so they would stop hoping that I was alive somewhere. If my body was never to be found I prayed that they would be safe. If we all died I prayed that we could see each other in heaven.

            As I was pulled down again my hand caught in contact with something hard and metallic and I immediately grabbed on to it, holding it for dear life. When I realized that it was going up higher, above the water I began to climb. I managed to sit atop something like and pole and held on to it hoping that lighting wouldn’t hit it and no logs would come this time to destroy it.

            I cried thinking about my parents, my brother, Jessica and my sister. I prayed that they were alright and that I could see them again. Screw the belongings! If we hadn’t taken so much time on them maybe we would have gone to safety faster. I cried harder remembering the feeling of my hands slipping away from Jessica’s. I cried and prayed because right now those were the only things I could do.

                       

            The rain seemed to go on and on until I was practically numbed on top of the metal pole. I stared at the waters which was still angry and hateful and felt the true meaning of the word loss. I remember hearing someone say you cannot fully know the meaning of the loss until you actually feel it. That was what I was feeling complete and utter loss but for some reason I felt calm. It was not like the ordinary calmness but it was like I was overcome by such a reassuring presence that I was no longer afraid. I knew that it was God’s presence. I would be still and know that You are God. Those words never sounded must truer than now.

            After the sound of the storm had passed all that was left was the dead silence. I waited and then I sang the only song I could sing and that was “Still”. I was near the end of the song when I heard someone shouting my name. It was a hoarse voice barely audible.

            “TAEYEON?!!” it called more like asked.

            “ARE YOU TAEYEON?” It asked again.

            “Yes it’s me! Whose that calling? Mom? Dad? Jinwoon-oppa? SICA?!!” I shouted back desperately.

            “TAEYE

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter