The Finale: More Than Anything Else

More Than A Lot

“I so much more than a lot love you, you know that right?”

I nod. Because I do. I do know. And I so much more than a lot love him too.”

 

― Jay McLean, More Than This

 

 

 

Heads up: may feel choppy or confusing with the jumping timelines. It’s been a while since I’ve written something of this length so please do bear with it and hope you enjoy. Quotes colored in violet are from the novel, More Than This. Feedbacks are always welcome. :D

 

 

Present Day

 

“Will you marry me?” he asked while he’s got the signature bended knee position to perfection.

 

She looked down at him, not knowing what else to do as she gave back the response that no one else (except for the eight ladies in the room who were trying so hard to maintain a straight face) expected:

 

“NO.”

 

Her expression was nothing short of a blank, cold, look. He couldn’t believe what he just heard. He blinked several times, just to make sure he’s dreaming, but to his horror, everything about this moment is real. THIS, her rejection and his humiliation, IS the reality. After what seemed like the longest speech, pouring his heart, soul, and everything just to ask her that question, all he got was a “NO.” Unfortunately for her, he’s more stubborn than a mule and he wouldn’t take that for an answer. Not now, not ever.

 

“I just asked you a question.” he replied haughtily.

 

“And I just gave you my answer.” She fired back, still trying to keep all her feelings bottled inside.

 

“I don’t like it.” he stated.

 

“You don’t have to.” She smirked. And that was when he lost his patience.

 

“I’m not getting up here until you change your mind.” he announced.

 

“Well, goodluck with that. I’ll ask manager unnie to go buy some band aids not only for your soon-to-be bruised knees but also the scar of your burnt ego.” She bragged.

 

The audience (their closest friends/colleagues) looked at each other back and forth. It was one thing to see THE Yongseo Couple be sweet and mushy, and yet an entirely different experience to witness them in a lover’s quarrel; especially in the middle of what should’ve been a historic milestone in their life as a couple. The show has just gotten even more interesting.

 

“We chose the right OTP.” One of them whispered to the other.

 

“We sure did.” The girl giggled.

 

Meanwhile, said “OTP” were engrossed in an intense staring battle. He knew she was just messing around with him, and she knew that he knew that. She knew that he didn’t believe her rejection and would never do so, but she also wanted to know how far she could push him to the edge.

 

Serves him right after yet another one of his endless mildangs. She thought. This was payback for the two weeks he spent ignoring her, not even a call or a text or anything. He knew it was stupid of him to cut off all communication before the big proposal and now he’s paying the price. He never should’ve listened to a certain guy with an eye smile.

 

“I’ll ask you again: will you marry me?!” he asked, through gritted teeth.

 

“And I’ll answer you once more: NO. I do not wish to be tied down to a namja like you.” she repeated, though the grin has now turned into a devious smile. If there’s one thing he learned since they got together, that is, never, ever, make the Seo Joohyun angry. NEVER.

 

“Well then I won’t ask you again. I won’t take no for an answer. You’re marrying me whether you like it or not! We all know that you like it anyway, getting married to me! You have no say in this. We’re getting married and that’s final!!!” he shouted. It took all her willpower not to laugh and kiss him right then and there.

 

A proposal shouldn’t be like this, it’s supposed to be sweet, sugary, and all that fluff but he couldn’t help himself from feeling agitated. She’s clearly enjoying his torment and everyone in the room knew that she’d do everything she can to prolong his suffering. This is one of the main reasons their friends stan this couple so much. In contrast to their sweet, innocent, pure, “image” on television, they were the most unpredictable, thrilling, as well as the most romantic (like gag-inducing cheesiness, unicorns, flowers, and butterflies) pair they’ve ever come across with.

 

 

“So..? Do you finally get to say yes?” he prodded.

 

“It’s still a “no.”” she said.

 

“I swear on every goguma and root crop there is that I refuse to get up here until you agree to spend the rest of your life with me.”

 

She just sighed, shook her head, and looked at him with an unreadable expression. Being an acting major in college sure has its perks. It’s time to put all those college lectures to practice not only onstage but also in real life.

 

I deserve a Daesang for this performance. She thought as she smirked and tried to turn around and leave. However, the smirk was instantly wiped off her face the minute she realized what he has done. The he being the other half of her. Jung Yonghwa.


“Super glue?! Really? How childish can you be?!” she roared. This time, the tables were turned and he gets the upper hand.

 

“You’re going nowhere until you agree to become my wife.” He said, proud of pulling that super glue trick successfully.

 

So this is why her unnies insisted she wear this certain footwear. She agreed without thinking just because the shoes looked so pretty. If this was any of her ordinary branded heels or doll shoes, she could easily untie it and get herself off the hook. However, this one couldn’t be undone that easily and she needed the help of her unnies to figure the intricate design of it. She looked back at the guilty group of ladies who just winked at her as if they hadn’t committed a crime.

 

“Just say yes Hyun.  I really want to put this ring on your finger, not to mention, I miss you already.” he whined.

 

“I already told you my answer is no. I don’t care what happens to that ring and not to mention, it’s not like I missed you.” she lied.

 

“For a girl with a degree on acting from a prestigious university, I think they might want to reconsider taking back your diploma because Hyun, that’s one lousy performance right there. Now come to oppa and give me a kiss.” he as he puckered his lips for a kiss.

 

“In your dreams!” she shouted and even stuck her tongue out to him.

 

“In my dreams I would ask for more than a kiss…” he said naughtily. She’s going to cut him off but he grabbed her hand, kissed it and looked at her with those bedroom eyes.

 

“And the best part is…YOU, my beautiful Joohyun, NEVER refuse ME.”

 

The room almost shook with the squeals and laughter. Some even went as far as slapping each other’s hand (or backs) from too much cheese. Her heart fluttered but she didn’t want this to end yet. Whoever said Yongseo couple are not competitive when it comes to each other are seriously out of their minds. This is one of their charms as a couple and one of the reasons why after all the years of pressure and backlash, they were still going strong.

 

The mood changed when suddenly, a song blasted from the sound system with the culprit singing his heart out:

 

So it's gonna be forever

Or it's gonna go down in flames

You can tell me when it's over

If the high was worth the pain

Got a long list of ex-lovers

They'll tell you I'm insane

Cause you know I love the players

And you love the game!!!!!!

 

 

Everyone turned towards that direction as the guy turned down the volume, squared his shoulders and said innocently,

 

“What? I happen to like Taylor Swift. This song is my new jam!!! Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream!!!”

 

The others groaned as the guy continued to be oblivious to what’s happening. His girlfriend tried to stop him but failed. The rest of the people did too but weren’t able to put an end to his self-imposed concert. There’s a reason why he debuted as an actor and not a singer. Apparently, Song Jaerim still can’t let go of those dreams.

 

“Dude, what the hell?! This is supposed to be my moment with Hyun!” Yonghwa complained. With that, Jaerim paused the song and looked at him blankly as he replied,

 

“Did Seohyun-sshi say yes already?”

 

“Not yet.” Yonghwa answered, his irritation seeping in.

 

The guy smiled as he turned the music back on and said,

 

“Well, until then, this isn’t your moment yet but mine. Cause we're young and we're reckless

 

We'll take this way too far and leave you breathless

Or with a nasty scar

Got a long list of ex-lovers

They'll tell you I'm insane

But I got a blank space baby

And I'll write your name!!!”

 

A lady from the group whispered to the guy’s girlfriend and said,

 

“Soeun-ah, how did you ever manage to fall in love with that guy? No offense, he’s good-looking, charming, sweet, and all, but really? His 4D is out of this world!”

 

The girl just smiled a dreamy smile, her eyes never leaving the wannabe idol’s frame (aka her boyfriend) as she replied,

 

“Love needs no reason or explanation. I fell in love with him and that’s it.”

 

“These pabos are hopeless.” Someone else from the group commented.

 

“Dude, if we’re talking about hopeless pabos, those two over there would take the cake.” A guy replied.

 

Their attention was back to the “OTP” and realized that the proposal has yet to continue. This is going to be a good show.

 

 

divider.png

 

 

2 weeks earlier…

 

“He’s going to propose to you!” Yoona exclaimed.

 

Any other girl would’ve been annoyed to be dealt with a spoiler, but Seo Joohyun is not just an ordinary one and that’s why her response was a simple, chic,

 

“I know.”

 

She smiled to herself as she could feel all eight of her unnies look at her, with mouths agape.

 

“You knew? How so?” Jessica asked.

 

“I saw the ring box somewhere in the drawer for his underwears.” Seohyun replied, not bothering to look up from reading a book.

 

“How can you be so sure it’s yours?” Sooyoung challenged her.

 

“I wasn’t actually. It was only until I almost walked in on him practicing his proposal speech did I know my hunch was right.” She said proudly.

 

“And how do you know that he wasn’t just practicing his lines from a script?” Sunny continued.

 

By this time, Seohyun put down her book and answered.

 

“I didn’t until I heard him call out my name a thousand times, screaming in frustration how much he loves me and how difficult it was to come up with a speech that would make me say “Yes.””  she smiled.

 

Normally, her unnies would burst into their girly fits of giggles and squeals, but to her surprise, not this time. Instead, it seems as if a devilish plan was cooked into their heads as they said the same thing all at once:

 

“Then say “NO.””

 

“What?!!”

 

“Say no, Hyunnie. Amuse your unnies for a bit and pretend to reject his proposal.” Taeyeon laughed.

 

“But…but that’s crazy!” she cried out.

 

“But you are crazy, dear maknae…” Yuri trailed off.

 

“Crazy in love with Jung Yonghwa!!!!” Tiffany yelled. By this time, the girls broke into their signature laugh.

 

“UNNIES!”

 

“We’re serious, Seohyun-ah. Pretend to reject him and let’s see how far he’ll go to make you change your mind. It’ll be worth it. Trust us.” Hyoyeon tried to convince her.

 

“He’s going to hate me for this. What if it back fires?” Seohyun pondered.

 

“It won’t. If there’s one thing Jung Yonghwa would trade his voice for in order not to lose someone, that person would be none other than you.” Jessica stated.

 

“He’s too in love with you that he’ll practically beg on his knees to make you say yes.” Sunny added.

 

Seohyun had this look of finality in her that screams “NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I EVER DO THIS SH*T” but her unnies drew in the wild card that changed the game once and for all:

 

“Besides, don’t you want some payback after the mildang he pulled on you when he got discharged from the army?” Taeyeon reminded.

 

“Come to think of it Seohyun-ah…he was the one who made you beg for his love and attention for three days…” Yoona said.

 

“Have you forgotten all those things you said and did on national television just to make him call you?” Sooyoung added.

 

“I gotta say, this push and pull thing is totally Yongseo Couple’s trademark. Why not give him a taste of his own medicine? Most of all, let him experience the bitterness of it before you sweep in to be his cure.” Yuri said.

 

The eight ladies knew that they’ve got the maknae the moment they reminded her of the mildang. Just when they thought victory is at hand, Seohyun stood up and said,

 

“No. I don’t mean to offend you unnies but that really is a stupid thing to do. Thanks for the concern.”

 

The eight of them looked at each other and by this time they had to pull in that final wild card. They pretended to go their own way but not before looking back and saying,

 

“Suit yourself Seohyun-ah. Who knows that maybe the next time you get yourself drunk, it wouldn’t be just a private party within our circle but the national television when you announce how much you’re dying to Jung Yonghwa’s abs.”

 

Upon the reminder of that horrible night wherein she threw away her pride and dignity just to make him notice her, her facial expression changed. The other eight felt that they’ve gone too far with this prank as guilt and conscience immediately took hold of their thoughts. Before they could take back what they said, Seohyun had this determined look on her face when she said,

 

“Deal. I’ll pretend to say no.”

 

The older girls were taken aback but also amused. Well, well. Their precious baby has indeed grown up.

 

“Perfect! But this wouldn’t be all that fun if there’s nothing at stake.” Sooyoug said.

 

“What do you suggest we do then?” Jessica asked.

 

“We’re all 100% sure that Yong seobang would do anything and everything to make Hyunnie change her mind…” Taeyeon began.

 

“and so, there should be a time limit for the “rejection.” Fifteen minutes. If Seohyunnie can resist her “Yo~ng oppa” within that time, then she wins. We’ll give you anything you want baby girl. Just name it and we will.”  Tiffany said.

 

“And if I lose?” Seohyun inquired.

 

“Then you’d gift each one of us 100 million worth of jewelries from Tiffany & Co. Let me clarify that: 100 million times eight…” Yoona clapped.

 

“Which is equal to more than half a billion won!!!! Unnies have you gone mad?!!!” Seohyun screamed.

 

“Not really. But there’s a reason why this is a “bet” and not some charity work.” Yuri laughed.

 

“Time to put those acting workshops and that degree to use. Make your university proud Seo Joohyun! Prove that you are deserving of the award they’ve given you!” Hyoyeon teased.

 

Not one to back out from a challenge, she stepped up and declared,

 

“Fine. Game on.”

 

The girls shared a high five and just when they were about to resign to their respective rooms, Sunny asked loudly,

 

“I just remembered. Why were you going through Yong seobang’s underwears?”

 

Her face burned red and fortunately, she was able to dash inside her bedroom, lock the door, and stay there until the coast is clear…until, her unnies loudly banged the door and shouted:

 

“Seohyunnie has become naughty!!! Checking out her future nampyeon’s undies!!! Hahahahaha!”

 

She slapped her forehead and became even more determined not to lose the bet.

 

 

divider.png

 

Present Day

 

Her shoes were glued to the ground (literally) and so, she had nowhere else to go. She couldn’t even bend down to take a seat because of her tight fitting dress that would probably rip if she tries anything odd. She cursed herself for thinking that she could wear a dress three sizes smaller than her actual size just because she wanted to accentuate her figure. She couldn’t even figure out how to undo the lock of her new heels and it’s not like she even has the chance to do so with Jung Yonghwa resting his bended knee on it, with one hand on the other foot. She huffed and pouted, annoyed that only four minutes has passed since he popped the question. Eleven more minutes of burger hell. Crap. Curse that freaking bet.

 

“Well then, convince me oppa. Give me one good reason why I should marry you.” she demanded.

 

His gaze softened at once and he held her hand, as if in plea while he replied,

 

“Because I happen to love you, Hyun, and I know you love me too…so much more than a lot.”

 

With that simple statement, her tower of defense started to crumble. Because it’s true. She really likes him and he likes her too. A lot. They happen to like each other, to the point that they deeply fell in love.

 

“So much more than a lot…” she whispered.

 

“Yes, Hyun. More than a lot..” he answered.

 

 

divider.png

 

9 years ago…

 

“Hyung! Palli! We’re going to be late! Yah!” one his fellow members called out to him. Particularly, the bassist.

 

He just went out to get a cup of Iced Americano only to be cornered by fangirls and fellow idols alike. Some just asked the casual generic questions while others boldly gave him their phone numbers hoping he’d do the same. He wanted to scream for help, anything at all to avoid this madness. Sure, he did crave for popularity and recognition, but somewhere along the lines of pursuing his dream did he fail to see the consequences that came along with it. With the success of his debut drama he’s become the industry’s latest “it boy.” Not that the title is something to be proud of.

 

Upon hearing his maknae calling out to him, he silently prayed a thanksgiving for this opportunity to escape. He reasoned that his band is up to perform next and though others were still trying to get his claws on him, he managed to slip out of the crowd and dash off. He ran until he was breathless and it was a sight to behold seeing as there was no one who came after him when he made that exit.

 

He kept running, looking back once to check if the coast was clear, only to collide harshly with another person.

 

“Ah! Manhi ahpayo!” a sweet, gentle voice squeaked.

 

He kept massaging his forehead as he bowed several times in apology.

 

“Jeongmal joesonghabnida sunbaenim! I didn’t mean it! I’m so sorry for being a reckless hoobae.” He begged.

 

He was so ashamed, fearful that one of the sunbaes he crashed into was someone rumored to be a huge B in the business. One wrong move then his career could end before it even truly began. His worries were laid to rest and were replaced with a warm, fluttery feeling when he felt her hand on his arm.

 

“Gwenchanayo. Please stop bowing. It’s okay. I’m okay. What about you? Are you hurt somewhere?”

 

Her genuine concern shocked him that he didn’t even think twice as he lifted his head to see who this idol was. To his utter surprise, it was her. He wanted to die at the scene, crawl into a hole, or go someplace where he could reflect because of all the idols he could’ve collided with, she has to be from the nation’s girl group.

 

THE nation’s girl group that is also managed by the biggest of the big 3 in the Korean Idol music industry. And most of all, because said member of the national girl group happens to be the sheltered and loved maknae. If the rest of the girls of SNSD witnessed this event, he doubt he’d survive their counterattacks even if the crash was not something intentional.

 

“A-aah…a-aani. I-I’m o-okay. I’m fine, Seohyun-ah…” he stuttered.

 

The two of them were shocked upon hearing him address her informally. Granted that he’s the older one, but still. They had no interactions before this incident and it’s extremely odd that he call her fondly like that. Once more, he prayed that someone just please shoot him in the head because he doesn’t know why he even called out to her in such an affectionate manner. To make things even more embarrassing, he started to have hiccups. It broke the tension and he heard her stifle a giggle. Cute.

 

“Hyung!” the sound of his 3 band mates calling out to him was enough to bring him back to reality. He apologized once more and ran to where he was supposed to be.

 

Just as the coordi noona finished the final touches of his stage outfit and makeup, he tried to keep a passive face as he blurted,


“She’s cute….and pretty..but there’s something more about her that draws me in. Or maybe she really is just an angel.”

 

His band mates looked at him as if he was from outer space, completely puzzled with the bizarre behavior of their hyung.

 

“Who?”

 

“Her. Seohyun.” he replied, the corners of his lips slightly turning up to form a smile.

 

“I thought you like the leader, not the maknae?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Taeyeon is Taeyeon…keunde…Seohyun is…” he couldn’t find the right words to say.

 

“Omo hyung. You change your bias in SNSD that easily? Waeyo? I thought you said you really liked Taeyeon noona.” Minhyuk .

 

To everyone’s surprise, it seems as if SNSD’s Taeyeon no longer existed, that his days as a dedicated fan of hers dissolve into thin air, as his cheeks broke into a bright smile while he replied,

 

“Yeah, I thought so too. Obviously, I’m wrong.”

 

His dongsaengs exchanged this bewildered look upon seeing their hyung behave like that. It will pass. Pretty soon he’ll move on to the next girl or be too focused on work to think about dating at all. They thought. Little did all of them know that less than a month later, their hyung will never be cured of this so-called disease.

 

divider.png

 

 

Present Day

 

 

She hasn’t recovered from that shot of his and truthfully, she felt that she’s going to lose this one. Why does he have to use that “more than a lot” tagline right now? WHY?!  She unconsciously pouted her lips, her forehead crease grew deeper that he just wanted to kiss her worries away. He knew she was on the verge of crying and so, he mentally prepared himself for yet another one of those “reassurance speeches” they’re going to have to go through in the next couple of minutes. Why couldn’t she just say yes and end this once and for all? His knee must’ve been bruised by now but his pride and his will to hear that sweet three letter word made him endure the pain.

 

“I..I really like you too, Yong…so much more than a lot…but…” Eight hundred million won is a lot of money too.

 

She didn’t add the last part though. She loves him more than anything else in the world but call it a girl’s pride or so that she refuses to back out from the challenge. It’s easy to pay off that money and it’s not like it would dent her bank account badly, but still. What more could an extra eight minutes be?

 

“There are no “buts” Seo Joohyun-sshi!!!” Yonghwa screamed in agitation.

 

“YAH! You’re the one asking me to give up my all to spend it with you so be nice and keep your voice on the down low!” she scolded.

 

“If you don’t want to walk down the aisle with your groom on a wheelchair, then answer my question like you always wanted to: will you marry me?”

 

She opened , tears started to stream down her face until she made the mistake to glance on her right to check on the time. Seven minutes left. Why can’t time go by fast?!!! So against her will she ended up saying “no.”

 

“Aish Seo Joohyun! Stop testing my patience!” he angrily said.

 

“And if I stop testing your patience would you give up on me?!” she cried. She’s crying because this is all so stupid and pointless. Oh how emotions could leave you a wreck.

 

“Of course not! Never! But that doesn’t mean you have the right to keep up with this charade! Yah! My knee hurts!” he complained.

 

She reached out and luckily grabbed a book. She threw it at him (if there’s any way of gently throwing a book to someone) and he was able to clumsily take hold of it before the cover fell through.


“Use this or something. Whatever.” she sniffed.

 

He was annoyed but then he saw the book that’s now in his hands. More Than This. He playfully tickled her knees until she looked down on him, nose flaring and eyes glaring when he held up the book and winked at her.

 

“Didn’t know you still keep this with you.” he teased.

 

“Of course I did. It was the first book you gave to me. I’m not one to throw a gift even if it came from some haughty childish stranger…”

 

“Yeah, but you threw away Jinwoon and Minho and Kyuhyun hyung’s gifts to you…” he trailed off.

 

“I didn’t throw it!” she denied.

 

“But you donated it or something so that still counts! Meanwhile, you still have everything else I’ve given you. Including my heart.”

 

The last line made the rest curl their fingers from it. How Jung Yonghwa can manage to sneak in some cheesiness amidst the bickering always left them amazed.

 

divider.png

 

9 years ago…

 

“Hyung…Seohyun-sshi…” Yonghwa started.

 

“Is a member of So Nyuh Shi Dae. Korea’s National Girl Group. SNSD is managed by SM Entertainment. That’s a wall, Yong. One that not even a company as ours could even dare to climb over. Give up your thoughts on SNSD’s maknae and just focus on your career. You can’t let this slip away. You’ve worked hard for this. Don’t waste the opportunity.” His manager cut him off.

 

He kept those words to heart and promised not to get sidetracked by girls and dating. Specifically, the timid, pretty, caring maknae of SNSD. However, as fate would have it and just when he thought he has brushed off whatever  brief “feelings” he had for her, WGM happened. The night after the first filming, he couldn’t wipe that silly smile on his face as he got inside the van.

 

“Try not to look so happy, Yonghwa-yah. Remember, this is just a job. WGM is just work. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep that in mind.” his manager reminded him though there were jabs of teasing here and there.

 

“Ahrasseo hyung.” He replied, but deep inside, everyone in that van knew it was a lie. Because a couple of months into this virtual marriage, the rocker boy fell in love with the idol girl.

 

 

divider.png

 

A day before the proposal…

 

 

“Yah! The lights aren’t situated properly! Move it a little bit on the left!” he ordered. The two maknaes groaned in frustration and looked towards their Jonghyun hyung for help.

 

“Don’t look at me like that. Be thankful you’re not the ones stuck trying to make sense of the massacre that is Yonghwa hyung’s painting.” He hissed.

 

“We still have a schedule to attend to! Double time people!” Yonghwa called out.

 

The rest grumbled but still catered to his wishes. It’s a simple proposal, one that is only to be witnessed by their close knit of friends, and it’s not like he was asking for an elaborate setup. It’s a different story though when you drag sleep deprived idols and labelmates to help accomplish the task in such a short amount of time. The door opened and as if on cue, everyone automatically bowed to give their greeting to a very respected sunbae – Girls’ Generation minus the maknae.

 

The ladies greeted them cheerfully, brought in some pizza and other snacks while thanking them for the hard work. Once the greetings and chatter died down, they approached their soon-to-be-brother-in-law and said,

 

“We just want to give you a heads up and make sure that uri maknae goes nowhere when this proposal occurs.”

 

He looked at them sheepishly as he asked,

 

“What makes you think she’d leave in the middle of all this?”

 

“Oh, nothing really. You know she’s such a ball of emotional mess these days. Girl’s helplessly in love with you and you know how feelings can distort one’s rational thinking.” one of the eight said nonchalantly.

 

He eyed them suspiciously, wanting to ask what the hell is going on and what it is they said to his future fiancé. But he didn’t do any of that. He’s already exhausted and nervous with the upcoming proposal that he just shook off his doubts, smiled, and said,

 

“Alright. Thanks for the heads up. Make sure that Joohyun stands in that pink heart over there when I make the cue. Right there and nowhere else.”

 

“Got it. See you tomorrow Yong seobang. You’re badly in need of sleep.” they waved at him as they went outside the room.

 

He really didn’t know what could happen and the first thing that popped into his head was none other than Super Glue. Oh well. Might as well put some good ‘ol tricks to use.

 

divider.png

 

“Hey, Jake?”

“Yeah, Kayla?” He’s almost asleep.

“I more than a lot like you.”

It’s quiet for so long I don’t know if he heard me.

Then, “I more than a lot like you too, so much more than a lot.”

 

 

 

 

8 years earlier…

 

“Self-improvement? Again? I don’t mean to question or mock your choice of genre, but Seohyun-sshi, would you do me a favor and try out something new?” he said jokingly while sitting down beside her.

 

They were at a secret hideout, a place with a beautiful pond and garden. She put down her book and looked at him curiously, mischief glinting in her clear eyes.

 

“What do you suggest then, Yonghwa-sshi?” she asked.

 

“Romance.” He answered. He searched his knapsack for something and finally brought out a box.

 

“More Than series?” she said as she read the titles.

 

“This was the first gift box set I got my hands on before my sasaengs caught up with me.” he mumbled. He shuddered just thinking about that night he almost got caught by the paparazzi and stalker fans alike.

 

“Okay. I’ll read it. Thanks.” She politely responded as she proceeded to carefully tear off the package.

 

“Hey!  What do you think you’re doing? Why are you taking all of it?!” he said. She was startled.

 

“Huh? Aren’t these for me?” she asked.

 

“Yeah it’s for you but I was hoping that you’d, u-uhm, ah, share it, w-with m-me..?” he stuttered. This girl and her unconscious ability make him tongue tied.

 

“How?” she tilted her head to one side and looked at him amusingly.

 

“By taking turns reading it. C’mon close your eyes! This will be fun!” he cheered.

 

She did as he asked and once the two of them held a book each, they opened their eyes again.

 

“What now?” she asked.

 

“Now, we start reading.” He announced.

 

“What?! But Yo~ng! This is, what? The third book in the series! It’s a series, oppa.” she whined.

 

“and I got the second! It’s okay Hyun. I read from the reviews that each book focuses on a different couple. So, not much of a big deal.” He said.

 

“But we’re going to find out what happened to the others and get to read about the end before knowing about their story!” she said.

 

“So? Then let it happen that way. Spice things up a little and change it. We don’t always have to go by the book and read it in a chronological order. Yes, that’s the proper thing to do to avoid confusion and to be able to follow the plotline clearly, but I want you to read out of the box. Explore! Besides, which guy would convince you to do this other than me? No one else right?”

 

“No one else but a choding like you.” she pouted.

 

“A choding you happen to be “married” to.” He said as he pinched her cheeks. Her face felt hot from the contact that she had to scoot an inch farther from him to calm her raging heart.

 

He threw his head back and laughed. She tried to get away from him but he held her waist and let her lean her head on his shoulder. She was gazing at the beautiful sunrise while he, was busy, falling in love with her with each passing second.

 

“You know what Hyun? I really like you…a lot…like, so much more than a lot…” he confessed. By this time, it was his own heart that spiraled out of controlled. He wasn’t expecting anything from her but Seo Joohyun turned his world upside down in a way that only she could when she replied,

 

“And you know what, Yong? I really like you too…a lot…like, so much more than a lot.” she smiled at him so sweetly that he felt his heart was going to burst out of overwhelming love and joy.

 

He held her face in his palm, tips of the nose brushing as he whispered,

 

“We’re so much more than what we are right now, Hyun. We are more than what others think we are…we are more than this…but I don’t want to scare or pressure you so I just really want to say that…I really do…like you a lot…so much more than a lot.”

 

She leaned closer, their breaths mingling as she smiled shyly while saying,

 

“Me too, Yong. So much more than a lot..”

 

As the sun rose to signify a brand new day, their first kiss marked the beginning of them being more than what they were at that moment.

 

divider.png

 

Present Day

 

“Don’t ever break up with me, please.” She pleaded. Eyes b with unshed tears.

 

“What the hell are you talking about? No one’s breaking up with anyone. Just in case you forgot, I’m down on bended knee, asking you to marry me.” he replied.

 

“I swear, Yong. I wouldn’t be able to take it if you ever decide you don’t want me in your life anymore.” she continued.

 

“How could I not want you in my life when here I am, bruised knee and all, asking you to spend the rest of my life with me? Yah! Seo Joohyun, mworago? What is this you’re saying?!” he scratched the back of his head.

 

“I’m just saying that I wouldn’t be able to take it if you leave me for good! Is that so hard to understand?!” she snapped.

 

The audience murmured, one asking if the bride-to-be is pregnant because of her mood swings, which, the rest of the CN guys and SNSD girls dismissed.

 

“What I don’t understand is you asking me absurd questions when you haven’t even answered mine!” he yelled.

 

“I don’t even remember yours!” she shouted back.

 

“I asked you so many times already!!! YAH! Seo Joohyun! Will you please marry me?!!!!” he screamed.

 

“And I remember asking you to be nice and polite! Hmp!” she looked away and refused to meet his gaze.

 

“Aish Seo Joohyun why are you being so difficult?! If you don’t answer me now I swear I’m going to pull down your underwear!” he yelled without thinking.

 

That declaration sent waves of gasps across the room and even the bride-to-be was caught blushing and unable to speak. The ice bucket challenge craze has died down years ago and yet here he is, feeling like the entire world just dumped a truckload of ice on him to make him regain his sanity.

 

“YOU.WOULDN’T.DARE.” she said through gritted teeth.

 

He smirked mischievously as his hands slowly crept up her thighs until he stopped.

 

“OH.YES.I.WOULD.” he dared.

 

“JUNG.YONG.HWA.” she warned him. He wanted to further but he knew better than to enrage his goddess of a girlfriend aka soon to be fiancé. He took his hands and did a scout’s honor gesture. Instantly, the mood changed with the flicking emotions dancing in her eyes.

 

“I’m serious, Yonghwa-yah. Please. Please don’t ever break up with me…”

 

He took a deep breath and held her hand.

 

“Hyun…I promise. I won’t ever break up with you. In fact, if I remember clearly, you were the one who tried to break up with me..”

 

“And it was a hellish ordeal that I wouldn’t want to go through again.” she replied honestly.

 

They recalled that memory. The feeling of almost letting go and the pain that nearly tore them apart.

 

divider.png

 

“I’m going to be the luckiest a**hole in the world when she finally lets me love her.”

 

 

7 years ago…

 

He thought all was well. He thought she felt the same way as she did. However, things didn’t go that way. She broke up with him through a phone call.

 

“It’s over, I’m sorry.” Four words were enough to break his heart and not a single piece was left for it to start beating. Nothing. The next few months flew by so fast. They drowned their misery in alcohol, work, and more work.

 

He only found the reason why she broke up with him a day earlier than this and even if he tried to reach out to her, he couldn’t find the means to do so. Their agencies threatened them both and it didn’t help either that they got caught by the journalists during one of their dates. They fought the battle together, but it because they had different strategies to win.

 

It was this dream concert overseas wherein their schedules inevitably overlapped. He felt proud seeing her shine onstage, receiving the loudest cheers from the audience, but felt even more lonely that he couldn’t be there to share the joy with her.

 

The concert has come to end and the entire production was in celebratory mood for the success of the event. All of the artists attended the after party. He felt suffocated from the endless attention the younger female idols casted on him. He felt even more stuffy with the way some fans who sneaked in tried to grab him. He needed to be out of the crowd and before he knew it, he was running. He kept running, going in and out of wherever, until he didn’t notice that he was almost at the dead end. Before he knew it, his head bumped into that of another person.

 

“Ah! Manhi ahpayo!” a sweet, gentle voice exclaimed.

 

Just as quickly as the tide turns on the shore, it felt like a sudden gush of déjà vu. Air seemed to be out of his lungs as well as hers. No one said anything. Time stood still until it was her who broke the reverie.

 

“Excuse me.” she said as she tried to make her way out. He held her elbow tightly, careful not to leave any mark on her delicate skin, and gentle enough not to hurt her in any way.

 

“I’m going crazy Hy~un…I don’t understand. I don’t know anymore. The you onstage and the you right now feels like two different people but at the same time it isn’t. Confusing, eh?” he started.

 

“You’re drunk. Let’s talk when you’re sober.” She coldly responded. There’s only so much that a girl’s heart can take.

 

“I’m not drunk.” He said, a hint of finality and authority in his voice.

 

She didn’t want this conversation to go on. She couldn’t be within his sphere any longer than a minute so she cut to the chase and begged him.

 

“Yonghwa-yah, let me go. Jebal.”

 

Tears fell from his eye the moment also hers did. It was the first time she saw him cry like that and it broke the heart which she thought was no more.

 

“Ottoke, Hyun? What do you do? When the person you love the most, when the girl you’ve only ever dreamed to have a future with, is standing right before you, asking you to let her go? How can I do that Hyun? How can I be selfish and selfless at the same time? How?”

 

She shook her head and cried along with him, because truth be told, she held no answers within her. In fact, they’re asking the same questions.

 

“It feels like the you right now is a blend of who you were before and who you want to be in the future.” he said. She didn’t say anything in response so he took this as a cue to proceed talking.

 

“I’m confused, Joohyun-ah. Who are you, really? But even so, I want you to know that, I, Jung Yonghwa, am in love with you. I love you.”

 

She took a step back, shook her head repeatedly, covered her ears and said,

 

“No you don’t. You’re in love with the version of me that is no longer in existence.”

 

He took a step forward until he had her pinned on the wall.

 

“That’s not true. I love you for who you are.” He argued.

 

“You said you’re confused, oppa. So the question is, who do you want me to be?” she said, trying to coldly push him away but failed. He held her still trembling arms as he lifted her chin so their gazes would lock.

 

“I just want you to be you.”

 

That look in his eyes, the tone of his voice, everything about Jung Yonghwa was all it took for Seo Joohyun to come undone. She sobbed in his arms as he circled her in an embrace. A hug that felt like home.

 

“I just want to be me too.” she cried.

 

He held her closer, never wanting to let go as he replied,

 

“From now on, that’s all you’re ever going to be. I promise.”

 

There’s something about the way he utters those promises which makes her want to believe in them. In him. Deciding she could no longer hold it in, she hugged him closer as she said,

 

“I guess I really do like you a lot, Jung Yonghwa-sshi. So much more than a lot…in fact, I LOVE YOU..a lot..like, so much more than a lot. I just want you to know that.”

 

He carried her in his arms since he couldn’t contain his joy. He reluctantly let her go just to look at her and finally say it again face to face:

 

“And I happen to really like you a lot too, Seohyun-sshi. So much more than a lot….in fact, I love you too. So much more than you could ever love me.”

 

She wiped the tears from his eyes as she replied,

 

“That’s impossible oppa. You’re my first and my last. There are no in betweens or ones before you. Obviously there’s never going to be a next one. How could you beat that?” she .

 

“You’re right…I couldn’t…” he sighed sadly. She arched an eyebrow knowing that all of the sad demeanor was just for show.

 

“So please do let me spend the rest of my life trying to make up to that. Let me love you the way you deserve to be loved, Hyun, and I promise, you’ll never regret giving me that chance. Because just so you know. No other guy could ever like you so much more than I’ll ever do. Whereas they just want to blend into your world, I want more than that. I want more than to be just a part of it. I want to be it. Because you are. My world. And I’ll do whatever it takes so I could be yours too.”

 

If this was the Seohyun he met a year or two earlier, he never would’ve guessed she has it in her to do the next move. She pulled his face towards her and ever so gently, sealed it all with a kiss. A kiss so sweet that he got weak in the knees. A kiss which made him feel that his and her heart are one and the same.

 

divider.png

 

Present Day

 

“Why isn’t that damn timer moving?! There must be something wrong with it! How could there still be two freaking minutes left?! Two minutes!!! AISH!” she repeated that thought in her head until it felt like her newest mantra.

 

She was agitated by the minute until she heard some snapping sounds.

 

“Yah! Seo Joohyun! Are you listening to me?!”

 

Right. Her soon-to-be-fiance. Still stuck in a bended knee position holding that ring box.

 

“I don’t think I’ll ever do anything to deserve you.” she began. She’s running out of things to say and that irritating timer still has 30 seconds on the line.

 

“I feel the same way Hyun, and frankly, I know a million other wannabes out there would say the same thing too. But you know what? It doesn’t matter. None of it really matters aside from you and me. If we both think we don’t deserve each other, then why don’t we be together and prove all of that wrong? Seo Joohyun, you know that I love you. I love you enough to throw away my pride to beg the WGM PD-nims to cast me in an attempt to forget about you. Who knew that they paired me up with the very girl I was told to stay away from?

 

This speech go on but my knees hurt like sh*t and I can’t stand another minute not being engaged to you. So let me cut this short and ask you for the millionth time, Seo Joohyun, will you marry me?”

 

She no longer bothered to look at the timer as she bent down to cup his face, tears streaming down as she finally uttered that long awaited,

 

“YES!”

 

He slipped the ring on her finger, got up on his feet, and finally, finally kissed her. The room was filled with cheers and the sound of party poppers.

 

“Long live the Yongseo Couple!!!” they chanted.

 

The couple couldn’t care less as they continued to exchange promises, sweet words of nothings, until someone made a gagging sound in the background.

 

“And I so much more than a lot can’t take your cheesiness.” Jaerim said.

 

“Says the guy who took away Jung Yonghwa’s crown as the cheesiest WGM nampyeon.” Hyoyeon remarked.

 

“I think he’s cute..and awesome…and so what if he’s cheesy? One of the reasons I fell in love with him…” Soeun smiled.

 

“Aigoo, Taemin oppa, will we be like them one day too?” Naeun wondered.

 

“That one day could be today. Just say the word and I’ll make it come true.” Taemin responded.

 

“Yongseo couple is soooo cute! I really like this OTP. So much more than a lot.” Yura smiled.

 

“Other than our WGM sunbaenims, I love you more…so much more than a lot.” Jonghyun replied to which Yura blushed.

 

The single people in the group couldn’t hide their disgust over the unwarranted public displays of affection headed by Yonghwa and Seohyun themselves. Nichkhun laughed heartily as he commented,

 

“Aigoo…these WGM couples…”

 

Tiffany glared at him as she countered,

 

“Are you forgetting that you used to be one of them too? It’s okay, you can cry now.” she mimicked the way Khun uttered that unforgettable WGM line of his. Also the line which broke them up the first time.

 

“Babe..didn’t we talk about this?” Khun tried to coo her but she’s once again filled with jealousy. Women and their emotional fits.

 

None of that mattered to Yonghwa and Seohyun. To them, it feels like they were the only ones in the room. Though they argued about the bet (her rejecting because of the 800 million won thingy) they quickly forgot about it too. Since her shoes were still stuck to the ground and he couldn’t figure out how to untie it, they chose to remain in a hugging position, exchanging lovestruck gazes and whispering I love you’s.

 

There was only one thing floating through her mind. She recalled that quote in that novel and she smiled upon knowing that finally, she has her own version of it.

 

“I can't even begin to tell you... I just wish that you could have felt it too. So that when you found your Jung Yonghwa, you would know. You would know what it felt like to stand in front of your forever.” She thought.

 

“What are you smiling about?” he asked as he stole a peck on her lips and played with the ring on her finger. His ring.

 

“Nothing.” She giggled.

 

He tickled her mercilessly until she told him what’s going on in her mind.

 

So this is how it feels like…to stand in front of your forever…It's just you. It's only ever been just you. It will always only ever be just you. Jung Yonghwa. Saranghae.” she trailed off, a blush creeping in her cheeks.

 

“And if you were still here today, I would tell you, that in your future, do not settle for anything less than the Seo Joohyun of the world. Because they exist, and not just in fairytales.” He thought. Now it was her turn to steal a kiss on his lips as she asked,

 

“What are you smiling about?”

 

“Have you seen the mirror lately?” he asked seriously.

 

“No. Why?” she answered.

 

“You should. Like, right now. Because the reason for my happiness would be staring right back at you. I’m telling you Hyun. She’s the most beautiful woman in the world second to my mom. What? I’m a filial son!”

 

She threw her head back and laughed. Jung Yonghwa might not be the hearts and flowers kind of guy (he did gift her a goguma field on her birthday after all), but he’s the heart and soul kind of guy. Lucky for Seohyun, she’d rather have that than flowers.

 

Before the entire thing came to an end, he kissed the tip of her nose as he recited that line from the book in a way that would make them feel like it belongs to them..

 

“I’m your Yo~ng.” he smiles. “And your my Hy~un...”

 

“..and I more than a lot love you, so much more than a lot.” she beat him to it. His cheeks felt like it was going to fall off from ascending to heaven but there’s nothing that could keep away his smile as he looked at her with all the love he has to give while he simply replied,

 

“Me too.”

 

 

The End.

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

Whew. It’s been awhile that I wrote something of this extreme. Perhaps the break helped regenerate the feels. I even had enough time to create a poster for this story. and yes. it’s not perfect and I stressed out a lot on making the font prettier (or less amateurish than what it ended up to be) or adding these cute falling leaves/sparkle/snow effect but I gave up since I didn’t know how. I just resigned to completing the story which is all that matters. Lol.

 

I haven’t finished reading the novel this was heavily inspired from but the way the “so much more than a lot” being mentioned multiple times just got stuck in my head and then bam. Here goes the plot. The setting is sometime in the future, either 5-6 years from now. Whatever works for your imagination is fine. ^^

 

You may have noticed that I included some WGM couples in the end. I’m watching the show again and I’m in danger of falling for SoLim couple (believe me, it was hard to let go of my BOF Soeul ship). Yongseo is enough for now but I can’t help but to enjoy Song Jaerim’s cheesiness and Kim Soeun’s strong yet sweet personality. Okay, enough. I might turn this into a blog so yeah.

 

This is it. I hope that with the length, and slight confusion with the timelines, this oneshot still gave you some fluffy feels. I wonder..when will I be able to write an angst half as much as I write these cringe inducing fluff? :p


That’s all for now. Gotta go and resume my OUAT marathon. Cheers to all those who love the show too! ;)