From Strangers to Study Buddies

Movie Dates and Popcorn Kisses

     Heechul and Hangeng studied the situation with curiosity. The brown haired boy stared at Hyukjae with disbelief. The couple regarded each other as Hyukjae spoke. “What are you doing here?!” Donghae blinked and tilted his head, “I work here with my auntie. What are you doing here?” Hyukjae gestured towards the food in Donghae’s hands and replied “I’m trying to eat. I didn’t think I’d see you again any time soon!”

     Donghae gave a sheepish laugh and set their food down on the table. “Yeah, I can understand that. I actually wasn’t planning on going back to the movies in a while.” He shuffled his feet and quietly added “It’s nice to see you again, though.” Hyukjae felt a blush work its way onto his face, when an older voice called over.

     “Donghae? What’s going on out there?” Donghae stiffened. He looked over his shoulder and then back at Hyukjae. “Look, my auntie doesn’t know that I went to the movies. I told her I was studying to get out of work. Please, do not mention that I was at the movies yesterday!” An older woman of about 40 years made her way over to see what the fuss was about.

            “Is there a problem here, sir? I hope my nephew wasn’t being a bother! Donghae, what did you do to startle these poor people!?” Heechul was the first to start speaking. “No, there’s not trouble here! It’s just that our dear Hyukjae recognized Donghae from the local Hagwon that they both attend!” Hyukjae and Donghae stared at Heechul incredulously. The old woman’s face softened and she smiled at her patrons. “Ah, so I see that he’s a friend from the same class! I’m so glad! I’m sure that Hyukjae is helping Donghae keep on track with his studies.”

            “You’re absolutely right!” chimed in Hangeng, “Hyukjae simply goes to the Hagwon as a volunteer.” Donghae’s auntie clapped her hands together and started tittering “Hyukjae seems like the type of young man who gets top of his class, no?”

Hangeng smiled like a proud father and leaned over, as if exchanging a recipe. “He was just about to ask Donghae to exchange numbers so that they can have a study session at his house!” Hyukjae glared at Hangeng’s dopey smile as Donghae’s auntie beamed at her nephew’s new found friend. “Very well! Donghae, I want you to take tomorrow off to go study with Hyukjae! For now, get back to work. I hope you gentlemen enjoy your meal!”

            As she shuffled away, Hyukjae shot daggers at his friends with his eyes. “You guys DO realize that I’m a freshman in College. I wouldn’t need to be at the Hagwon!” Heechul shrugged, “I’m sure college students can volunteer as tutors, right? Besides, I had to save your new friend’s neck.” Donghae blinked and cleared his throat. “Does this mean I should give you my number or was that just part of the ruse?”

            Hangeng laughed and reached up to ruffle Donghae’s hair. “I only added that part in because I thought you two would be cute together.” Heechul squealed and clasped his hands together. “You’re so right! These two would be PRECIOUS together!” Donghae and Hyukjae steamed as the couple started to giggle and debate over who would top.

“In case I didn’t mention, I’ve only met Donghae once before and that was beca-“ “I actually have to go!" Donghae interrupted, quickly scribbling on a piece of paper. "Enjoy your meal and I'll see you tomorrow!"

            Hyukjae stared as the brown haired boy shoved the torn paper in his hands and then scurried off. It was as if he didn’t want people to know he was crying in the theatres. Hyukjae furrowed his eyebrows and started to eat his bulgogi. He would just ask Donghae tomorrow why he insisted on acting so weird.

 

a/n I'm so sorry for the short chapter but I didn't want to have the pojangmacha scene to carry on any more than it absolutely had to laaaaaa - Naty