Part 7

Imperfect Pearl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Imperfect Pearl Part 7

 

 

Three months had passed since I left Japan and started living in New York, but it felt more like three years for me.

“For the new branch of our hotel in Osaka, we would promote it by signing a deal with several local tour agencies.”

I listened to the explanation from the marketing director in the New York headquarter of Yamada Corporation. I had been leading the meeting for the past hour, but I had to struggle focusing my attention to the topic they discussed because my mind often wandered by itself.

When the presentation ended, I decided to put onhold the next presentation from the branch managers. I asked them to leave the written report only to learn later, and that I would call them if I need more report or information.

Returning to my office, I slouched down the chair. The name display on the table spelled my position: Acting CEO. It was a crazy turn in my life that I, who was nobody but a peasant, ordinary finance officer several months ago, currently attained that prestigious position. Yamada Corporation. Their CEO position had been empty for sometimes until I was chosen to fill in the hole. Previously it was the place of Yamada Shun, the fourth husband of my mother, but Yamada Shun lost the position after being disowned by his parents for marrying my mother. After that, Yamada Hiroshi, the second and later declared as the only child, took the position, yet unfortunately he met an accident which led to his and his entire family death. Yamada Akai, the owner of the company, the father of Yamada Shun and Hiroshi, reclaimed the position, but since his health started deteriorating, he then had no choice but to turn to his disowned son, but found out that Shun was already dead.

I met Yamada Akai in one of the party my previous office held almost a year ago. I didn’t know at first that he was related to Yamada Shun. But a week after that he sent people to pick me up, telling me that he had interest in my competency in auditing. That first private meeting led to more meetings. Yamada Akai had a sharp and strict personality, and I felt that while discussing random things with me he had been observing and grading me. Perhaps my previous boss knew about the meetings that my career suddenly advanced faster and a few months after that I was appointed as the chief of audit bureau. But even before I became the chief, something even much greater had happened; something that I would wish to never know, but had eventually been forced to accept.

My cellphone buzzed notifying a new mail. I scrolled the screen down only to find that it was the reminder from Yamada house’s headbutler about the dinner with Yamada Akai tonight. The old man had chosen to stay in Japan, but had just arrived in New York this morning for his medical treatment. Truthfully, I did not enjoy my time with him; not when I still could not fully accept him as family.

Reminded of a family, I couldn’t help but think about Mirai and Sora. Previously, they were my family, and though there was no legal document stating otherwise yet, I could no longer call them as one.

I opened one certain folder in my phone where I saved Mirai and Sora’s pictures. Some of them were taken in candid, like the Mirai ones I took when she was deep asleep. I loved seeing her serene face, but I loved her smile more.

My heart ache as the memories from the past years flashed one after another.

“Are you doing well over there, Mirai? Sora-chan?”

I muttered as I shut the folder, could no longer bear the longing. Damn! I cursed inwardly. These past weeks I had been thinking much about them, moreover after what I had been told by my lawyer.

“Yamada-san, your wife makes a request to the court,” my lawyer reported two weeks ago.

“What request?”

“She asked to be allowed proceeding in absentia. She would send a representative if needed. And the court ask for your opinion whether you’re alright to proceed while your wife is not present.”

“What’s the reason?” I probed further.

“It was written in the letter that she had job outside the city in the week the court would be held.”

“She choose her job over the court?” I could not fathom.

“It’s your call whether to agree with the request or not.”

I had approved Mirai’s request. After waiting for about three months, our divorce register was finally given turn to be proceeded. Next week would be the final court, and I was somehow relieved that I did not need to meet Mirai. In fact, if she didn’t make the request, I myself had thought to do the same, asking permission to proceed with the court in absentia, but she beat me first.

The dekstop phone on my desk suddenly beeped.

“Yes?” I answered, slightly annoyed.

“Yamada-sama, your lawyer called when you were still in the meeting,” my secretary informed.

“Connect me to him,” I instructed.

Waiting for a few seconds, I was finally connected with my lawyer in Japan.

“What is it?” I directly asked.

“You instructed me to report if your wife uses the credit card,” Minato, my lawyer, answered.

“So, she did?”

“Yes, the account monitor said there was a large amount of drawing from your wife’s card, and it happened yesterday.”

“What else?”

“I have asked for the detail of transaction from the bank, and they said the bill came from Tokyo Hospital.”

“Hospital?” My brows knotted.

“Yes, do you want me to investigate further about it?”

“Aa, do it. Report to me soon.”

The report f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter