He made it special

One Baekhyun at a time

"F(x) = log (x/2) is the function we are going to analyze. First, we are going to calculate it's derivative." We started in math today, what a luck! Couldn't we have ethics or something where we could just follow the book? I had to squint hard to see what the teacher was writing on the board. Suddenly, I heard Baekhyun move his desk closer to mine. "You can't see what's on the board, right? You can follow with my notes." As he was talking, he put his note book between our desks so I could see what he was writing.
It was time for lunch and the girls were still looking at us. Do they think we know each other? Baekhyun wasn't moving or saying anything, am I supposed to eat lunch with him since we're like, neighbors? I really wanted to run away and avoid this awkward situation. Before I did anything, Mu Lan came to my rescue. I think I've never been that happy to see him, he was finally doing something smart. I don't want to be mean, but Mu Lan is known for his, well, stupidity. But that's why we love him.
"You are Baekhyun, right? I didn't know we were having a new student. I am Mu Lan"
"Mu Lan? Like the Disney movie? You are a Chinese student?"
"No, no, I'm Korean, my name is Shin Ye Sung, but since I look so much like the male version of Mu Lan, everybody has been calling me that, even my family." As they were talking, I stood up to leave discretely but Baekhyun was starring at me and so did Mu Lan.
"Where are you going like that?"
"Hyun Ah is waiting for me to eat lunch together, I have to go." As I said so, I almost ran out of the classroom and called Hyun Ah.

"He likes you, obviously. That's why he transferred to this school, asked to be in your class, sat next to you and scared you this morning."
"Maybe you could add he saw me in his dream and believes I am his soulmate?" I shook my head at Hyun Ah's excited face. How can she believe in stuff like that? Anyways, Baekhyun is just being nice but for an unknown reason, it troubles me. As if I know deep inside that something is bound to happen.
"Is this share for me? You brought me desert!" Hyun Ah's voice brought me back to reality.
"Why you always look into my lunch! You are not a kid anymore to steal my desert! But yeah, it is for you and leave the other one for Mu Lan." "Hae Jin you are just wasting your time at school. You should quit and open a pastry! This desert is out of this world! It's more than delicious! I might just eat Mu Lan's share; he doesn't deserve it." I quickly grabbed my lunch box and hid it behind my back.
"You are not getting anything, you sugar addict!" We always end up fighting over my deserts. Hyun Ah can be annoying, loud, mean and violent at times, all in a friendly way of course, but that's why I like her. Because sometimes, I wouldn't mind being like her.

 

When I came back, Baekhyun and Mu Lan were sitting together and talking. Maybe if they become friends, Baekhyun will leave me alone. Don't get me wrong, I would like to befriend him, I just don't want to receive all the hate because he chose me. People already don't like me here, if on top of that the future idol chooses me as his friend, I'm dead meat. Unless he behaves with me the same way he does with the other girls, they won't let me live long enough to graduate.
For our last class, we had free time to study with other classes so as usual, I was going to team up with Hyun Ah and Mu Lan, but Baekhyun stayed alone. Didn't he talk to anyone during lunch break? He seemed lost so I decided to be nice and invited him to join us, but just for today. "Baekhyun, you can join us if you want, since you don't have all the books."
We moved the desks around and Hyun Ah sat next to me while Mu Lan and Baekhyun were in front of us. We were doing our homework and everyone got stuck on one number. Since I could solve it, I explained it to them and Baekhyun looked amazed.
"If you ever have a problem with something, ask Hae Jin, she's our best student! She's even in the school's top 10 students! But she only helps with homework, not during exams." Mu Lan said, expecting us to laugh at his lame joke. He knows I don't want to be praised or receive a lot of attention, why is he saying this?
"Pfft... Even with her help you manage to fail. Stupid Shin Ye Sung, even if Hae Jin helped you cheat you would still fail". Hyun Ah said while shaking her head. Mu Lan replied something and they kept on arguing, like always. I decided to ignored them since I'm used to it, but Baekhyun was a bit perplexed, not understanding why I wasn't stopping them and it was very funny to watch.
I started laughing and I heard them say "It's not funny!" That's when we heard a loud noise right next to our table.
" I allow other students to come study here, not make a scene! If I hear you one more time, I'll kick you all out!"
The teacher kept slamming his stick on the floor while scolding us. Baekhyun looked annoyed that the teacher was scold us four and his expression was priceless. As soon as the teacher left, I couldn't suppress my laughter anymore. Soon, Baekhyun started laughing, then Mu Lan and Hyun Ah. Next thing I knew, we were sitting in the hallway with our arms held above our head with Mu Lan and Hyun Ah blaming each other for being punished. Well, our study session went to waste. I can't believe I have been kicked out by a teacher but somehow, I didn't care much. What happened to me? It must be because of Baekhyun, he's presence is the only thing that's different today.

 

I was at my locker changing my shoes when a familiar voice asked me
"How much did your glasses cost you? I can bring you the money tomorrow." Don't tell me his locker is also next to mine!
"It's really nice from you but I don't need your money, thank you." I closed my locker and walked outside but he followed me.
"Yes you do. I know you live off your part time job at a bakery and you have four siblings to take care of. It is not nothing to you."
I felt like I have been slapped. How does he know this? Mu Lan couldn't have told him, right? "Why do you know this? Who told you?"
"It's not Mu Lan don't worry. It's not important who told me, what's important is that you need this money."
"Then how did you find out? Do you stalk me? What do you want from me?"
"Oh no don't worry, I just happened to know someone who heard about you. I'm sorry if I scared you, I just want to help you."
I was going to leave but he spoke again. "I understand it all seems a bit weird because of how we met this morning, it's not the best impression you can get of me."
Then he held his hand in front of me "Hi, I'm Byun Baekhyun, the new transfer student, nice to meet you."
It looks like he's asking for a handshakes but there's no way I'm doing it, it's too formal and awkward
" Why do you care so much about helping me and why do you act so nice? You sat next to me, you moved your desk closer so I could follow with you. You even offered to pay for my glasses! Don't get me wrong, I'm not annoying and ungrateful but the only people who have been nice to me besides Hyun Ah and Mu Lan only wanted to use me. Nobody ever gets close to me at this school, let alone talk to me. So obviously, I will find you suspicious." He sighed and smiled at me, again.
"You remind me of someone I've met before. You look familiar so I felt more comfortable talking to you. I have no intention to use you, I'm not that kind of person."
He kept looking at me with an innocent smile on his face and I felt bad. He’s been nice with me all day long trying to make friends on his first day in this school and I’ve been quite harsh with him. I should give him a chance, after all, he hasn't done anything wrong. "300$. Since you insisted so much. Give me 400$ and I'll get mad, I'm not asking you for charity."

Since we left the school, we didn't stop talking. Well, he didn't stop talking, but I didn't mind. I've learned that his parents have a production company that makes commercials and dramas. They also have their own TV channel, it's like an all in one company. His parents became the main CEOs and since he got into SM, they considered moving to Seoul. He also lives around my house so we took the same bus.
"Have you heard about Yoon Si Seul? He was the CEO of Teo's world."
"Teo's world! Of course, I know Yoon Si Seul! I had so many toys from that brand. Our TV and other electronics were also from Teo's world. I heard that it went bankrupt after his son took over the business."
"Yoon Si Seul was my grandfather and his son who took it over was my father."
"You are Yoon Si Seul's granddaughter? When I was young, my parents told me he had a granddaughter my age and I wanted to be her friend so we could play with all the cool toys from the company! I'm happy I finally got to meet you."
I wonder why I have no problem telling Baekhyun about my grandfather. Usually, I don't talk about my family with people I barely know. Maybe it's because he already knows I don't have parents anymore?
"Anyways, since you live close to my house you can get down with me at the next stop, I'll show you the way."

As soon as we got down from the bus, I heard my name and two kids came running our way.
"Why didn't you go home already? You were waiting for me?"
"Bo Ram doesn't have homework today and since the weather is nice, we went to the park. You are not mad, right?"
I shook my head and that's when they noticed there was someone with me.
"Are you Hae Jin's new friend? My name is Bo Ram and I'm 8 years old. What's your name?"
"Nice to meet you Bo Ram. I'm Byun Baekhyun, I'm a new student in your sister's class."
"How old are you?" Baekhyun looked surprised by her question.
"Bo Ram has a weird obsession with people's age! He said we're in the same class Bo Ram, he's my age." Then I presented himWoohyun.
"He is 10 years old." Bo Ram added proudly. "Thank you Bo Ram, it's always good to know how old people are."
My sister looked really happy that someone understood her, it looks like Baekhyun is good with kids.
"Let's go pick up Sora and Yoonjae, they must be waiting for us."
On our way to the kindergarten, Bo Ram didn't stop talking with Baekhyun. Usually people just let her talk alone but he participated in the conversation with her and she was thrilled. However, I'm worried about Woohyun, he hasn't said anything besides asking about my glasses. Was he mad to see someone else with me? After picking up Sora and Yoonjae, we were on our way home. Yoonjae was sleeping in his stroller like always and Sora was walking next to me.
"Hae Jin, I think Bo Ram is trying to steal your friend, look they keep talking." Sora said while pointing at the two behind us.
"Don't worry Sora, he doesn't belong to me! He can be friends with all of you, don't worry." Sora is a really protective girl but she's only 5 years old, I'd better correct that behavior now before it's too late.

We finally got home and Bo Ram wouldn't let Baekhyun leave until he promised her to go drink bubble tea together tomorrow. Ms. Anh, our neighbor, had just came home and while the kids went to see her, I went to talk with Baekhyun.
"You know how to get home from here?"
"Yes I know, I've been once to a store around here." There was soon an awkward silence as if we were both waiting for the other person to say something. Maybe I should apologize for my behavior after school?
"I will get going now. It was nice meeting your siblings, I really enjoyed talking with Bo Ram. See you tomorrow at school."
He was leaving but I still had something to say.
"Baekhyun, wait!" He turned around and looked at me. I held my hand in front of me and said
"I didn't present myself yet. I am Yoon Hae Jin, 18 years old."
"Byun Baekhyun, also 18 years old." I hate hand shakes, it makes me feel quite awkward but this time, it was different.

Some things happened differently today. Things that made today, a special day. I don't know why it felt different but one thing is sure, it's all because of him. He made it special.

 


2nd chapter is done! I said I would upload it quickly, I apologize to my 1st subscriber yana7576. I hope you are following this story and you'll enjoy this chapter! Thank you so much for subscribing so quickly you really encouraged me :) I wanted to send you a message but I wasn't able to do it :/ I had some personal problems and I was really lost so it was hard for me to concentrate and finish this chapter :( I also apologize for this weird editing... I don't know what happened, the first chapter looked fine but this one is weird. Feel free to leave a comment I'll reply to every single one of them :) I'll try my best to finish and upload chapter 3 as soon as I can, I have my finals soon so it probably won't be uploaded before May, sorry :(