Chapter 3: The List

Our Dearest Sister [Currently Being Re-Written]

Hyunsoo, whose back was facing her homeroom teacher, turned at the sound of his familiar voice. She saw a corner of the teacher's lips tug upwards into an almost smirk, but it was as though he was holding it back.

 

"Well everyone, I am Park Yoochun, you're homeroom teacher for your freshmen year. Nice to meet you."

 


 

Hyunsoo narrowed her eyes at the smirk that was hidden behind Yoochun's friendly smile. She could tell that her female classmates didn't have a problem with Yoochun since they were all giggly and whispering amongst themselves. Hyunsoo heard snippets of what they were saying.

 

How can a man be so hot? I can't take my eyes off of him! OMG he looked at me!

 

With a roll of her eyes, Hyunsoo scoffed lightly, taking a good look at Yoochun. He was tall, with broad shoulders, and slightly muscled body under his button up white dress shirt and black pants.

 

He was attractive, she would give him that, but she has seen better. At that she laughed a little to herself, but covered it up as she brought her hand to fake cough into it.

 

Yoochun gave her a look that she didn't notice, just as the shrill ringing of the bell sounded in the hallways.

 

“Okay students of mine!” Yoochun raised his voice, gaining the attention of the group of freshmen. "Let's get to class," with that he began walking in the direction of his classroom.

 

Hyunsoo and Amber stayed at the back of the group as most of the girls went to huddle around Yoochun and the guys followed, some sneering at Yoochun while others didn't care.

 

"It seems as though you have nothing to worry about Hyunnie. Mr. Park didn't even acknowledge you when he introduced himself," Amber said stuffing her hands into her pockets.

 

Hyunsoo turned her head to look at her friend, before turning it back around to face straight ahead. "Yeah, I guess."

 

The duo stuck together as the hallways were crowded with upperclassmen changing classrooms. Hyunsoo didn't know that the school was this packed until she was basically pressed into Amber, who was still luckily besides her.

 

When their group passed a staircase, there were tons of students pushing past each other that one girl from Hyunsoo's homeroom got shoved towards the staircase.

 

The girl staggered and she let out a shriek as she didn't feel the ground beneath her anymore. She didn't feel the pain that one gets when they fall down a set of stairs, so her curiosity got the better of her and the girl opened her clenched eyes to see what had happened.

 

It was as if time froze around her as the girl stared up at her savior's face. The other had sandy brown hair under a backwards snapback, their blazer was open revealing a white dress shirt ed and a black graphic shirt underneath. Large eyes stared back at the girl in worry as the girl's savior brought her back up into a standing position.

 

The girl noticed her savior's lips moving, but she couldn't hear anything coming from the other.

 

"Oh my god Hyunsoo I think I broke her," Amber said, wide eyed. She was waving her hand back and forth in front of the girl's face, but the girl was just staring at her.

 

Hyunsoo sighed deeply, restraining herself from smacking Amber upside the head. Passing students stopped in their tracks to see where that loud shriek came from around the stairs.

 

Hyunsoo moved right next to Amber to get a look at the girl Amber had previously saved from falling down the stairs. Hyunsoo placed her right hand on the girl's forehead, then began to trail her hand down her face to her cheek. This action brought a pretty pink upon the girl's face and the girl began stumbling over her words.

 

"I-um um I-uh…" the girl was tripping over her words to find the right thing to say to the two guys in front of her.

 

"Ah she's so cute Hyunsoo!" Amber said as she hugged the girl close to her chest. "Can we keep her?"

 

The girl face seemed to glow a bright red at Amber's words as her face was met with a clothed chest. Hyunsoo, on the other hand, didn't even answer her best friend's question as she just waved her hand in the air and began to lead Amber and the girl away towards the direction their class was in.

 

Students parted a path for them to walk through and Hyunsoo just nodded at them in thanks. She really didn't like this, but it couldn't be helped because if it weren't for Amber's fast reflexes, the girl would be in a hospital instead of being led down a parted hallway with tons of people staring at her.

 

Once the three students caught up to the rest of their class, the girl pulled away from Amber's grasp. "I-uh um just want to thank you for saving me back there."

 

Before either of them could reply, the girl went on ahead and joined the rest of the class.

 

Amber gave big puppy eyes at Hyunsoo as she saw the girl walking alone in the group of freshmen. "Hyunsoo she got away," Amber whined.

 

Hyunsoo sighed for what felt like the hundredth time that day. "Maybe next time Amb," Amber nodded her head at her friend's words.

 

After what felt like forever, the group of freshmen and Yoochun arrived at the teacher's classroom. The group of students marveled at the supposed classroom. It wasn't an ordinary classroom though. It was far from an ordinary classroom. An ordinary classroom had wooden desks lined up in rows, with a teacher's podium at the front. An ordinary classroom had a chalkboard and erasers with cliché posters hung around the room to encourage people to be better people. An ordinary classroom was supposed to be a dull color and very boring.

 

This classroom had a whiteboard with dry erase makers and chemistry posters all around the walls, telling interesting information about the subject. This classroom had light maroon granite lab tables with sinks, Bunsen burners, and cabinets that were all locked. This classroom had student desks and a teacher's desk made of light mahogany wood. And this classroom was white except for the occasional light maroon touch every now and then. The light from the open windows amplified the brightness of the room.

 

Everyone was astonished to say the least.

 

All the students gathered into the classroom and were about to go sit at random desks, but Yoochun's voice stopped them from doing so.

 

"Ah, ah, ah my dear students. You have assigned seats," Yoochun made his way to his desk in the corner and picked up his booklet filled with his students' names. Groans were heard all around and Yoochun just grinned at his students. "This is only for a couple of days so that I can have the chance to know all your names and faces."

 

No one made any more noise as he began to name the students off while pointing to certain desks.

 

“Ahn Jiwoo, sit here,” Yoochun said while pointing to the first desk.

 

“Behind Jiwoo is Ah Yejun then is...” Yoochun continued.

 

After a while and more than half the class already seated in their seats Yoochun finally called Hyunsoo's name.

 

Hyunsoo took her seat behind a kid named Hanhae. Her stare lingered on him for a little too long because the next thing she knew she was walking straight into her desk. Hyunsoo's desk scraped across the tiled floor, creating a slight screech sound.

 

She hissed a bit in pain, and upon hearing a few snickers from her classmates, she bowed her head in apology before sliding into her seat behind the Hanhae guy.

 

"Alrighty then, behind Hyunsoo is Jung Soojung," the girl who Amber saved from falling, made her way to sit in the desk behind Hyunsoo.

 

After the girl, whose name is Soojung, broke away from Amber's grasp earlier, Hyunsoo kept an eye on the girl. Hyunsoo realized that Soojung didn't talk to any of the other freshmen in their class and she just kept to herself. Soojung went with the flow of the crowd and stayed alert as to not have a repeat of what previously happened.

 

But Hyunsoo guessed that Soojung was going too slow according to the next girl that was being called because the other girl, whose name was Ah Reum, shoved past Soojung to get to her seat.

 

Glad that her reflexes could rival Amber's, Hyunsoo quickly stood from her seat, making her chair topple over at the sudden movement, to catch Soojung from falling a second time.

 

Lean arms wrapped themselves around Soojung's body before she could hurt herself again. She gazed into a pair of dark eyes as the person chuckled softly in a slightly deep and husky voice.

 

"Careful there Soojung," Hyunsoo warned.

 

This guy… Soojung thought.

 

A light blush found its way onto Soojung's cheeks as Hyunsoo led Soojung to her seat, which was behind Hyunsoo's. The little pat to Soojung's head had multiple girls squealing, while some guys just scoffed.

 

Hyunsoo didn't pay them any mind as she went back to pick up her fallen chair and found Yoochun giving her a smug look. "So if you're done now Jung Hyunsoo, we can move onto the next and final row of students."

 

Sitting down in her seat, she leaned her back against her seat. Hyunsoo crossed her arms as she rolled her eyes at Yoochun's expression and tone.

 

She snapped out of her short daze as a person was bouncing their way towards their seat that was next to Hyunsoo's. And Hyunsoo just knew it was Amber without having to look at the exciting eyes facing her.

 

If Hyunsoo even took one look at Amber, she knew that the other would explode from the excitement of sitting next to each other. Hyunsoo smiled at the thought because it was already a miracle that they were in the same homeroom, now they were sitting next to each other.

 

At the sound of Yoochun's voice, Hyunsoo lifted her gazed that had drifted towards her desk. "Class, I really don't have anything prepared besides your schedules right here…" he said while holding up a stack of papers. "So you guys can just talk before going to your third period class at the sound of the bell, which is in about ten minutes."

 

Yoochun proceeded to pass out the schedules and immediately the students began to compare to see if they were in the same class.

 

"Hyunnie what are your next classes?" Amber's voice was full of anticipation as she scooched her chair closer to Hyunsoo's desk.

 

Instead of answering her hyper best friend, Hyunsoo just held out her schedule for Amber to snatch away. And the other did just that.

 

Amber greedily took a look at Hyunsoo's schedule and a wide grin was plastered on her face. "We have almost all of our classes together!"

 

Hyunsoo raised one of her eyebrows at Amber.

 

Almost all of our classes?...

 

Hyunsoo took back her schedule and Amber's to have a look at them herself. Huh. They had second through seventh period together, but they didn't see each other first period.

 

Amber was awaiting Hyunsoo's reply, but she was slightly shocked to see Hyunsoo turning around in her seat to slip Soojung's schedule out of her grasp.

 

The words that Soojung was about to say died into a small gasp at the sight of Hyunsoo smiling gently at her. The next words that came out of Hyunsoo's mouth surprised Soojung.

 

"Oh good, we have the same classes Soojung."

 

Amber was the first to react for she grabbed Soojung's schedule to have a look for herself. "We really do!" Amber confirmed standing up to hold the paper up to the light as if to get a better reading from it. "But I don't have Soojungie first period," Amber said dejectedly, plopping back in her seat.

 

"S-s-s Soojungie?" stuttered Soojung with a look of disbelief.

 

"Yeah Soojungie. That's what I am going to call you," Amber responded with a nod of her head. "Unless you don't like it?"

 

The puppy eyes that felt like they were piercing Soojung's soul were too much to handle. So with an exhale of breath she reassured the puppy, "It's okay. I like it."

 

"Yay!" Amber cheered as she began to talk to Soojung. Hyunsoo gazed at how Amber was slowly getting Soojung to open up. A small smile made its way to Hyunsoo's lips at the sight of Amber explicitly telling Soojung a story and the sudden shout of Yoochun to stop talking about such things, made Amber whimper and the rest of the class laugh out loud. But she continued with the story anyway, yet in a much more hushed voice.

 

Before any of them knew it, the sound of the bell ringing had everyone get up to try to find their way to their third period class. The newly established trio were one of the last students to file out of the chemistry classroom.

 

However, the trio didn't seem to notice the sets of glares that were aimed at a particular person as they made their way to their shared class.

 

Hyunsoo and Amber walked on either side of Soojung, seeing as she was the smallest out of all of them, down the hallways in search of their third period class.

 

"Do you guys know where we're going?" Soojung asked in a small voice at the two taller males.

 

Hyunsoo and Amber both looked at each other before setting their gaze on Soojung. "I thought you knew," they said at the same time.

 

Soojung sighed at their chorused reply and began to search for signs to lead them in the right direction. Seeing Soojung struggle to try and look over people was kind of cute to watch, but Hyunsoo knew that they would be counted as tardy if they were late to their next class.

 

So with a deep breath, Hyunsoo reached out to a kind looking upperclassman to stop her. "Um excuse me sunbae?"

 

At the unexpected hand on her arm and the slightly deep and husky voice calling out to her, the upperclassmen turned away from her conversation with her friends and towards the person. A soft gasp escaped her at the sight of two handsome underclassmen staring at her with expectant eyes.

 

"Y-yes?" the girl cursed herself for stuttering at the attractive juniors.

 

Hyunsoo smiled gratefully that this upperclassman was nice and asked, "Do you happen to know where room A123 was?"

 

It took a moment for the female upperclassman to respond because the small dimple shown when Hyunsoo smiled almost had her swooning. She thanked the heavens that she didn't though because that would have been embarrassing.

 

In the most cool, yet nicest voice she could muster, the upperclassman said, "Yeah. A123 is down this hall and to the right."

 

"Thank you sunbae," Hyunsoo bowed her head, thankful towards the older girl. She, then, went back to Amber and Soojung to tell them where their next class was.

 

The upperclassman watched as Hyunsoo and her friends went in the direction she pointed out. The upperclassman's friends immediately surrounded her after they just witnessed what had happened.

 

"Girls, I think that we should add those two underclassmen to the List."