Trying not to make too many enemies before even starting

How to not fail at your first job. [UNDER REVISION]

 

Chapter 2:

Trying not to make too many enemies before even starting.

*Jungkook POV*

 

That happened on Friday. I went home and got there just in time, 6:24pm. I told Aunt Luna that I got the job and she congratulated me. Bam Bam was at his friend, Youngjae’s, house for the weekend so I went downstairs to the basement were my room was. I know, it sounds bad, me being put in the basement but Uncle Onew fixed it all up and made it look like any other room and I prefer the basement anyways. I have time to be alone with my thoughts, which may or may not be a good thing, and also my room is rather large with hardwood flooring so I can practice my dancing.

I went down stairs right after getting a box of pocky out of the cabinet. I threw my bag on my bed, walked to my desk to switch on my speakers and hooked up my MP3 player to it, pausing to open the pocky box and take a stick out. I clicked a playlist and set the MP3 player on the desk. A random song started playing, filling the room with sound and I nodded along with the music, crunching the last of the first stick and stating a second. Across from my desk was my bed, unmade because nobody has time for that, especially me. Beside my bed was a dresser with clothes hanging out of the drawers. The opposite side of the room was bare of furniture and most of the wall was the wide mirror sliding door to my closet.

I walked over to the mirror and looked at myself swallowing the last of the second stick of pocky. Pasty, scrawny, lanky. Nope, I hadn’t miraculously gotten attractive overnight. I sighed. Aunt Luna says I shouldn’t feel bad about how I look, that I am a handsome young man and don’t have to worry about looks because it’s what is on the inside that counts. I knew that, everyone knows that. But I couldn’t help but wonder, how are people going to get close enough to know the “inside” me if they won’t approach the “outside” me.

I shook my head and sighed again. I decided I didn’t want to think about that right now. The song ended, getting replace by an upbeat song with heavy bass. I grinned, then quickly kicked the dirty clothes on my floor out of the way while taking off my jacket and tossing it on top of my bag.

I didn’t know the actual choreography to the song to I just made up my own, my body moving however it felt fit the song. I knew all the songs on my MP3 word for word, note for note, and beat for beat. The only thing I like about myself is my dancing.

I continued dancing through the next song, and the one after that, and the one after that and so on until I heard a knock at my door. I turned down the music and opened the door. Aunt Luna was there.

“Yes, Aunt Luna? Is my music too loud?” I asked, really hoping I wasn’t going to get lectured about my music… again.

“No, no its fine, Kookie. I couldn’t even hear it up stairs. I just wanted to let you know that dinner is done.” Aunt Luna smiled at me, looking me over. I probably looked like a gross sweaty mess. “Dancing again?” I nodded, noticing just how hard I was breathing. “When are you going to dance for us, Kookie?” She teased, knowing I would shrug off the idea, which I did raising an eye brow. “Okay, okay fine. I will go back upstairs and stop bugging you, but you need to come up and eat before your food gets cold." I nodded again and closed the door.

I turned off my speakers and MP3 before going upstairs.

That’s basically how the rest of the weekend went except that Bam Bam came home Sunday. He was all tuckered out because he and Youngjae had been playing in the snow all day at the park downtown, so he just came home, said goodnight and went to bed. I followed suit about an hour after him, hoping I could wake up on time for once if I went to bed early. I stared at the ceiling until I dozed off, as per usual.

Apparently I need to stop hoping things will go right because they never do.

 

 

.   .   .  

 

I woke up to the sound of Bam Bam yelling at me.

 “Jungkook! I swear to god, I am not coming down here a fourth time to wake you up! You can miss the bus for all I care!” I opened my eyes and groaned, closing then again. How many times did I have to tell Bam Bam I had sensitive eyes and flashing the lights on and off repetitively wasn’t a great way to make me wake up. I heard him stomp back up the stairs. He wasn’t a morning person.

Wait, wake me up a 4th time? I looked at the clock on my nightstand and swore. It was 7:45am, we had to be out waiting for the bus at 8:10am. I threw the blanket off and swore again. Damn, it was cold. Usually I only wear a thin tank top and gym shorts to bed and last night was no different but tonight maybe seeing how fast my entire body got goose bumps, I should wear my jacket to bed. I need to remind Uncle Onew to get me a heater for down here. Or I could just buy one with my first paycheck.

, that’s right I had orientation today.

I ignored the cold floor and rushed over to my closet, sliding about 3 feet and nearly dying thanks to yesterday’s clothes being tossed hazardously on the floor. I threw on a plain navy blue t-shirt over my tank top and tugged off my shorts to pull on some lose fitting dark jeans. I spun around and walked over to my dresser, struggling with my belt at the same time, not paying attention and miscalculating how big my feet were and stumping my foot on the edge of my bed.

“Ouch!” I whispered, hopping on one foot and still fighting with my belt.  I swear, stumping your toe is the worst pain you could ever feel.

I finally got my pants buckled and reached into the already open drawer, pulling out two mix-matched socks, not that any of my socks actually match. I pulled them on and tried to find my shoes, they liked to play hide and seek on the days I was late. I found the right one under my bed and the left under the dresser and pushed my feet into them. I grabbed my jacket, ing my arms through the sleeves and slung my bag over my shoulder. Sparing a glance at the clock, I saw it was 7:57am I relaxed a little bit and headed up stairs.

Only to turn around half-way up the stairs because I forgot my wallet and my MP3 player. I found my wallet on my bed, my MP3, shocker, hooked up to the speakers and as I scanned the room for other missing objects I noticed the half eaten box of pocky from Friday. I shrugged and grabbed it, munching on one as I went up the stairs. I swung my the bathroom, brushed my teeth, washed my face, straightened my hair and applied a little bit of eyeliner before Bam Bam was complaining again about us missing the bus and how I could never leave the house on time. For being 2 years younger than me he sure did act like he was my mom.

I paused with the eyeliner pencil in my hand at that thought, my chest felt tight. But I quickly pushed away the memory. I didn’t want to think about it right now.

I ignored Bam Bam’s complaining and walked out of the bathroom, passed where he was making his vegetarian lunch and walked out the door to catch the bus.

 

I won't go through every grueling hour of my school day with you but to summarize, it was uneventful and mediocre. First period I sat in the back of the class and took notes, munching on the pocky. Second, third and fourth were the same as the first except I ran out of pocky during 3rd period. Lunch was just me sitting there watching my ever so popular, multi-colored hair cousin interact with all his friends until I got tired of it and went to the library. I miss the feeling of having friends. To my cousin's friends, I am simply "Bam Bam's cousin” Or “Kookie" if they were asking for something or mocking my nick name. Ninth graders . Fifth period I was cooking, sixth I was in an online credit recovery course, seventh was the same as sixth and finally 8th was, once again, taking notes.

I immediately walked over to Value Guys after what felt like the longest day ever at school. I walked in side while putting away my MP3, secretly hoping that Suga wouldn't be there. Alas, the redhead was there and with barely anyone in the place, he immediately focused on me. He shot me a devilish smirk and I shuddered, avoiding eye contact.

Definitely need to stop hoping on things. It never works out.

 My stomach however didn't notice my reaction to the redhead and growled, a hunger pang starting right above my belly button and running down my sides. I forgot to bring a snack today for after school and was regretting it now.

I knew there was no way I could make it through orientation without eating. So I begrudgingly walked up to the counter, avoiding the cocky stare of the redhead. Maybe he was going to just let it go?

"What do you want, trouble maker?" Suga said in a mock pleasant tone. Nope, he wasn’t going to let it go. I glanced to the side nervously, looking for Ravi, Jin or even Jimin to help me but they weren't in sight. I was worried for my life seeing as the place was pretty bare of people and this guy certainly didn't like me.

"Uh, I-I am here for orientation... b-but I'm kind of early and need to order." I cursed myself for stuttering but there was nothing I could do about it now. Suga scoffed and I felt about an inch tall.

"So you got the job, huh? That means we will be seeing each other a lot more." He didn’t exactly sound thrilled. I saw his hands enter my view and press against the counter as he leaned forwards. "Isn't that nice?" He hissed. I took a step back biting my lip and looking at the floor, not knowing what to do.

"Suga, what is wrong with you?" An annoyed voice called. We both turned to look at the owner of the voice, someone I had never seen before. He was average height with tan skin and deep red hair. He had a scowl on his mouth, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Oh, nothing, N. Just welcoming the newbie." Suga said with mock innocence. N approached us and shook his head.

"I heard you, Suga. That wasn't welcoming, you just succeeded in being rude to a guest and losing any respect I had for you. I am moving you to the back drive-thru." N said and Suga scoffed.

"I told you I won’t work back there anymore." Suga said.

"And I am shift manager today and I am telling you to go to back drive. Someone else will cover for you, even if it's me. Go." N pointed out to the back for emphasis. Suga looked at him incredulously then shot me a glare that screamed this isn't over before storming to the back of the store. I gulped and looked at the ground, wincing. N spoke.

"I am so sorry about him. I am N, what is your name." N switched from 'get the out of my face' to 'howdy partner' in .2 seconds and it startled me. I blinked and looked up, blushing slightly at the thought that so far 3 people have had to apologize to me.

"J-Jungkook." I mumbled. N's eyes widened as he looked at my full face for the first time.

"Oh my- you must be the cutie Ravi mentioned! You are too cute!" N flailed his arms a bit and squealed before regaining some of his composure. I was confused, Ravi called me cute? "So orientation is at 5 so you have about 30 minutes, would you like to order something?" Before I could answer, my stomach growled and I blushed deeper and nodded. N chuckled and nodded, too. "Okay, do you know what you want?"

"Uhm," I looked at the menu board overhead and bit my lip, debating. "I want a chicken sandwich." I said and N pressed a button.

"Is that all?" N asked and I hesitated for a moment, I wanted ice-cream. Would that look to childish? I decided I didn’t care, after making a new enemy and ruining my mood for the day, I needed a pick me up. I wanted some dang ice-cream.

"And one ice-cream cone." I said, "Do you have the swirly type?" I forgot the proper name for it and apparently N thought my improvisation was the funniest thing because he started laughing really hard.

"Aigoo, this kid. Yes, we do. Is that all?" I nodded, reaching or my wallet but N waved his hand in a stopping motion. "I got you. It's the least I can do after the way he treated you." N punched in some buttons and a receipt printed out, which N just took and shoved in his pocket. "Go ahead and grab a seat, I will call you over when it's ready." N smiled at me and I bowed.

"Thank you, N-sshi." I said and N shook his head.

“It’s N-hyung to you.” He winked at me. I smiled at him.

“Thank you, N-hyung.” I said quietly before walking off to my loner table and sitting down. I opened my bag and got out the book I checked out from the library earlier that day and dug through my pocket to pull back out my MP3. I plugged in my ear buds but only turned up the volume half way, only the right one in my ear so I could hear for when N called. Opening my book, I found my page and continued reading. I had only just started the book but I was addicted to it. The main characters were twins a boy and a girl who apparently had magical powers and had to be protected by the legendary alchemist, Nicholas Flamel, from the bad guys.

A few minutes later, N's voice pulled me out of my book and went up to grab my food, thanking him again. I noticed that the lobby was quickly populating. I saw an older man looking at me funny so I rushed back to the table to avoid random small talk with strangers. I ate quickly, the warm sandwich feeling good on my empty stomach, and continued reading as I lapped at my ice-cream. Soon after I was done, a familiar voice pulled me out of my book again. I looked up and saw Eunhyuk walking over to me.

I smiled and waved at him, pulling out my ear bud, pausing my music and glancing at my page number before closing my book. I took a deep breath.

Here goes the first step into adulthood, my first job.

And I am nowhere near ready.

 

 

 


A/N: And the second chapter is done! A big thanks to BBC4Life17 and guardian_angle274 for subscribing AND commenting, it means a lot to me. Sorry, if Suga seems mean but that's just how I see him in this story. But he spices things up a bit for Kookie so why not? And bonus point for whoever knows what book i was refering to, I will keep mentioning it until some one gets it. think of it as a little game. :) Anywho, now that most of the boring stuff is out of the way, I am going to get working on the third chap so I can post this one soon lol. xD Comment, subscribe, upvote if you really wanna. :3 Let me know how I am doing.

 

P.S. If I get bored or creative over winter break i may slip a bonus chapter off two in between some of the chapters, stuff like everyone else's points of views and stuff so if you would like that let me know. :3

 

-DarkBlossom<3