Getting the the background out of the way.

How to not fail at your first job. [UNDER REVISION]

Chapter 1:

Getting the background out of the way.

 

*Jungkook POV*

 

“Here goes nothing.” I mumbled to myself, walking up the parking lot of Value Guys, a renowned fast food place in my new town.

I am a new senior at Big Hit High School, I honestly think whoever came up with the name for that school should be shot. But hey, why not add funny name of my new school to the list of things that went wrong this year. First, my grandma, the one I lived with, passed away forcing me to choose whether I was going to go back to living with my drunkard father and his - I mean my step-mother or my Aunt Luna, Uncle Onew and Cousin Bam Bam. I chose the lesser of two evils and moved in with my family members that aren't drunken pricks. What about my mom, you may be wondering... she's... she's gone.

I went into a little depressed state for the 2 weeks until I had to move in with them but then I got better. I still miss my Grandma, though.

The first reason is part of the second, seeing as because of me having to move I had to leave all my friends and my old school, during my senior year.

Yup, just great.

Finally, as if my life couldn’t possibly get better, no matter how hard I try, no one wants to be my friend. So, I went from happy-go-lucky with a ton of friends and a great school to a loser nobody with no friends at a school that no one cares about you.

Awesome.

I have been here for about a month and a half since I actually started school. It took 2 and a half weeks just to get registered because the school system need to know exactly why I didn’t live with my dad.

That was fun.

Anyways, I decided I needed a job. I had never even had a phone, and I am a senior. And with me getting my license soon, I need to save up for my first puddle-jumper. So I looked for a fast food place and literally didn’t have to look far at all.

It was right across from my new school so I decided to stop by on my walk home. I could ride the bus with Bam Bam home but I needed exercise. I was getting pudgy due to not having anything to do but sit at home and where as dancing in my free time is great, a long walk home couldn't hurt.

I nearly gave up when it started snowing during 5th period. My thin tattered jacket could probably help keep me from getting sick but I was a bit wary. When the final bell had rung, I had made up my mind that I was going to brave the cold and go over to the fast food place and put in an application because if I do it today, I know myself well enough to know it would never get done.

Walking in, I was embraced with a nice warm atmosphere. The interior was modern in a comfortable way, secluded tables in the back for anti-social people, me, and big tables for those people who actually have friends, unlike me.  The front counter was nice and clean, I could see 3 people up front, a short guy with his hat on backwards at the drive-thru, a tall, rather attractive man bagging orders and handing them out, and a short, pale, very unhappy looking guy at the register taking a big family’s order.

I pressed pause on my MP3 player and pulled my ear buds out and stood in line behind the family for about 2 minutes before they finally shuffled as a unit out of the way. I took a deep breath, smiled really big and stepped forward.

“Hi, I am Jeon Jungkook. Can I speak to a manager?” I said happily to the pale boy with fire engine red hair. He sighed, in what appeared to be relief and annoyance at the same time, before taking a step back from the register.

“Jin, can you ask Ravi to come here for me?” His voice shocked me a bit because it was lower than I expected and he had a lisp, which I might have thought was cute if his constant glare didn’t make me uncomfortable.

Jin, the one who was bagging orders, glanced at the red head then at me and nodded. “Jimin,” Jin called softly, the drive-thru guy pulled himself back in the window, blushing. I assume he was flirting and got caught. “Finish bagging this.” Jin said not even bothering to scold Jimin before disappearing into the back of the building. Jimin rushed over to finish the order, glancing at me. He paused, giving me a once over and grinning before continuing what he was doing.

Jin came back with a though looking guy with blue hair who I guess would be Ravi. Jin grabbed a bag and started bagging again and Ravi looked at the red head, who pointed at me. Ravi looked at me, putting on a “please don’t have a complaint” smile.

“What can I do for you?” He had a really deep voice, too.

“I am Jeon Jungkook.” I smiled really big. “I was wondering if I could get an application.”

“Sure,” Ravi said chuckling, at what I don’t know. “I will be right back.” And after disappearing to the back again, he returned with an application. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” I said accepting it. I looked around for a clock but didn’t see one. “Uhm, do you know what time it is?”

“16:43” The red head said smirking. I looked at him blankly. Ravi caught on quickly and glared at the red head.

“Sorry about him, Suga likes to be a pain. It’s 4:43- 4:44 now.” Ravi said and the red head, Suga, huffed approaching the register as a new crowd came in.

“Thanks.” I said. My family wouldn’t expect me home till about 6:30 and with about 30 more minutes of walking home to do I decided to occupy a back table and fill out the application. It went rather quickly because my Aunt had helped me the night before for what to write down and soon I was back up at the front counter. I saw Ravi was in back and he nodded at me and held up a finger for one second. Suga raised an eyebrow at me.

“You again?” He looked like he smelled something bad. My heart hurt. I had managed to make someone else hate me by just existing. Great job, Kookie.

Luckily, Jin was listening and walked over. “Suga, shut up. He did nothing to you.” Jin turned to me with an apologetic smile. “Sorry,” He saw the application. “You want to turn that in?” I nodded and handed it to him just as Ravi walked up. Jin started reading over the application.

“Suga, its 16:58 you can clock out.” Ravi said in a voice you would threaten someone with.

“Finally.” Suga punched out and glared at me before going into the back area.

“Hello again, Jungkook. Here to turn this in?” He asked looking over Jin’s shoulder. I nodded again and Ravi grinned. “Well, you have great timing ‘cause Eunhyuk, our hiring manager is in back and I think he would be free to interview you right now.” My eyes widened.

“Already?” I asked. I wasn’t expecting an interview that quick. I started panicking a bit

“Sure, Jin, will you go back there and get him?” Jin nodded and left. “So, you are a senior over at Big Hit?” I nodded. “You are new here?” I nodded again. “You just recently turned 17 and this is your first job?” I nodded again. “You nervous?” He grinned and I nodded again, eyes big. “Don’t worry Eunhyuk is really nice.”

“Yah, Ravi! You aren’t supposed to say that! Say the lines I gave you!” A blonde man with a long nose came out of the back followed by Jin who, you guessed it, went back to bagging orders for drive-thru.

“Eunhyuk is a horrible he-devil that eats small children who stay out too late.” Ravi said rolling his eyes and Eunhyuk nodded satisfied.

"Hi, I am Eunhyuk. If you wanna take a seat right out here," Eunhyuk gestured to the back where my stuff already was and took the application from Ravi, "I will take this and we can do this interview." I nodded and followed Eunhyuk to a table.

He stretched, cracked his neck and took a deep breath before speaking. "So, Jeon Jungkook, a senior at Big Hit, who was born on September 1st, 1997 with no prior job experience and is available after school until 10pm, any time on Saturdays and starting at any time on Sunday's till 10pm, why do you want to work here?" Eunhyuk rattled off in one breath and my eyes widened.

"I-I, uhm..." I paused, feeling my cheeks burn, glancing behind Eunhyuk I could see Ravi and Jimin eavesdropping on us. I took a deep breath and decided to be brutally honest. "I need money. It's my senior year and I have never had a phone, I and getting my license soon but won't have gas money and I am hoping on moving out of my Aunt's house after I graduate. So I was walking home and decided to stop by and fill out an application."

"I am so glad you didn't try to give me the 'I love this place and want to work here forever' line I hear from high school students." Eunhyuk said, looking pleased. "Well, I like you, kid. So since this will be your first job, we will just have to get you trained and see how you do. If you do good, awesome. If you decide this isn't your thing, no hard feelings. Orientation is Monday at 5pm. Don't be late." And with that, Eunhyuk left.

I sat there stunned for a few moments. I am hired? Just like that? Cool. This was a good idea. I gathered my things and walked towards the door to head home.

"See you Monday, Jungkook!" I heard Ravi call and I shot a friendly smile at him and waved over my shoulder. I might actually make friends here.

This was a really good idea.

 

 


A/N: Woot first chapter done!  Sorry for it being so short but I really tried to make it long, I promise. Comment, it helps me get inspired to continue! And a big thanks to melonaide for being the first and possibly only subscriber EVER!

DarkBlossom<3