Chapter 2

❣ Only The Beginning

You had called Joonmyun an hour ago to tell him that the test results were in, it had taken a day longer then you had hoped for but the most important thing was that now you knew what was wrong that you could move forward and look for a solution. He had assured you that he would come over right away so now you were waiting for him in the child room, it was a place where you could always find your peace and that would still be able to make you happy even though the kids in here were sick. You were playing with the little kids, trying to make them laugh and make them feel happy. It must truly to be stuck in a hospital every single day so you tried to make them feel better. You pinched a little boy his cheeks as your beeper went off, the sign that you had to get back to work, sometimes you hated that beeper, especially during your lunch break. You quickly pushed the button before heading to the lobby, seeing Nina and Joonmyun waiting for you. Nurse Lee smiled at you as she handed you their file again and you quickly thanked her and caught your breath.
 

"Hey beautiful, why are you looking so pretty today?" You ruffled her hair and she giggled cheerfully, you always tried to make these kids become your friends in the hope they wouldn’t think of it as a bad thing to come and see you. "She just came from a birthday party. That's why it took me so long, I still had to pick her up, I'm sorry." Joonmyun said but you waved his apology away and told him not to worry about it. It was important for her to still enjoy the times that she could do those kind of things. "And did you have fun Nina?" She nodded and started to tell you everything that had happened at the party. You listened to her stories while you made your way through the hallways to your office again, letting them in and closing the door behind Joonmyun. She seemed much more talk active than the last time so that was a good start, seemed like you had made a good first impression.

 

He seemed to enjoy the fact to see his sister chat with you. He liked to watch how you and Nina got along so well and he knew there was something special about you. You were surely one of the prettiest doctors he had ever seen and he didn't deny that you must be very smart, he had always had an eye for smart girls since his parents were teachers, so his parents would also like you. He just didn't have the guts to ask you out since he was just a normal guy and wasn't even half this smart as you, or that was what he thought, well at least he wasn’t smart enough to become a doctor. He sighed softly as he followed all your movements, not able to keep his eyes off of you. Nina caught him staring at you and he quickly put his finger over his mouth to say that she shouldn't tell, if you would know he would be so embarrassed.

 

Luckily he had a good sister and she understand what he was trying to say to her. You noticed how Nina giggled because of something Joonmyun had done and just smiled even though you had no idea what was going on, after all you didn’t have to know everything that was going on in between the two of them, even though it did make you curious. You continued to do your job as you looked up at Joonmyun who was sitting on a chair. Joonmyun sent you one of his perfect eye smiles and you couldn't help but grin at him, feeling your cheeks getting hot. He could make you feel hot within one second, he had a weird effect on you. "Nina, would you like to go and play with the other kids for a moment?" You asked, realizing that could be a good way for her to spend her time, you needed a brief moment alone wither her brother. She nodded enthusiastic and you laughed and told her where she had to go, she didn’t seem to noticed anything strange which was a good thing, you didn’t want her to worry too much now. She left the room so you were alone with Joonmyun and he knew you hadn't sent her off without a reason.

 

You bit your lip as you looked up at him so your eyes met and his expression looked sad now, knowing that you didn't had good news for him, if you had then you wouldn’t have sent Nina away in the first place. You could begin to tell stories now but what did it matter, you could better just come to the matter of fact and tell him what was going on, there was no reason to make it look better than it was. You decided to just get it over with and not make him wait any longer, it had to be said anyway. "Joonmyun-ah, Nina...she has cancer, I'm so sorry." His mouth opened but only a small breath came out, tears jumping in his eyes as he proceeded the information, it was so hard for him to understand. Out of all the things that could be wrong with her he had hoped it wouldn’t be cancer, but of course it had to be. "I already thought so when you told me what was wrong with her but the tests confirmed it." He nodded and did his best not to cry in front of you, he hated it to be weak. "Now we have to do a scan to see where the problem is and then we can watch or we can remove it or not."

 

Joonmyun’s hands trembled as he brought them up to cover his eyes, he was completely in shock. "God..." His voice was high as he spoke, he hadn't expected this. "I'm so sorry." You felt so bad for him and you wanted to do anything to make him feel better again, but everyone knew that you were also only human and you couldn’t achieve miracles. You loved to see his smile, and now you had made him sad, you felt terrible. "No, thank you. Thanks for telling me, for helping, you're only doing your job." You nodded, he was right you only did your job but you felt like it wasn't enough, you wanted to solve this problem so badly, you wanted to make it all better and because you couldn’t you felt weak. "Joonmyun-ah, if you want to ask something or need someone to talk to, call me. Sometimes it's easier to talk to someone you don't know, they don’t judge you that easily." He tried to smile but failed big time, his lips shivering. "I wanted to give you the chance to tell her, so I sent her away." You explained.

 

"Thanks." He raised from his chair and sighed deeply. "I guess then I should go and tell her...and my parents." You were shocked to see a tear roll down his cheek, you had noticed that he had tried very hard to hold it in and to see him cry in front of you, it was so sad. You couldn't stop yourself as you stood up and walked to his side of the desk to hug him, you know it wasn’t going to make everything right but hopefully it could make him feel a little bit better. You were almost surprised when he wrapped his arms around you and answered your hug, sobbing in your neck softly, letting his emotions out little by little. You didn’t mind, you had seen much worse in this place. "Joonmyun-ah, I can't promise you that everything will be alright. But I swear that I will do everything I can to save your sister." You were honest this time, you didn’t know if you could safe her, maybe it was already too late. But if there was anything you could do than you would do it.

 

His grip tightened around you and you felt his heart beating fast together with yours against your chest. "Thank you _______-ah, thank you!" He sounded so desperate and it made you feel even more sorry for him. You let him go and he wiped his tears away as fast as he could in the hope you wouldn’t see them. "Wauw, I'm sorry for that." He chuckled but you shook your head. "Don't even mention it, I've seen many things before and that was a cool reaction if you ask me." He nodded and smiled at you before he left. You stared at him as he went to get Nina and faked a smile, giving you one last look before he turned around and walked away, leaving you behind with a heavy heart.