Chapter 8

Сoncealed Ιdentity (Hiatus)

Chapter 8 – [1800]

The sun’s rays beamed over the heads of lively citizens and in the gist of a lively crowd, an absolute aura of nothing but darkness could be felt by the people as three unfamiliar figures passed through. One of the three was mounted on a brown horse, he was a man entirely in black and his two followers, who were on foot, wore the same color.

A follower of his was an adult foreign male who stood tall on his two legs. Despite the similarly hair color he shared with the dirt, he was a lad with a clean shave and haircut, and in comparison to the people his chin would meet their foreheads. Lastly the third member to complete the triad was that of a child. The youth was a boy with a developed keen jawline that made him look older than his age, ten. His inky hair was long and left to coat his attached earlobes.

Their walk soon led them away from the heavy crowd and to a less partied dirt road that ran to the outside boundaries of Jongno. The trio traveled down the center of the road, where a grassy hill was to their right and housings to their left. Ahead of them was a group of six boys messing around with an ant hill, the males laughed as they stomp on the colony of insects and set down sticks to block the line of ants with food on their backs. A wave of silence came over the boys as they noticed the smaller party,  especially the man on the horse who gave off a more frightening, fearful aura to the boys. But as he was the first to pass, the eyes of the children turned to the kid who had fallen behind but was next to strode by.

One of the boys picked up an uneven shaped pebble and threw it at the boy, missing just his back. “Haven’t you people ever heard of clothes? What on earth are you three wearing? Leftover coals?” The kid responsible for the rock mocked and quickly the laughters of his friends rose to encourage his action. But none of the three cracked a smile, even after coming to a stop just to look at the boys. “What are you all looking at?” The boy asked in a more serious tone, then continued to scorn them, “This is the first time I have ever seen a kid on foot following an old man on a horse! How funny!” The kid bursted into laughter along with his buddies.

The single boy took a step forward, and without a word he came forth and kicked the laughing boy onto the ground. The laughter from each individual came to a hasty end as the width of their eyes expanded due to shock. The foreigner hoped to step in and stop them, “Wootae don’t—” but was interrupted by the man on the horse.

“Daniel,” the rider began, “don’t do anything and just watch.”

The man on foot took a glance up at the other, “But Lord Inpyo—” The outsider was ignored when the mounted continue to eyeball the children.

The boy by the name of Wootae dropped a knee onto the chest of the grounded boy and pulled out a knife strapped around his forearm. Without a true purpose he came close to ending the boy’s life, by attempting to stab the boy right through the chest. But to prevent him from feeling any regret or guilt later on, the foreigner couldn’t stand watch anymore and called out for the boy to stop, “Wootae! Don’t do it!” The bony, small pale hand clutched around the knife came to a halt and stayed in midair, then quickly the boy under Wootae squirmed his way out and fled with his friends screaming in horror. Daniel’s, the foreigner, shoulders was seen rising and falling when Wootae caught a good look at him. Wootae knew Daniel was more scared for him then the man was for himself. After all Daniel has never been a fan of violence. 

On the other hand Inpyo wore a delighted and entertained smug. “Well done,” Inpyo said to the boy, “do not ever overlook those who pick on you. Show them no mercy. Drown them in remorse for messing with you.” The foreigner look from Inpyo to the youth and waited to see Wootae’s reaction, but there were none when the boy only stood up in silence to put his knife away before joining them, “Let’s head back.” Inpyo said booting the side of the mammal's stomach with his heels to make it walk. Daniel sighed, he was strongly against the words of the rider but could not utter any protests.

Across from the walls of Jongno was a steep river that flowed at a decent, slow pace. On the other side of that river was the home of Inpyo’s assassins crew of fifty men in total. They have made the cave under the mountain their home. Inside consisted of mostly nothing but rocks and fabrics used to cover rocky surfaces as seatings and beddings. The only decoration used to lighten up the mood of the dark cave were bright-colored fabrics that hung from the ceiling of rocks. And the only light came from wan lamps hooked to the rocks curvy edges or holes in the walls. To one side of the spacious room was a stair made of unevenly stones that led to a room, on the second floor, hidden behind a door made of strands of beads. Across from the main entrance was a pathway that allowed access to the top, back, of the mountain which was planted one hundred feet above the cave’s ground. At the top was a wild forest, where Inpyo’s assassins has used as training and hunting grounds.

Twenty assassins were split into two equal rows on their knees, where they greeted and exposed the crown of their heads to the entering trio. “We welcome you back, Lord Yeo Inpyo, Young Master Yeo Wootae, and Master Henney Daniel!” The men shouted in place. The power of their voices echoed through the cave. Soon, Inpyo stirred the silence that followed by dismounting and in unison one of the man got up to take charge of grabbing hold of the horse’s snaffle rein, refraining it from taking off. Off to one side Taeyo came out to address their return. “Lord Inpyo.”

Inpyo revealed a tired smile, “It’s been a while.”

“Yes, how was your journey?” Taeyo asked then quickly cut to the chase when Inpyo responded with a simple nod, “Actually, there’s something you need to hear first,”

“What is it?” Inpyo asked after seeing the look on Taeyo’s face. It was obvious that the emotionless Taeyo was in distress.

Taeyo leaned in to explained the details of his discomfort, “It appears a large herd of wild horses that has originated from China’s territory is on the loose and has made their way into the forest. I thought we should take action immediately and get rid of them before their scent lure any tigers up here. But I thought to discuss it with you first,” Taeyo concluded. Inpyo smushed his dried lips together and hummed instead of answering right away.

The older then stole a glimpse toward Wootae before eyeing his most trusted man, “Taeyo, this is the perfect opportunity to haul in more mounts. Those that you fall short to catch or tame are to be ridden of immediately. Also,” the pause in his orders caught the eyes and ears of every man in the room, “this time it too will also be good for you, Wootae, to hone your horse riding and lacing skills.”

Daniel who has been standing behind Wootae jumped in to opposed the idea, “My lord, Wootae cannot engage in an adult activity. Even a grown man would die if he tries to catch a moody horse much stronger than he—”

“Daniel,” an airy and tired tone could be heard in Inpyo’s voice, “as his teacher you should know what he is and isn’t capable of. He must learn and experience pain now for him to grow,” Inpyo then direct his words to his next victim, “Wootae. Tell me, are you afraid of horses?”

Silence ate every second of the moment in the cave as Wootae was put on the spot. He wasn’t mute but rather soft spoken. “No.” Wootae’s answer made Daniel frown. Daniel was no stranger to the clue that Wootae was an individual with no mind of his own. The child was not selfish nor easily swayed, and with every breath he took, he was constantly and silently given permission to do so. Thus, the result of what may happen to Wootae on the trip was unpredictable and undetermined.

Inpyo heaved a restless hum, “Hear that?" The man directed toward Daniel before laying out further orders, "Take him then, Taeyo. I’m going up to rest.” With slow and heavy steps, Inpyo’s men sent him off to bed then prepared themselves for more instruction from Taeyo.

“Contact the others and find out the location of that wild herd.” Taeyo said, “Also, make sure no harm comes to Wootae,” the tall man look down toward Wootae. “and watch your steps outside the gates. Beyond our borders, hunters’ may have left behind animal traps and especially be aware of tiger traps. Understand?”

“Yes!” The crew shouted in sync. Meanwhile Daniel had begun to feel the sweat that was forming in his palms as he look down at the head of the blunt boy.

ufxwBoiO1jChphS7RoeyKjV4ZeCKqm8mv7ACReQ2

The free and undisturbed forest was soon invaded by the steps of uninvited guests of both men and horses. Taeyo had ordered his men to surround the herd from a distance, thus forming a large, broken oval just to wait for his signal. The collection of at least fifty horses continued to gorge on the green of the forest and remained clueless of that around them. Meanwhile the fire-colored leaves that hasn’t yet fallen off its branches were used as articles to conceal the assassins whereabouts, from the eyes of the herd.

Unlike the eyes of his curious men, making short travels from the mammals to him, Taeyo kept his gaze locked on the herd as he stood on a tree’s branch. Every men around him was carefully planning their moves once he carry out the attack. In the midst of the wait Daniel, who was on one of his knees, hid behind a tree and had an arm outstretched before Wootae, having the outer layers of their clothings rubbing against each other.

“It’s alright if you don’t get one.” The brunette spoke in his native tongue. A very distinctive English with no strong accent. “I know you can do it, but if it becomes too dangerous then I don’t want you to force yourself. You must let go of the rope if you have to. Promise me, Wootae.” Daniel added hoping to earn Wootae’s acknowledgment. Wootae rolled his eyes over to the man and in a soft voice he responded in the same language as Daniel.

“I understand.”

The corners of Daniel’s pretty lips curled up, “I’ll consider your understanding as a promise then.”

“Arm yourselves.” Taeyo ordered, the men around him who have caught on to his words pulled out their weapons and some with ropes. Soon all forty men were ready to jump into action. Taeyo rallied the deadly eyes of his men as he raised a hand skyward, he waited on the count of three then gestured toward the direction of the herd. In a matter of seconds, his men leaped down from the trees and came out of their hiding spots. The sound of weight crushing against the fallen leaves woke the attention of the mammals and soon the sound of galloping begun. Taeyo who was one of the very few people to leave look down to see that Daniel and Wootae were still in place.

Daniel gripped onto the sleeve of Wootae and inhaled heavily. Wootae could see the horror that was painted in Daniel’s brown eyes. “Stay in my sight.” The man breathed.

“Teacher Henney.” A voice said and managed to grab their awareness. “Let’s catch each for one today, shall we?” Taeyo, who was already seated on a saddle horse was ready to run after the moving herd. Beside him were a few assassins left, with and on horses. “Straddle Wootae onto a horse.” His order allowed permission onto a man who walked forward holding a horse by the rein.

“Young master,” The man attempted to slide his hands under Wootae’s small armpits and lift him onto the saddle of the animal but Daniel insisted.

“Wait! I will ride behind him.”  Daniel stood up and at the same time carried Wootae onto the back of the horse and slide the boy’s hands over the hairy rein. Taeyo appeared unaffected by the foreigner’s idea and instead laid down another order.

“Give them a rope.” As the small party waited for a man to hand a rope into Wootae’s tiny hands, Taeyo locked eyes with Daniel’s bloodshot ones. “Don't fall behind or you will lose the chance to get one. Also make sure you return with a horse. And teacher Henney, whatever you do, do not miss. Same goes to you Wootae. Do not miss,” Then quickly he and the rest mounted and rode off together before the gap grew any wider.

End of Chapter Eight.