Chapter 13

Сoncealed Ιdentity (Hiatus)

Chapter 13 – [1805]

The season’s weather was in the sky and the air, yet an average one could not make it out when he is stranded at sea. The hair-like-hay teen laid on a floating platform, a piece that was originally a part of the walls to a large transportation ship, with a capacity of one thousand passengers. The boy with an empty stomach and whose clothes were considered no longer appropriate to wear was responsible for his misfortune. Three days and nights ago, he was aboard a moving ship transporting British tourists as well as traded goods to Japan, but after a long good night sleep, the youth woke up to his parents in Japan and him still on the ship, back at sea. Though unconscious and scared, the boy still slept on the platform and dreamed of the terrifying day when he learned of him being left behind.

“All aboard! Ship to sea in ten!” An Englishman announced to the mix of race at port. Near the port, Japanese salesmen and women were at work, trying to lure in foreigners to buy their tradition goods, even with no clear translation.  

“Oh darling look! Isn’t this hairbow just so beautiful?!” An Englishwoman asked her husband who was standing right beside her. The Englishwoman had her hair up, a true Victorian, with a thin waist and large dress. Over her yellow hair was a nice hat which matched her light blue dress. The man who wore a formal suit with a bowtie expressed great agreement by praising her looks. The two appear crazy to outsiders but were the biological parents to the sleeping English boy on the ship.

In a dim room where the sun happened to be on the other side of the ship, a boy was fast asleep in a dorm room with two parallel bunkbeds. With an arm over his forehead and one hanging off the comfy bed, the boy wore a raggy camel-shaded shirt and dark, stretchy brown pants. In the room, a fly kept the snoring boy busy but buzzing everywhere it went.

“Ship to sea in one!” The same man barked.

“Honey, let’s buy this for mum and pa as well, please?” The woman nudge her husband in a low-cry tone, hoping he would agree.

“Oh, alright.” The lad said as he fished for money in his pockets. The lady giggled happily as she watched her husband with smiling eyes.

“All aboard!”

The honking of the ship made the boy flinch in his sleep as the ship moved away from the land. Soon the buzzing of the fly came to an end as it sat on the boy’s visible, peachy pink lips and crawled around. The boy quickly felt the tickling of its legs and sat straight up, surprising the fly. The youth spat and cleaned his lips with his fingers, a movement that chased the fly right out the open window. “Uck! Disgusting!” The youth screamed with goosebumps.

The honking of the horn caught the boy off guard and quickly his eyes widen, and he looked out the window. He could see the water of the sea and hear the clashing of water against the ship. “Uh, mum? Papa?” The laddie jumped out of bed and headed to the dock immediately. The boy scanned his surrounding and noticed that many of the faces were unfamiliar, which was unusual as he’s been on the ship for the past month, there’s no way he would fail to unrecognize any of the passengers.

The youth noticed a large island in sight as the ship moved away from it, but as an amatuer tourist, he has never seen Japan before. The boy made his way to the man of the wheel and stood beside him. “Excuse me? But have you seen my parents?”

“Laddie!” The man exclaimed, an obvious sign of being taken by surprise, “You’re still on deck? Wasn’t your stop in Japan?”

“That’s right. But have you seen my parents?” The English in the boy and the driver’s voice were heavy.

“Your parents? No I haven’t, sorry.”

The boy sighed with disappointment and walked away from the driver. The man watched as the boy walked away. “Funny, did they not get off the ship?” The male asked himself then shrug it off to overlook the sea once more.

Without speaking with any of the new faces, the child continued to browse through the ship he was used to by then, but there were no sign of his parents nor relatives that has joined them on their destination. “Could they be in the chamber pot?” The boy asked himself as he head deeper below the ship’s deck. As the laddie knocked out all six chamber pot rooms, not one was occupied by anyone he knew.

Before night got darker the child resorted to the ship’s captain, he was tired of having to search for his family who may not be on the ship for any reason. “Captain, do you happen to see my parents?” Inside the room with candles lit and a British flag hung on the wall, a man was seated in a wooden chair behind a desk. Beside the man were two others, probably friends of his as they wore the same, respected gowns.

“Denis King? You’re still on board?” The captain asked, his auburn brown moustache following his voice. “Weren’t you supposed to get off earlier?”

Denis blinked, “What do you mean Captain? I woke up and could not find my parents and—”

The captain wasted no time to fill him in, “Laddie, that’s because your parents got off earlier. You missed your stop.” The man said, standing from his seat.

Though shock and surprise, Denis sounded numb, as if he was used to being alone and separated from his family, “Oh captain this is not right, please turn the ship around. My folks got off without me!”

“Turn the ship around? At this time of night?” The older looked around hoping someone would agree with him that it was indeed too late. 

“If you wait any longer then we'll only drift off farther from my folks!” The young teen, now identified as Denis shouted. The man didn't like how a boy was yelling at him in the middle of the night and especially out in the middle of nowhere. But being the adult he is, he tried to calm the boy down by using an indoor voice. 

“Even if we turn the ship now we’ll get lost in the dark. Right now we are following the direction of the wave, we can’t change direction and go against it. It will ruin the route we’re taking—”

“Captain please!”

“I cannot do as you ask young man. Please leave the quarter.”

Despite the captain trying to keep his cool, Denis just wasn't having it. His parents must be waiting for him near the deck or is somewhere trying to get a hold of the ship he was still on. “What do you expect me to do Captain—?”

“After we make port in Korea, then we will travel back to Japan if the weather allows us to. Do not fret and just do as I say, I’ll make sure you see your parents again.” The young and desperate Denis stormed out of the room without further ado. However the captain’s words ended up dying with him.

When night drew near, Denis thought to turn the ship against the tide on his own. At sea a storm was closing in over the ship and passing by. As majority of the passengers were under the deck and prepared to sleep, as well as hide from the incoming storm, Denis approached the driver from before. “Captain Smith wanted to see you. He said something about tomorrow morning?”

“M-me?” The British man asked, “But why me? Who would keep watch over the wheel then? Didn’t you know a storm is heading our way?”

“Don’t worry, if anything were to happen, or when the storm is in sight I will come warn you.” Denis said.

Denis never did.

The ship ended up sinking when Denis made a sharp 360 degrees turn during the storm. The wind along with the storm did no justice to the survivals, some were washed off into the middle of nowhere, others couldn’t handle the cold and died frozen in the sea.

However, Denis was part of the few who managed to get onto a floating raft and lived through the storm. But now he was alone, floating toward the direction the ship had intended to go, to Korea.

q3BDmVDCJ6VfPWKm7sb9GvnDacW7Ilsn9zp1_ecU

Despite the bright day with the sun lighting the Earth’s surface, a room was completely hidden in darkness as if it was night time. Inside the room were only a few lit candles—across from Jaemin were three figures, one being Taeyo who sat near the door, the other two being closer to the center of the room. “Yeo Inpyo, was it sixteen Springs ago since I last saw you?” Jaemin asked under a cautious yet amazed tone. “You’ve become a leader of an assassin group, Myungyeol, I heard.”

Inpyo sat on the ground with his legs crossed, he slowly lifted his head up to see the man who had spoken. The same man he was ready to call father-in-law years ago. “Yeah.”

“Hearing that you are now a father, you must have moved on from my daughter?” Jaemin asked instead of getting to the point as to what he truly wanted from the man he disliked.

Inpyo’s weary yet deadly eyes were on Jaemin but the older purposely ignored the darts Inpyo had shot. “Is it true that you are secretly forming a rebel group against Chief of State Yungjeong?” With Inpyo’s direct question, the older knew there were no need to waste time catching up with the younger’s absent days.

“You're quite informed for a man outside of the city.” Jaemin said then continued once Inpyo did not react immediately, “You’re correct. I’ve planted spies in Yungjeong’s home and recently learned that he is building a group to take down the current King. You see, I do not like the current as much as I did the former, but this King is my son-in-law. As you know also Queen Yoomi’s husband. You, who used to serve the late King know how corrupted the officials in the palace are. You were probably aware or may remember how Chief of State Yungjeong used to clashed with my proposals.” Jaemin said slowly and clearly, making sure Inpyo was hearing every sound of it.

Inpyo hummed with dispassion in his tone. Then locked eyes once more with the older. “If sixteen years ago, you allowed Yoomi to marry me then maybe I would have considered today’s offer. But not only did you took Yoomi away, you brainwashed her into marrying the Crown Prince and even tried to have me killed—”

“Was it really me who tried to kill you or was it done to save you? Haven’t Taeyo told you?” Jaemin cut in to justify his past actions. “Who asked the present king to keep your neck and just banned you from the city? It was I, Kim Jaemin! So think carefully Inpyo. You and my daughter were never meant to be together in the first place.” Just as he was courageous, Jaemin was also headstrong and short-temper. 

Inpyo heaved an insulted hum, “If you wish to have an assassin group back you up, you will have to look somewhere else. My men and Myungyeol is not where you should look.” Inpyo's voice and words were stern and hard as a rock, but Jaemin has his ways. He knows just what he needed to do and say to win Inpyo over. 

“You, if you choose to go against me, your people will not be safe.” Jaemin threatened to test Inpyo. 

A fearless smirk grew on Inpyo’s face. “Don’t you have Chief of State Yungjeong to worry about? My people should be the least of your concerns, or rather the last you’d want to harm.” Inpyo stood up and head toward the door but was stopped by Jaemin.

“Let me ask you this, Inpyo.” Jaemin began. Inpyo came to a stop but did not respond. “Do you still love my daughter? Can you withstand it if you hear that Yungjeong has succeeded in taking over the palace?” Inpyo helplessly frowned when Yoomi was mentioned.

Of course he wouldn’t want it.

After all he still couldn’t forget Yoomi—his first and last love.

q3BDmVDCJ6VfPWKm7sb9GvnDacW7Ilsn9zp1_ecU

“An avenger? A child?” Yungjeong asked with a high pitched tone, as to show how strangely interested he was. Yungjeong was a man with a moustache, a little too grey compare to his black hair, as if all of his stress has been and left visible in the hair under his nose. Before him was a man hugged in dark clothes, tall and handsome.

“Correct. Sixteen years ago Inpyo became a father and raised a son in the dark ever since. In all of my life, I have never seen a child more capable than Inpyo’s.” The voice of the tall and handsome was raspy and very deep, yet very attractive. “That child is the one you want, if you wish to rule the palace.” There was a pause as both men observed one another. 

A grin that brought out Yungjeong’s crease on his normally wrinkleless face came into light at the words of the latter, “Then as the Lord of Woogyu, can’t you summon this child for me? I want to meet him.” 

Jungook, who was seated in his high chair ever since Yungjeong’s entrance, sat still with his back straighten and bangs hovering over his right eye. Nearly two decades has passed but there were no sign of aging on Jungook’s exotic face. Even his body remained healthy, strong, and young just as it did sixteen years ago. Jungook was fully aware that Yungjeong had ill intention for wanting to meet the boy personally, but he went and granted the man's wish anyway, “Men!” Jungook said, stiffening the guards, in similar fabric color, that stood around. “Call Wootae here. He must be out in the yard.”

“Then,” this time Yungjeong interrupted, postponing Jungook’s order, “let's go to where he is. I’m quite curious what this child may be doing at this hour.” Yungjeong’s proposal wasn’t a bad idea. In fact it could reveal to him exactly what kind of person Yeo Wootae is.

Behind the main building, the main entrance, a few buildings were spreaded out in the building’s backyard. Tall fences closed in the individual buildings. Behind the constructions were an open field, and a large horse ranch that kept in horses meanwhile the rest were locked up behind a smaller stall. By standing shoulder to shoulder, it was visible just how tall Jungook truly was; his height exceeds Yungjeong by half a man’s head. Behind Jungook were his men, without masks, meanwhile behind Yungjeong was his set of guards all in rich, violet fabric. In the back they passed by a horse, Yungjeong noticed it was without a saddle or any sign of it being handled. Instead it was freely roaming around the buildings.

“Why is that animal not locked up?” Yungjeong asked, earning Jungook’s full attention. Once Jungook had his eyes on the horse, he knew immediately whose horse it was.

“You’ll find out why soon.” Jungook only said, but Yungjeong couldn’t detached his eyes from the mare. It was a rare sight. Yungjeong also noticed how few Jungook had guards securing his land. The number of guards showed just how capable and confident the assassins were. They could easily win a one on one battle even if it was them who got jumped. Soon they came to a guard standing on the outskirts of a non-labeled building. “Where’s Wootae?”

“He and Teacher Henney went out to the back forest.” The man answered.

Jungook furrowed his brows. Recalling the mare from before, he thought it was impossible for the boy and foreigner to be off and out of Woogyu's territory. Unless, “They went on foot?”

“Yes, my lord.”

Yungjeong’s ears perked up, now he was fully interested, “A child on foot in the forest? What would a child be doing in a forest?”

“I saw them take bows and arrows. They probably went out hunting again.” The man answered even when the question was meant for Jungook. Yungjeong eyed Jungook with a satisfied smile.

“Does this child bring back any kill?” The older with a stache asked. “Or does this Teacher Henney bring back all the kills?” 

Jungook knew Yungjeong was engrossed so he added, “You’ll be surprise,” then silence visited and the whole party waited for the small hunting duo to return.

End of Chapter Thirteen.