Chapter 3

Сoncealed Ιdentity (Hiatus)

Chapter 3 – [1790]

In one night alone the King made his hasty decision to open up the first part of the wedding ceremony, engagement. The setup of the rushed event beat the sun on the following morning. Words of the Crown Prince’s sudden engagement spread like wildfire and had citizens of Jongno gathered at the gates of the palace’s entrance, talking about who could the Crown Princess be.

Yoomi was dressed in a long traditional red dress and seated on a bed in a room where maids worked around her. Due to no sleep and the crying she had done, her eyes were puffy. Though she was present, her mind was elsewhere. The memory of last night's scene where Inpyo was left beaten and in the cold along with not even knowing the Crown Prince’s face, and only have to see the King’s once left Yoomi’s timid mind in a jumbled. She knew fairly well that there was no hope in a future for her and Inpyo, and so she was slowly getting angry.

However, in a room under gisaengs company, the atmosphere was a lot merrier and jollier as palace officials raised their cups to celebrate Jaemin’s position in becoming the Crown Prince's father-in-law. While they enjoy their feast and the company of the beautiful women there, the officials became a little too excited. Jaemin, on the other hand, kept calm and decided to take his leave as he had to attend the ceremony.

Once the sun rose over Jongno and the palace quickly turned into a lively setting, State Councilor Baek Yungjeong was entering the palace when he noticed Jaemin walking by. A mere smirk grew on Yungjeong’s face as he called out to the chubby one. Jaemin halted and spun in Yungjeong’s direction with a growing smile.

Yungjeong and Jaemin sat together in Yungjeong's surprisingly small and roomy office. “His majesty made you family in no time. You must be the happiest man alive right now. ” Yungjeong cooed. Though the male was higher in terms of rank compared to the chubbier man, now that Jaemin is considered the royal family’s family disturbed Yungjeong. Mainly due to the fact that it would be even more difficult to win favors from the King, especially if he were to clash with Jaemin’s.

Jaemin chucked at Yungjeong’s statement then asked, “Does it show?” Clearly an attack to the younger Yungjeong. “I mean wouldn’t any man be this happy when the King makes him family?”

Yungjeong sneered at the other's question, “Not many men would be able to share your fortune and luck, Left State.” Upon hearing his title, Jaemin's smile faded briefly before he regained the same expression. Titles were only referred to when one feels or is trying to remain distant. 

“Is that so?” Jaemin blurted, knowing Yungjeong was jealous. He could sense the hateful vibe emitting from the latter as they share a moment of silence. They weren’t close before and now that gap between them has grown even wider. However, both men are just waiting to see who will take the first fall into the gap or whom the other will make fall first.

Despite the happiness, tension, and ill feelings each person had for the other—the engagement proceeded and by afternoon the ceremony had finally begun. Yoomi and Crown Prince Minho were brought out to the eyes of citizens and fulfilled the purpose of the event as icons.

ENCOiuv9wuwj2UmwgF7clfBgBk3XCnFIhQ5bsMvC

On a cloudy day, the day after Inpyo’s eighteenth birthday, the young and restless was chased through town on a midday. The chasers consisted of Inpyo’s yet-to-be-identify attackers during a travel outside the palace walls, attending to a task ordered by the King. The first move to jump Inpyo happened ahead of him when a swordmaster swung the weapon out of nowhere before him and remained hidden around the corner. However, Inpyo was a warrior of reflex and willpower.

The warrior in hostile clothing blocked the blade with the scabbard of his own sword, which coincidentally lured out the attacker. A man with a mask over his mouth. “Who are you?” Inpyo has asked. His attacker saw no necessity to give an answer and swung at Inpyo once more, just to miss the lad as he dodged. Before Inpyo could predict it, he was outnumbered one to six.

Hence his strategy was to hit and run, a Pacman move.

Even in the people’s presence, the six assailants refused to stand down and had their go at Inpyo, even to the point of beating the armless out of the way. Inpyo could only curse under his breath when he unintentionally brought in the innocents. Thus he ran to a less crowded part of town; on the dirt road, he fought blade to blade with his attackers. With the six fearlessly rounding him up, Inpyo had very little choice but to fight his way out. Before one of the six could strike him first, Inpyo’s speed beat the man to it and dropped the nameless onto the ground with a cut to the leg. As the exchanges went on, Inpyo was left with two attackers. “Who sent you?” Inpyo asked the two males but neither answered.

Instead one held his sword high over his head, while the other prepared himself to charge in first. “Die!” The charger screamed, the tip of his blade pointed toward Inpyo’s upper body and his steps quick yet short. Instead of dodging, Inpyo danced along the incoming blade as the male ran it switching spots with him, once the fellow was close enough Inpyo struck the lad's chest with an open palm, forcing his enemy onto the ground back first.

Inpyo had started to pant when he could see the enemy before him. The stranger was so calm and unaffected by the death and wounds of his companions. “I-I asked who sent you?” Without a word, the man moved swiftly toward Inpyo and successfully stabbed Inpyo’s left waist. Rather than breaking down completely, as any man would have, Inpyo held onto the stranger’s shoulder and forced his own sword into the side of his enemy, who in the end relieved a soft groan.

“D-damn i-it.” The stranger whispered before taking his last breath. Inpyo then kicked the man, allowing him to drop backward onto the ground. Meanwhile, Inpyo stumbled to find his own balance as the pain of the sword within his side made him dizzy. Then the pain knocked him over completely. Later that evening, Inpyo woke up to the voices of women. Working and concerned women. His vision was blurry but he could make out the figure of a woman hovering over him.

“Quick, give me the medicine!” A woman cried. He thought her voice was husky for a young female, but the voice belonging to a mother nonetheless. There are many mothers out in the world yet one is special depending on who she mothered and what has she done as a mother. Also, a child or person may be able to tell a mother's voice just to any woman. Though, in all of Inpyo’s life, he has never had a mother before. The King may have been like his father, but the Queen did not adore him as the King did. “Yoomi quick! The medicine I say!” Before Inpyo could confirm whether he thought correctly or not, sleep took over him.

When Inpyo woke early the next morning, before the sun could lit up his surrounding, Inpyo felt the morning’s breeze and heard the woken insects. “Are you feeling better?” Though the voice of the questioner was soothing and soft it startled Inpyo and caused him to sit upright, just to grunt and lean over his wound. With his hands wrapped around the bandages, Inpyo realized that his wound has been tended. “Mister?”

Inpyo followed to the side where he saw a woman, no older and no younger than him. Even under the mixture of blue and grayness of the sky, her face was visible. With her small face and pale skin, she appeared to be very beautiful. “W-where am I?”

The lass wore no smile as she was concern about whether Inpyo was in a stable condition or not. “This is Boanlim Temple.”

“B-Boanlim Temple?”

The young female finally smiled as she answered. “Yes. The temple surrounded by the protected forest trees. My mother and I come here every year to pray for my family’s well-being. But on our way here we saw you in the middle of the road, wounded. We brought you along so we could nurse your cut. What happened to you?”

“My wound,” Inpyo didn’t mean to say it aloud but the lass hummed.

“It’s a relief that you’re so healthy and young, your wound healed quickly just after my mother applied medicine to it.” The smile on the lass’s face widen. As if her smile cured him, Inpyo could no longer feel the pain at his waist. 

“Thank you..,” he mumbled. 

The female nodded.

Soon after Inpyo learned of the identity of his saviors. Kim Yoomi, eldest and only daughter of Left State Kim Jaemin after the passing of her youngest sister ten years prior. The reason that led Yoomi’s mother to personally learned about medicine and to pass down her knowledge to the gullible Yoomi. Within two years Inpyo and Yoomi came to like and eventually loved one another, their love deepened after the death of Yoomi’s mother as Inpyo was always beside her to comfort and fill in her loss. Inpyo thought they would be together forever, he was wrong for thinking so.

Inpyo woke up to the scent of dying fire and melting candles. He rolled his unfocused eyes to scan his surroundings, but his heavy eyelids made it difficult for him to keep them open. When he could keep them open, all he could make out were a big blur of everything. In fact, he couldn't see at all as the room was pitch black, dark. Inpyo tried to sit up but miserably failed when the nerves in his arms and waist went numb. When the back of his head fell back against the rectangular shaped pillow he felt a surge of painful pins and needles shoot through his head, forcing a soft grunt out his dried entry.

Still clueless about his whereabouts, the sudden voice coming near him caused him to freeze in place. "You shouldn't move too much," the tone of the speaker was calm yet raspy.

"W-where am I?" Inpyo asked, despite a growing migraine he was also having. The man in the room gave Inpyo the silent treatment, but Inpyo could feel the stinging eyes of the mysterious presence on him. "I-I need to go. I, I have to s-save my Yoomi." Inpyo said weakly. His concerns were answered by the standing and approaching figure of the stranger. Though the floor was obviously made of cement, the click of the figure's steps was crystal clear to the ears. And judging from the outline of the figure in the dark, anyone could tell he was rich in height.

"Forget about saving that woman, you're too late. She and the Crown Prince may be spending their first night together as we speak," the man explained as if it meant nothing before diverting the topic, "this is Woogyu grounds. I am certain that once you're steady, you'll know who and what we are."  

Inpyo could hear him but at the same time his mind was boggled with other emotions, emotions of only Yoomi, "What are you saying?" And because of Inpyo's condition, he spoke in a slow and draggy tone, "What about Yoomi? W-will you help me save her?" The standing once again kept hushed and watch as Inpyo drifted off into another helpless slumber.

TKpi5ucWY43m4yVoSXSDzpdOMHvTlpRFIsLlzCi1

Night overtook the long day in a flash and due to the fact of wanting to savor the first night when the real wedding does take place, the Crown Prince had to conclude the night with a few drinks with the Crown Princess. In the midst of being left alone to enjoy one another's company, Minho held up a cup to the motionless Yoomi. “Shall we share a drink before the night ends?”

The atmosphere was awkward. Not because they were shy, but because the first time they laid eyes on one another they just couldn’t deny the beauty and attractiveness of each other. Unlike Jaemin’s appearances, Minho was surprised at how innocent, sweet, and caring Yoomi looked. She resembled nothing of Jaemin, Minho was sure of it. Yoomi knew that it was betrayal to Inpyo but the Crown Prince’s gorgeous looks were out of the world. She has never seen such a good looking man before and because of her father’s occupation, she was used to the idea that all politicians are older men with messy beards and loud demeaning voices.

Yoomi moved her hand forward a little and then finally lifted the cup with her hand. “Yes…,”

The Crown Prince spread a gladly smile across his flawless face before holding the cup up higher and drink down every drop of the wine. He was almost sure that his and Youngtae's future will now be brighter thanks to his father and Yoomi.

RXfE8LWneldjMYXmTqtuUzcGSgORVf2FAsDMJl8r

When morning returned, the assumption made by the male from the previous night was correct when he said Inpyo will know where he was. Though Inpyo had only heard about it from his father and grandfather as a child up to his early teen years, he knew this was Woogyu; the private organization ruled by assassins that is known to involve itself in illegal and dirty activities through trades, located in Suwon. Suwon was a smaller city just below Jongno on any maps. Woogyu stood three floors off the Earth's ground and one under the surface, and though very private it was on the inside, the building's exterior appearance draws much attention. It was a construction coated in the darkest of colors, ebony, with gates and fences made of sable metal no taller than five feet equally standing and forming a perfect square around all of its three-acre wide property.

How he knew was obvious—assassin blood ran in his veins, dating back to even his great ancestors. The question was how did he come to be at Woogyu, the organization he wanted to be no part of after the death of his father and grandfather. An establishment that allowed and watch him suffered out on the cold streets of Jongno during his adolescent years before the King picked him up and took him in.

"Are you steady now?" The questioning voice shattered all of Inpyo's train of thoughts, in fact, it surprised him. Inpyo gandered over to see the same tall figure from last night. "How many days were you planning to sleep through?" At the man's challenge, Inpyo slowly pulled himself up into a sitting position where he could fully see the face of the male. The stranger's facial structure was masculine and defined. Inpyo first made out the long coal bangs that fell over the lad's right eye; his frosty, yet lively eyes. The man's long hair was tied into a high ponytail with the ends resting on his shoulder. Not just his hair but he was dressed entirely in the color black. Perhaps he was trying to match the colors of the building or have demanded that the color of his home be changed to match him. But that is one theory outsiders will never know for sure.

Judging the stranger's appearances alone, Inpyo could come up with one name at the top of his head that may belong to the one standing, "Are you not Lord Choi Jungook?" Inpyo poses the question in a spiritless fashion. A short-lived click could be heard when the man departed his lips, a sign that the lad must have kept quiet for some time and was ready to answer.

"So you do know me." The man said. Though Inpyo was only a year younger than the fellow, Inpyo could now clearly hear the deepness and maturity of his voice.

In the short amount of time he has spent with the stranger, Inpyo could tell that the rumors of Choi Jungook were no rumors but very many facts. The confirmation that Jungook does have an aura of a bloodthirsty killer, the appearances of an irresistible great looking tall man, and was indeed very much alive. Though Inpyo was a year junior to Jungkook, he knew very well that Jungook became a leader at the age of fourteen, eight years prior. "My deceased father has spoken of you before," Inpyo stated, earning a brief smirk from the other.

Almost as if he had expected Inpyo to say so Jungook, unfazed, added, "Most likely. Then, since we know very well of one another's identity can we proceed to just discuss business?" Jungook asked with an inviting tone. The raspy voice of the man wasn't forceful nor greedy, it was calming and soothing, basically the opposite of the deadly gazes he was sending Inpyo.

"Business?" Inpyo repeated after the male. The man hummed before speaking again.

"Join us. Become an assassin under Woogyu," though Jungook had intended for it to be an offer, Inpyo felt it was more of a command. Almost like a task the King would have given him. 

Frozen at the man's direct proposal, Inpyo looks up to meet those lethal eyes. "Join you? Why? I don't even know why I'm here. Why should I join you—?" Inpyo's cautious rejection was brushed off by the obviously more powerful man.

"We have been tracking you for some time, hoping to invite you to join us. You know very well that this place is where your roots are. From these grounds, you were meant to be an assassin. So today I'm asking for you to join us."  Jungook explained. Though Inpyo can tell the man wouldn't take 'no' for an answer, his will to be with Yoomi out-powered all options he was given or to be given.

“Sorry, but I cannot join you. The world of the assassins is too strict. I have a woman who I truly love and only wish to live for, but I am grateful that you brought me in and nurse me. However, I must return to Jongno and protect Yoomi." Said Inpyo. Jungook didn't budge nor blink at Inpyo's spoken decision.

"That woman you call Yoomi," there was a pause as if the man was preparing himself to let out the most terrible news to Inpyo, "even if you go to her now, you will not be able to reach her."

Inpyo stared the man right in the eyes, "What do you mean?"

The homeowner instantly replied, "The marriage ritual between her and the Crown Prince was carried out yesterday morning. Even if you go now, you will not see the woman who was once yours, you will only face the Crown Princess."

A surge of grief quickly overtook Inpyo's system, leaving his heart beating at a rapid speed. He couldn't utter a word, not even when night came. He was in a state of disbelief and confusion. Wasn't Yoomi meant to marry his majesty the King? Why was she now married to the Crown Prince? More questions than answers entered his mind until an ounce of realization hit him.

The only woman who he thought was bound to be his was married to the Crown Prince, one of the many people who he cannot go against.

End of Chapter Three.