Silent Moments

Silent Moments

When Shin Hye heard the door bell, she thought her parents had decided to come two days early to surprise her. However, by the time she reached the door she was convinced her parents would never abandon their yearly vacation with old friends. 

All thoughts of her parents and everything else disappeared from her mind the minute she saw who was at her doorstep. She opened the door but stood nearly paralyzed unable to speak a word to the unexpected visitor. 

Yong Hwa. It couldn't be? Could it ? 

They exchanged no greetings. His intense stare was enough to let her know his state of mind. There were no happy greetings, no back-slapping, no toothy grins. 

She couldn't help but notice how ridiculously handsome he looked in his black suit. He had come straight from a shoot, that much was obvious. 
What was unclear though was why he was in her living room now carefully placing his coat into the coat hanger and folding up the sleeves of his white shirt. 

Shin Hye felt her heart beat out of turn but wasn't sure if it was the effortless charm he exuded or the deadly attitude or a combination of both that caused it.

He had made himself comfortable on the sofa and was now observing her quietly. She shivered a little before making way to the kitchen. For the first time since they built the house, she regretted the redesigning  of the kitchen into an American style open one. 
Her hands were shaking as she took ingredients for making coffee. By the time she had to pour the coffee into coffee mugs her hands were constantly betraying her. She was startled when he stood behind her and held her hand steadily as she poured the beverage. Before she could shake him off, he had moved away, casually watching her while he stood leaning his shoulder to the wall. 

His proximity had made things ten times worse for her. She had managed to bang her head on the overhead shelves and before she knew it, she had tripped on her own foot and fallen flat to the ground.

He didn't wait a minute to scoop her up bridal style and take her to the bedroom. He laid her carefully on the bed and examined her foot. She grimaced in pain when he touched her left foot. He looked at her with a different expression for the first time since he walked in - concern. 

He rummaged through her first aid box that was lying in plain sight on her dressing table. Lucky for him (and her) that she had left it there after she cut her finger earlier in the day, otherwise they might have to actually talk. Now, nobody wants that, do they? 

He found a pain relief ointment and proceeded to apply it to her feet, massaging gently. 

Shin Hye felt no pain. Her heart beat had become way too erratic to register anything else. 

After making sure her foot was ok, he brought two cups of coffee from the kitchen. He sat down beside her feet on the bed and offered her one cup. 

In her nervousness she spilt some coffee on herself as she took her first sip. She thought she might have noticed the faintest trace of smile on his face as he offered her tissues to wipe the coffee and brought a wet towel to ensure there were no stains on her blouse. 
They drank the rest of the coffee silently. He took the empty mugs and washed it in the kitchen sink while Shin Hye waited in anticipation for his next move. 

It must be a record of some sort, she thought, the amount of time they had spent together today without uttering a word. 
Who would believe they were capable of this? 
Anybody who had seen them had only seen them crazy, unable to stop giggling and whispering into each other's ears. They were the kind of friends who people thought looked so good together that they assumed they were either already dating or it was only a matter of time before they did. 
However, they had not dated. They drifted apart because of the constant link-ups and rumors that plagued them. It wasn't intentional, they were very close friends for a long time but as their careers got busier and the link-ups got nastier, they avoided each other due to the awkwardness of the situation eventually moving apart completely. 

He came back and scooped her up once more to move her and make space for himself and sat with his back resting on the bed frame. 

It had been two whole years since they spoke last however here they were sitting next to each other on her bed. Her heart still beating like she had run a marathon.

She jumped when he intertwined her hand into his. It was not like Shin Hye didn't know what Yong Hwa had intended by his visit. It may have been two years but there were things about each other they could never forget and there were things they just knew. If you asked her she could safely say that she hadn't forgotten a single moment spent with him. They were way too close then. 

The clocked ticked on as he played with her fingers. She waited. She had seen him like this before but it was very rare for him to be so utterly silent. It always scared her when he was in such a mood because it meant he had something big on his mind. His seriousness always made her nervous and jumpy. Today had been no different. 

It did surprise her when he scooted closer to her and slowly wrapped his hand around her and rested her head on his shoulder. She sighed heavily.  He rested his head on hers. She felt her heartbeat finally calming down. She felt loved. She felt comfortable and at peace. It was like love was flowing like invisible rays between them effortlessly, wordlessly. She thought her heart would burst with happiness. 

Shin Hye was not sure how long they stayed that way. It could've been a heart-beat or it could've been an eternity. Time seemed like another dimension that had no relevance when it came to these two hearts. Two years had disappeared in an instant and two hours seemed like a whole lifetime. 

She slowly lifted his head and turned his face towards her. She realized Yong Hwa had tears glazing his eyes. Maybe it was the tears, maybe it was the two years, maybe it was the years before, maybe it was the present day, she didn't know what triggered it, but she pulled him into a hug so intense that she surprised even herself, not just him. 
He s his arms around her and held her desperately. After a few minutes, they had both calmed down and the hug had become soothing. 

He slowly pulled apart and looked into her eyes. Her eyes swirled with unexpressed emotions and he felt an intense urge to kiss her. So he did - with fervent passion and she responded with equal fervor. Eventually, he started placing sweet kisses on her lips and she returned in kind, making her smile for the first time that day. Her smiled mirrored on his face as well as he placed feather light kisses on her face moving down to her neck. She placed her hands on his shoulder and he stopped  suddenly, searching her eyes for an answer. He was confused to see a cheeky grin now adorning her face. Then he knew. She was going to kiss his neck, his weak point. He tried to scramble away but she was too quick, she launched herself into him and kissed his neck lightly, making him squirm uncomfortably. That sight made her laugh uncontrollably. He joined in the laughter after sometime. When she stopped laughing, she noticed he was staring at her like she was the most precious being in the world. 
She blushed. He grinned toothily.
He produced a ring from his pocket and offered it to her. Her eyes widened then her face broke into the biggest smile he had ever seen on her. She extended her hand. After he slipped the ring on to her finger, he cupped her face. Before he could say anything, she had already anticipated what he would say, and they dissolved into peals of laughter. There was only one thing that he would say cupping her face - you've fallen for me, but even that remained unsaid because sometimes, you just know. 

++
Knet reaction to Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa's impending marriage. 

+784 -23 Have a great married life, we have been anticipating this from a long time now. Be well. 

+654 -45 ha! Weren't they just friends? Now what happened Jung Yong Hwa sshi Park shin Hye sshi ? ㅋㅋㅋ This was a couple everybody knew about. They dated well without anybody finding out. Almost 8 years!!

+538 -13 I wonder how he proposed to her? Did he write a song for her? I am sure it must've been a musical proposal. Park Shin Hye always said she found him charming on stage.

+337 -22 Jung Yong Hwa is such a chatter box, I'm sure he made a long winding proposal maybe even sang many songs. ㅋㅋㅋ can you release the song ?? ㅋㅋㅋ

+302 -55 they have always been best friends I'm sure it just happened while they were busy playing around.  ㅋㅋㅋㅋ