Final

Lonely Butterfly

“Hey! Are you going to that orange tree again today?”

You hear your friend asked you. Today school’s last subject is ended. You already wear your coat. You ready to go now.

“Eum! Before I see Minseok sunbae, I won’t go home!” You answer your friend then run toward the science lab direction. Outside the lab precisely.

“What? Is she like the Biology Club chairman?!”

“Yes. Even if he is handsome, I don’t like him. He is so weird.”

You hear your friends back talking about your favorite senior. People say that Kim Minseok is a weird and nerd person. But you don’t care. You like him. Now you already reach the orange tree near the biology lab. You hide behind it. You see Minseok through the window. You see his beautiful face with his glasses on. You see that he is planting something there. You are so lured by Minseok, but you only can see him from the distance. You don’t have any courage to talk to him.

“Aaah… Why I don’t have any chance to get closer to him…” You lean in the tree and sigh. Then you feel something fell down on your shoulder. You check it with your eyes. And there is a caterpillar on your shoulder. You really scared to insects. You scream panicky, then you run closer to the window where Minseok is without realize it.

“Black butterflies.”

You hear a voice and not feel the caterpillar on your shoulder again. You turn your head to the left side and see Minseok have took the caterpillar with the leaves that he held. You are never being so close to him before.

“Tha… Thank you”

“Rarely there was a larva at the time like this. It couldn’t pass the winter” Minseok didn’t mind your thanks and busy observing the larva. He put the larva in a glass box. So you just ask him, “You want to keep it?”

“Yes, it is only a short time to observe this” Minseok answer you and show his back to you. You think it is the chance to be closer with him.

“Let me to keep it” You see Minseok shocked and doubt face, but you don’t give up “I found that first. But if you want to observe that… How if we keep it at the Biology lab?”

Minseok thinking about it a while then sigh, “It’s up to you”

You are happy to hear that. You can be close to him everyday now. You go in the science lab, siting close to Minseok and ask him how to take care the larva.

“It eat orange leaves… Everyday you must take a new leaves for it. Then you cleaned the dirt. Finish”

“Heeee?! Only that? Is there other thing to do?”

Minseok show his back to you. He ignore you. You want to be closer with him but he is really cold to you. You palm your face and grumbling. Then you feel someone staring you. You put off your hand from your face and see Minseok look at you closely.

“Wha… What?”

“Your braid has loosened” Then Minseok sit at the chair beside you and hold your loosened braid. He start to fix your braid hair. You feel your cheek burning now.

“I… I can braid it myself!” You try to let off Minseok hand from you.

“Keep silent” Only with that words you keep quiet and let Minseok braid your hair. You really like how Minseok touch your hair. After a while he finish his work “Finish. Actually it is easy”

“Ah, thank you, sunbae” You thanked him and he smile at you. You feel butterflies in your stomach, because his smile can kill you shortly. Then you touch your new braid and feel something in your hair. Your eyes see there is a caterpillar in the edge of your braid. You screaming and Minseok just grinning and ignore you. Another Biology Club members tell you that is only a toy. Minseok had tricked you. You are angry. He is really weird, but when you see him you can’t hate him.

***

“Hello!”

You are in the biology lab now. You go there to see the larva and of course to see Minseok too. The larva only the excuse for that. You see Minseok near the window. He is observing the glass box of the larva you found yesterday. You hear his sigh.

“Why?” You ask Minseok. Then he show you the glass box. You see there is two big blob in it. You think that are the larva’s poop.

“It is larva parasite. It had been painstakingly survive, but it had been eaten by the parasite” Minseok open the window. He want to throw the larva outside.

“Ah! Don’t throw it!” You prevent him to throw it and snatch the glass box from his hand “We already take care of it with love, why don’t we make a grave for it?”

Minseok put his middle finger in his upper nose to fix his glasses position. Then he sigh before he talk “If you make a grave for all the insects, this place will become insects cemetery”

You look at Minseok. You annoyed by him. Then you turn your body and go out from the lab. You hear Minseok called you but you ignore it. You think he is care to insects, but you are wrong, his treatment is as cold as to the people.

You reach the backyard of your school. You open the lid of the glass box. You a little scare because you hate the insects.

“Is… Is it larva? It wouldn’t come out something from it, right? If it already died, I think it’s okay…” You slowly entered your hand on the box and you get surprised because you hear someone called you.

“Aaak!!”

“Hey, it’s me. Stop screaming, can’t you?” You see Minseok behind you. You are confused why he is here.

“Sunbae, what are you doing here” Then Minseok give you something.

“Here is chopsticks. It can be used as the headstone”

You gasped then laughing happily. Then Minseok help you and dig the ground and you put the larva on it. You and Minseok successfully (?) make a grave for the larva. You thanked him and draw your words that say Minseok is a cold person.

“Larva often get a parasite. Needs more effort to help it grow bigger and beautiful” Minseok explain about larva to you. Because he know you don’t know anything about insects. “Like a human, no one know what will happen to it”

“Sunbae, are you observing the insects because you are hate people?” Without realize it you ask that to Minseok. Minseok keep quiet a while and then he look at you and smile.

“Not because I’m hate people the reason why I like observing the insects. Just because”

You feel your cheek like burning because of Minseok’s smile. You see his soft expression, different with while he was jerking around. You think you are the only one that see this kind of his face ever.

***

Today is raining. You see Minseok through the window. Seems like he is daydreaming while he look at the rain. You enter the lab and greet him.

“Sunbae, I saw you stunned at the rain from before. What are you thinking now?”

“Stupid. Come here” Minseok ask you to come closer to him. You go to him and he show you a black butterfly in his finger “It is beautiful, right?”

“Woah… Is it you that take care of it?”

“Eum. Give me your hand, it’s okay” Then you give your hand to Minseok and he pass the butterfly in to your finger.

“It wouldn’t suddenly fly, right?” You ask Minseok, scared if the butterfly will go.

“Nah, the wings still wet, it can’t fly yet. You know? If I see a beautiful butterfly like this, I can’t stop to caring the insects”

“Hmmm” You humming and look at Minseok. You see that he staring at your direction smiling happily. You feel happy. Then you realized that actually he is not staring at you, but at the butterfly in your finger. He is staring at the butterfly continuously without feeling bored. You want it. You want to being stared by him continuously.

***

Today you decide not to braid your hair. You let your straight long hair fall beautifully at your back. You want to impress Minseok. You enter the lab and greet the biology club members. They were surprised to see your unusual appearance. You give a glimpse to Minseok to see his reaction. He is looking at you but he is still quiet. You a little disappointed because he didn’t give any comment. But then you remember that he is a prankster.

“You’re beautiful”

You stop thinking as you hear Minseok say that. Your feel butterflies in your stomach. You are shy. You don’t believe that Minseok say you’re beautiful. You really happy to hear that.

“Quick close the door” Minseok ordered you and you nodded then close the lab’s door.

You join with other members and help them. Then Minseok give you and the other a snack and juices. You grab the juice and drink it. You hear weird voice coming from the members.

“Uuugh. What is it? It taste so weird. Aaah! It is tuna’s juice! Hey don’t drink it!”

You don’t care. You are too happy to feel the weird taste from the juice. Minseok is a prankster but you really like him.

***

You are in your room now. You tied your hair and sit in front of your computer. You want to get more attention from Minseok. So you must become smart. You try to learn about the insects’ world from the internet. You open one site then you feel scared to see many kind of insects there.

“Fi… Fighting for myself! Tomorrow I must become an insect’s lover!”

You open one site to site. Then you find a blog that the writer write about insects. You open the writer’s bio then know he or she is about in your age. You open one post with “Larva” title. It had a tuna juice photo. You confused why it titled “Larva” but the photo not about Larva. You read the description of the post.

“It named larva. But not an insects. It is a girl. I give her tuna’s juice and she say it is delicious”

You think that the Larva is liking the blog writer but she didn’t realize it. Then you open older post that had larva as the tag. You see a grave that you made with Minseok photo. Then you see the larva that you find in the first day you talked with Minseok. You scrolled down and see your photo behind tree. The orange tree that hide your presence while you see Minseok from a distance.

***

“Sunbae! Please explain the purpose all of this!!” You show your iPad to Minseok. You show him his blog that you found last night. You demanded an explanation from him.

“Why did you put me in your blog?! Am I an object for your observation??!!!”

Minseok still continue what he is doing before while he answer you “Yes. But for all this time I feel lucky that my object come alone to me. I didn’t think that my post about you liked by the visitors of my blog. Then the visitors number growing as I post about you more”

You shocked. You feel sad. But you can’t show him your disappointed face. So you lift your head and look at him.

“I won’t come again”

Then you run out from the lab then you crying. You are thinking as you running and crying. You think it is a punishment that you used insects as a tool to get closer to Minseok. You decide that you will never meet him again.

***

“Hey… You… Till when you want to be like this…”

It is already 1 month after you stop meet with Minseok. You braid your hair back and wear a glasses that cover half of your face.

“Just forget that weird boy. You can meet a better man!”

You just hear quietly what your friend say. Maybe your body is in the class but not for your soul. Your mind actually wandering around.

“Is that black butterfly okay now?” You murmured and your friends only sigh to see your behavior. Then you see they go from the class and say that they coming home first. You still sit in your chair. You feel the day is too long to be end. Your feeling always feel tangled from that day.

You wake up from your seat and go to your school’s library. You search if there any available seat and you find it in the corner of the library. Then you open your iPad and start browsing. You open Minseok blog to know how he is doing after you stop meet him. You shock as you see the post in Minseok’s blog. You see a girl picture focused on her s and thighs without showing the face. You know the uniform that she wear. It is your school uniform. You scrolled down to see older post. It say that she is the witer’s “New Larva”. You read the description of all the photos.

“She is one year older than me. Her nails is long. Scary”

“Only a matter of time, one day she would eat me up”

“E… Eaten?” You gasped as you read the newest post. You concluded that MInseok is in danger now. You run toward the biology lab direction. You open the door and call him.

“Minseok sunbae!!”

You see Minseok is sitting in a chair and lean in to the table with a girl above him. The girl had her hand around his neck and try to kiss him. You don’t want Minseok being with her. So you screaming your mind out.

“Get off from Minseok sunbae!!!” You walking closer to them and continue your talk “He is only use you as an object for his post on his blog! He is a mentally ill stalker!!” You give her your iPad and show her the photos at Minseok’s blog. Her face turned disgusted as she see the photos.

“It is really disgusting! Why are you took the picture of me like this!! I want you to delete it all! I won’t come again!” The girl then go out from the lab madly. Then you turn your head to see Minseok. You see him sighing before he talk.

“Are you have a right to disturb me?”

“Yes. I have” You answer Minseok with full of confidence “Because only I that can be your larva!” You see Minseok’s shoked face. Then you loosen your braid and put off your glasses from your face and go closer to Minseok “I don’t like sunbae attention turn to others. If sunbae being eaten by a girl like her….” You know that you must forget Minseok, but your heart say you can’t forget him. You hold Minseok arm and make him leaned at the table. You are above him now.

“I like sunbae!”

Then you leaned closer to Minseok face. You try to kiss him. But as your lips only one centimeter away from him, you stop. You pull off your face and let off your hand form Minseok arms. You can’t kiss him. Then Minseok grab your wrist and pull you closer to him. He make your head on his crook and he put his other hand on your head. He hug you.

“I’ll delete all the post about that girl”

You gasped as you hear Minseok say that. You broke the hug and look at his face.

“Hey! My confession before is serious!”

“That post isn’t important again” You see Minseok smile at you, then you feel his plump lips touch yours. “Because, my larva is coming back to me” then Minseok kiss you sweetly. You kiss him back. Then shortly Minseok broke the kiss and make you stand on your foot.

“My larva…” You feel embarrassed as you being called ‘my larva’ by Minseok. Then you remember that Minseok is a prankster.

“Hey. Sunbae! The post about that girl on your blog is a trap so I’ll come back here?!!! It is a trap, right?!!!” You following Minseok as he walking to other direction. You want an answer from him.

“It is up to you what do you called it. The important thing is only you that I want”

“You… You assume people as an insects??!!” You stop following Minseok and start to walk away from him. But then he grab your wrist then he put his other hand on your head then he give you chaste kiss.

“Are you not understand? I’ll make any trap to catch you”