Eternal Love

Eternal Love

 

The sun was up, burning and giving glow on everything as the wind blows gently making the leaves of the trees dance in rhythm. It was another fine day for Xiumin to get himself prepared for work. He put on his uniform before his wife called him for breakfast.

“Hon are you done? Breakfast is ready.” Jaerin shouted from the kitchen as she just finished making sandwiches.

Xiumin came out of the room after a few moments. Their usual morning involves breakfast full of love and cheering with a hundred percent sweetness, nothing more nothing less. Jaerin wakes up before the sun rises to get everything ready, from Xiumin's uniform down to cooking their food. Xiumin smiled as he complements her tasty sandwich.

“I’ll go now. Get ready for your school now okay?” Xiumin then gave Jaerin a goodbye kiss.

“Don’t worry. Oh by the way, don’t forget to eat the sandwich; I made an extra for your snack.” She answered as she send the other off outside.

“Thanks hon! I’ll go home earlier if I could.” He shouted while waving his hands energetically when he’s already far.

Xiumin's eyes naturally closed as he feels the cold breeze touches his skin. Whenever he does this, there’s a clear picture of his wife, smiling brightly and cheering up for him. That’s the only thing he needed to get strengthen and work harder for her.

Xiumin and Jaerin were married for two long years already. Being tied together early was the most difficult point in their lives but everything becomes easier for them, knowing that they have each other no matter how hard life is. Xiumin decided to give up going to college and sacrificed by just working to let Jaerin finish her studies. He had to work double to be able to carry on Jaerin’s tuition fee and their daily expenses. In the morning, he’s working in a coffee shop nearby as a barista and at night, he’s working in the restaurant at the next block as a waiter.

His shift ended earlier as he expected since the manager was sick so they have to close the restaurant early. Walking down the brick road of their neighborhood, he dialled the other to tell her he’s on his way home already. When he was near, his lips naturally curved upwards as he saw his wife waiting for him at the doorstep. His tiredness immediately melted away as soon as Jaerin welcomed him with a sweet kiss and warm hug.

 

xxx

 

Another year passed and their relationship stayed stronger through the time. But these past few days, Jaerin noticed that the other was not doing well. He became weaker and his sudden weight loss was obvious too. She’s worried about her husband but everytime she asks him, he just says he’s fine.

“No I told you I’m fine. Just focus on your studies since you only have half a year left to graduate.”

“Are you sure?” Jaerin asked with a concerned tone.

“Hmm. Don’t worry.” Xiumin smiled at her.

Jaerin always worried about Xiumin's health. Though, she wanted him to rest even just for a day or so, she always fails because the other immediately opposes her. When the other smiled at her, it means the end of conversation. She understands that Xiumin's only doing that for her, for her to fulfil her dreams that’s why she felt bad for him. But since she can’t do anything right now, Jaerin promised herself that when she graduated and got a stable job, her husband won’t have to suffer anymore.

Jaerin just finished studying for their exam the next day. It’s late already and is getting close to Xiumin's shift to end. As she stares at her phone, waiting for the other’s call, it suddenly rang and Xiumin's caller ID appeared on the screen.

“Hon! You’re on your way home?” Jaerin excitedly asked but her expression turned dull when a different voice spoke from the other end of the line. Her heart suddenly pounds loudly as she started to panic. “W-what do you mean… h-hospital?”

“He passed out while he was working. He’s in the hospital already but he’s still unconscious.”

When everything was clear to her, Jaerin immediately put on a coat and rushed to the hospital where her husband is. As soon as she got to Xiumin's room, she ran towards the bed and hugged the other. It’s a first that Jaerin cries because of sadness. It started with a single drop, spilling over from her eyes and rolling down her cheek, it continues until it became a river of tears.

“I told you to rest but you won’t listen to me. Look what happened to you.” Jaerin cried on his chest.

After a few minutes of waiting, Xiumin finally woke up and the doctor entered the room to check on him. The doctor advised him to stay for just three days to undergo some tests. And Xiumin, being a person who hates to be weak, opposed again for not working for three days. But Jaerin can’t stand it anymore. She told the other that he will stay in the hospital and that decision is final. Xiumin's eyes widen in shock after hearing what his wife just said because it’s his first time seeing her that serious. He knows that she’s very concern about him so he just agreed.

 

xxx

 

Three days have passed by and the doctor entered the room to give them the lowdown about his current condition. Xiumin has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and it’s at its worst stage already. His heart is very unstable and it can kill him anytime. After the doctor explained everything, he went out of the room leaving the two both in shock. After a few moment of silence, Jaerin finally broke into tears.

“I’m sorry.” these words repeatedly coming out of Jaerin’s lips with sobs of sadness between her words.

“Shh, stop saying that. It’s not your fault.” Xiumin embraced the other tightly.

“What kind of wife am I? I wasn’t able to take care of you hon, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t ever say that again okay? You’re a perfect wife for me.” Xiumin tried to hold his tears. “I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll look for a part time job.” Jaerin wiped off her tears and sat up.

“What are you talking about? I can still work.”

“No hon. I can’t let you work in your condition. You have to take treatments in order to get well.”

“But I can’t let you work. Just focus on your studies.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be working after my class and I promise I’ll graduate this year so promise me you’ll get well soon so we can spend time after my graduation.” Jaerin cupped Xiumin's face.

“I promise.”

 

xxx

 

Jaerin slid off the curtains sideward to let warm sunlight enter the room. Xiumin suddenly woke up when the other sat beside him. Jaerin greeted him a good morning with a sweet kiss. It’s his third week in the hospital and is continues taking therapy.

“I brought you some books so you won’t get bored.”

“Thanks. Are you off to school already?”

“Hmm. I’ll be back after my shift and I have something to tell you later so you have to wait for me okay?”

“Okay.”

“I really missed you.”

“Me too.” Jaerin kissed him again before she went off.

 

Xiumin closed the fifth book he had finished reading and he’s really bored to death. He looked at the clock on the wall for the nth time already. Jaerin's class ended an hour ago and she’s probably on her part time job right now. He can’t hold in his feelings anymore so he decided to surprise his wife and visit her at work. With that plan, he put on some casual clothes and sneaked outside the hospital.

 

There was she, gripping firmly the tray full of used and dirty dishes, while taking big but slow steps carefully inside the kitchen of the eating place she’s working. When she was only a few distance away to the sink, a crash echoed across the four walls of the room when a plate slid off to the floor. Her heart beats abnormally faster than usual as she picks up the pieces of broken glass plate, scattered in front of her. Sure she was nervous about her boss, but there was really something she felt that moment which she can’t explain not until the customers in the restaurant started shouting.

 

Xiumin just took a walk from the hospital to her workplace. It’s not a long distance walking and he wanted to breathe in some fresh air. It’s been a while since he got to walk down the city that’s why he’s very excited. He finally saw the restaurant where his wife is working at. He’s crossing the street when he felt a sudden but strong pain in his chest that made him stopped at the center of the street and everything became black.

 

Everyone was panicking when they caught sight a guy was hit by a car. Jaerin's feet lead her outside like it has own mind. She felt odd because it’s not her attitude to watch an accident but what made her feel odd even more was she’s nervous. Many people already ingathered at the scene that made it hard for her to pass through. Her eyes suddenly let out a river of tears when she saw the guy lying on the ground. Her knees dropped as she felt weaker upon confirming it is her husband. With shaky hands, Jaerin hugged Xiumin tightly as she continues weeping and shouting for help.

 

Jaerin found herself pacing back and forth the hall outside the emergency room. She doesn’t know what to think anymore as she just keeps on praying that the other will be saved. After a few minutes of waiting, the doctor came out of the room with a sad expression. She rushed inside after the doctor stated the horrible truth. There’s her husband, on the hospital bed, lifeless. She held his cold hand as her eyes started to get soggy again.

“Why did you leave us?” Jaerin asked Xiumin.

“Yes, us.” She continued talking as if the other can hear her.

“The thing I’m about to tell you later… you’re already a father.”

 


 

A/N: Omo! just omo! i don't have to do a long author's note right? well, thank you for reading this short fic of mine and please support my other stories! mwahugs everyone! ~kimmaryo