08. the case with jongup's girlfriend

thousand words

I woke up late this morning.

My cell phone had decided to die overnight - given I did leave it on to play through my playlist over the night, it still had no rights suddenly shutting off on me like that - and dismiss its job of waking me up in the morning. It was hard enough waking up on time with the five alarms I’d set back-to-back on my phone, but without any, I was a goner.

I woke up an hour later than I normally did, swatting away Jongup’s hands when he came to shake me awake. “Daehyun?” He’d been wondering why I wasn’t in the restroom when he woke up this morning; usually, I was up before he was and working on not spilling milk all over the kitchen counter while fixing myself cereal. Needless to say, Jongup learned first hand just how colorful I got when off set.

There wasn’t time to dunk in the shower and my first instinct was to grab whatever was clean - it was a Friday, meaning nothing was properly washed at this point - before tugging it on in a hurry. My upset hair, untamed, was shoved under a cap before I ran out to the soundtrack of Jongup’s laughing at me ringing in my ears.

So after all that trouble, imagine my surprise finding not a single soul in class - not even the professor. The first thought that crossed my mind was ; had there been a change in classrooms or schedule? Perhaps we were supposed to have an outside class today. The answers wasn’t in either of those options.

“What do you mean class was canceled?”

Try to imagine how I felt finding out from a classmate that first period had been canceled and I had been the only one not informed.

“Stupid Daehyun,” Youngjae laughed.

I - too gladly - hung up on him.

And that’s where I was now, huffy because I’d rushed in the morning only just to find that class had been canceled and that I’d been the only one not informed because I’d written my email address wrong on the student sign up sheet. In a way it was my own fault; but would have been so much trouble for Youngjae to tell me before I freaked out in the morning? I was going to blame this all on Yoo Youngjae.

Pushing my hat a little further down, I decidedly bought myself a little cheer up dessert, picking up a box of cheesecake from the nearby bakery. If anything would make better my ruined Friday, it was this heavenly box of cheesy fluff that had been godly bestowed upon by the angels.

My day had been of little made when I arrived back at home, stepping out of the elevator to someone standing outside. She stood just a few steps away from the bells, flicking through her phone with a curled frown creasing the brows. Her eyes flickered between her phone to the number plate on our door, ending with a sigh that didn’t quite make sense.

What was she doing outside our door?

“Uh, hey, can I help you?” I’d completely forgotten I had forgone showering and had merely shoved on an old hat to cover for tangled bed hair. Thankfully, she didn’t seem to notice - hopefully.

“Oh!” Her eyes lit a certain way as she turned around to face me. Her hand flew to her chest. (Cute.) “Hi. Sorry. I mean, I was looking for a friend …” She trailed off, looking back down at her phone then to the door. “This was the address I got…”

It wasn’t had to link two to two. Since I didn’t know her, there was only one other person living in the house; unless of course, her supposed friend had given her the wrong address.

“Are you looking for Jongup?”

“Do you know him?”

I nodded, stepping toward our front door as she stepped aside for me. “Housemate.”

“Oh thank god! I thought I got the wrong place. No one answered the door so I thought I’d come the wrong way or something. I’m Dohee, it’s nice to meet you” She sighed, trailed after me like a little puppy when I motioned her in.

She was cute, no doubt about that.

“My name’s Daehyun. You’re ... his friend?”

“You could say that.”

Jongup had a cute girlfriend - I was not jealous.

Wait. Girlfriend.

I cursed.

It was Friday, meaning the laundry wasn’t done, the fridge wasn’t full, and the house was a mess. And here I was, inviting a girl into our mancave. I was surely an idiot, the biggest one there is.

“Is there something wrong?”

I shook my head. “No, no, it’s fine.” Without letting her peek into our rooms - I didn’t know the condition of Jongup’s room, but knowing him there’d be books scattered everywhere - I led her into the living room, encouraging - begging - her to take a seat while I got her something to drink. “I hope you like orange juice.” Because we were all out of tea and coffee.

Jongup came back about thirty minutes later, giving me more than enough time to make an absolute fool of myself in front of his girlfriend. I was sure I’d permanently carved into her mind just how clumsy I could get from our first five minutes together, pouring more juice onto my hand than in the cup I was preparing for her. She laughed and called me cute, but I was positive she was thinking something else.

“Dohee?” Jongup looked surprised when he caught her in our living room, waving at him from her perch on the couches - because that’s the best I could explain how she did it. “What are you doing here?” His reaction wasn’t nearly as friendly and lovely as I’d imagined it’d be. If I didn’t know any better, I might have thought he looked almost hostile; but the fact was, Jongup didn’t know the meaning of the word hostile.

“Your mother gave me your address and demanded I go visit.”

Her reply was just as cool.

Jongup groaned, “Come on.” He nearly stomped over, pulling her up and back towards the front doors.

“Leaving already?”

“I’ll be back in a minute Daehyun.”

I laughed. “Have fun with your girlfriend.”

I couldn’t see his face, but his ears flushed and painted a shade red from behind. “She’s not my girlfriend!”

Like I’d believe that.

 

a/n: almost forgot today was update day + surgery went well + making a list of things to eat when i recover. i miss food.