Dimensions

Dimensions

It's good Taehyun says, and it is. Its nice. The feel of it on his fingertips, the scent it gives off; subtle yet consuming. He likes the way it makes him feel, light and heavy at the same time, broken but coming together in a slow yet timely way. He leans it up against the window where the sun turns its mellow waves into bright mornings. It's good and he means it more than anything. He spends a lot of time staring at it. He holds it in his mind and pulls it up whenever he begins to feel the day weighing on him. It's a self calming thing he does with images he likes. 
"Hey, I found this painting I think you'd like." Jinwoo says it in passing, like it suddenly popped into his memory on his way out the door. 
"Yeah? Can I see it?" Taehyun grips the door frame, his nails scrapping at the peeling paint. 
"Sure. I have some polaroids. I'll bring them by tomorrow." Taehyun nods. 
He finds a place for the one he likes on the wall beside the old bookshelf. It gives the apartment something. Something soft and blue and lively. He likes it even more. He thinks it's lucky he came across this. He runs his fingers across the canvas. Song Mino. His eyebrows come together as he squints at the name lightly pencilled in at the bottom right corner. He hadn't noticed it before. After a quick Google search, he finds that he's a local artist working mostly in neo-expressionism and primitivesm. Really raw, gritty stuff. Things colliding here and there, black, red, yellow, loud and dark. Nothing like the piece hanging in his living room. These images were almost songs. He can hear a slick hip hop beat drumming in his ear as he scrolls through Mino's online portfolio. Its interesting. Its intriguing. Not really Taehyun's style but definitely something he wants to see more of. 
"Oh, that? I found that at a yardsale. " Jinwoo says, looking up at the painting. "It's nice, right? It looks good in here." 
"Do you remember the person who sold it to you?" Taehyun asks. 
"No. Why? You want to give it back?" 
"No, no. I just....I want to see more of their work." Jinwoo nods. 
"Ah, well, I don't think the person who sold it was the artist. She basically gave it to me. She seemed more than willing to get rid of it. I've never seen anyone so eager to get rid of something they made. Especially when it's so nice." Jinwoo wipes his hands on his jeans and reaches into his back pocket. "Here. I took these for you." Taehyun takes the polaroids and lays them out on the table one by one. They're soft and blue and lively like the one hanging there. Taehyun feels his heart leap. One that looks like a group of white jellyfish swimming up towards the sunlit surface hits him particularly hard. He wants it. Jinwoo smiles. 
"I knew you'd like that one." 
"It's nice." 
"Luckily for you, I know where you can find it." 
Taehyun makes the drive one rainy afternoon. The polaroid with the address scribbled on the back bends and crumples gently in his hand. Taehyun stands in the rain for a bit, until someone finally buzzes him in. 
"You're Jinwoo's friend?" Mino asks, pouring them both a cup of coffee. Taehyun lingers in the entrance, eyes glued to the display of colors on the walls. 
"Yeah." Taehyun says. "Did you do all of these?" Mino hands Taehyun a cup. 
"Yeah." 
"It's so different from the stuff on your website." Mino hids his smile behind the rim of his mug. 
"I don't sell that stuff. That's mostly for show....for myself too." Taehyun nods.
"Who are these for?" Mino lets his eyes wander to the open window on the other side of the apartment. 
"No one really." Taehyun can see the lie as if it was written on his face. 
"What about this one?" Mino takes the picture and smiles to himself. 
"It's for you, if you want it." 
"I do." Mino leaves and comes back with it. He lays it on the table and stands back, his arms folded across his chest. Taehyun leans in so close, he feels he might fall into that perfect blue ocean. He wants to, he wishes for it. The feeling bubbling up in his chest is like drowning, aching; water filling up his lungs, his blood turning into the salty sea; the sun calling him up from somewhere deep. 
"You alright?" Mino asks, a hint of amusement in his voice. Taehyun takes a deep breath and a step back. 
"How much do you want for it?" Mino waves his hand.
"It's yours." 
"No, I couldn't." 
"Sure you can. It's really expensive but I don't think you could part with it now." 
"I can pay you in payments." 
"Sure. If you want to." Taehyun pulls out his wallet and hands all bills inside to Mino, who takes them silently. Mino wraps the painting in an old paper bag and walks Taehyun to the door. 
"Oh, what's this called?" Taehyun asks, pressing the wrapped painting into his chest. If Mino wasn't standing here, he would've taken off his shirt and used it to protect it from the still falling rain. 
"Dimensions." 
"Dimensions." Taehyun repeats. Mino smiles again, a soft smile that gives Taehyun that aching, drowning feeling again. 
"Drive safe." He says, retreating inside. Taehyun grabs the door just before it closes.
"If you make anymore like this," 
"I'll let you know." Mino says. Taehyun lets the door shut. 
He finds this one looks best above his bed. He often dreams about it. Falling into it or it falling onto him. He likes it either way. Either way it's nice.