Getting Your Hopes Up is Troublesome

Another Troublesome Day

 

Jinwoo woke up to the loud sound of a vacuuming, coming from the outside of his room.

He immediately looked for his phone, with his eyes still half-closed.

"Aish! It's still 6 in the morning!" Jinwoo covered his ears with a pillow. "Quiet down!"

The vacuuming sound stopped. He heard footsteps coming towards his room.

"Yah! It's not healthy to sleep for too long. You'll die at an early age!" a deep voice filled the whole room.

Jinwoo looked at the tall, tan-skinned guy in front of him.

"Mino, I told you before, don't disturb me when I'm sleeping!" Jinwoo hit him on the leg.

"That hurts!" Mino touched his leg. "Get up! I made breakfast."

"Help me get up!" Jinwoo raised his arms in the air.

"What are you, a child?" Mino rolled his eyes and then pulled Jinwoo out of the bed.

They headed towards the dining table filled with different varieties of food.

"You prepared too many!" Jinwoo sat down. "This is enough for four people."

"Don't exaggerate. This is what you need." Mino laid down the plates. "You don't get enough nutrients, you know."

"I do get enough nutrients! You always cook for me!"

"Yeah, only when I'm here! When I leave you alone, you don't eat at all. You just buy food from the convenience store." Mino poked him in the head.

Jinwoo laughed. "You treat me like a child!"

"Well, you sure do act like one!"

Jinwoo hit him in the chest. "Hey!"

 


 

"Uah~ that tie you're wearing looks really good on you, Jinwoo!" Mino placed his arm on Jinwoo's shoulder.

"Hey, I told you to call me Jinwoo-hyung. I'm older than you!" He removed Mino's arm.

"Ehh~~ but that's weird! I'm the one who's always taking care of you. You're like my little brother!" He patted Jinwoo's head.

Like a little brother, huh?

Jinwoo placed his hands in his pockets and looked down the ground.

Yeah.. That's all I am to you. 

Mino, with his eyebrow raised, looked at Jinwoo. "What's wrong?"

"Huh? No, there's nothing wrong?" Jinwoo quickly changed his expression and laughed. "I was just thinking about something."

"Hm?.. Is that right?" He scratched his head. "You're so weird."

Jinwoo looked to his side, scratching his neck.

Damn. This is awkward. 

I need to change the subject!

"And haven't I told you not to come along with me?" Jinwoo's eyebrows furrowed. "I can take care of myself just fine. You don't have to spend your break from work everyday just to walk me to the station."

"Uhh yes, I have to." Mino folded his arms. "Remember that time when you were walking to the station alone? You got involved in a stick up! You weren't able to go to work! You went home with your legs shaking!"

"My legs weren't shaking!"

Mino chuckled. "Yes, they were."

They arrived at the train station to where they part ways.

"Oh. Here we are. Fighting!~" Mino said with his fist clenched.

 


 

Jinwoo's POV

 

Song Minho has been friends with me since childhood. We went to the same schools until high school. We managed to stay close together even now that we have our own jobs.

I live alone in my apartment while he still stays at his family's house just across mine. He always comes here to do chores. Be it doing the laundries, cleaning the house, cooking the food, anything!

He's a naturally caring person. In fact, too caring. I don't know if I should be happy for that.

 


 

Jinwoo stretched his arms and rolled his head back.

Sitting here in the office for hours made my and back numb.

A guy with a slanted eyebrows and a 5:5 hairstyle, walked towards him.

"Hyung~~ Let's go drinking tonight~~"

Jinwoo rolled his eyes as if knowing exactly whose person that voice belongs to. "Let me guess.. You had another fight with your girlfriend again, Nam Taehyun?" He looked at the guy in front.

"Yes..." Taehyun scratched his head. "Please? I don't always ask you to go drinking. Just this time, okay?"

"No. You always ask me to go drinking." Jinwoo folded his arms.

Taehyun looked at Jinwoo, with eyes that seems to be begging. "Pleeeease?"

"Aish! That's not fair! You always do that! You know I can't say no to those eyes!"

Taehyun laughed. "I win."

Jinwoo wore his coat. "Now, let's go before I change my mind."

 

 


 

"So, what's it this time?" Jinwoo drank the beer he was holding.

"Well.. She saw the adult magazines I've been hiding under my bed. She made a big deal out of it! It's normal for men to have those, right?!"

"Well, why don't you just explain that to her? Instead, you dragged me along here with you." Jinwoo stuffed his mouth with takoyaki. "That's why getting into a relationship is such a bother. A bother you have inflicted upon yourself and to those who are around you."

"Hehhh??~ I noticed that when we talk about relationships, you always get so serious." Taehyun poked Jinwoo's cheek. "Tell me, hyung. Are you in love with someone?"

Jinwoo stared blankly at him.

He's really sharp..

"Ehh~ come on, hyung! I won't tell anyone! Your secret's safe with me." Taehyun winked at him.

Jinwoo smiled. "..yes, I am." He sipped on his beer.

"Ohh~~ nice! Then confess to her! Don't waste time, hyung!" 

"I will never confess." He placed his chin on the palm of his hand. "I will never do that."

"Ehhh?... Why not?" Taehyun chugged down a whole mug. "You coward..."

"Hey. Easy on that. Don't pass out!"

"No, I won't.." Taehyun fell asleep and slammed his head on the table.

"Ahh.. Seriously! This guy!"

 


 

"That damn slanted eyebrows! Went through hell just to get him home. I should've just called a cab." Jinwoo stretched his arms. "He's too heavy! And his damn dog scared me to death!"

As he sighted the apartment building he's living in, he immediately searched his pockets. 

Where's my keys?

He took out all the stuffs inside his pockets; a lint, a piece of gum, and a receipt from the bar.

Damn. I must've left it there! But it's too far if I go back there. Besides, it must be closed by now.

"I'll just ask Mino. He has a spare key." He nodded.

Jinwoo headed towards Mino's apartment.

He walked slowly, occasionally tripping.

My vision's getting a bit blurry..

 


 

"Mino! It's me! Open the door." Jinwoo knocked on the door. "I lost my keys!"

"Jinwoo.." Mino opened the door with his eyes half-closed. "You reek alcohol.. Have you been drinking?"

"Yeah, just a bit. Taehyun dragged me into this." 

"Aish.. What to do with you." He scratched his head. "Wait here. I'll go get the keys."

Mino placed Jinwoo's arm on his shoulder and carried him.

"What do you think you're doing?" Jinwoo pulled away. "I'm not drunk!"

"Aish! Don't be like this. Just be a good boy and stay still!"

Jinwoo stood up straight. "Look! I can walk by myself, okay?" He took a step and tripped.

"You see! You can't walk!" He pulled Jinwoo up. "Don't ever drink again next time! I'm serious!"

"But I wasn't like this earlier? That's weird.."

 


 

Mino tucked Jinwoo in.

He placed a medicine, a glass of water, and a cup of coffee beside the bed. "There. Just drink those and you'll feel much better."

Jinwoo looked him in the eyes. "Why do you take care of me so much? Don't you think you're doing too much?"

"Why? Because you're my best friend. You're my responsibility!" Mino rolled his eyes. "What a dumb question."

Jinwoo covered his face with a blanket.

Geez! Why did I say that? What was I expecting?

"Hm?" Mino's eyebrow raised. "Okay..? Goodnight, I guess?" He headed towards the door. "I'll come back here tomorrow morning."

Jinwoo heard the door click and removed the blanket on his face.

"I survived another troublesome day.."

 

 



I finished this faster than I expected. I thought it would take me a day or two.

Hmm, I guess not bad for a first time fanfic writer, eh? *winks*

Well, I hope you liked the first chapter. Thank you for reading this!

I hope you guys will continue supporting this fic til the end.