Chapter 3

Make it Happen

Sehun skipped all his classes Monday and didn’t answer Tao’s calls or messages. Even Chanyeol called him, but Sehun needed to be alone for awhile. Sehun’s eyes were still puffy red when someone came to check on him later that evening. When Sehun realized it was Tao standing there outside his dorm, with a chocolate bubble tea in hands, he broke down. Tao quickly held him close, feeling his shirt getting wet with tears and moved both of them to bed because Sehun was shaking nervously. He kept whispering comfort words for Sehun, his lips pressed against Sehun’s ear speaking in a soft tone even though he had no idea of what was going on. It only made Sehun’s heart ache more.

Sehun willed himself to stop sobbing but he still couldn’t look right at Tao. He mumbled a few words under his breath, things Tao could barely catch but enough to make him understand the situation – My father, Germany, end of the semester, leave you. Tao tightened his hold.

“Is your chinese any good?” Tao asked after a long silence.

“It’s acceptable. Why?”

“I could kidnap you. I’d take to to China... My parents are dying to meet you anyway, and then you wouldn’t have to leave.”

Sehun laughed, but still sounded so hurt it was painful. “I’m the only heir in my Family. My father would call the interpol and they would find you in a blink of an eye and take me back.”

“Still is a plan...” They fell into silence again and Sehun eventually drifted off in Tao’s embrace. It was the first time he slept so well since his father’s announcement. When he woke up the full moon was bright and majestic at his window and Tao was still next to him, caressing his head and he didn’t look like he slept at all.

“Sehun, are you listening?”

“mmhmm”

“I think you should go” Sehun was having that mental flashback and was about to inform Tao that no, he didn’t slept at Tao’s office again and he was in his dorm already but then Tao continued. “To Germany, I mean.”

Sehun stood up and glared. “What?”

Tao sighed and stood up too, reaching for Sehun who gave a step back. “I... It’s your future, isn’t it? If it won’t happen now it will in 4 years. And it’s your Family. Like you said before, you’re the only heir, it’s only fair to them.”

“But what about me? How is it fair for me, too?” Sehun shouted, feeling his eyes getting watery again.

“We still could make it work. We wouldn’t have to break up just because you’re leaving. If we’re both strong, we can make it.” Tao spoke quietly, trying to get Sehun to calm down.

“It's not about us! I mean, it is, too. And it’s about Chanyeol and his gang, about my grades... but it’s mostly about me.” paused to look away. “It’s about me finally belonging somewhere. About me standing up for something for the first time in forever.” 

“If it’s about you then,” Tao spoke gingerly “You should know it’s for the best. It’s a one in a million chance. It would make you grow professionally and career-wise. You can’t throw it away, I won’t let you.”

You won’t let me? What the hell you think you are?” Sehun sounded angry and lost, as if he was on the edge of breaking down again. Tao sensed this and tried to approach him, but Sehun shoved him and turned around. He heard Tao sigh before speaking.

“Sehun, I’m only thinking what’s best for you. I’m your teacher, too, remember? I’m trying to help you. Think about it.”

“GET OUT!” Sehun screamed and Tao left, genuinely scared. Sehun sobbed even harder when he heard the door closing.

 


 

Sehun stayed away from college and everyone. He took his time to think about everything in his mind, trying to solve this whole mess. But no matter how hard he tried to concentrate in other topics, everything always came back to Tao.

He had stayed in his dorm for what it seemed like forever when Chanyeol and Jongin came to check on him. He let them go with the lame excuse that he was sick.

“Red swollen eyes means you’re sad, not sick.” One of them mentioned, but they let go anyway. Sehun wasn’t the kinda of person to talk about his issues, but they knew he would at the right time.

After a week or so of skipping classes, the college called his father, who called him immediately. Surprisingly, his father wasn’t mad at him, only worried. Sehun said he wasn’t feeling well and his dad made him promise he would see a doctor. After this phone call, Sehun felt even worse. He could never run from his Family. Sehun’s father, aside his tendency of putting business in front of everything wasn’t a bad person, and growing up Sehun always had looked up to him. He was a pretty good dad, Sehun realized, and if it wasn’t for him ‘forcing’ Sehun to the college, he wouldn’t have half of the fun he had this year. It wasn’t about inherit or legacy, it was about being loyal. And then Sehun recalled Tao had said this to him before. Tao. Again.

Tao tried to talk to him, too. He called several times and left several messages for Sehun. Tao even went to his dorm twice, but Sehun didn’t let him in. While Sehun was mad at him, he was dying to see the older, to hug and kiss and just touch Tao, to make his anxiety go away. Tao Always brought comfort to him, but Sehun couldn’t let his pride and call him back. So he settled to repeat Tao’s messages again and again. Some were just Tao apologizing over and over until his breath was gone. Other were Tao reporting how his day was, how badly he was facing it without Sehun. And there were also the late night messages with a very disoriented Tao, who probably was half sleeping when he called, just whispering sweet nothings to Sehun, something between the lines “You’re so beautiful, Oh Sehun” and “I can’t quote how happy you make me” (those were Sehun’s favorites).

And then, listening to these messages over and over again, Sehun felt like a hypocrite. He owed an apologize too, he should have reacted better. Tao only meant the best, right? 

He was in the middle of these guilty thoughts when another message came.

“Sehun, come on... I know you’re mad at me for wanting your best” Tao’s voice through the phone made him scoff “but you’re still my boyfriend, right? Don’t fade away now, please. Or at least let me see you. Why you don’t let me visit you? Let me know you’re fine. God, I .... I miss you so much, and you’re ignoring me. PICK UP THE PHONE YOU IDIOT! I know you’re just sitting there crying, but talk to me. I won’t force you to anything you don’t want, I promise. My office is so boring without you... Everything is boring without you. Let me see you. We don’t need to talk about Germany or anything, just let me see you.”

And then, Sehun’s heart melted along with his pride.

 


 

Sehun finally gave up skipping classes and procrastination after two weeks. Chanyeol’s face could have broke with the giant grin he had when he saw Sehun entering the gates that Monday.

“Look who’s finally out of the cave! Won’t the Sun burn your skin, mr. Vampire?” If the joke came from someone else, Sehun would possibly whine and let go, but it was Chanyeol, and Sehun had missed it.

“I don’t know, you tell me. But I guess with your ears, you’re closer of being an elf than a night creature!”

“Look at him, he’s back!” Chanyeol announced while putting na arm around Sehun’s shoulders, only to drop it after a very annoyed Baekhyun clear his throat. “Seriously dude, we were so worried about you. Even Baekkie was, though I don’t think he can admit it.”

Sehun smiled when Baekhyun started to hit Chanyeol. “God, Chanyeol! Stop saying things like this, as if I’m the worst person in the world! Of course I was worried, too. I’m sorry if I’m not as great to express my feelings as you are, you big jerk!”

“Oh, but it’s good, isn’t it? It means you need me~” Chanyeol cooed and Baekhyun blushed, giving up and hugging the other. Sehun’s heart ached. He had missed everything about this two idiots, and he was looking forward to see everyone else again. Actually, it was another reason why he couldn’t bear the idea of leaving Korea. At some point, Chanyeol’s gang became Sehun’s gang.

 


 

“Open your books and let’s get this started already” Someone who’s surely not Tao announced after making the morning call and then began to write in the blackboard. This was supposed to be Tao’s class. And it was, actually, Economic Sciences. But Tao was nowhere to be seen. Sehun turned around to face a smirking Chanyeol.

“Where’s Tao?” Chanyeol’s smirk became a confused look.

“What? I thought you know?”

“No, I... We haven’t been talking lately”

“Oh... I don’t know about him either. I thought with you being away and Mr. Huang too, you guys were having a honeymoon or something.” Sehun rolled his eyes. “It’s true, though. The last time I saw him was almost two weeks ago. Is he ok?”

Sehun sighed. “I don’t know.”

 


 

During the rest of the day Sehun couldn’t focus in anything. At evening he rushed to Tao’s office only to find it unlocked and empty.  Calling Tao wasn’t his original plan, or rather, Sehun would like to have Tao apologizing a little more before making a move, but he couldn’t help it anymore, he was so worried. And just the thought of talking to Zitao again felt so right.

“What the hell Tao?” Sehun grumbled when the older picked up, though he wasn’t angry anymore.

“It’s nice to hear your voice, too, princess.”

Sehun ignored the blush on his cheeks and continued. “Why you’re not showing up at school anymore?”

“Shouldn’t be I asking you this? I’m your teacher after all.” Tao teased.

“Tao, I’m serious!” Sehun pouted with his grumpy tone. He wasn’t in mood for teasing. Tao must have pictured Sehun’s pout and he laughed before speaking again.

“I know, I know. I can’t help it, I’m so happy you finally called me. Something happened and... Look, can we meet? It will be better if I talk to you in person”

“Why?”

“Because I want to see you. I need to see you, Sehun.” And maybe Tao said this not because it was a serious subject or because the phone call was starting to fail. Maybe, just maybe, he really needed to see Sehun. 

“Where?”

“My place. I can pick you if you want”

“N-no, just send me the address.” And Tao did.

 


 

Sehun had thought about being in Tao’s apartament before. Of course, the thought alone in his mind wasn’t slightly scary as it was taking a cab heading to meet Tao there. Whenever they were alone with each other, things became heated really quickly and it was a surprise that Sehun still didn’t lose his ity at Tao’s office.  Sehun couldn’t help but blush the entire ride.

When Sehun got there Tao was already outside the building wait for Sehun. He opened the door for Sehun to get out the cab, and payed the driver himself. Such a gentleman. When he leaned for a peck, though, Sehun gave a step back, hands in Tao’s chest to stop him. 

”Not here.” He whispered, cheeks a bright red. “W-which floor you leave?”

“Seventh.” Tao smiled. He wasn’t offended at all, in fact, he was expecting Sehun to play hard a little. “And by the way, the elevator is broke.”

Sehun managed to climb seven levels of stairs without showing any sign of tired, and without exchanging a word with Tao, which was even more surprising. When they reached Tao’s place he gave up.

“Someone should call the assistance to fix the elevator.”

“It’s not broken.”

“WHAT?”

Tao laughed, that same magical laugh full of sweetness that ignited Sehun’s soul, but he was too furious right now to focus. Well, maybe not too much.

“I thought a little exercise would help us to catch up.” And Sehun would like to put on a fight, because it was seven levels of stairs! But just then Tao opened his door and gestured for him to come in, and curiosity spoke louder.

Tao’s place was roomy and bright.  A fancy couch, minimalist decoration, movie posters and game systems filled the main room, and Sehun could see the kitchen behind the counter. The bedroom should be the door at left – or was that the closet? – and the whole place looked lived in, not because it was messy or something, not at all, but because had a strong aura.  The place screamed Tao. It was simple yet gorgeous.

“So, hn...” Tao started, lowering his head and playing with his fingers, like Sehun had seen him doing several times when he was nervous. “I guess you saw my messages?”

“Yes.”

“I... meant everything, you know. I’m...” He looks right at Sehun before continue. “I’m so sorry. I know I said a lot of things that hurted you and... I can’t go back and change it, but I’m really sorry.“

“I know.” Sehun whispered, moving close to hug Tao, buring his face on his neck. “I know, I’m sorry, too. I shouldn’t have reacted like that, I know you meant the best.”

A eternity passed like this, just holding each other close, no words were needed. Empathy. Love. And Sehun would have to leave this the following year. He didn’t want ruin this precious moment or to make a trend for Tao to see him crying, so he hold back the tears.   

“I don’t wanna leave” he spoke shyly.

“It’s fine, Hunnie, we don’t have to talk about it”

“We will have to, sooner or later, right?”

“Right.” Tao took a step back to look right at Sehun. “Tell me you don’t want to leave then.”

“God, I... I don’t know. I... “ Sehun paused, looking for the right words. “I finally feel like I’m an adult here. I finally have friends and people who like me for who I am, not for my dad’s last name or my bank account. And... there’s you. I don’t want to be away from you.“

Letting Tao know how he truly felt was a weight off his shoulders and seeing that gentle look from Tao after he finished was even better.

“I’m sorry Sehun, I didn’t know how much it means to you.” Tao was the one who moved closer this time, arms offering all the safety and comfort Sehun could ever want. “I won’t let you go, ok? I promise.”

And Sehun knew he shouldn’t trust this promise. That maybe Tao only said that in a simbolic way like, I won’t let what we have to die just because you’ll be in another continent. But there, involved in Tao’s embrace, Sehun trusted him with all his heart.

“Why you’re not going to school?” Sehun asked after another eternity.

“That can wait.” Tao answered, tightening his hold.

Sehun humed pleased.

 


 

After solving things with Tao, was still hard to focus on anything else. He only had a month left in Korea and everything that didn’t involve Tao seemed like a waste of time. He wanted to make memories, something he could replay in his mind when he leave, like the visit to Tao’s apartament. 

After their serious talk, Tao cooked for him, and they snuggled in the couch. The TV was playing some old concert, a band that none of them knew but the sound was nice. Tao commented he once wanted to play in a band, and Sehun had made a smart joke about it. Tao pressed close to punish him, but had a much better idea at the sign of those pink parted lips.

They kissed, TV forgotten and Tao pulled Sehun up and moved to his bedroom.  Sehun entered in a rush, Tao’s hands touching him everywhere, and he didn’t have a chance to take a look around. 

Then Tao was hovering him in bed, his lips on his neck, shirts on the ground and Sehun stiffined. He wasn’t sure if that was what he wanted. Well, he wanted but maybe not just then.  Tao stopped the minute he saw the unsure in Sehun’s eyes.

“We can stop” Tao suggested.

“W-we.... I... I don’t know”

Tao sat up, hands making small comforting circles in Sehun’s skin. “It’s ok Hunna, we’ll have time.”

And no, Sehun thought, they wouldn’t have time for anything because he would leave. But Tao was right, he couldn’t rush something like that. Sehun smiled weakly and nodded. Tao gave him a peck, stood up and left the room, leaving a very confused Sehun inside. He was about to call Tao when the older came back, turning off the lights before step in bed again, pulling Sehun to his chest and covering their bodies with a blanket.

“Let’s just sleep” Tao said, and Sehun never was so close than saying those three little words.

When Sehun woke up, Tao was hugging him from behind.

I could get used to this, he thought.

They ate breakfast together and Tao showed him his wushu instruments. Sehun whined for hours because Tao didn’t let him play with the sword. “It’s not a toy, Sehun. You could kill yourself” All those stuff.  Before Sehun leave for college, Tao gave him cinematographic kiss outside the building. Sehun’s cheeks were still pink when he reached the college gates.

Tao still wasn’t going to school and Sehun still didn’t know why, but he didn’t mind. That could wait indeed.

 


 

“Sehun, come home. We have a serious matter to talk. I’ll send my car.” Sehun’s father didn’t sound angry or anything, just serious as always. It didn’t took longer than half an hour and a private driver parked in front of Sehun’s dorm.

It was Always like this. Private drivers. Fancy suits. Extravagant rooms. Endless boredom. Sehun should be used to this circus, but every new meeting with his father was worst than the last.

It’s not like Sehun hates this, actually, he would look forward for any opportunity to learn more about his Family’s empire. One day, Sehun will be the one leading the Oh company, and people will compare all his moves to his father’s, and he doesn’t want to let everyone down.  But it’s the fake smiles everywhere and the people staring at him and only seeing dollar signs that annoys him.

Fortunately, when he arrived his parentes house, there were no agglomeration of people in the gardens, neither sports cars parked or a line of house staff dressed in monochrome colors. Maybe it was a meeting more private or just a video conference. 

When Sehun steps in the house, is not a butler who greets him, but his mom.

“Hurry now,” she said after a quick hug. “You have a importante visitor. Take a bath, I’ll ask someone to leave clean clothes in your old room.”

A important visitor could be anyone, since everyone that frequented the house was important. But she said the visitor was for him, which was new.  Anyway, Sehun gave her a short bow before going up stairs and taking a bath. 

 


 

The suit on his bed meant a show he had to put on. Maybe is someone from Germany, he thought, or a pretty rich girl whose father wanted to invest in a worth wedding. Whatever was, Sehun was used to. He could perfectly pretend interest for a night before running the next day for Tao.

Tao. Definitely the last person in the world he was expecting to see having an amusing conversation with his dad the moment he arrived his dad’s office.  Definitely the last person in the world he was expecting see drinking with his dad in the middle of a chess game.  But unless Sehun had gone mad or was dreaming, that was definitely the scene happening.

“Oh, Sehun!” His dad said after noticing him there. “Don’t be rude, come and join us.” Sehun knew what to do, how to act to impress, the same he had done several times with all his father’s visitors. But it was Tao! Drinking with his father (Since when does Tao drink?) and making the older laugh during a unpredictable cheque mate. (Since when does Tao play chess?) The older Oh saw the panic in Sehun’s eyes and laughed again.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Huang here only told me good things about you.”

“Mr. Oh, please,  Tao is fine.”

“And still, you keep calling me Mr. Oh!” and they laughed at their own sense of formality. It did nothing to ease Sehun, in fact, made things worse. Wide eyes, lips parted and Sehun didn’t know where to look or where to run. “I called you here because this young man, who happens to be your professor,”  His father continued, placing a hand on Tao’s knee “seems to have more economical sense than me!”

“He’s my economic sciences teacher” Sehun said, voice raspy and low. He looked a Tao who gave a reassurance nod.

“Damn right, he is!” Mr. Oh announced. The excitement in his voice echoing in the room. “I’ve been talking to him these last weeks, and talking about how you’re doing well.“ He paused to take a sip of his drink and Tao spoke.

“I hope you don’t mind, Mr. Oh.”

“N-not at all”

“Anyway,” The Oh senior continued “He came here with your recente tests and when I saw your grades, son... I never knew we had a genius on this Family!” he laughed, Tao followed with a chuckle and Sehun only gulped. ”But it’s a good thing he came! We talked and I realized sending you to Germany would be terrible.”

Wait, what? W H A T?

What?”

“Your grades are extraordinary, Son. It’s a gift you have, most of the people have difficult in finance and economy. Right, Tao?” Tao nodded, rearranging the chess tables “And if you go to Germany, you’ll have to take time to learn a new language, and you’ll have to meet new people. I’m sure this things will harm your performance in college. That’s why I say we will keep you here to finish your studies. I hope you understand we’re thinking what’s best for you.“

“YES!” Sehun shouted, and stood up to hig hus father, glancing at Tao while he spoke “Yes, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

The Oh senior was confused but he hugged his son back right away. Sehun wasn’t the clingy type of son with his mom, left alone with his dad. But he welcomed the gesture. In fact, he missed this closeness with his son.

“Welcome?” Sehun step back and his father saw his watery eyes. “Son... If you wanted that bad to stay, you could have told me.”

“N-no, it’s not that!” He lied. He would never tell his Family. No matter how much he hated the idea, he couldn’t let his parents down.

“Are you sure?” Sehun nodded. “Ok then... And in four years... Well, in four years, I’ll be close to retire and your mom loves European brands. Maybe we’ll move to Germany while I let you taking care of our business here. Sounds good?”

Sehun bowed ninety degree for his father. “Sehun, now you’re being ridiculous and we’re having a guest. Stand up.” There it was, that lifeless businessman tone in his father voice. It was somehow a relief that Tao didn’t make a brainwash in his father.

Tao. Who was smiling at him so beautifully.  Sehun’s body was aching to hold Tao, but he knew he couldn’t, not there. 

 


 

After the talk, Sehun’s dad insisted Tao should stay for dinner, which he complied. Tao had the manners of a gentleman the whole dinner, and Sehun added this at the list of things he would ask Tao later.

“I hope it’s not weird for you, dining with your teacher.”  Tao said, Sehun the only one to sense the sarcasm in his words. In other circumstances, he would be part of the teasing too.

“N-not at all” Sehun muttered. Having dinner with your teacher who also happens to be your boyfriend, along with your complete oblivious parents is the problem, he added in his mind. 

Fortunately, the dinner didn’t extend for too long, and Tao was saying goodbyes to Sehun’s parents while Sehun stood awkwardly at the door. He heard his father asking for a revenge in chess, and he scoffed. Seriously? Whether it was being jealous because Zitao was his boyfriend or outraged because no father should keep a intimate relationship with his son’s teacher, all Sehun wanted was the night to end already.

“Sehun, I can give you a ride if you’ll come back to the dorms.” Tao asked.

Okay, maybe the night could go on for a few more hours.

 


 

“That night, when you kicked me off your room, and later too, when you wouldn’t talk to me or come to the classes, I was so worried that I had screwed everything with you. I thought you wanted to break up with me, and I... I didn’t want to give up without a fight.” Tao sounded so honest, and Sehun couldn’t look anywhere else, even with the beautiful lights of the city passing through the dashboard of Tao’s car. “So I took a few days off from work and went to talk with your dad. I didn’t mentioned Germany at first, I only said that you’re my best student, and with everyone else drowning along with their grades, I asked him if you could work part-time as a tutor.”

“You lied to my father?”

“It was for a good case!” Tao laughed. “Anyway. He was so surprised seeing your performance reports. He said you never talk to him about college, or anything.”

Sehun sighed, leaning to rest his head on Tao’s shoulder. “I don’t. He wouldn’t listen anyway.”

“Yeah... He loves you a lot, you know?” Sehun nodded. “Good... When he first mentioned Germany to me, he was telling me how you guys don’t talk much, and he... he misses you a lot, Sehun. I told him how moving so suddenly would make it hard for you to keep your accomplishment and beyond that, sending you to another country wouldn’t make things better for your relationship. I guess it was the later that changed his mind. Though I don't think he will ever admit it.”

“Wow, you didn’t tell me you had a psychology degree too~” Sehun cooed just when Tao parked the car. Tao elbowed him.

“I was only trying to help, you ungrateful kid!”

“I know... and I’m so happy right now” Sehun said, throwing his arms around Tao, like he wished he could have done it earlier. “Thank you” he whispered a thousand times.

“You don’t have to thank me, you know. I did it for both of us” Tao said, voice muffled in Sehun’s hair and that was it, the breaking point. Sehun couldn’t hold it inside him anymore.

“I love you” Tao said it first, taking his breath away.

“Y-you do?” Is what Sehun asks instead of replying.

“Yeah... I do. I don’t want to scare you or anything. You don’t even need to say it ba-“

Sehun interrupted Tao’s words with a gentle yet passionate kiss. Tao loved him. And Sehun tried to use the kiss to show he felt the same.

“I love you, too.” Sehun said when he pulled back, fingers caressing Tao’s neck and cheeks blushing. “I don’t like that you’re my father’s chess buddy or that you don’t let me play with your wushu stick-“

“SWORD”

“But I love you.” He smiled. Tao was smiling, too, when he leaned to press their lips together again. It didn’t have coffee everywhere and Tao’s chest was covered with his jacket, but somehow was even better then their first kiss.

Only when Sehun pulled away for the second time, he realized they were in Tao’s building.

“Won’t you take me home?” He asked.

“Thought you could spend the night.” Tao said gesturing with his head like a cat “Cuddle a little.” Sehun laughed and nodded. He was in love with a professional cuddler.

 


 

The next morning Sehun decided to skip class, to stay in bed all day and to never leave Tao’s embrace. His finals were coming and he had three missed calls from Jongin and one from his dad. But all that could wait. Everything could wait. He wasn’t going anywhere.

“I’m not going anywhere” He promised Tao, head on the older’s bare chest, enjoying his warm.

“I know. Me neither.”

And that was everything Sehun needed to hear. Tao already had a history of keeping his words, Sehun recalled, smiling.

“What if you get bored of me? What if you find another smart kid and decide I’m not good enough for you?” Sehun asked, not in a bitter tone, just teasing. Tao yawned before answering and Sehun laughed.

“That won’t happen, don’t worry.”

Sehun stopped himself to lean up and kiss Tao because – ugh, morning breath – so he settled to peck Tao’s chest over and over, making him shiver. Tao gave a sharp inhale when Sehun started to switch between pecks and small . Sehun laughed at the older who was flush red and he stood up. They would have time for this, they would have all the time in the world for everything.

Outside the snow was falling peacefully, just like Sehun had fell for Zitao.

And the snow days were just beginning.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So yeah, this is it! How cheesy was this whole story ending, hn? Well it's taohun, so it kinda has to be disgustingly cute~ Have you seen their interview for the Celebrity Magazine? (╯ಊ╰)

Thank you everyone who read, subscribed, commented and voted! You guys had no idea how happy you've made me! /  

(~ ̄▽ ̄)~ /throw love at your beautiful faces/ * * * * *

Also, happy holidays! My best wishes for all of you and your families!