Let's talk about business

Talk Business, Talk Love

Mkay, let's go. Enjoy & please leave a comment :)

 

________________________________

“So, Woohyun, what do you think about my idea?”

The loud, low voice of his father was like a thunder, ripping him out of his own world he was so immersed in.

That happened more often than not. He would sit with his family around big, wooden table in his parent's dining room, eat delicious food prepared by professional chief (really nice, old man hired ages ago by his mother) and smile at them constantly... while thinking about completely different things. Be it the newest, hottest club that opened about month ago and employed really hot bartenders; latest Marvel movie he HAD to see with his friends; or really, anything else than his family's business.

Not that he was uninterested or ignorant about his job. Since his early childhood days he was being prepared for taking over his father's company. And he didn't mind at all. Why would he? Leading a company that produced and sold various kind of candies wasn't maybe his dream job, but it sure provided a nice working place with decent (who he was kidding – more than decent) salary, secure position and space for other activities. He wasn't keen on pulling the rebellious kid act and decline the offer.

But that was part of the problem. Since he never put up a fight, everyone begun to engage him in business matters since god-knows-when. Not that he was capable of making any vital decision – his father just liked informing him about everything. And since that “everything” was kind of limited when it came to selling sweets... well, how thrilling could lemon candy get when you hear about it for ten years?

“... Sorry, father, I must have spaced out a bit. What is that brilliant idea of yours?”

His eyes met with half-amused half-annoyed glare of his father. The head of Nam family was used to his son's wandering mind, so he let it slip – as usual.

“I was talking to Mr. Lee... and he seemed glad with the contract conditions. We are yet to set the date of all the legal arrangements, after all they need some supervision before taking the final step, but...”

Woohyun furrowed his brows. Lee? He tried to remember any important manager or higher rank worker with this name, but nobody came across his mind. What was that about?

“... he relies on his secretary so much. Not to blame him, though, the young one seems to know his way around the business...”

Secretary? Now the brown haired man was really confused. The only people with secretaries in their company were president, vice-president and heads of departments. None of them was named Lee.

“... So your cooperation will be very important for the whole deal. You should be really happy, he's very reliable.” His father smiled brightly, focusing on his plate. His wife smiled too, looking at her son with pride written all over her face. She was sure her husband's plan (especially the parts that were still a mistery to her only son) would succeed not only in making their company better, but also in helping Woohyun grow up and settle down.

“Uhm... you mean, Mr. Lee?” the young man asked, praying that the question was somewhat in the context of their conversation. Damn, he should really work on his attention span.

Mr. Nam rolled his eyes, knowing very well that his son didn't listen to him.

“Mr. Lee is the owner. But the secretary you will work with is named...”

 

 

“Kim Sunggyu! Would you kindly stop running around like a crazy person and come eat with us!”

Young man with reddish hair hissed silently before turning around and staring at the other side of the kitchen. There, by the window surrounded by beautifully blooming flowers, was sat his second family.

“But Mrs.Lee, the cake...”

“It will be fine, honey, just sit and talk with us”.

It was always like that. Every sunday the wife of his boss would invite him over for dinner. When Sunggyu came, he would instantly start helping in the kitchen – trying to make everything perfect and somehow compensate for the trouble he thought he caused. Everything would end up with the married couple sitting silently,watching their worker doing everything his hosts were originally supposed to.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee didn't really mind – they found it cute, how worried about everything Sunggyu was. It actually reflected his personality a lot – he tried to take control and make up for the intrusion. Only, he wasn't intruding – they treated him like their own son... who was to lazy to do anything by himself.

Finally Mrs. Lee snapped, coming up to Sunggyu and forcing him to sit down on his usual chair, between the couple.

“We really have to talk, preferably before Sungyeol decides he's hungry and comes down to eat everything” - the woman pointed up to the first floor, where their son sleeped in, probably exhausted after long night of partying.

Sunggyu nodded, grabbing his chopsticks and waiting for his boss to start this so important conversation. He didn't really know what was so big about this particular dinner – they had it every week and it always ended up with discussing businnes things. Why today's converation was exceptional?

Mr. Lee cleared his throat, before grabbing his chopsticks as well and settling for the easiest way to start the topic. “You know how our company, altough small, is doing well”.

Sunggyu nodded again. Sure, Mr. Lee owned only a few candy shops, relying more on the tradition and regular customers. Just recently he hired more people to promote their products online, get outside with their name. For the small business, they coped really well though – well enough for the boss to hire him as his secretary.

The position name wasn't really fitting. He was with them long before they started going out and trying to get people to notice them. Before that, he worked as candy maker, shop assistant, manager, accountant and whatnot. Finally, after opening another place under their name, Mr. Lee decided it's time for someone to help him with managing the company as a whole. And Sunggyu was the only possible choice – after all, who would be better than a person that went through everything with them?

“I know we take pride in our tradition and our passion for sweets... but there is only so much we can do with our current budget and connections...”. Now Sunggyu was worried. He didn't like the direction this conversation was heading in. He liked that the business was small, they made enough money to live comfortably and even invest in various improvements. He liked that he knew all the people that worked under him. Why to fix something that isn't broken?

“So, we” Mr. Lee grabbed his wife's hand and looked at the redhead with a smile “decided it would be better to start working with a bigger company.

Sunggyu widened his eyes, looking at his boss and Mrs. Lee with confused look.

“You mean...” he started with unsure voice “a...”

 

 

“Merge? Why, do we need it?” Woohyun asked, rubbing his temple. He wasn't prepared for such news. “I thought we were done for now, after signing with this American company...”

“Not that we need it,” his father shrugged, grabbing his glass and taking a sip. “But I know the owner. We decided on joining forces. It won't be a merge in the exact meaning, more like... cooperation.”

The young man tilted his head. “Cooperation? Seriously? The biggest company in the country cooperating with local business? What for?”

Not that he was against the idea. He could see the appeal of smaller, family business – it was the trend after all. “I like it” he quickly admitted, in case his father was going to get angry. “I just don't see why”.

He was not expecting the smirk that appeared on his dad's face. “Well, son. You'll find out soon enough. For now, let's eat” he looked at the almost untouched dishes before him “before the food gets...”

 

“COLD. It's so cold! Why did I open the window? Oh! Sunggyu hyung, didn't see you here, you came for dinner? Mom? Dad? Why are you so silent, god, this smells sooo goood, did hyung cook again? Why the long face, hyung? Cheer up, I heard you will get new, hot boss to work with. What was his name, Wooyoung? Whatever, just let me know if you need promotional photos for your new line of candies... or should I say their new line? Whatever, I didn't model for a long time, even commercial photos are fine. Why are you silent? Hello?”

 

Sunggyu stared as his boss' son, Sungyeol, came down and started babbling away, grabbing the biggest plate and scooping majority of prepared food for himself. Half listening and half having a mental breakdown, he poured his friend a glass of water, putting away the glass with loud knock.

Merge.

Merging with a bigger company.

Merging with a bigger company with hot boss.

Merging with a bigger company with hot boss that he was supposed to work for from now on.

 

“What am I going to do?!”.

 

 

“Mom? Dad? Hyung? I think something is burning in the oven...”

 

____________________

Whoa now this was short. Treat it as a warm-up. I thought about this story for soo long, but started writing it only today. I'm a bit impatient so I decided to post something as soon as I'll get it done.

Don't worry, if something is not clear now (f.e. Sungyeol's occupation etc.) I sure will explain it later on. As I said, I have been thinking about details and small things. I hope I won't let you down with this  :D

Once again, sorry for my english.

Please, leave some support (_-_)

love!