Truth

Hope

As you opened your eyes, the first thing you saw was the white ceiling and you were lying comfortably on your bed.

It must be a dream.

Your bed? No, it wasn’t your bed. And it wasn’t a dream; you were still in your clothes you wore with blood stains on it, the dead woman’s blood. Events that happened earlier in the day flashed past your mind and you bolted out of bed, which caused a short dizzy spell as insufficient blood ran up to your head. You shook your head in an attempt to get blood up there quickly. It have been the nth time you asked the same question, but, where were you? There were thousands of questions you had and you knew you needed answers.

You looked around you, a normal, small bedroom with only a bed and an empty wooden cupboard. You walked up to the door to open it but hesitated when you had your hands on the door knob. Were you ready to face what’s out there? You weren’t sure so you took a deep breath and as you garnered enough courage to turn the door knob, the knob turned and the door was opened from the outside making you jump backwards in defence.

Behind the door, a cute looking guy peeped in shyly.
“Oh, you’re awake!” he exclaimed and gave you a soft smile that managed to stop your rapidly pounding heart. “My name is Lee Tae-min, 21, I am the maknae of the team. Let’s meet the others! We’ll explain everything to you in the living room.” Slowly, you followed Taemin as he led the way. You were high on alert though, being very cautious about everything as you scanned any route for possible escape, just in case.

Outside, you saw 4 other equally good-looking guys waiting for you, including the one that saved your life and brought you here. They were all in a similar attire, a black suit with wired earpiece, like bodyguards you see in dramas. Were you seriously not in a dream?

“Greetings Miss Somang, my name is Lee Jin-ki, you can call me Onew I am the leader of this team.” A golden haired boy bowed down to you and said. He had really cute eyes that could kill you if cuteness could kill. “This is Kim Jong-hyun, the best fighter of our team.” Onew pointed to the one with platinum-white dyed hair and super built muscles like it were going to rip through his shirt anytime. Wow. You couldn’t resist but stare. Jonghyun caught you staring and let out a proud smirk and nod his head in acknowledgement to Onew’s introduction.

“I’m Kim Ki-bum, Key for short. The best strategist there is in this country.” The boy that looks like a fox boasted with no signs of shame for his ego as he stared straight down at you. His flawless skin made you jealous and filled you with admiration. For some reason, you felt your attention being pulled towards him as if he had this magnetic attraction force despite the disgust he was showing towards you.

“Choi Min-ho.” Minho spoke up. You recognized him as the one that saved you earlier. He was still eyeing you with a look of concern, though he quickly brushed it away when he spotted you turning to him. So that’s his name, Minho.

“We’re South Korea’s top secret service team – SHINee that’s assigned to protect the President.” Onew explained. “The President has recently received threats ever since the last unsuccessful meeting with the North. The details of the meeting are to be kept confidential so we are unable to reveal much of the situation to you right now. As such, the men dressed in black you saw a few hours ago were suspected to be from the North and are attacking Seoul to strike fear and to gain power against the President.”

“So, if you’re assigned to protect the President then why are you here? And what have this got to do with me?” You asked

“Because it’s you, Park So-mang.” You felt all five eyes looking at you, waiting for your reaction for what’s coming up next. You gave all of them a confused look.

“The threats that the President is receiving isn’t death threats towards himself. It’s to his only family, you, Park So-mang.”

“What?” You demanded

“You are the only daughter of the President. The threats were towards you. With you in their hands, they would be able to control the President of this country. So, we are given direct orders from the President to protect you, and you only. We’ve been watching you for months, protecting you from any such attacks. Those men today were after you, and you’re now in a safe house with us. We’ll have to leave soon though” Onew continued and he eyed his watch while keeping tabs on your condition as you take in the truth.

“You can’t actually expect me to believe that.” You were surprised by their explanation. It wasn’t something you were prepared for. You found it absurd. For 20 years of your life, you’ve always been in a slightly more well to do family, living a normal life. For you to be the daughter of the President just wasn’t possible.

“It’s true. Believe it.” Key spat as he showed you a picture of the President cradling you in his arms and a birth certificate, your birth certificate to show that you were truly the President’s daughter. No wonder your mother never showed you any verifications of your birth before. Was it because of this? The truth about your birth.

You kneeled down to the floor as you picked up the picture and birth certificate with your trembling hands. Your heart pounding as you shook your head left and right, not believing that this was true. You didn’t want to believe it because by accepting the truth, you would accept the fact that for the past 20 years you had been living your life as a lie. Everything about you, was a lie. You couldn’t accept that. Your loving parents, your sister, you couldn’t believe that they were all fake.

“NO! This can’t be true! I don’t believe you!” You shouted, tears b your eyes. SHINee had proven to you that it was true, and you knew it, but you were in denial. This wasn’t something you could just take in and be cool with.

Shinee looked at you and analyzed every facial expression and movement you made all with expression of concern.

“You lost your memory when you were 8, didn’t you. That was the age you were sent away from the President. For you to live a normal life.” Jonghyun said in a low and soft voice, as if he was trying to comfort you and make sense of things for you.

“They said it was due to a high fever…” You mumbled to yourself.

“I’m sorry for having to break all this to you now. But you have to be strong because the situation ahead will be much more dangerous.” Onew soothed you by patting your back. You closed your eyes and let the tears flow, forcing yourself to accept your new life.

 

A voice of urgency broke the silence in the room.

“They’re here, we got to move. Now!”