Caramel Apples

Caramel Apples

Seo Joohyun wanted to live a mediocre life, earning money from a mediocre job with a mediocre husband, but no. Fate has somehow conned her into living this dramatically life living as a nanny to the leader of the city’s infamous underground gangs.

Joohyun mutters some incoherent words before proceeding to stab the innocent apple at the core, earning a glare from Minhyuk. At this point of time she does not care that nearly everyone in the room can kill her with a snap of her neck because of someone named Jung Yonghwa.

Years ago if someone were to tell her that she would be working alongside the city’s infamous underground gangs, she would most likely scoff and walk away. But, here she is, slicing red apples because someone refuses to eat green apples.

“ing Jung Yonghwa won’t eat green apples.” She hisses, pouring caramel over the slices like they are toxic waste that would kill him in a single bite. “What’s wrong with green apples?” She asks to the room, putting a slice into before picking the plate up.

“You know,” Jonghyun stops her, earning another glare from the girl, “you’re the only one who can talk to Yonghwa that way.”

With that, she rolls her eyes, “Is that supposed to be a compliment?”

“I’m saying that he likes you.”

“Oh, off.” She replies, pushing him away.

Jonghyun chuckles as he takes a dart in his hand, hitting bull eyes without any effort.

 

Yonghwa presses a cold can of beer upon Joohyun’s split lip as he scans her face for more injuries.

“What are you thinking about?” He questions, moving her closer to his lap without scaring her any further. She had had enough scares tonight.

“How I should have left you to die in my yard that night.” She replies, without batting an eyelid.

Yonghwa chuckles, taking out a band aid with his free hand. Joohyun promptly moves, taking the can from his hand so he could move more freely. She ignores the blush creeping up her cheeks, blaming the heat when he asks her a minute later.

“You know you’ll be charged with murder if you left me there.”

“Why did you even have to bleed on my yard? Why not my crappy next door neighbor?” She asks, hands flailing everywhere and then Yonghwa takes them into his left hand, begging her to stay quiet.

“Minhyuk will kill me if he sees you injured like this. I swear he cares more about you than his own boss.” He whispers, inching in closer to clean her wounds.

“Ouch!” Joohyun shouts when he places too much pressure on her upper lip.

She could not even go out without getting attacked from one of Yonghwa’s rival. What, did he offend the entire South Korea or something?

“Either you stay here or leave with me. Understand?” He whispers, his lips hovering just above hers.

Joohyun nods, blushing like a beet root.

“Good.” He replies with a smirk as he leans in, claiming her lips as his.

 

“Yonghwa!” Jonghyun runs in, interrupting Yonghwa’s meeting with the previous leader of their clan.

Yonghwa glares at him, turning to apologise to Yongguk as Yongguk takes his cue to leave with his right-hand man, Himchan.

“This better be good.”

“Joohyun, she’s- she’s been taken by Yoona’s gang!”

“Wait, what” Yonghwa grabs Minhyuk by his collar, “you were supposed to keep her safe! You told me I could trust you.” Minhyuk lets out a soft apology, knowing nothing could subdue his rage at the moment.

In a flash, he has his gun ready to fire, but he is stopped by a familiar hand, Jonghyun, “We have no time for this, you know it.”

With a growl, he lets go of Minhyuk. “I’ll kill you myself if she is injured.”

“We’ll get her.” Jonghyun promises, nodding towards the rest of the guys as they each run out, grabbing whatever they see and get into the vans, screaming as they drive off.

 

Unlike their looks, the girls are not to be trifled with. Even to Yonghwa’s clan, they are of another standard. They use their intelligence and beauty to their advantage, each member could use their skills to get rid of a gang singlehandedly.

Somehow, they have heard and seen Joohyun and they wanted her to join them.

Yonghwa is not letting them touch a single hair on his lady.

 

“Hey, girls, look who came!” Taeyeon, the eldest shrieks in joy, ignoring the cold stares they are receiving. She slides down on a pole from the second floor as Yonghwa steps forward.

“Give Joohyun back to me.” He demands.

Yoona saunters in, her heels clicking in delight as she comes face-to-face with the man she had her eyes on for a long time.

“Will you stay with us to play if we return her?”

Yonghwa rolls his eyes, beckoning Jonghyun to step forward. Jonghyun throws the suitcase he was holding in Sooyoung’s direction. She scans them, crouching down. Wads of bills bring sparkles in her eyes, waving them in the air.

Yoona whistles and Taeyeon drags an unwilling Joohyun with her. She bites her lips, looking up to Yonghwa before Yoona grabs her by the hair, making Yonghwa move forward, but abruptly stops when Taeyeon fishes out a silencer up to her temple.

“Leave all your weapons on the floor and kick them here, or else.” She says, waiting for them to do so.

Yonghwa removes his gun from his inner jacket, kicking it forward, signalling the rest to do the same. Taeyeon exchange glances with Yoona, pushing Joohyun towards them.

Hold on, isn’t this too easy? Yonghwa ignores the question, rushing forward to embrace Joohyun.

“Yoona, I win.” Joohyun suddenly says, chuckling as she pushes Yonghwa away. “$50, .” She demands as Yoona slaps the bill into her hand, waving the money in front of Yonghwa’s eyes.

“Don’t you remember me? You killed my mother in front of me, without even a second thought, boom! She was gone, perished from the world.” Joohyun laughs heartedly, grabbing the silencer from Taeyeon’s hands.

“No, I thought I had made it up to you, I swore I did everything I could but-“

“You pretended to die in my yard knowing I would save you without even a second thought that I might remember you?” She laughs, “You make me laugh, Jung Yonghwa. Tell my mum I miss her.”

Bang.