1xx

Porcelain Doll

Chapter One: Porcelain Doll                


The sound of fallen leaves rustling filled Jongin's ears. He sat on the couch waiting for his grandmother who was coming over for the holidays. It's not like Jongin didn't like his grandmother, it's just that rather than waiting for her like his mother told him to do, he would rather be in his room, sleeping the cold away. Something a normal teenager would be doing right now.

After a few minutes of constant yawning a knock finally rang through Jongin's ears. “Go get the door Jongin.” His mother says from his parent's bedroom. The young male shoots up from his position and walked towards the door and twisted it to be greeted by his grandmother.

Jongin,” She smiles as she places kisses on his cheeks. “My, you've grown into a handsome man. I haven't seen you in so long.” She says as years of lines form on her face as she smiles.

Please, come in Grandmother.” Jongin says politely as he widens the door and let's the aged woman inside. “You must be really cold, where's Grandpa?”

It's just me this year Jongin.” She answers as she places her bags on the floor. Jongin replies with a small “oh” as he bends down and picks up her baggage and places the bags in the spare room.

Mother, you're here.” Jongin hears as his mother greets his grandmother with open arms and a loving smile. “I'm glad you could make it. We'll be having dinner soon.” She smiles.

xxxxxxxxxx

It was the day before Christmas Eve and Jongin was sitting on his bed, his phone in his hands texting until he hears a knock on his door. Looking up he saw it was his grandmother. “Can I come in?” She asks as Jongin nods and looks back down on his phone, not paying any heed to his grandmother. “Jongin, do you believe in having a second life?” Jongin looks up from this sudden question. His grandmother would occasionally ask him strange questions especially about superstitions.

I mean, I don't fully believe in it but there maybe a possibility.” He shrugs.

You know,” she starts, “human's souls have two lives or to say, people have two chances of living. But for the second chance, they have to be wanted to have another chance. If no one wants them alive they would forever roam or go away.” She says as she points up, signaling that they go to heaven. “The point is, everyone has two chances of living. You might not even know this, but some of the souls stay in hollow objects and we may not even know about it. They could be just watching us from afar not doing anything.” She smiles. “Do you have a lover, Jongin?” She asks suddenly as Jongin shrugs. “C'mon, you're a good looking boy, I know you have one.”

Thank you.” Jongin smiles sheepishly as he puts down his phone.

I'm glad I had this talk with you.” His grandmother smiles as she stands up from the chair she was sitting on. “I hope you'll like your present I'm giving you later.”

xxxxxxxxxx

Jongin slightly yawns as he walks down the stairs a few minutes before it struck midnight. “Come over here, Jonginnie.” His mother smiles as he sits on the floor wearing his favorite hoodie covering his tired eyes. “It's time to open gifts.” She smiles. “Merry Christmas everyone.”

Merry Christmas.” Everyone smiles as they all exchange their gifts. Jongin opens his gifts and receives a pair of shoes, clothes, and some money from his parents.

Here's my gift.” His grandmother says as she hands Jongin a rectangular box wrapped in blue. He smiles as he says thank you and opens the box. Inside contained a doll. A porcelain doll to be exact.

Oh, it's beautiful.” His mother says as she peeks from behind him. It was a male porcelain doll, it had pale white skin, light brown hair, he had heart shaped lips that were slightly colored red, and it had big beautiful glossy brown eyes. Jongin admits, it was a beautiful doll but, he was a male, not a female.

T-thank you.” Jongin smiles, he didn't want to disappoint his grandmother. He knew it was rude to say he didn't like the gift. “It's really... beautiful.”

I'm glad you like it. His name is Kyungsoo. Be careful of him, don't drop him or else he'll break.” Jongin nods from his grandmother's heed.

Well, it's getting late. We should all get some sleep.” Jongin's father says. “Goodnight and Merry Christmas.” He smiles as Jongin closes the box that contained the doll -- Kyungsoo -- and carried everything to his room.

Getting a doll for Christmas was a bit strange. Did his grandmother forget he was a boy before visiting? She was a bit old, he couldn't blame her.

He sat on his bed and opened the box again. Jongin stares at Kyungsoo and slowly lifts him up. Whoever crafted Kyungsoo was really skilled, the way they made the eyes look so real and full of emotion was breath taking. His face looked so realistic, Jongin wouldn't be surprised if the structure of the doll's facial features were from a human. Jongin the doll's soft brown hair and uncovered it's eyes. It felt like the doll was looking back at him. Jongin glanced at the clock and it was getting late. He placed Kyungsoo back in his box and closes it placing it on his desk before turning off the lights and covering himself with the covers.

xxxxxxxxxx

In the middle of the night Jongin starts hearing rustling sounds. Thinking it would just go away he covers his head and closes his eyes but the rustling sounds sounded like tissue paper being moved around. He sits up and turns on the lamp next to him and looks around. Nothing was in his room, maybe it was just the air from the air conditioner blowing towards the box Kyungsoo was in. That was the only thing in his room that contained tissue paper. Looking at the box's direction, he was right. The box was open and there laid Kyungsoo. Pieces of tissue paper were slowly being blowed by the air conditioner. Jongin covers himself with the covers again and closes his eyes not hearing sounds of the tissue paper being moved around as he slept.

xxxxxxxxxx

As the rays of light hit Jongin's eyes he sat up with swollen eyes. He was tired and he wanted more sleep. Jongin fell back on his bed and covered himself with his covers. As he closed his eyes a knock on the door was made. He grunts signaling he was still asleep but the knocking unfortunately continues. “It's opened.” He groans as he hears the door open with a slight creek. He hated that sound, it was so bothersome.

Good morning Jongin, Merry Christmas.” Jongin uncovers his eyes to see it was his grandmother.

Merry Christmas Grandma.” Jongin says sluggishly as he notices his grandmother kept looking inside Kyungsoo's box with a smile. “Is there something wrong?”

His grandmother looks up and smiles. “No, nothing at all.” She says as she glances at the porcelain doll once again before leaving the room. Why did she keep looking at the doll? Jongin stands up and walks towards the doll.

The doll was covered with a blanket and it had a pillow supporting his head. Was the blanket there before? Jongin didn't notice these things. As he looks closer he notices Kyungsoo's eyes were closed. Jongin closes his eyes and shakes his head, the doll probably has the movement eyes. The ones that close when they lay down, that's right. The male opens his eyes again and looks at the doll. The doll's eyes were opened. Jongin looked again, he felt like he was going crazy unless he was. He quickly closes the box and leaves his room to go downstairs and greet his family.

As he arrives at the kitchen is greeted with a kiss on a cheek by his mother and a pat on the back by his father. He looks around and sees his grandmother watching t.v. Jongin quickly walks towards his grandmother and sits next to her and clears his throat. “Grandma,” he starts, “I have something to ask of you. You know, about the doll.” She nods signaling Jongin to continue. “Where did you get it?”

She taps her chin. “I don't remember, why are you asking?”

Well, I feel like – no, nevermind. Thank you.” Jongin smiles as she just nods and diverts her attention back to the television screen. Asking her questions about the doll seemed a bit rude, plus Jongin didn't want a lecture from his parents that would probably last hours about how he shouldn't complain about gifts he receives.

xxxxxxxxxx

Jongin walks up to his room and sees Kyungsoo sitting on top of the box. He blinks and rubs his eyes. Okay, he definitely did not put Kyungsoo on top of the box and make him sit there. Maybe his grandmother changed Kyungsoo's position. Jongin nods to himself and looks at Kyungsoo and points at the doll. “You're peculiar in a way.” He says and then chuckles. “I'm going crazy, I'm talking to a doll.” He ruffles his hair and takes out his phone and starts texting with a smile on his face.

After a few texts he hears a sound and looks up. Kyungsoo was facing his direction. Jongin's eyes widen as his jaw drops. Who moved Kyungsoo? Is Kyungsoo like the doll in Annabelle? Jongin watched that movie with his best friend, Sehun and he almost cried. Well, not really. Was Kyungsoo going to attack him like the doll in the movie? He swallows his saliva and looks around. “Someone's pranking me, I know they are. Okay, I know you're pranking me, stop it. It's freaking me out, haha.” He laughs sarcastically.

Jongin stands up from his bed and walks out his room purposely avoiding the doll and it's possibly evil presence. He stands out and looks back at Kyungsoo, still in the same position he was in before, facing Jongin's bed. He walks towards his grandmother's room and as he was going to knock but he stops. What was he going to say to her? “I think the doll you gave me is posessed, I know it's just been one day but it's freaking me out and it's moving by itself.” He nods to himself but then as he was going to knock on the door his stops and his hand hovers over the door. He couldn't do this, his hands felt sweatly and he was a nice person. He didn't want his grandmother to feel bad for accidentally giving him a possesed doll.

Jongin walks back towards his room and sees Kyungsoo sitting there with a confused face. Was it already like that before? He sits on his bed and stares at the doll from across him. The longer he stared at Kyungsoo if felt like the doll was looking back at him. He sits there and thinks about the day prior. Did his grandmother say something about possesed dolls? As he sits there he taps his chin and thinks until a thought comes in his head. His grandmother said something about souls inside empty objects. Was is possible that there was a soul inside this porcelain doll? He looks at the doll with a small pout. “I-is there a soul inside?” He says as he moves towards the doll placed on the desk. He pulls out a chair and sits next to the doll. He wasn't sure if he was making the right move here, but you don't know until you try. He sits there for what felt like hours and he looks at the doll's eyes and saw that they were getting glossier than they were before. He stares down the doll until he hears a knock on his door.

I'm glad you're enjoying Kyungsoo.” His grandmother laughs as Jongin clears his throat. “It's okay, I like looking at dolls too.” She smiles as she walks in the room and touches Kyungsoo's hair and smiles.

I have to drink some water.” Jongin says as he clears his throat once again. His throat felt dry.

As he sipped his water while walking up the stairs he hears a conversation coming from his room. He slowly walks towards his room and hid behind the wall listening. It was his grandmother and a male voice talking. Jongin covers his mouth, his parents where downstairs and who was she talking to that had a male voice? It wasn't from a cellphone, the voice sounds like it was right there. “You have to wait until he realizes himself.”

But when would that be?” The voice answers. “He already thinks I'm possesed or something.” Jongin's eyes widen. That means, the voice came from Kyungsoo. As Jongin stood there he adjusted his stance next to the wall which made the wooden floor creak under his weight. He bit his bottom lip and glances at the floor, his raven hair covering his eyes as the conversation stops. He knew he was busted, they know he was there. He knows that they know. He looks up and walks into his room and sees his grandmother grooming Kyungsoo's hair like nothing happened.

Hello Jongin.” His grandmother smiles as she sets Kyungsoo down on the desk in a sitting position. “I'll be in my room, I'm quite tired.” She says as Jongin nods his head and sits in the chair near Kyungsoo. Jongin sits and stares at Kyungsoo.

You know,” Jongin starts. “I heard you and my grandmother talking.” He says as he sees Kyungsoo's lips twitch into a heart shaped smile.


First chapter

thank you to the awesome people that subscribed before I updated

<3 you guys

hope you enjoy this story in the future

I couldn't wait since I wrote this chapter last week and I've been waiting for the time to post it