Start and Final

How You Get The Girl

Chanyeol's guide to how to get the girl


Step 1: Notice her.

Chanyeol saw her once when they were both waiting for their drinks in the Starbucks in their school. He thought she had pretty hair because her bangs were choppy and it touched her eyes. It made her look cute. Then, he saw her the second time when he was in a prep talk lecture. He actually wanted to bail but his friends pulled him along, making sure that he went down with them. She was wearing something black that day and it amused Chanyeol how captivating she looked even though she seemed like she was attending a funeral instead of a lecture. He didn't blame her though, it was a Monday and that lecture was boring as hell.

Ever since then, Chanyeol had been noticing her everywhere. It was as if she was following him, but he knew it wasn't true. It was just a mere coincidence that he saw her when he turned the corner, or when he was in Starbucks, or when he was in the library. The university was huge, but he only saw her. It was like he was destined to bump into her everywhere he walked. It was kind of creepy but Chanyeol wasn't complaining. He appreciated pretty things and he was sure that she was one of the few he considered pretty.

 

Step 2: Make her notice you.

Chanyeol was determined that he would talk to her, make her pretty eyes look at him. So that one time when he met her in Starbucks again, he actually cut the queue just so he could stand behind her. There were complains and the girl even turned to take a peek at what the commotion was all about. But Chanyeol gave her a (rather) creepy smile, which made her give him a small smile. When she turned around again, Chanyeol slapped his forehead softly, berating himself for looking so stupid.

The both of them were waiting for their drinks and just when Chanyeol had the guts to go forward and talk to her, her name was called and she collected her drink. She left without Chanyeol catching her attention. But one good came out of it. He finally knew her name.

The moment they officially met was a total coincidence, really. Chanyeol had attempted many various ways to grab her attention. But they were all unsuccessful. Surprisingly, the only time they met officially, Chanyeol and her were asking a certain lecturer about a paid overseas trip the University was funding. Chanyeol had always wanted to go to Singapore for a holiday and this trip was going to be the perfect opportunity. His results were good enough, all he had to do was cross his fingers and wish luck was on his side. The both of them were waiting awkwardly outside the teacher's office. They kept having awkward eye contact and she would end up shooting him nervous smiles.

He took this chance to talk to her, swallowing his pride and anxiety. It's now or never, right? "You're planning to go to Singapore?"

She looked surprised that Chanyeol was talking to her, her eyes slightly wider than usual. He wanted to laugh because she was so cute. But he suppressed it, he didn't want to come off as a weirdo. The girl nodded and didn't say anything else, obviously not sure what to say to a stranger.

"It's hot there, though," Chanyeol continued making small talk.

She nodded, glancing at someone who was passing by, "I know. I have friends there, actually."

"Really?" Chanyeol perked up, his eyes sparkling. She chuckled, nodding again. "That's so cool! So you're gonna meet them?"

"Yep," she grinned, her eyes showing the eagerness she had in visiting her friends. As if remembering that everything wasn't about her, she politely asked, "What about you?"

Chanyeol shrugged, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "I haven't been to Singapore and I've always wanted to visit that country."

formed an 'O' and she was about to reply him when the previous student left the office. The teacher called for the both of them to enter. Glancing at each other, they stuck out their hands at the same moment. Chanyeol grinned, shaking his head while she was chuckling.

"Chanyeol," he nodded his head once, teasing while he did his usual no-teeth grin. His dimples were so prominent, distracting her for a second.

And possibly the rest of her life.

 

Step 3: Get comfortable.

She was laughing at his joke and he couldn't be any more blissful. Ever since they met each other, he realised that she had the cutest laughter even though it might sound weird to others. Especially the way her big eyes would transform into little crescents, it made Chanyeol's heart flutter. He knew he was whipped. He liked her.

"It's only a few days until we fly, are you all ready?"

Chanyeol bobbed his shoulders, "I guess so. I'm all packed."

She hummed, acknowledging him. It was quiet for a moment, Chanyeol giving her some space because she had her thinking face on. She always blanked out when she was thinking, her eyebrows slightly furrowed and her lips twisted to the side. It was cute and Chanyeol liked watching her whenever she daydreamed. It's only been one and a half months but he already knew a lot about her. He was observant like that.

"You know," she started, picking at her napkin with one hand and tucking her hair behind her ear with the other. "We can hang out in Singapore, you know. I mean, I can bring you around. Since I'm pretty familiar with the country..."

"Seriously?!" Chanyeol exclaimed, sitting up straight in his seat. This was way better than he expected. He thought he would get a date with her in Singapore, at most. The girl beamed, nodding determinedly. 

"We're staying in the same accomodation, anyway, right?" She enquired and Chanyeol nodded like a small boy. "Guess you'll be stuck with me for 10 days."

Chanyeol smirked, "Not that I mind." 

She was blushing furiously. In a weak attempt of hiding her red face, she covered her countenance with her hands. It made Chanyeol laugh. She could hear the male taking pictures of her. "Stop it, Park Chanyeol!" 

"I'm posting this on Instagram."

"No you're not!!!" She flew towards him at once, knocking his phone out of his hands. Chanyeol squinted behind her and being the curious cat that she was, she turned back. She knew that she had been doped the moment she realised that there was nothing behind her. When she looked back at Chanyeol, he was grinning evilly at his phone. "Yah!!!!!!!!!!"

 

Step 4: Drop hints.

It was their second day in Singapore. It was hot and humid. Chanyeol was lucky he had her to warn him about how unbearable the heat was on this sunny island. Other than the weather, Chanyeol loved it here. It was just like how he imagined Singapore would be. He had seen photos of the beautiful place and now he was here. Singapore was clean, bright and colourful. It was always bustling with people, too. 

The both of them were walking to the train station from their hotel. She planned to bring him to shop in the city before bringing him for dinner with her friends in the same area. He didn't want to intrude but she wasn't having any of it. Chanyeol was her friend too, it wouldn't hurt for her friends in Singapore to meet a new friend of hers. While they were shopping, Chanyeol felt like he was falling even deeper for her. He always had something for girls with good fashion sense and she definitely had that. 

"You'd look pretty in that," Chanyeol nodded at the plaid babydoll dress she was holding up. 

"This?" She glanced at the male before appreciating the dress. "I like it. But... I don't know if I'll look nice in it."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and she stretched her arm to hit him. He laughed, grabbing onto her wrist. He reassured, "You'll look nice in that. You'd look nice in everything, really." 

"Not true," she mumbled, pulling her hand away from Chanyeol's grasp. He bit his lip from smiling because the tips of her ears were red. He liked it when she blushed. He liked it even more when he's the reason why. 

They shopped for a little more and they finally went for dinner. Two of her friends met up with them, both being Singaporeans. Chanyeol noticed that her English was good. Or at least, better than his. He tried speaking in English (more like he struggled). He was conscious of his poor English, and he felt stupid whenever she had to help him translate. 

"You're doing well, Chanyeol," she whispered to the male next to her, patting his thigh. He made a face at her and she laughed. "Your English is good, don't doubt yourself." 

"Why is yours so good though?" The boy was curious. 

She shrugged, "I studied here for a few years before I went to Korea for university." 

"This is very unfair," Chanyeol crinkled his nose. "You're cute and you're good in English. I hate you." 

"Chanyeol," she laughed heartily. "You're so full of bull." 

"It's not bull!" He defended, raising his hands. "I meant everything except the last part."

Her two friends were observing them interacting the entire time. Their friend swore that Chanyeol wasn't her boyfriend and they were doubtful. Even more so when they saw how the couple bantered. Chanyeol was left with one of her friend as the other two went to the restroom. He felt obliged to say something but he didn't know what to start with. Especially since his English was terrible. 

"You're really not her boyfriend?" Wow, wasn't this friend a bit straightforward? 

Chanyeol shook his head. "I'm not her boyfriend." 

"But?"

"But what?" He looked at her weirdly. 

She rolled her eyes, chuckling, "There's always a 'but', Chanyeol. I can see it in your eyes~" Chanyeol opened his mouth to say something, anything. But the words didn't come. The friend continued anyway, "You'd better make your move soon, Chanyeol. She really doesn't like it when guys take too long."

 

Step 5: Be brave.

It was the last night in Singapore. The next day, they were going to go back to Korea. None of them wanted this short vacation to end but it was inevitable. Nothing good in the world would last long. And so Chanyeol made up his mind. He was going to do it tonight. He had been thinking about what her friend had said and truthfully, he didn't think he could wait anymore either. Chanyeol had to let his feelings be known to her. He did his research and everything, choosing a nice place for dinner. He just hoped that he wouldn't get tongue-tied. 

She looked amazing in the babydoll dress he got her. He had went back to the store to buy it for her. She didn't want him to do so but Chanyeol forced the gift into her hands. He didn't deny that she looked adorable when she was flustered though. The paperbag kept shuttling between the two of them like a ticking bomb ready to explode. Chanyeol requested for her to wear the dress to dinner that night and he could tell she was already suspicious. That was one of the reasons why he liked her. She was smart and quick with her wits. 

"How did you even find this place?" She murmured, staring at the beautiful scenery of Singapore's CBD in front of them. 

They were dining at a rooftop restaurant. Chanyeol had to show the cab driver the location of the place because none of them knew where it was. He was pleased to see how awed she was with this place. Her eyes couldn't be torn away from the landscape and he knew that she liked the place. 

"I knew you'd like it," Chanyeol smiled affectionately. She turned her head, setting her eyes on him. He was nervous and she could sense it. 

"Okay, spit it out," she sniggered, placing her hands on the table and getting comfortable. Chanyeol grinned. Another thing he liked about her: she was so damn straightforward.

Chanyeol nodded, clearing his throat, "Okay, so... I have a proposition." The girl opposite him raised an eyebrow in amusement, chuckling at Chanyeol's attempt at making the atmosphere light. It was working. And this was something she liked about him―his humour. "Since you know, you're so good in English, I thought you could be my tutor for English?"

She frowned. "That's it?" Chanyeol beamed, nodding excitedly. She felt her heart drop. She had to admit that she was waiting for something more than that. But then, maybe Chanyeol was just nice to her. He's nice to everyone, he can't possibly like her. Her smile didn't reach her eyes when she said, "Okay." 

"Oh!" Chanyeol jerked in his seat as if he had forgotten something. She stared at him, waiting for him to say whatever he had just thought of. He had a soft smile gracing his lips as he asked, "And also if you could be my girlfriend?" 

 

 

"Where have you been?" She wrinkles her nose at Chanyeol when he wraps his arm around her. "I waited for―"

Chanyeol cuts her off with a kiss to the lips. It is an innocent one, just his lips enveloping hers. But it still makes the both of them swoon and their hearts flip. It had been almost half a year since she agreed to be his girlfriend and he was never prouder. He loves it when he introduces her to his friends. He loves it when he gets to claim her as his. He loves it when he brushes her bangs out of her face, just so he could stare at those pretty eyes. 

"You always kiss me every time I nag," she whines. 

Chanyeol laughs, pecking her lips again. He explains, "I just like the flavour of your lipbalm."

His girlfriend rolls her eyes, "Of course, Chanyeol. You like the flavour of the lipbalm that I don't wear."

Chanyeol makes a surprised face even though he knows she doesn't like wearing lipbalm. According to her, it is unnecessary. And he agrees, her lips are always soft and supple. It makes him jealous that his lips aren't as fluffy as hers. But at least, he gets to kiss them everyday. He questions, "You don't? Hmm, let me try again." 

"Chanye― Mmph!" She giggles even as Chanyeol presses his lips to hers. When he pulls away, she hits his chest, "Yah, this is , you know!" 

"I'll show you what is ," Chanyeol grins naughtily as he whispers seductively into her ear. She screams and he laughs, straightening his back. "I was kidding, kitten. Geez!" His girlfriend shoots him a halfhearted glare and he adds, "It's also not like we haven't done―"

She nudges his ribs painfully, glancing around the streets as if looking out for someone who might have heard what her boyfriend had said. There is hardly a soul though, since they are in a secluded neighbourhood. She scolds, "You're unbelievable, Park Chanyeol!" 

"But I'm your boyfriend," Chanyeol reminds her. He rubs his nose into her hair, tickling her ear.

She groans, "Unfortunately."

The male blows a raspberry, "You love me, though." Chanyeol catches his girlfriend making a face. He tightens his arm around her shoulders and dips his head to her face as he continuously drops kisses on her cheeks and her lips. 

"Stop it," she laughs. "Stop!" Chanyeol continues slobbering all over her face. She is saying stop but her expression doesn't correspond. She likes it. 

"Tell me you love me."

"You're so needy," she complains as she feebly pushes him away by the chest. She's still giggling like a little girl, which makes Chanyeol giddy with bliss. 

"I'm not gonna stop until―"

"I love you, I love you," She screams with laughter. Chanyeol beams victoriously and gives her one first peck on her cheek. She sighs contentedly, "I love you."

There are things Chanyeol regrets doing. There are people Chanyeol regrets meeting. But if there is anything he regrets not doing, it is not wooing her earlier. If Chanyeol was late to a class then and missed her face when he turned the corner, or even skipping that stupid prep talk lecture and not noticing her, he probably would have never wanted to talk to her. He would never have noticed how he saw her face everywhere he went, he would never have talked to her while they were waiting outside that lecturer's office. 

But some things happen for a reason and Chanyeol believes in that. Even if he regrets the things he did, the people he met, he knows that they have a purpose in his life. The steps on how to get your girl aren't important. Chanyeol strongly holds on to the idea of just letting life take its course. Because if he had tried to force himself to talk to her when she left Starbucks before he even got to approach her, she would have steered clear from him for being a creep. Their relationship would have been strained, unstable.

Live in the moment. That is how you get the girl.