Moving On Is Hard

Why Not?

The classroom was empty when Baekhyun entered, something that made a sigh of relief escape his lips. After yesterday's madness he didn't want to face either Tao and Sehun or Jongin and Kyungsoo. He cursed the second they were sorted into the same classroom because there were still two months until summer break and he couldn't possibly imagine how the hell he'd survive. Well, he had to deal with them sooner or later, it was unavoidable but he wanted to delay it as long as he could.

"I should have skipped school", he murmured and threw his bag on his desk, by the window. He stared at the seat in front of him, Kyungsoo's seat and his heart broke a little bit when he realised he wouldn't be able to mess with his hair during class anymore or touch his back with his fingertips. No, he strictly thought to himself, I can't think about such things right now. I have to get over him.

But how can you get over someone you see everyday? This was going to be hard, harder than he had previously imagined. He was already trying to think of some sort of lie that would allow him to skip school when a familiar, irritating voice landed him back on reality.

"Come on, Sehun, you can't possibly expect me to believe-...". Tao stood still as soon as his eyes met Baekhyun's and he didn't bother to hide his disappointment. "Oh", he said viciously, "look who's here. Baekhyun, the heartbroken bully. I was hoping you'd skip school, I really didn't want to see your face today". Sehun didn't greet Baekhyun and he didn't defend him either, he just silently stood behind Tao.

Oh, Baekhyun whispered. He had just lost his one and only ally. "Well, Tao, I didn't want to see your ugly face either but some things just can't be avoided".

Tao didn't reply, he just turned around and left after pushing Sehun away when the blonde tried to follow him. "Why don't you stay with your dear friend Baekhyun, baby?", he hissed at his boyfriend and disappeared.

"I hate to break it to you", Baekhyun said after a few moments of silence, "but your boyfriend has some serious issues". Sehun's hurt expression shut him up and he couldn't make another snarky comment. He had no idea what happened between the two and even if he did, he wouldn't be able to help. He was good with jokes and having fun but emotions? Nah, not his thing.

Sehun stood still for a while until he finally turned torwards Baekhyun with his usual pokerface. "You owe me for the bubble tea", he said calmly. "You left without paying yesterday so I took care of it".

"Yeah, sure". Baekhyun reached his pocket in order to find some change but Sehun stopped him. "Pay me back properly by buying me bubble tea after school. I am endangering my relationship for you after all".

"I never asked you to do such a thing".

"After school", Sehun repeated and left to search for Tao.

Baekhyun collapsed on his chair and stared at the ceiling for god knows how long. His day had started out pretty badly and it hadn't even been an hour since he arrived at school. If confronting Tao and Sehun was this horrible then how much worse could his confrontation with Kyungsoo and Jongin be? He ruffled his hair trying to put his thoughts in order when he eventually gave up and rested his head on his desk. "I'm just gonna close my eyes", he whispered, "and when I open them, everything will be okay".

Of course that didn't work and when he opened his eyes it was already the end of forth period. The first thing he saw was Jongin's smiling face.

"Wake up, man!", he said and pushed him harder. "I have to talk to you".

Baekhyun was still dizzy but he managed to look around the classroom. He successfully spotted a giggling Tao that was showing everyone photos of Baekhyun drooling in his sleep and a lively Kyungsoo trying to imitate his facial expression, making Tao laugh even harder.

"Where is Sehun?", Baekhyun asked while rubbing his eyes. If that crafty er decided to ditch him after forcing him to meet him after school, Baekhyun would get seriously pissed.

"No idea", Jonging said and dragged him out of the classroom forcefully, still smiling.

"Whoa, man, take it easy!", Baekhyun complained and just for a moment he forgot that he wanted to avoid Jongin with all his might and he felt like things hadn't changed at all, like the two of them were still best friends fooling around. And Baekhyun honestly hoped that they could just stay like this, he actually believed that hey, maybe they didn't have to change after all, until Jongin started talking.

"I seriously need to thank you, man". Jongin's smile was brightest than any other day.

"Thank me...? Why?"

"I talked with Kyungsoo yesterday. Well, we didn't exactly talk, we mostly made out but yeah, turns out, I'm his boyfriend". The dark skinned boy slightly blushed when he said the word "boyfriend" and Baekhyun tried really hard to stop himself from punching Jongin's stupid, radiant face.

"Yeah, so I've heard", he managed to say after a few seconds. "Why do you wanna thank me anyways? I didn't do anything". Apart from trying to sabotage you.

"You were the one who talked to me about Kyungsoo. If it wasn't for you, I don't think I'd ever notice someone as quiet as him. So yeah, you played quite a big part in this whole thing and thanks, man, because it's good to know you have friends that have your back and support you".

Baekhyun blinked a couple of times before forcing himself to smile. What was going on? He didn't even have the strength to reply so he just nodded to Jongin, maintaining his fake smile, something that his friend obviously didn't notice since he was too absorbed in his bubble of romance and happiness.

When the bell rang and reminded Baekhyun that people actually have to attend classes in school he found himself surprisingly calm. He wasn't sad or angry anymore, no. He just felt... empty. Hollow. Vacant.

He kept wondering how on earth would he ever be able to fill the giant hole in his stomach until school ended and Sehun tapped his shoulder out of nowhere.

"You didn't forget, right? Bubble tea". The eternal pokerface that usually made Baekhyun irritated was now a godsent gift. Finally, someone who wouldn't judge or misunderstand him. When did he get so close to Sehun, anyways? Not that it mattered, as long as he had one friend on this planet, he didn't really care.

"Yeah", he murmured, unable to express his gratitude properly, "where should we go?"

"The place from yesterday, of course". Baekhyun couldn't read Sehun's expression at all but he was sure he saw a grin appearing.

"That waiter, Chanyeol? He wouldn't shut up about you after you -oh, so rudely- left".

Baekhyun couldn't think of any good comebacks so he just kept walking. At the time he wasn't ready to admit it but as the boys were approaching the coffee shop, Baekhyun could feel his emptiness filling up with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

And when they opened the door and saw a ridiculously tall, smiling elf waving at them, he'd swear he felt his heart skip a beat.