Oblivion

Blank Space

 

 


  • Oblivion;əˈblivēən/;noun;the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening.

 

      As paralyzed as a corpse in a coffin, my body doesn't seem to respond to my brain. So I collapse on the floor beside a hospital bed relentlessly unable to decipher what had just happened.

        It's when the sound of a dagger clangs on the white tile floor that I realize that a metallic smell is reeking out of my hands. In fact, they’re all over my hands. Blood is all over my hands- Luhan's blood. Streams of vigorous words barge into my brain and imprint itself into it. 

"The HURT you will receive from it is the same amount of hurt you've been through," 

      Luhan's words start to grip my brain and little by little start to choke it. Screams fill my ears- but they're not mine. The slashes on my neck begin to tingle; soon I begin to feel the wedge of a knife against those slashes.

      Everything becomes tight and my lungs are screaming for more and more air. But in this world, everyone doesn't always get what they want- including my lungs. Instead, I watch my bloody hands turn all disassembled. And everything shuts down.

...

       The setting changes when I wake up, I'm not in a hospital anymore but in my own bed, in my own clothes, in my own house. A fear grips my heart as I jolt my eyes to take a glimpse of my hands. Not a sign of blood.

 

"Mom!" I holler

    My mom smiles sympathetically as she enters the bed room. But I know back then and now, that this kind of smile isn't the regular smiles you get every morning from your parents, teachers, and friends. Half of the time a smile is lie, a smile like this means something tragic has happened.

"Where's Luhan?" I blurt unable to sustain it longer. My mother doesn't answer at first and approaches my bed.

"Where's Luhan!" I repeat in a louder much refined voice. A brief breath exits my mother.

 

"He's dead.” Something inside me shrivels up like a plant abandoned in a drought.

"His funeral?" I say with my voice unable to maintain its own.

 

"I'm sorry; I haven't woken you up earlier. I just-just didn't want to disturb you.",

"So it's already done? He's already buried?",

 

"I'm afraid so-",

"Then just leave me alone!" I scream halfway.

        She quickly exits giving me as much time to bawl my eyes out and maybe plan a suicide. My attention draws to the picture-the only picture of Luhan and I framed right beside the lampshade placed on top of my dresser. 

        After a few minutes of clutching it hard in my arms, a fume of anger hits me. And I end up throwing it at my bedroom mirror standing just beside the dresser. The tiny shards of glass fly everywhere; I quickly regret my idiotic action.

 

         Picking up the broken frame containing the picture; the hardwood floor floods with my own blood. I couldn't care less, instead of that I get dressed and plan to see Luhan to confirm if he's really dead or not.

"Where are you going?",

"To see Luhan's grave," I grumble out the door.

...

          The enormous sunglasses Luhan owned covered my sore eyes really well, even worse this reminded me of him. He's not dead, maybe he's just at the hospital. Denying can only make you more upset, because the truth hurts but not as much as a lie.

          My beanie flies away from my head, it lands in the middle of the road. Reckless, I go after it not even thinking about the cars around me. In fact, it'd be my pleasure to die right now that way I can join my brother and don't have to be stuck fighting to live a life.

 

       The headlights of a car remind me of the nightmares of having Luhan killed at least 5 times, and then remind me of the possibility that he's already dead at this moment. Frozen in place, two arms snatch me out of the road, the car missing me by only a second.

 

"Are you okay?" the voice is deep, hoarse, and uneasy.

 

        My eyes find its way to a familiar face, the face of Kai. His hair the same way I first met him, ruffled and all over the place. I begin to taste my own salt tears as they start flowing down my cheeks. And his arms embrace me, exactly how Luhan had always done when I was younger. The embrace last longer than I thought, but I really needed it.

 

"How did you know I'm upset?" I ask Kai who's smiling sympathetically.

There it is another stupid sympathetic smile, by smiling like that do you think anything will ing change? Will emotion running through me change? No it will ing not.

 

"Have you seen the news?",

"I want to see Luhan before anything else.",

"Well, you've already seen me. But okay. Let's see him. I've never had the chance to meet him."

       There's a hint of curiosity and trickery in his voice, but I still follow along. We arrive in moments at the cemetery filled with pieces of rock with names carved on it. One in particular looked like it was freshly carved and the ground beneath it looked like it was just filled with soil.

"There, Luhan's grave." I point almost instantly.

 

       As we walk to my beloved brother's grave, Kai's expression remains the same. It’s making me wonder, if he's thinking if I'm really depressed that I'm going really insane.

      I can't help but cry more, what else am I going to do? Murder a doctor? File a case? Plan a ing suicide? It had only been a few minutes, but I just felt like leaving already. I don't want to be reminded of the pain anymore.

"Have you watched the news or not?" Kai sounds eager to tell me something.

"What is it and news? Did someone kill our president or something? Did North Korea invade our country again?" I sarcastically say,

 

But the response from Kai is way different from the one I expected. Instead, his forehead crinkles and he puckers his lips like he just ate a lemon or something sour.

"Okay. Just promise me you'll watch the news when you get home okay?" Kai says goodbye and leaves me alone with my dead brother.

A hand pats my shoulder, "Kai if you're here to scare me about my dead brother- you're the one who's going to be dead." I say assuming its Kai.

 

But as I turn around, Luhan stares at me with stars in his eyes as if he's just attended a Lakers Basketball game.

"You're a ghost." I state in much acceptance.

"A ghost? Where'd you get that silly idea from?" Luhan laughs.

 

And it never occurred to me that ghosts didn't know if they’re dead or not.

 

"You're dead Luhan, and I'm going to find who caused the accident we were in." I say, Luhan stares at me in confusion.

"I swear, I'm not dead. Look feel my heartbeat." His hand snatches mine placing it on his left chest.

 

 His heart is strong, pounding right out of his chest. Alive. But he's dead he's dead. I didn't realize how fast I am when it came to accepting Luhan's death.

 

"Can't you see Luhan? You're dead!" I exclaim unable to look at his eyes burning with confusion. His hands go up to his chest, kind of like an ' I surrender' gesture

"Fine. If you still want to remain in your horrid thoughts, then I'm dead." Luhan grumbles, his steps begin to go further and further away from me.

       And within a moment, he disintegrates into ashes. The cold wind kisses my cheeks, and moves through my hands. Farewell, Luhan. The heavens cry and I arrive home drenched with my own tears that came from the sky. But Luhan's ghostly words remain attached to my lifeless brain echoing, bouncing off my cranium. What does he mean by horrid thoughts?

 

I'm not possibly dreaming am I?  No I'm not.

 

         I witnessed Luhan's heart monitor go into a flat-line. The only problem is, I've never seen him buried or even out of the hospital. The heel of my palm drives into my forehead, with a few knocks into my head I figure that it'll wake me up or I'll remember something along with his death.

          But nothing comes, so I sit on the couch still dripping wet. For some reason, my mother went out. Only then, I notice the sliding door windows leading to the veranda was boarded shut and not a single speck of light was coming though.

         I begin to check the other windows, they were also boarded shut. With no other choice but to ignore, I switch on the TV remembering what Kai had told me to do in the cemetery.

 

An anchorwoman with a red coat sits and starts to report.

"Today, we have an alleged killer running on loose. Her whereabouts cannot be confirmed due to a lot of people wearing black. Noting that today is April 14th- Black Day. Some say that she is tall wearing a leather jack with ripped jeans."

 

Maybe Kai wanted me to know that there's a killer on the loose. At least someone new is out there to protect me.

"Exactly less than 24 hours ago, this 20 year old girl stormed into the hospital hysterically and stabbed a 45 year old man multiple times in the chest and in the neck. Screaming and crying, she dropped her dagger and runs."

The sound of the metal hitting the hospital floor shakes me, and a firecracker stored inside of my brain all this time starts to blow up. And it leaves me with post-apocalyptic pain right in the middle of my forehead. 

"Police has begun to suspect that this wasn't her only crime, 2 months ago in Jeju Island Two adults both in their late 40's have been hanged on the tree outside their house. Police suspect that this is her doing, confirming that the two adults were her adoptive parents."

 

My ears start ring making me cover them with both of my hands. My chest is gasping for air once again, shivers crawling deep into my skin. 

"If you have seen her, please contact police immediately because we don't know whether she's going to victimize more people. Her picture will be shown in a few seconds." 

       And a picture of girl flashes on the screen with exact locks of black hair, round eyes, a high-bridged nose, and a horribly plastered smile. Everything exactly like my own. A name pops up on the screen: Yoon Seol Hyun; except for a different name. A scream escapes me; my nails start to dig into my hair pulling it in all sorts of directions. Out of nowhere a whimsical giggle bubbles within me and I start to laugh.

 

No. No. I'm not a killer. I'M NOT A KILLER.

They're wrong. Luhan and I were the victims NOT THE SUSPECT.

 

      And my name isn't Seul Hyun and I'm not 20. I'm a 17 year old teenager attending high school. They've got the wrong person. After a few minutes of hysterically sitting there, the door opens suddenly. Mom looks frantic, and even afraid. 

"Pack up your bags. We're leaving; the police are going to be here is an hour. Hurry up!" She says shoving a backpack into my arms. It takes me a while to respond.

"I didn't kill anybody!" I sob,

"Just do what I say, or I'll hand you in to the police!" A threat rushes out, and the fumes of anger develop in me kind of like the after mass of the apocalyptic pain in my brain a few minutes ago.

 

Why would my mom threaten me like this? She’s supposed to be on my SIDE. She knows I'm innocent.

 

"Didn't you hear me? I didn't ing kill anybody! Why would the justice system put a minor in a prison!?" I release an ear-splitting scream. My mom's eyes shoot dirty looks at me.

"If you don't want to go. I'd be happy to leave you here because I don't have a daughter that kills people.", 

"This is bull! I didn't kill anybody!" 

I scream into my throat thrashing my arms and legs in exclamation.She's no longer my mother, she no longer believes in her daughter. The woman's arms grab my shoulders giving me a mind-rattling shake.

 

"Have you forgotten? You're not a minor. You're a 20 year old girl pretending to be a 17 year old.",

"YOU'RE ING LYING." I thunder.

 

My chest is almost dead. I don't think, instead I rush into a kitchen and clutch a handle of a chef's knife. And I point it towards the woman who used to be my mother. My sobs make my hand shake, 

"Say it again, that bull again. Say that I killed someone.",

"You killed what you thought was Luhan.",

 

"You’re still spitting out bull.”  

 

And I the knife toward my abdomen.


      AUTHOR'S CORNER;       

OMYGOD. IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE I UPDATED THIS STORY AND EVERY STORY I HAVE.

UGH I'M JUST SO BUSY WITH SCHOOL I hope you guys forgive me for not updating.

OMFG. EXO'S EXODUS ALBUM IS JUST Jkhhfkajsdhfiuhefnkjawenf Like I can't it's too good ;')

I hope I didn't scare you guys in this chapter. I've warned you guys right? in the foreword? Yeah LOL

Till the next time I update!

-oasisgrounds