Misconceptions

Blank Space

 


  • Mis·con·cep·tionˌmiskənˈsepSH(ə) noun;a view or opinion that is incorrect because it is based on faulty thinking or understanding.
    Luhan's eyes pear out of B.F Skinner's Walden Two novel landing directly at mine.

"What?" I say, Luhan quirks an eyebrow.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to wander off into your own thoughts? It's dangerous, you know that." Luhan says overprotectively.

 

He points to my palm-that is uncontrollably the slashes on my neck. I never notice the things that my body does without me telling it to do so, it's almost like my body knows my past better than I do. Abruptly, my palm jolts away from neck. Crossing my arms, I figure I need to convince my brother once again. A pang of eagerness hits me.

 

"Why do you have to block the truth? What are you so afraid of?" I retort,

Luhan gives me a sneer and goes back to reading his book. An uneasily breath escapes me; it's been like this for the past six years.

"You do know that hiding it from me will only hurt me more?",

"If I tell you, the hurt you will receive from it is the same amount of hurt you've been though in the past. So, this is a favour I'm doing for you. You're Welcome." Luhan replies as calm as a clam.

 

Although he's a psychology student at Seoul's National University ranked top 10.

Luhan is a liar, a terrible one.

 

The way he pushes his reading glasses up his nose while talking about this subject indicates a lie, the way he avoids eye contact indicates a lie. It's hard to believe someone who you trust, love, and even cherish won't stop at nothing to hide a part of your life away from you. Luhan waves his hands in front of my face.

"Drink your hot chocolate, I paid $1.50 for that and you won't even touch It." he demands.

"Oh, and it's the things we love the most that destroys us. And I don't want to be the one you love that'll hurt you." Luhan emphasizes his words like they came from a book, and those words did.

"Oh, I get it. May the odds be ever in your favour?" I gag mimicking Effie Trinket's high-pitched Capitol accent.

 

Both of us end up giggling, and if there's one thing that'll make us bond, it's the books we've read. As the chuckles fade away, I realize that the only think I remember is meeting Luhan at a house that is also mine. I remember both of us pointing fingers at each other whenever one of us had done something wrong.

 

"You're dazing off again, we should go home." Luhan snaps, he stands up and drags me unwillingly into his car.

 

Opening the car door, he uses his arm to beckon me in.

"I'll drive this time." I say patting his chest.

 

I look up to his warm smile, the genuine smile that has more meaning to me than anything else. Something wet kisses my cheeks, and soon after my forehead. Snowflakes fall softly drifting its way down to the ground in a matter of seconds.

"Tell me a lie." I nudge my shoulder at Luhan,

"I will die soon." Luhan snickers.

With a nerve, I smack his head. "Ha-Ha” I say in a tone of irritation.

 

Getting behind the wheel, a migraine pounds my head like a hammer pounding a nail. My eyes squeeze shut, and I find myself out of breath.

"Are you okay?" Luhan pops the question he says almost every single day.

 "Yeah, I'm fine." A moan emits my mouth, as I shake my head to knock out the dull ache.

 

      I press the gas pedal, and soon I am driving on the road. Approaching an intersection, the green light shines brightly. Luhan turns up the music, and we are jamming to our favourite song. Our car is in the middle of the intersection when a red car goes swerving in speeding at least 100 kilometres per hour, its headlights blinding Luhan and I. 

 

And the last thing I see is Luhan smiling...at me. 

It’s tearing me apart.

...

       A deafening scream comes out of my chest; beads of sweat prickle its way down to my neck giving me shivers that crawl up into my skin. My eyes big and wide are uncontrollably blinking rapidly. My entire body shots up and I find myself staring at darkness. It's another dream, the same dream I've dreamt for 5 days straight.

 

        All five dreams had a different beginning but the same end. The end consists of my only brother dying in front of my eyes. Barefooted, my feet press against the cold hardwood floor. Half-awake, running around the darkness, I manage to find the doorknob leading to Luhan's room.

 

         Yanking it, I immediately approach Luhan's bed. There he lies on his side with his hands cushioning his palm, sleeping like a dead log. As I kneel down to come face to face with my brother, I notice his eyebrows are furrowed and that he's trying his best not to smile.

He's awake.

"Wake up." I say rudely; I'm done joking around. Luhan pops one eye open, and then the other.

"What is it now?" He groans before throwing a pillow at my face.

"Not, funny." I say in exasperation, smacking his head.

"It's the same dream again, am I right?" Luhan assumes,

"You know, I can actually help you if you tell me what the dreams about." Luhan insists.

 

I am afraid, if I tell him that I dreamt of him dying, what if he'll think that I want him dead?

Luhan wouldn't think that, he's my brother; he has to understand.

 

"You died in five different ways." I mumble,

"What?" Luhan says in bewilderment.

"I know, I don't understand either.",

"I-I don't think I could back to sleep." I cower rubbing my palms against my arms. Luhan pats my head like a seven year old and does what he usually does ever since this dream had started 5 days ago.

"Go sleep on my bed, I'll sleep on the couch." He gets up willingly and jumps into the couch beside his bed without hesitation.

 

         And that's one of the many reason why I love my brother. Within of few seconds of tossing and turning on the couch, Luhan finally settles down and snores. I tell myself: He's going to protect me; He's going to be right there.

         All thoughts begin to ebb away, the sound of my own breathing fills my ears, and I'm no longer awake.

...

        The sunlight burns my eyes, as I squint, I notice Luhan is gone. I remind myself that Luhan lives in a dorm near his university and that his one week off is already over. Disappointment runs through me, as I try to regain my normal mental state. Heading into the kitchen, mother greets me with a hug. Her cheekbones are unusually hollow, and her eye circles have relatively got bigger.

"Are you okay, mom?",

"Yeah, I'm fine. Go eat breakfast. You're already fifteen minutes late." She gives me another warm hug, and enters the room I just came from.

 

     On my tippy toes, I manage to grab a bowl from the top shelf. And soon I was munching on a bowl of Frosted Flakes with bread and Nutella. As soon as I finished, I got dressed in my new school uniform. I slip on the exact converse shoe I threw at Luhan when I was sixteen. He ended up having a bump on his head because I threw it too hard.

       It's a new beginning from me, Lu-jerk made me transfer schools because he didn't want me to be surrounded by idiots who could possibly be a bad influence for me. The lump that I've been ignoring since this morning had grown enormously in size and it's sitting right at my throat. If I even speak a word, my voice will probably squeak or crack.

      Tucking the hem of my skirt down, I straighten my posture to make it look like I seem confident. My walk bounces, and every once in a while a skip is added. As a new student, I have to make a trip to the Principal's Office first thing in the morning.

 

"Principal's office is to your right, then left. It's the first door to the left." The clerk directs, just after I enter. Faintly nodding my head, I approach the Principal's door. A man with bushy eyebrows, pale face, and a shark jaw-line abruptly opens the door just before I turn the knob, I flinch in surprise. 

 

"Oh, I hope I didn't scare you. Please come in, I'll just do a background check and you can just head to class." The man's voice is broad, vibrating its way to my ears. I generate no response, continuing into his office.

 

            Two chairs are placed in the space beside the door, and his desk was on the left corner. Bookshelves were attached to the wall along with some pictures of him and possibly his family too. I willingly take a seat.

 

"So your birthday is June 6th 1996. Good grades, a Taekwondo black belt, and Student-Council Committee Member. What is your reason to leave your last school?",

"My brother told me too.",

"Who's your brother? And what's his name?",

"His name is Luhan, and he is a psychology student at Seoul National University",

"That's odd. It says in your records that you're an only child."


                     AUTHOR'S CORNER                        

The first chapter is always mehh.

I don't know exactly how long this story's going to be.

LOL, I'm just wingin' it. 'Till Next time I update!

-oasisgrounds