The Reason Why You Don't Fall

Schoolin' Life [Hiatus]

 

 

"Yes," the boy moaned out softly, hips buckling up. His body felt heated, blood rushing as he closed his eyes in concentration, small pants escaping through parted lips.

 

The person above him, bouncing down on him in the most sinful way, was bringing him close to his . He reached up, trying to grab a hold of the dark locks to bring their lips together for a heated kiss.

 

“Kai," The person moaned, as their lips teasingly grazed each other. "I'm going to-"

 

"KIM ING JONGIN! "

 

The boy gasped awake, eyes flying opened as his room door widened revealing a girl who was a couple of years older than the said sixteen year old boy. The girl was fuming, hands on her hips as she glared at the boy.

 

"I've been calling your for twenty minutes now! If you don't..." The girl trailed off as her eyes traveled down the boy laying in bed, face stoic as she glanced from the space in sight back to the boy sitting up. "You y little boy."

 

Kai frowned in confusion before he followed his sister's gaze, face boiling in embarrassment.  "Get the hell out my room!" He pulled a pillow behind him over his lap as he threw the other at the cackling female.

 

"This is so embarrassing," He groaned, burying his face in the rest of his pillows.

 

"I hope you know you have fifteen minutes before your  school starts!" He heard his sister's distant voice say.

 

Kai sat up quickly, eyes wide as he looked at the clock.

 

7:45 am.

 

"!" Kai jumped out of bed, running to his drawer to pull out his uniform. He quickly stripped off his shirt, sliding on the top half of his uniform with ease only to stop when he reached his bottom half.

 

And his still existing morning problem.

 

"Double !" He cursed as he dashed into his bathroom.

 

 


Chapter 1: The Reason Why You Don't Fall


 

 

It was 7:59 as a brown haired male hummed his way down the bustling corridors of rushing students. Coffee in one hand, his bag of papers, test, and books in the other, it was as usual routine for the male.

 

"Good morning Mr. Zhang!" A group of kids greeted the man as they passed by.

 

"Good morning. Make sure you get to class on time!" He smiled as he watch the kids hurry on.

 

He stopped in front of the opened door, watching as a few students ran in before him giving small smiles. As he entered the classroom, students were chatting amongst their friends-- some about homework, some about the latest gossip going around the school. Even when they thought their teacher didn't hear what goes around, Zhang Yixing  did.

 

The sounded of the ringing bell traveled through the room, making some kids move to their seats as others tried to finish up their chats.

 

“Alright, Alright, Tiffany I know that Mr.Choi is hot and all but let's settle down now. You can go watch him when you get to his class." Mr. Zhang playfully smirked as he watched the girl blush and cover . "Now, good morning class! It is Friday and I know that some of you can't wait to start your usual night of fun but before we can do that, let us take out our books and discuss last night's reading and questions."

 

"Yo, Mr.Z! Don't forget to take roll!" A deep voice belonging to a smiling brown haired giant said.

 

"Ah! Thank you for reminding me Chanyeol." The English teacher went to his bag and pulled out his roll sheet, adjusting the glasses on his face. "Alright, listen for attendance, and be in your seats please. Baekhyun?"
 


 

"Here." A dark brown hair male with eyes lined in dark eyeliner raised his hand. He was sitting next to a raven haired male with dark eyes, both of them wearing a pink and white male cheerleader attire.
 


 

"Is there a basketball game today?" The teacher asked, noting the uniform on some of his other female students.

 

 

"Yep!" Chanyeol’s loud voice boomed in excitement, only to be slapped in the arm by the girl besides him.

 

 

"Yeollie!"

 

 

The young teacher chuckled as he continued going through roll.
 


 

"Sehun?"

 

 

The students looked to the two empty seats, one behind the other, by the window.

 

 

"I'm assuming Kai is missing as-"

 

 

"XIUMIN NO!" The class turned and looked outside the window at the source of the commotion.

 

 

Outside towards the entrance of the school they saw a tanned boy being dragged by a shorter slightly chubby cheeked male. The male seemed to be putting up a fight before being yanked by the back of his backpack, giving up his efforts.

 

 

The teacher smiled as he slid the window open. "Good morning mister president!" He called, gaining the attention of the two males below.
 

 


"Good morning, Mr.Zhang, " The president, Xiumin, smiled curtly before hauling the boy in his grasp.
 


"Mr.Z! Save me, man!" Kai shouted.

 

 

"Just have your homework in before the end of class." The young teacher chuckled as he saw the gloom grow over the face of the boy knowing he had no way out of impending punishment for being late.

 

 

"Idiot," Baekhyun muttered, chin prompt in his palm as his elbow rested boredly on the desk. The raven haired boy next to him was texting away under the desk. "Texting Kris, Taotao?"

 

 

The boy, Tao, nodded. "He said he was covering a shift tonight and won't be home until the morning."

 

 

The eyeliner boy studied over his friend before his eyes wandered to the corner of the room when a certain giant was laughing with the giggling girl in a cheerleader outfit next to him before swiftly placing a kiss on her lips. With a sigh he turned his eyes to the front of the room where the teacher had just finished taking roll.

 

 

"Everyone pass up your questions from chapter one and two reading. Pull out your books too so that we can discuss what happened. Isn't it interesting so far?"

 

 

The teacher pulled out the book he was currently reading with his class as he waited for all the papers to be passed forward.  The Picture of Dorian Gray.

 

“How did you guys like the first two chapters so far?” The teacher asked, smiling at how his students were all voicing their opinions. Nothing pleases a teacher more than seeing their students getting actively involved with their work.

 

“Lord Henry was messed up man,” Jonghyun said shaking his head. “He broke bro code and took Dorian from Basil.”

 

“Bro code doesn’t imply for gay guys,” Soryong commented.

 

“They’re gay?” Tiffany asked, puzzled by the comment.

 

“Now class, class,” Mr.Zhang tried to get the student’s attention. “Let’s try to settle down.”

 

“Why the hell wouldn't it?” Baekhyun turned around and narrowed his eyes at the male. “Just because he’s gay doesn’t mean the same principles don’t apply. Basil told him not to try anything on Dorian and Harry still did it!”

 

“So... they are gay?” Tiffany turned Ailee who just shook her head at the girl.

 

The class went back and forth with debates until the teacher figured they should probably get back on track.

 

“Alright boys! let’s get the class back in order.” The teacher said. “Tiffany, I will adress your question now and say that they are not gay but a lot is suggested for the reader themselves to figure out. And the reason for that will be covered Monday when we talk about the Victorian age! Exciting right?”

 

“No.” Another student, Zico, deadpanned.

 

Mr. Zhang just laughed. He remembered when he was in class like them. “Now can someone please raise their hand and tell me about the characters and what we know about them so far. Tao?”

 

“One of the characters is Basil Hallward who is a wuss as painter who needs to man up and confess to Dorian.” Tao leaned back in his chair, legs crossed.

 

“Correct, Basil is a painter who seems to have some emotion, we wont say its romantic just yet, for Basil.” The teacher paraphrased Tao’s words into a cleaner meaning. “Key?”

 

“Lord Henry is a smart, handsome, young, rich man who’s Basil’s of a friend. I mean you saw how he turned Dorian against Basil at the end of the chapter.”

 

“Bro, I didn’t even read the chapter.”  Minho whispered to Zico who mouthed a “me too” back.

 

“O-kay.Can we not use the sentence enhancers when describing the characters.” Mr. Zhang sighed.

 

Sungyeol smirked, raising his hand. “Which words exactly counts as ‘sentence enhancers’ sir?”

 

“Excuse me, sir.” The class turned to the door where a blonde hair boy was leaning out of the doorway.

 

“Oh hello, Luhan,” The teacher smiled at the male. “What do you need?

 

"I'm here to deliver your new student." Luhan motioned his head to whoever was behind him. "Xiumin would have done it himself if he didn't have to deal with Kai and Sehun."

 

 

Mr. Zhang let out a small sigh. "Did they run again?"

 

 

"Of course," Luhan laughed. "But they at least have common sense to keep their work up. But anyway, here's your new student. Come in."

 

 

Luhan walked inside, a figure behind him slowly following his steps. Mr. Zhang studied the new student. He was an averaged height male, dark hair, plump heart-shaped lips,  pale skinned boy.  He could tell by the way the boy gripped a part of his bag that he was nervous, but the male seemed like a calm and quiet type so far. He watched as the male's eyes darted from the floor with a small gulp to face the class before him with a small smile.
 

 


"Hello," His voice was slightly deep but melodious.  "My name is Do Kyungsoo.  I hope I can get along with everyone."
 


Mr. Zhang clapped along with the rest of the class as Kyungsoo bowed to them.

"Well Kyungsoo I am glad to have you as one of my students." Mr.  Zhang smiled welcomingly. "I am your English teacher Mr. Zhang and please tell me if there is anything you would like to go by as a name."

 


"Kyungsoo is fine." The boy assured. Mr. Zhang noted the boy starting to loosen up.
 


"Good. You can sit in that empty chair for today,  I will have a assigned seat for you Monday. I hope my students will be nice and welcome you in." Mr. Zhang playfully glared at his class.
 


"Don't worry, I'll be his official guide." Luhan saluted. "Oh, and there is going to be a new health teacher starting Monday!"


 


"Alright, " Mr. Zhang shooed the boy away. "You're stalling my class, now leave."


 


"Fine. Kyungsoo, I'll give you a tour during lunch, just wait outside of your class. Have fun."
 


Kyungsoo waved at the blonde as he shifted in his new temporal seat. The class went back into discussion about a story that Kyungsoo hasn't heard of but the teacher told him he will give him his own copy at the end of the period.  With a sigh, the boy turned his attention out the window, admiring the clear view of the front of the campus he had.

 

He could get use to this scenery.

 



"Oh !" He heard a hushed curse as a paper ball hit his head. "My bad bro! Sungyeol, aim better!"

 



Kyungsoo sigh.

 

 

 

Well here’s to a new beginning.
 


 


¤°•°•°•°○°•°•°•°¤
 



Brown eyes stared up at the blue sky. The clear plain was being covered with migrating scattered white puffs, that aimlessly floated into and apart from one another. He watched as one second they are an ambiguous blob then my the next they morph, moving into a flower. He closed his eyes as the wind gently blew across his face, wrinkling his nose as a distinctive smell was being carried with it.

 



"You still smoking that?" Kai looked across at the platinum blonde. The blonde had his back faced to the other as he leaned across a rail.

 



The boy didn't offer an answer. Instead, he took another deep inhale of the depressant in between his lips before turning around to drop it on the ground.  Exhaling,  he stepped out the cigarette,  leaning his back to the rail as he peered the tan male laying against the wall from him.

 



"I still don't understand why you talk to me."  The blonde walked over to the other.

 



" I still don't understand why you still come to me. " Kai responded, moving over so that the blonde can sit.  "Just it up and accept us as friends, Sehun."

 



"I don't need friends." Sehun closed his eyes as the breeze came over.  "It's not like people want to be my friend anyways."

 



Kai turned to the other as he studied his profile.  "That's because you always got the same face that shouts ' off'."

 



"It does?"

 



"Yeah."

 



"Then it got my message across to everyone." Sehun stated. He didn't want to be friends with people that got scared to be near him because he didn't look up to their 'friendly' standards.

 



Kai sighed. "This is exactly why you can't talk to-"

 



"Shut up!" The blonde shouted, clasping a hand other Kai’s mouth so suddenly it cause the other to fall back. There was the most emotion the blonde showed so far in the day on his face as he glared at Kai with flustered, red cheeks. "Don't say the name out loud! What if someone hears you!"

 



"Oh please." Kai slapped the other's hand away from his mouth.  "I don't know why you're so afraid to talk to him. I think it would be an interesting conversation.  Didn't you say that he tried to talk to you at the rink last week?"

 



Sehun groaned as he remembered the event. "Don't remind me."

 



"Did you choke?" Kai gave him a smirk that made Sehun want to punch him in the face.

 



"I, no, I," He sighed. "I ran away. All he said was 'Hi Sehun' and I fled. How did he even know my name? I stay on the low. I don't even talk to anyone and everyone loves him. Why do I even try?"

 



"You always got tonight, man. No sweat. " Kai patted his shoulder. "Make you move anytime."

 



"Easy for you to say. I hope you choke up talking to someone. " Sehun grumbled, standing up as the bell rang for students to get to their next class.

 



"You wish." Kai chuckled as he winked at the stoic faced boy. "But I don't choke."

 



Kai hummed as he headed towards the exist.

 



"Then I hope you fall." Sehun muttered to himself before he followed the other.

 



Time to get this day over with.

 


¤°•°•°•°○°•°•°•°¤

 



"Are you sure I should go?" Kyungsoo stared at his closet and sighed. "I'm not really good at fitting in with crowds."

 



The honey blonde haired boy on his bed rolled his eyes with a light smile. "Kyungsoo,  you will love it. Mostly everyone does. It'll be fun!"

 



The two were in Kyungsoo’s bedroom as the day sky faded into the growing night. Luhan had walked to the other's house to invite him to come to the local skating rink with him. The two had became friends fast, mostly due to the other's bubbly and chatting nature and had continued their bonding at Kyungsoo’s house which wasn't far from the school. They had stopped at Luhan’s house on the way for the other to change but Luhan didn't want to stay there because he said it was "too boring".

 



"But  I don't even know how to roller skate." Kyungsoo admitted,  sighing out loud.

 



Luhan gasp. "Now you definitely have to go so we can teach you!"

 



Luhan hopped off the bed giving the boy a pair of black jeans and a white shirt with a black leather jacket.

 



"You can wear the jacket for now but you're going to be taking it off later." Luhan warned. "Now change."

 



Kyungsoo frowned. "But you're still in here."

 



"Yeah, so?" Luhan blinked, not seeing what the problem was.


 


"...Can I have a bit of personal space to change?" In his own house.

 


 


"Oh, sure!" Luhan chirped before going to the bed and sitting down facing the wall. "Tell me when you're done~."

 



Kyungsoo sighed, figuring that was as much personal space he was going to get with Luhan.

 

 

 

In general.

 



Ten minutes later and a small run-in talk with Kyungsoo's older brother,  the two made their way down streets unfamiliar with Kyungsoo.

 



"You'll learn the streets soon enough the more you travel around with me." Luhan nudged, trying to ease the nervousness from the latter.

 



Kyungsoo could see kids walking in small groups of friends, laughing and playing,  up a parking lot to a building.

 



"Is this the place?" Kyungsoo asked as they got close to the place. He stared at the largely lit sign that said "Skate On" on top of the building.

 



"Mhm." Luhan hummed, walking up the lot, moving out of the way of kids parking their cars.

 

They walked into the entrance, standing in line behind a group of kids. Kyungsoo's heartbeat anxiously as he could hear the muffled sound of music playing from what lied behind the doors ahead. Every now and then he heard the music clearly as someone pushed the doors open, but it quickly went back muffled as the doors closed.

 



"How many? Oh hey, Luhan!" The worker smiled from behind the class as the got to the entrance booth.

 



"Hey Salie." Luhan smiled back. Luhan truly was social with everyone Kyungsoo noted. "Tickets for two."

 



"I didn't bring any money." Kyungsoo whispered, tugging Luhan's shirt.

 

 


"No worries, I got you." Luhan winked as he pulled out his wallet to pay. "Tonight's on me. Oh, Sal! We both need some skates too."

 



He handed the lady the money, taking the two tickets from her I'm exchange.

 



"Is he new?" Salie asked, now fixing her eyes on Kyungsoo.

 



"As new as a newborn." Luhan laughed at his own words.



"Then I hope you enjoy and have fun." Sal smiled. "And be careful!"

 



"He will!" Luhan pushed the doors opened for them and Kyungsoo took in this new environment.

 



Loud hip-hop and pop music flowed through his ears, the base itself he could feel pulsing through his body. Among the music he could hear the lively chatter of the plenty kids that he recognized some from the classes he had.  On one side of a wall there was an arcade section where some kids he could see were playing games with each other. Besides that was the shoe rack where there were racks of skates in various of sizes. On the lengthwise side wall was the bathrooms,  a bit apart from lockers where he saw some people were putting their belongings and shoes inside. On the opposite wall, pass all other the small and long tables was a food and drinks stand. Want awed the boy was that everything he saw up until then was just thirty percent of the whole area because as he now faced forward, the rest of the seventy percent of the building was the space for the actual skating floor.  There were kids going around in the large oval flow of the skating, some speeding along while others joined in groups, doing tricks here and there together. In the middle there was a small lined section for those who looked to be practicing some moves. There was a half wall-rail that lined the floor and on the walls, the same wall as the lockers were, was small couches where people could sit and rest.

 

This place was a new experience for Kyungsoo.

 

“Don’t just stand there and gape, lets go get our skates!” Luhan pulled the boy along to the kate rack where they exchanged the tickets for a pair of skates. “Before we go on to the floor, I have to introduce you to someone. You will love him, need him, worship him- okay maybe not worship, well some people do but thats because he’s that important to them.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded at his rant, spotting from the corner of the room a tall blonde boy who seemed to be ranting off. “So where is this guy?”


 

“In the same spot he will always be when you need him. Back table booth in the corner.” Luhan walked towards said direction. “Looks like he’s finishing up with someone.”

 

“Finishing up?” Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows as he stared towards the area they were walking two. He could see a light brown, long haired girl, who he remembered name was Ailee in his class, talking to a male who he couldn’t identify from the back view.

 

“I just don’t know what to tell him.” Ailee sighed.

 

“Just tell Dongwoo that he shouldn’t worry too much about you asking Taeyang to the movies.” An oddly familiar voice said to the girl. “ If he gets upset then... I want you to piece it together from there. If not, see me next week or I can talk to you sooner at lunch.”

 

The girl smiled brightly as she got up. “Thanks, Lay! I’ll go tell him right now.”

 

The male waved, noticing people were behind him he turned around to give them both a full small. “Hey Luhan, Kyungsoo.”

 

“M-Mr. Zhang?!” Kyungsoo stared in surprise as the teacher he had seen before was now without glasses and in more casual clothes. He looked like the other kids around the area. “What are you doing here? Luhan said this was the highschooler’s nights.”

 

“Even teachers need a break, well I like to have one here. It not like I’m old. I’m only 25. And I’m Lay tonight, not Mr. Zhang.” Lay winked.

 

Kyungsoo blinked blankly, turning to look at Luhan. “I’m confused.”

 

“Mr. Zhang, as you know as your teacher, is our counselor here so to say. He started this all last year actually when he became a teacher. He noticed that some of us were having problems and he always offered advice so it sorta became a thing for us all.” Luhan explained. “So to officially meet, Kyungsoo this is Lay.”

 

“Nice to meet you Kyungsoo.” Lay offered a hand which the other shook.

 

“No offense but, don’t you need a degree to be counseling kids?” Kyungsoo asked wearily.

 

“You don’t need a degree when you’re schoolin’ life.” Lay grinned.

“And with that quote, let’s get the night started!” Luhan sat down to take off his shoes and put on his skates. “Hey Lay, can you watch our shoes? Oh, and I have to come back to talk to you later.”

 

“No problem, I’m always open.” Lay looked to Kyungsoo who was trying to figure out how to lace up the skates. “Do you know how to skate?”

 

“No,” Kyungsoo looked down, slightly embarrassed that he didn't know how to skate like the vast majority.

 

“it’s nothing to be ashamed of, you’ll get the hang of it. “ Lay reassured. “But I do want to offer a bit of advice.”

 

“Which is?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Don’t fall.”

 

Before Kyungsoo could ask about the advice, he was already being whisked away by the hyper blonde.




 

¤°•°•°•°○°•°•°•°¤



 

“Kris is on fire with the songs, tonight.” Kai shouted over the music as he held onto the male’s shoulders in front of them. He -- along with Taemin and Ravi -- were having their own skating lined as the zoomed across the floor and through the crowds, the loved sound of the speeding wheels gliding across the wooden floor filled his ears.

 

They broke apart, weaving through people. Kai turned around, skating backwards as he passed purposely through two people.

 

“Whoops.” Kai said, smirking as he made the two stumble but they quickly recovered. “My bad Baekkie and Tao!”

 

“You !” Baekhyun shouted, lined eyes narrowing in slits all making Kai laughed as he continued to skate backwards.

 

He felt free when he skated, almost as he did when he danced. To him skating was like dancing, but just own wheels. He felt the vibe rush through his body, every twist and trick coming to him naturally. He was just that great.

 

“Yo, Kai!” Chanyeol’s voiced boomed beside him. The giant was skating hand-in-hand with Sunny. “Who’s that guy that Luhan’s with?”

 

“What guy?” Kai asked back, turning to skate forward. The action of looking up will be something that he would regret on everyday following after today. He didn’t know what is was when he caught sight of the pale skin, doe-eyed male holding onto the rails to pull himself forward as he tried to skate that made his heart skip a beat. Maybe it was the immediate attraction of the male or maybe his attraction for the male being someone new to his knowledge. Whatever the excuse he would make up later would be futile because it was at that moment of looking up that Kai miscalculated his turn, moving one skate into the other that caused him to lunge forward and flail his arms about in a sudden urge to gain balance as he fell to the floor.

 

THere was a reason why you didn’t fall during roller skating and Kyungsoo finally realized it himself as he along with many others witnessed what happened next.

 

Kai falling down made the person next to him, who happened to be Chanyeol, lose balance from tripping over the body and he in turn feel too. Still attached to his hand was Sunny who had no other choice but to fall down with her boyfriend. Because the fall happened so suddenly, the people behind them either stumbled to try and avoid or fell over in a chain reaction a crash and fall.

 

Kyungsoo covered his mouth as he gasped out, eyes wide in surprise mirroring Luhan’s too at the same time. The Dj, Kris, stopped the track as he witness the great accident on the floor. Avoiding the accident successfully and hand- in-hand came Baekhyun and Tao who were laughing in full bloom at the tan male in front of it all.

 

“That’s what you get!” Baekhyun Laughed. “Oooh, I love how Karma’s a . Let’s go TaoTao.”

 

The two skated pass the tan male, laughing together, which caused a chain of laughs through out the building.

 

In the back, Sehun watch the scene with a smirked to himself while Lay shook his head and released a sigh. He had a feeling that this would be the beginning of a lot ahead of him to help solve .

 

“This is why you don’t fall.”

 

 


 

A/N: Thank you for waiting for this, this chapter is longer than I thought it would be but I wrote a lot, and ranted in some parts but this is all just a set up for most of the characters I suppose... But thank you again. Hello to my subscribies, I hope you all comment on this ( it did take me a bit of going back and rewriting and not being sure on if it was good or not... I'm rainting). 

Sorry if I had grammar mistakes. I hope you enjoyed! I might come back to re-edit some parts but... thanks for reading!

Much love

-xxRxx

P.S: Congrats to Exo, Ailee, Infinite, Taeyang and others who won at the Mama awrds