Sunshine

Sign Language

Sign Language | Pt. 3 Sunshine by owned_by_a_cat A/N: Apologies for taking a while to get Junsu into the mix. I wanted him to arrive looking like this... and who wouldn't? I'm not entirely happy with it, but I needed it off my WiP list and I hope it hits the spot. Thanks for waiting.


Junsu had wanted to be at Jaejoong's last solo concert, but a re-scheduled fan event in Santiago had thrown a spanner into their plans. Text messages and phone calls really didn't make up for actually being there, though, so a part of him had expected the cold shoulder treatment.

Jaejoong was the most accommodating guy ever, but he could be epically snippy when he was pissed.

So when his phone didn't ring, and no text messages arrived when most sane people were fast asleep, Junsu didn't worry too much. He just pulled up Twitter and Instagram to gauge Jae's mood.

Judging by the traffic on the fan sites, the concert tour had been very successful. Junsu expected to see at least an acknowledgement or an inane comment or two. The total silence on both channels threw him for about five minutes. Then he burst into whoops of joy.

Junsu had no idea how Jaejoong had managed it, but he could read the signs as well as Yoochun had and he understood the language just as clearly.

I'm on the next flight home, he texted to Jaejoong. Negotiating downtime.

Flu. Blackmail if you have to.

Jae's response came within moments and Junsu stared at his phone, worry now ragging the edges of his elation. He had missed Yunho and Changmin as much as Yoochun, though perhaps not quite as much as Jaejoong. Still, he was looking forward to seeing the two face to face, rather than just on YouTube, and he certainly hadn't expected them to be sick. Or Jaejoong to be up and texting at what—for him—was 4am.

How bad?

Grim.


That made it a 3 on the Jaejoong scale of seriousness. Surgery rated a four. Yunho getting poisoned had been… Junsu frowned, pushing the memories as far away as they would go.

He remembered grim. Grim was uncomfortable, boring and—sometimes, when the others were busy—lonely. But on the grand scale of things, grim was easier to deal with than any other number. Grim meant a grumpy Yunho and a whiny Changmin. Grim meant they'd been left alone to recover as best they could, meant that they were on lockdown and bored stupid, their usually busy schedules suspended. Grim meant they were climbing the walls, needed to be entertained, and had to be stopped from doing too much too soon.

Grim, Junsu could deal with.

A quick call to his PA and his manager cleared space in his schedule. More space than they were probably happy to provide, but Junsu simply declared a family emergency. He didn't even feel that he was lying.

A flurry of texts to Jaejoong discussed anything from provisions on the video games front to the presence of a piano in Yunho and Changmin's apartment. And while he waited to board his flight, he wrote several long, detailed emails. After that, Junsu went shopping.

Jaejoong wasn't the only one amongst them who knew his way around the internet. Junsu was similarly loath to be mobbed in shopping malls, and was stuck in airport lounges and photo shoots just as often. By the time his flight landed, his PA waited in an unremarkable car with tinted windows that was filled with shopping bags.

"I've got everything on your list. We only have to pick up the treats and get you to your stylist," his PA said, sliding into the front passenger seat while Junsu climbed into the back, pushed his sunglasses down and pulled his hoodie up. Just in case.

"They all know we're coming, right?"

"Yes. I'll drop you at the stylist and pick up the rest of your things while you get ready. Are you sure you don't want me to take you? You're badly jetlagged. And you'll be in full costume and makeup. You shouldn't be driving."

Junsu merely smiled. The woman could clearly guess where he was headed, but that didn't mean he needed—or even wanted—company on the way. He'd be nervous enough without anyone watching.

"It's not far. I'll be fine."


***


Heart hammering like crazy, but taking his cue from Jaejoong, Junsu stepped into Yunho and Changmin's living room three hours later. He was bone tired, but so hyped up that every single muscle in his body was quivering. If it hadn't been for Jaejoong wrapping his arms around him in a soothing hug as soon as he arrived, Junsu would have his heel and run. Or been sick. The moment Jaejoong opened the door, it could have gone either way.

Jaejoong's hugs were magic, though, and Junsu was too good a performer to ruin the surprise or let his nerves get to him. He paused on the threshold, quietly smoldering as if he was trying to seduce his audience with his bright hair and brighter smile, the tilt of his head, the line of his shoulders and the sway of his hips before he'd sung a single note.

And his audience of three sat, to his immense gratification, with their mouths open in shock.

Junsu was glad to see Yunho and Changmin were up and mostly awake. He liked it even more that both were smiling widely once the surprise wore off, though he wasn't quite sure why Yoochun was staring. The man had seen the routine while Junsu worked on it. He really shouldn't be surprised. But maybe…

"So what's all this about Yoochun being in love with a witch?" Junsu sing-songed, instead of launching into the tune his costume suggested.

"He is… what?" That was Jaejoong, choking right behind him.

"I thought you lived on Twitter and Instagram? You didn't see it? He's been buying lingerie for cats. That proves it, right?" Junsu found his phone and held it out for the others to see. Picture after picture slid across the screen: Yoochun outside a pet store, Yoochun inside a pet store, arms laden with cat toys. Yoochun holding delicate lavender undies, dripping with lace. Yoochun buying Swarovski crystal adorned cat collars. And a sales girl gaping enviously as Yoochun admired a stiffly-boned corset of shiny black satin trimmed with red lace.

"It has been suggested," Junsu read from some news article on his phone, eyes gleeful, "that Park Yoochun's latest love interest may be a witch. Stylish, playful and with exquisite taste, she's thought to be a cat by day and a seductress by night. Unfortunately, Park Yoochun was not available to confirm the rumours, or to enlighten us about where the two of them met."

"Maybe… I need to make another run to the mall and buy a luxury broomstick," Yoochun declared solemnly into the sudden, stunned silence.

"Yeah. Take Death with you and tomorrow we'll learn that JYJ engages in Occult practices." Changmin's raspy voice sounded appropriately menacing.

All five looked at each other in consternation and then—just like that—they were howling with laughter. Laughter that ended in coughing fits for Yunho and Changmin, had Jaejoong scolding like a fish wife, and Yoochun jumping up to fetch honey and cough mixture for the two invalids.

The sudden activity left Junsu standing in the middle of the room, staring at the two men he'd not see in far too long. He saw how skinny they both were, noted the deep shadows circling their eyes and guilt hit him like a freight train.

He hated the separation as much as Yoochun. He hated only seeing Yunho and Changmin on YouTube. Hated that he couldn't just turn up at their concerts without giving rise to rumours. Hated the sadness that had taken up residence in Jaejoong's gaze and wouldn't shift whatever they achieved. He often wished that they could have found a way to do this while staying together as five, but he also knew that he didn't regret his choice. He'd fought for the opportunity to expand his horizons, and he worked his socks off to make the most of the chances he now had.

And he had no idea how to put any of that into words.

"You're here, Su-ah," Jaejoong's voice hummed softly in his ear. "That says it all. And while I don't think those two deserve a treat—have you seen how skinny they are? Yunho can't even remember how to make soup and Min has lost all his sign language skills!—we were hoping you could keep them quiet for a little while."

"That's what I do best," Junsu deadpanned, "keep people quiet. Maybe we should try gagging them with pineapple and mango sorbet."

"Mango sorbet? You brought mango sorbet?" Changmin could have been a cat right then with his wide grin and wider eyes. If he'd had whiskers, they'd be twitching exitedly. "Hyung, you remembered!"

"Of course I remembered. I also brought coffee and movies and video games, so don't expect me to sing for you all night!"

"We don't," Yunho stage-whispered. His eyes were shining. "But I only have a sound recording of Elizabeth, so seeing you like this… dressed up… actually play it…"

Junsu hadn't sung the part in a while, but with the four of them watching, he fell back into it easily enough. The longing and the heartache poured from him in waves. Love and desire joined in, but it wasn't until he heard the pain of rejection in his tone, and realised that the next escalation would hold defiance and anger and spite, that it came to him what he was doing—consciously or not. He toned down the emotion and closed his eyes as he finished the song, unable to face the other four with his hurt suddenly so raw.

"Can I just point out that we're not that sick?" Changmin rasped when the last notes had died away.

Junsu shrugged, still not looking at anyone. "I gathered that. But you left before the curtain, and you didn't come backstage, so I never got the chance to show off the costume in all its glory."

"I did, didn't I?" Changmin's voice asked softly right beside him, and then Junsu found himself pulled into a hug so tight, it made all previous hurt disappear. "I've maybe been an idiot."

"We've all had our moments." Yoochun dabbed a stray tear from the corner of Junsu's eye before it had a chance to ruin the makeup. "We were waiting for signs from you guys, just because we felt on some level that it had to be your choice. And now I'm wondering if you weren't doing something similar."

Junsu turned towards Jaejoong and Yunho, only to find them conversing with looks as they were used to do. The smile on Jae's face was worth every bit of second-guessing he'd done since he'd realised what was happening.

"That didn't take long, did it?" he said softly, nodding at the two.

"No time at all," Changmin assured him. "Come have some sorbet. And tell me what video games you've brought. I'm bored to tears with watching Yunho's sappy movies!"

For just a moment, Junsu buried his face in Changmin's neck, his hands in Yoochun's hair, and simply breathed. Two pairs of arms wrapped around him, firm and secure, and without having to be told, Junsu knew he was home.


***


"Look!" The raspy whisper was Changmin's. But the sight that greeted them when they turned had nothing to do with their youngest. Like Changmin, they stared at Junsu, who was lying beside the video cabinet with his cheek resting on the Lord of the Rings boxset and his arms and legs sprawled every which way. The Hobbit DVD case was in his hand, and it was clear he'd finally fallen prey to his jetlag while choosing a movie for them to watch.

"He still doesn't sleep well on planes, does he?" Yunho made the deduction, and Jae smiled even as he shook his head. "His fan meeting was rescheduled and he told me he caught the very next flight back. I don't think he's slept since yesterday morning."

"Let's get him to bed."

It was as if they'd forgotten that Yunho and Changmin's apartment wasn't meant to house five. They rose as one, intent to scoop up Junsu, when reality intruded. For just a moment.

"Give me five," Yunho said and disappeared out the door and down the corridor toward the bedrooms.

"What are you doing?" Jaejoong hissed as Changmin got up too and started to move the coffee table.

"Making space?" The youngest only just didn't roll his eyes. "Yunho's gone for the futons and bedding. They need to go somewhere."

Between the three of them they made quick work of pushing the furniture against the walls, clearing a large square in the centre of the room. Just in time for Yunho to lay out two large mattresses and cover them in sheets and blankets. Pillows came next, a veritable mountain of pillows, and then Yunho turned down the lights and started the film while they all settled in a heap onto their makeshift bed.

It felt like old times.

And just like back then, not one of them saw the end of the movie.