can you hear the heart?

Fumitory (but actually I love you)

1999 December 24

 

Sehun's father still had not made the stubborn little fellow to apologise. It has been an exact one month since Sehun and Luhan had a 'fight'. Sehun's punishments came in many forms. Luhan bit his lips when he watched Sehun be grounded for fourteen days, not allowed to touch any electronic devices. Luhan found it amazing since Luhan can't live without watching Bambi on television. He once climbed over the metal barrier of their shared balcony and peeked from the locked transparent doors. Sehun was dazing around and soon picking up books. He read all those weird profound books Luhan never read before. Sehun dazzled in his eyes. Not only was sehun suave and clever, he read all those profound books and was good in sports. Luhan once asked Halmeoni to sneak into Sehun's room to get him a few books Sehun finished reading.

The first one he almost fainted halfway reading it, it was The Midwife's Apprentice. He had to search every single English word for the meaning. By the end of first chapter, he gave up and had felt the need to applaud Sehun. Of course, from what he heard from halmeoni, Sehun did not really understand the book and spent an entire week dedicated to just reading the book and kept asking halmeoni to search for the summary of the story. well, still Sehun dazzles in Luhan's eyes. he took three weeks just to read the first chapter.

Then after realising Sehun even seemed to indulge in the silence granted to him, his father permitted his freedom. Sehun was the same so his father docked his pocket money. but what use does a five years need pocket money for when he came home everyday for all his meals? After a mere four days, his father gave up and just let Sehun be.

24 December, Christmas 's Eve. 

They decided to indulge the children with what they wanted. Luhan's  mother told Sehun cheerfully but Sehun shook his head and even refused to go out. Upon meeting his father's stern gaze, he relented and went with them. The dinner was still the usual silence. Luhan got his chocolate pudding and messed with it so much that even with his napkin on, he still stained his white collared top. Sehun was the different, he ordered a simple single scoop ice-cream and ate neatly. Attempting to let Sehun like her, Mrs Oh purposely complimented every thing Sehun did better than Luhan. May becaue of that, Luhan's eyes sparkled more. To him, Sehun is a god. He did everything right, he is perfect.

The real upsetting challenge came when the kids entered the crowded toy store. Like any five years old, Luhan ran around and wanted every to. First, he wanted the Goofy then the Mickey mouse later the monopoly he saw the older people playing. Yet it was a rule for the child to choose only one toy. Sehun said he did not need anything. Yet Mrs Oh insisted him to walk around with Luhan and perhaps would find something he liked.

Her gentle personality finally got her some responses. He nodded and followed Luhan. 

"Mummy, I want Bambi and Nemo."

"Dear, choose one only."

Luhan pouted and stomped the ground, "I want all!"

Mr Oh patted Luhan's head and almost gave in but the mother insisted to buy only one for Luhan. Luhan contemplated and pouted a lot. He recently watched Nemo. Although he did not know what the movie was about, he liked Nemo nonetheless. But Bambi had been his long-time favourite. 

He was so stuck and tears already rolled down his chubby cheeks.

"Mummy and Daddy wanted Luhan to have a great Christmas." Mr Oh said and Mrs Oh agreed, "we like Luhan so we wanted to make you happy. Don't cry , darling. This is supposed to be a happy birthday Christmas present for you. Christmas is supposed to make your loved ones happy."

"Christmas is about making someone happy?"

"Yes."

"So do you give presents to people you like on Christmas?" Sehun appeared annoyed by Luhan's much talking. He really wanted to get home and check his mailbox to see if his mother sent him a Christmas card.

Luhan looked over at Sehun, "Sehun, what do you want for Christmas?"

Mr Oh stared at Sehun and Sehun did not dare to say his mother's name and turned to scan the toy store. FInally he spotted something he is willing to play with- the Lego set, he pointed to it.

"Luhan wants that! " Luhan added in fast and the two parents look flustered.

Sehun narrowed his eyes and felt all confused again. He hated Luhan but Luhan kept showering him with affections that he did not understand at all. His pride made him shut up. Luhan chuckled as Mr Oh nodded and he dragged the box off the shelf. 

Mr Oh felt relieved and Mrs Oh did not know what to feel.  She definitely felt proud though.

"Are you sure?" Mr Oh lowered himself to Luhan's eye level and Luhan nodded profusely, "I like Sehun! I want that for him!"

Sehun froze and looked away, feeling his cheeks burn. why is Luhan like that? He can't understand like seriously, he really can't.

"Then Sehun, what do you want?" Mrs Oh asked and Sehun faced Luhan, saying, "I will look around. You just buy for yourself. i don't need presents."

Halmeoni ran after Sehun as he walked off. Luhan gripped the lego set closely to his chest, "no! I am buying this for Sehun!"

After a big detour, Luhan and his parents had already went to the counter to pay for the Lego set.

"Halmeoni, they look like a family." Sehun spoke and Halmeoni was taken aback. They had spotted Luhan holding ther parents' hands and walked in between them, Mr Oh holding the Lego set.

"Daddy looks happy with them."

"But Master loves Sehun a lot too." Halmeoni added and Sehun said nothing. Sehun just went to the shelf and took down the Bambi doll. 

"Are you buying for Luhan?" Halmeoni smiled and Sehun did not answer directly.

"Halmeoni, can you leave the doll outside his door tonight? Luhan still believes in Santa Claus."

"Okay." halmeoni's eyes softened and Sehun looked at the doll in his hands, "I think after some time, he would still like Bambi the most."

Sehun had refused to let his parents and Luhan to know what he bought so Halmeoni takes the money from Mr Oh and bought it with Sehun .Halmeoni gladly helped him to keep a secret despite Luhan's constant pestering. 

That night, Luhan handed Sehun the Lego set and Sehun just took it and went back to his room without a word.

.

.

.

That night, Luhan had stayed up all night and saw Halmeoni stealthily taking out the Bambi doll from Sehun's bag. He smiled delightfully as the Bambi doll was silently placed outside his door in the midnight.

Sehun is the cutest Santa Claus!

He thinks and hugs the doll in his sleep.

 

.

.

.

 

"Luhan, are you fine?" this is once again brought up on Monday morning and Luhan flashes a half-smile.

The weekends pass by peacefully. Sehun notices how Luhan frowns at him at times and walks away, hurt. Sehun originally think Luhan's hurt expression will be the best and definitely a satisfying sight for him to behold. Right now, he does not know the explanation of the constricted feeling at his chest. He has desired Luhan to feel hurt like how he did but now seeing Luhan hurt is disturbing to a point, Sehun finds it hard not to look at Luhan during meals. Halmeoni asks him why Luhan is upset and he merely frowns, answering, "who knows?"

Sehun does not lie, he dreads going to school on Monday. Now sitting next to Luhan in the black Mercedes-benz, Sehun looks over and Luhan is hugging his school bag tightly. Sehun disapproves the studs on the bag and wonders why people put on studs on their bags and dumb enough like Luhan to hug them tightly. Aren't they scared of being hurt? 

Luhan is looking out of the windows and the chaffeur is dying out of the tense atmosphere.

Sehun does not want to talk but for some reasons, he is confused , so confused he wants that boy  sitting beside him to move his mouth and talk to the chaffeur about his breakfast like how he always would.

"Is the sky... interesting?" Sehun surprises himself by talking but well, he still sounds emotionless maybe a bit sarcastic too. Luhan whips his head around and meets Sehun's eyes. Luhan bites his lips and on't ansver, turning back to look out of the windows. Sehun hates this feeling. Luhan is acting so weird that he is all confused again. All these years, Sehun is confused so many times at Luhan's unexpected warm gestures and shy glances. 

"Lego." Sehun says again and the chaffeur in front perks up his ears. 

Luhan moves a bit but does not move around to see Sehun again.

"I built a castle with Lego this time." Sehun says, and Luhan blinks and bites his lips harder at his spot, avoiding Sehun's eyes.

Sehun sighs. He regrets. Talking to Luhan is always so difficult. when he is young, he always wants to talk to Luhan. But he hates himself for doing it and he thus ignores Luhan. He sometimes even disses Luhan, scowling at his halloween outfit and says he is too ugly to be given sweets when Luhan is eight. Sehun grows with Luhan and he starts to get veirder day by day. wehn they are young, Sehun notices himself to be remarkably jealous of Luhan. He likes Luhan's innocent smiles, cute gestures and sparkling personality. Due to jealousy, he hates all the things he loves about Luhan. when he grows older, he realises why he feels like that. He therefore thinks he is sick in his mind. Despite all his brain telling him he is supposed to hate Luhan to the guts, his heart is tugging towards Luhan. He likes to observe nonchalantly and even deliberately poses sometimes at the balcony when he spots Luhan at the corner of his eyes, taking pictures of him secretively.

He likes a lot of things about Luhan.

Firstly, the beautiful crinkled face. Luhan is a beauty. He has inherited his mother's perfect smile but because how his smile resembles his mother, Sehun hates it.

Luhan also has sparkling eyes and tend to get flustered when Sehun looks at Luhan, Sehun finds it endearing and enjoys how his intimidation drives Luhan crazy.

Then lastly, Luhan likes to bounce around to latest hit songs and Sehun thinks it is certainly amusing and purposely gets down from his room to the first storey's kitchen for a glass of water to see Luhan dance wildly in the living room. Then he enjoys how Luhan blushes and covers his face when he notices Sehun's presence.

He should really hate Luhan.

Yet no, he can't hate Luhan so he hates himself for it.

"Sehun, why are you telling me this?" Luhan;s voice drives Sehun out his self-wallowing misery and Sehun jerks up.

"Because the Lego is the Christmas gift from you." Sehun answers matter-of-factly. Luhan beams but he does not turn to see Sehun again, so Sehun does not know what Luhan is doing. Luhan pretends to sound disappointed, "But I can't see it. You won't let me see it."

"I tell Halmeoni to pass you the castle later on." Sehun says and Luhan bobs his head up and down.

'"Okay." Luhan can't contain the excitement, he just manages to talk to the ice tower Sehun. 

Sehun speaks again to Luhan's surprise, "there is one condition. Please act normal. You acting like a silent Bambi is disturbing and annoying."

Annoying me. I don't like it.

Luhan feels confused. Then he asks himself again since when did he ever understand Luhan?

But he says again, "Okay."

The silence dawns upon them again. Luhan only waits in peace for the usual 'Young Masters, we are here.' Luhan hugs the bag harder into his chest. The car halts to an end abruptly in front of the school gates, the driver scowls and he recognises the sleek car. Luhan and Sehun almost jump and hit the back of the front seats due to the sudden halt. Sehun looks up and narrows his eyes.

"Sorry, young masters." the driver apologises, "The car in front suddenly goes backwards."

Luhan waves it off and smiles kindly, "That is Kris's car. He did that on purpose!"

The driver is relieved but Sehun is displeased. The driver catches sight of Sehun frowning at him. He gulps and apologises again. 

"Arh, the infamous scary Oh Sehun, what a morning for me to meet you and hey there, my darling, Luhan!" the moment Sehun steps out of the car wih Luhan, Kris comes to greet them. he sends a flirtatious wink to Luhan. Luhan blinks back and although looks sincerely put off, still manages to look super adorable with an angry pout,"Stop flirting with me."

Luhan watches as Sehun throws his bagpack over his shoulders and grin maliciously back. Kri sstops his gleeful ministrations and Sehun chuckles darkly, "who would have the guts to almost ram his car with mine? I think only Kris will ever do so."

Kris smirks triumphantly. Sehun 's smile wipes off and sternly he 'jokes', "Other than guts,what does Kris have exactly? Of course, it is you."

Students already crowd around and watch intensely as the two scary men stand and talk. Luhan blinks, never comprehending the fight between the two. Kris's smile is gone and he has a dark gaze but turns to Luhan lovingly, "Luhan. I am still waiting for your reply to go to the school's dance party with me."

Sehun says nothing. Everyone alwyas know Sehun does not 'care' about Luhan, always nonchalant with anything involving Luhan. Sehun turns to move. Kris smiles at Luhan but Luhan shakes his head, "i am not going with you."

"Then who will be your partner?" Kris says and deliberately raises his voice, " Don't tell me is Sehun. Your heartless brother."

Luhan freezes and frowns, "I am not talking to you."

Kyungsoo manages to push him way into the crowd. Luhan catches him waving, a sign to save him and immediately runs to Kyungsoo, tugging Kyungsoo's sleeves, "Let's go , Kyungsoo."

Knowing Luhan, Kyungsoo walks faster so that they will catch up with Sehun. Sehun knows the two are right behind him but speak nothing. Coolly, Jongin runs over and slung his arm over Sehun. Jongin is one of the few that mingle around Sehun comfortably. 

"Hey Sehun!" Jongin chuckles, "Intense talk just now huh?"

Sehun grins and Luhan feels jealous, gripping on the hem of his shirt.

"And you aren't there to support me." Sehun scoffs but Jongin pinches his cheeks, "Aish. Me and Tao are too engrossed in watching ' Show me the money 3' on our phones. Mianhe."

"Can you at least say your apologies sincerely?" Sehun rolls his eyes, though not angry. Jongin laughs charmingly. "where is Tao?"

"he refuses to budge from his seat. Still watching."

"what a so called brother." Sehun huffs and Jongin shrugs. Both walk leisurely back into their classrooms. Being of different age as Sehun, Luhan can only shuffle behind him indignantly before parting wsys at the main corridor. 

"By the way, "Sehun sudenly turns behind and Kyungsoo almsot screams because he is very intimidated by Sehun. Jongin blinks and Luhan freezes again.

"Jongin, accompany Luhan hyung to the dance party." 

Jongin coughs deliberately and asks, "wae?"

"why? You are going too, right? From what I know , a partner is needed, right?"

"Yes... but-" Jongin flahses an evil grin, "I am going with the cute fluff ball beside him!"

Kyungsoo looks stunned and shakes his head violently. Sehun grimaces, "Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo hyung has other people to go with."

"No, I am going with him." Jongin nods firmly and pats Kyungsoo on the head. The elder glares back furiously. "how about Sehun, you go with Luhan personally?"

Kyungsoo 's eyes lit up and Luhan almost faints at the mention of it. Sehun says nothing and looks at Kyungsoo, "Are you really going with Jongin?"

"I said 'yes'." Jongin cuts in but Sehun ignores and Jongin sends Kyungsoo a 'please-hyung' look. Kyungsoo thinks hard and bites his lips. If Luhan announces that he will be going with him, Kris will still pursue and pester Luhan even in the party, he isn't intimidating enough to keep Kris from Luhan. Luhan has enough from the previous dance parties in which Kris is there too. The reason Sehun asks Jongin is also most probably because that bastard(he deems) is clever and alwys manages to shake people like Kris off his tail even in parties, no doubt can help Luhan. Sehun stares hard at him, eyes unwavering and Kyungsoo looks over at Jongin who flashes a wide grin before sighing.

You better thank me. For you, Luhan, I am going with this bastard.

"Yes. I am going with him."

Sehun looks geniunely surprised and confused.

"The what now? Are you going with your hyung?" Jongin flashes a wide toothy smile. Sehun frowns and looks away.

"Then? Do I look like I am going to let Kris get what he want?"

Luhan almsot smiles but bites it in.

Becasue oh my god, he thinks he can hear the angels bells and piano.

Oh Sehun might just be going with him to a dance party as partners! 

I am too sick to type nowadays *coughs*

Sorry for the low standards.

I like all your comments ahahah. 'spleen' is indeed a better word to describe( daimona makes a really great point ! (: ) but to be honest, there is still not enough prove to say Sehun is the one who gifted the flowers. It is still supposedly a mystery...but hints already given ahhah maybe Sehun can prove otherwise? Or is there other meanings from him if he really send those flowers ?

HAhah scene above adapted from the heirs. No Cha eun sang. Lu Tan gave me this inspiration.

Keep going , giving these comments. It make me think more and write better. Oh yes! love ya!!! *mushy bits*

SEE YA. And I am getting wolfau feels from Maroon 5 ' Animals' ahhah. I am dying to write a wolfau hunhan oneshot!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

.