When his star universe was cracked open

Star Grave

Sehun found Chanyeol sitting on top of the hill in the suburb of the city. After hours of exhauting climbing, Sehun got so angry that even when he hadn’t seen Chanyeol’s face yet, he hit Chanyeol with a big and hard plastic box, full power.

Sehun acknowledged the hit took all his power, but not until one minute later that the brunette one turned around, gave him a lethargic look.

Slow motion – Sehun thought. Yeah right, he should have taken a look at what Chanyeol was doing.

 

“Don’t you feel bored?” Sehun sat down next to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol muted, eyes focused on the dark night. Cold winter winds were howling continually, Sehun told himself not to let this precious body suffer any longer. He quickly gave Chanyeol the plastic box that he used to hit Chanyeol earlier.

“One more absence and you’re doomed. The shop owner got so angry and shouted at me, at everyone! But when it happened, where the hell the freaking sinner are you?? For what reasons did I have to stand there and take all the goddamn curses?”

Chanyeol didn’t flinch at his brother’s upset. Carefully fixing the telescope, he continued watching the sky.

Sehun annoyed, “Damn you! There aren’t even stars tonight!”

Instantly, there was change on Chanyeol’s cold face. He glanced at Sehun, grumblinged something unclear, stood up and took his stuff, put them in the car. This time, Sehun did a little revenge. He didn’t move a centimeter. But luckily, Chanyeol wasn’t that indifferent, before starting the car, he still waited for Sehun with an impatient attitude, hushing Sehun.

“Let’s go. Hurry up and move your .”

When they were riding on the road back home, Sehun just couldn’t understand why Chanyeol driving so fast. Of course, no words spitted out from Chanyeol’s mouth. Sehun knew Chanyeol’s characters for life so he didn’t care anymore, playing PS to kill time.

Chanyeol, seemed like still being annoyed with what Sehun said, his driving was quite erractic. Speed up then sudden brake, making Sehun’s game character died time after time.

These two people, always play trick on each other. Who could hardly imagine that they are siblings?

 

*

*        *

 

Park Chanyeol, turned 22 a week ago. His past was series of stories and glorious victories, at least they mean that to him. Chanyeol as a child had been playful and energetic, as soon as he opened his mouth, there would been laughters from morning till night. Chanyeol had for himself a carefree and enthusiastic period, maybe more carefree than asked. Park Chanyeol had been someone like that. Used to. Until one day, something had happened that changed him entirely. Chanyeol still remembered, he got home and grabbed his little brother’s hand, packing their stuff within 5 minutes then left, ignored the loud cry from his brother, “Hyung where are we going? Hyung… where are we going?” Actually Chanyeol hadn’t been strong enough to look into his brother’s red and wet eyes to spit out an answer.

 

So instead of doing anything, Chanyeol only had done one. “Shut up!” he had yelled.

Since that day, the two brothers never go back that place.

Since that day, the younger one grown up asking question “Why is big brother not the same anymore?”

And since that day, Chanyeol came to the sky, and the stars.

 

*

*        *

 

Handsome, only, quite a bit falling from the truth. Park Chanyeol was more than ‘handsome’. Remarkable height, good-shaped body, especially the face was made of flawless features. Wide forehead, mysterious charming eyebrows, beautiful black eyes, long eyelashed and straight nose. The red lips quiver slightly forming word. Chanyeol didn’t talk much. Maybe because of that, his beauty seemed somewhat… quiet.

Sehun thought differently. Hell no quiet. Sehun wouldn’t deny the fact that his older brother was very handsome. How could he be? Because Sehun was handsome too. But after spending time thinking over and over, Sehun had come to a conclusion. Before or now, to him, Park Chanyeol’s perfection… wasn’t a bit bizzare?

 

Chanyeol didn’t give a damn on what people thought about him or his akward interest. He didn’t need they to notice. The more people did, the smaller his own world was. Sometimes, Chanyeol would let Sehun stay inside that world. His little brother wasn’t as troublesome as he thought. An acceptable case.

But honestly, Chanyeol still prefered being left alone in his world. He liked to spend hours after hours, even weeks of days in it. The world called “star universe”. For once he claimed to Sehun about his innocence, it was not that he hated people, it was just more comfortable he felt when they weren’t around.

Chanyeol’s star universe, in fact, was a place that he’d never set food on. But it was his home, his downfall. Everytime the eyed reach the night sky, with or without a telescope, Chanyeol found himself lost in the middle. A feeling true to heart and completely not forcing. All galaxy that milions lighyears far away, planets with incredibly fast spinning speed that couldn’t be measure… and the most special of all, the stars. From twinkling small, semiregular to massive, brilliant supernova and nebula or even the namelessess… all of them caused obsession in him.

Chanyeol would stay awake hundreds nights, watching thousands stars, pretended to catch some like they were in his reach. But there was a star, the only one, that always appeared in his half conscious sleeps. It was the farthest, brighest star that Chanyeol ever seen. And it was very beautiful. It always shined alone in its own light, while the others formed an orb around. Chanyeol felt like, its beauty… was unapproachable. Definitely just something about that star kept making he curious and be dragged in. In no time Chanyeol mistook this star as a black hole, swallowed him in, played with him and wouldn’t let him go.

Chanyeol was obsessed with stars. Chanyeol was ing obsessed to the hell and back with a star.

El Doreous. Enternal light. As Chanyeol named it.

And once he named it, meant that he really considered that star was his.

 

*

*        *

 

“Again?” Sehun’s pinkish blonde appeared on the rooftop.

Seeing that Chanyeol heard but didn’t answer, Sehun joined him. The little kid pointed randomly and started asking question, which really got on Chanyeol’s nerves.

“What is that star called?”

“Andromeda. A galaxy, not star.”

“And that green and pink dot?”

“Cat’s Eye nebula.”

“And that thing?”

“That thing called Sagittarius constellation.”

After each question, the gap between two brothers getting larger and larger. Until Sehun realized his brother didn’t want to be questioned. Few seconds later, Sehun stopped the tasteless conversation and stood up, hands in pocket impassively, came back down his room. Right before that, Sehun didn’t forget to bonus a frankly smile saying that..

 

“Bro, you just can’t live only by watching stars.”

 

Chanyeol tried to anchor his anger deep down. This unruly piece of ty brother. How dare you humiliated my lifetime passion like that?

 

*

*        *

 

In the endless days pasing by, Baekhyun sat loungingly on a star cloud acrossed his galaxy, silently counting meteors flashing through with super speed. The flash lights hit his view and tumbledown in no particular orbit, separated the continue going their own ways. Sometimes, there was an explosion, informed that a new star was born. All those familiar images and colorful halos of nebulae were all undeniably beautiful. But Baekhyun, prefered to seek passion in the green planet which 27912 lightyears far from him. Luhan said.. umm… what was it name again? Oh… Earth.

Baekhyun felt in love with the Earth, the place where life and many amazing creatures existed. The plants and flowers scattered everywhere, silent oceans and large seas with rising waves, not even mention green fields. Since his birthday few years ago, Baekhyun had received a photo captured dawn on Earth from Yixing, he guaranteed it was be most wonderful gift that he received, while putting arms around Yixing that made him nearly suffocated.

 

*

*        *

 

A star, Baekhyun muttered when The Monarch created a ball of striking light. The light ball flew up and gently dropped inside Baekhyun. No second later, Baekhyun could feel his body become empty and floating, glowing. Kris said that little ball of light living inside Baekhyun called spectra, the light shell covering him called grace. Spectra and grace, the core of a star. If one of these two disappeared, a star would probably be dead. Baekhyun listened carefully and remembered everything Kris said. Those warnings such as: no approaching black holes, no walking on terrestrial planets, no getting too close the Sun of Milky Way.

And the most important of all, no going near the Earth. Kris stood next to Baekhyun, pointed at the opaque atmosphere moving slowly around the green planet.

It was not fair. Baekhyun resented, but there was more sadness. Everyone could, why only him couldn’t? What did the Monarch said to Kris before passing away exactly? What did the Monarch said, that made days after, the farthest location Baekhyun could go was the border of Alpheratz? Baekhyun really envied with Yixing and Luhan, that couple always travelled to the places they wanted to, visitting so many other celestial bodies in the space. Maybe, they were SC (super celeritas) stars, able to move with super speed and they had protect armor, while Baekhyun and others didn’t. But still, Baekhyun envied them. Joonmyun and Kyungsoo could understand how it felt.

 

*

*        *

 

Baekhyun always longed for the Earth. He wished he could visit the Earth someday, stay there for a few days, or months of possible, no big deal. Because Baekhyun understood how the time in his galaxy works and he was very sure that it completely different from that of the Earth.

“I’ve told you hundreds of times. You can’t no near it!” Kris appeared behind Baekhyun, unsatisfied voice.

“Just one look is forbidden too? For once…”

“No is no. You have to return now!”

It happened like the way it has been all the time. All the beggings, tears and even hatred, Kris stayed downright. Baekhyun should have known that. Kris was very good at denying people.

But Baekhyun didn’t hate Kris. It was just sometimes, or all the time, Baekhyun wished Kris could understand and treat him as if he was his little brother. The sad truth was, Baekhyun really was Kris’s little brother.

 

*

*        *

 

“Hey Baek! Your birthday is coming right?” Joonmyun asked. Baekhyun by on glance could tell you that Joonmyun had just come back from a mess. Two asteroids crashed near the galaxy’s border, or sort of.

Baekhyun smiled and waved at him, and Kyungsoo, who appeared instantly.

“What do you want for this year?” Joonmyun asked.

“Same wish.”

“Coming to the Earth?” said Kyungsoo.

 

Meteor shower, again. Baekhyun pushed his sight far far away.

 

“We know so. But…” Kyungsoo shook his head, dust falling from it. “Isn’t Kris said no?”

“Why? Why not me?”

This time, no one could give the answer. Baekhyun looked at Joonmyun and Kyungsoo looking down and biting their lips, a feeling of guilty started inside guts. They wanted Baekhyun’s dream to come true, but for so long, they tried and tried all in vain. Seemed like Kris’s decision was unchangable, and they couldn’t just ask Baekhyun to abandon that hopeless wish. Once the wish was hard to be granted, it was just getting more and more stronger.

“I don’t know, Baekhyun… I don’t know.” Joonmyun said with a sigh, when after the three being left in silence and Jongin’s sudden appearance broke the void, telling them to return.

 

*

*        *

 

Everyone showned up at Baekhyun’s birthday. He was so happy to see Jongdae – a close friend in mind but far in distance, standing in front of him smiling. Jongdae gave Baekhyun a crytal clear bottle, inside, new born stars were shining partially. “It so beautiful!” Jongdae’s smile got larger when Baekhyun admiring the gift. Also, Joonmyun and Kyungsoo gave him the precious moonstone, which was said that nowhere-to-be-found. Baekhyun still believed in that statement until now, he was holding it in his hand. Luhan and Yixing were late, Baekhyun was curious about what they were gonna present him, because their gifts were always come from the Earth.

“This is for you!” Yixing said happily while giving Baekhyun a carton box.

Baekhyun opened it carefully. Like he expected, a terra object. It was a bit bigger than his hand, it had a glossy round thing in the center, through it, Baekhyun could see his face. He startled.

“Terrans call this a camera.” Luhan explained, “They use it to save pictures that they like.”

“Pictures?”

“Uh huh. Somewhat like instant memories.” Yixing added, tought Baekhyun how to hold it and use it in a proper way. They took the ever first picture with smiles.

The strange object was so amazing, how could human beings invent such thing? Baekhyun couldn’t stop looking at the picture. An exact copy of his smile faced him.

 

But after that, there was a lost feeling growing inside Baekhyun. In the picture, Kris wasn’t there, which made Baekhyun quite sad. He wonders if Kris still mad at him, but that thought didn’t last long because Kris finally shown up.

“Sorry I’m late. Happy birthday!” Kris embraced Baekhyun tightly.

“I was busy. Write me debt okay?”

Baekhyun didn’t need whatever Kris gives him as birthday present. He asked himself if only on this special day, Kris would break the rule and give him what he wants.

“Hyung, I…” Baekhyun looked at Kris from a perfect angle.

Kris looked at Baekhyun, eyes locked on him. “You know that I will never let you…”

Silence lasted long. Baekhyun suddenly hiccupped, tears started streaming down his red face. Baekhyun took a deep breath before making a decision that forced Kris to use all of his strength to hold the withstanding arm.

“I don’t need your permission!”

Baekhyun shouted, and in front of many surprised eyes, panic of few people, Baekhyun rushed away in form of long strip of yellow light. A red light strip followed right after. The two strips chasing each other in close distance.

“Stop!” Kris shouted.

“I never ask you why. I never disobey your words.” Baekhyun turned around looking at Kris, his eyes were full of vulnerability caused from long suffering.

“So I’m asking right now. Why, Kris? Why? Why do you never let me go near the Earth?”

“You can’t.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

Kris didn’t say anything next.

“Since the day our Monarch passed away, no, should I say our father? You have become more harshly but less smiling on me. Don’t you think I don’t notice. What did father tell you? What were his last words?” Baekhyun hiccupped continuously, each hiccup made the answer might get more and more complicated to confess.

Protect you.” Kris’s lips pressed on every single word. “You have to be strong to protect your little brother.”

“Protect… me?”

“Because you are the most delicate star he’ve ever created. There will never be another like you.” Kris catched himself in sadness, which is out of Baekhyun’s prediction.

Although, the words came out too late. Baekhyun would still follow the path he had drawn, just like the idea of coming to the Earth has been rooted in Baekhyun’s mind like a firm anchor of a big ship.

“What you’re doing, is not protection.”

Kris just simply locked Baekhyun inside a big space, let him do whatever he wanted in that limit. But Kris had no idea that besides that limit, there were many other limits which even larger than the one Kris had mistaken. Kris was so sure that once being locked in, Baekhyun wouldn’t feel like wanting a bigger limit. Chasing after a dream that fargone from the limit that Kris always believed his little brother would never hold on to any dream as big as possible.

Because Baekhyun was the little prince of his galaxy, and the prince could never leave his kingdom.

 

*

*        *

 

A blinding halo striked into Kris’s eyes, dragged him out of thoughts and back to real world. It didn’t take much time to realize what’s going on. Baekhyun’s grace was glowing, Kris told himself. He planned to go near but it was impossible. It was such a pathetic effort. The light was too strong and its heat could melt anything that trying to approach. The restricted sight only allowed him to see a ball of light granulating in Baekhyun’s chest, and it just getting bigger and bigger, only stopped when completely formed a bounded aroung the spectra. The flow of bluish silver swallowed the yellowish white ball of light, which was still shining intensely.

The moment when Baekhyun’s voice echoing every corner of dark space, Kris created a meteor shower after that ball of light embraced Baekhyun then crashed into the Earth’s atmosphere no sooner than one blink of an eye. A loud bang shocked the galaxy. A crescent-like light radiated from the green planet, then left dark space in entrenched silence.

“Give me a meteor shower as gift. I won’t go for too long…”

Kris always liked the sound of Baekhyun’s voice.

 

Few minutes later, others arrived and stood next to Kris, no one said a thing. They all focused on the Earth, which now was back to the normal state, like nothing ever happened.

“He has gone.” The first one who broke the void was Jongin.