Why Do I?

Wonderwall

 



Chapter 14: Why do I?



"Class representatives, please make the reports for last years school trip to xxx. Hand it in to me after school or tomorrow. Thanks." Ms. Kwon walked out of the classroom as soon as she finished talking. She's the homeroom teacher for the class 3-1.

Se Hun yawned uninterestedly and rested his head on the table. "Seems like you'll have to stay at school, buddy!" Kai smacked his back and Se Hun bit his bottom lip with pain. "Yeah. This school can't be more stupid, why didn't we do the reports last year?" He complained. "Well, we were curious of why they didn't ask for the reports last year." Kai said.

"I was just about to hang out with you after school. What a bummer." Kai leaned back and played with his chair. "Guess I have to play with Eduardo." He continued. Se Hun lifted up his head, "Eduardo?" he asked. "A new guy in the family. You should meet him, he's very unique." Kai explained. "Maybe some other time." Se Hun looked outside the class' window.

Cl 2-3 was having P.E when it's maths for them. He could, admit that he's been looking at her from above since he started to notice about it. He didn't tell Kai 'cause that guy will definitely open the window just to say 'Hi' or wave at the girls. 

Se Hun observed silently from above, 'Looks like we're gonna continue our lesson on other days...'  he thought.

"Excuse me..." Se Hun felt someone was tugging his sleeve. He looked up to see Jung Nari, the representative for the girls in their class. "Oh, Nari. It's you." He shifted his body to face her properly. "Aaa... If you don't mind... I'll volunteer to take the papers from teacher..." said the girl who's been tugging on her skirt in front of Se Hun. She can't even look at him. 

"Eh? I don't mind... since you're the one who always take the papers. If you need any help, just come and get me." Se Hun gave her a gentle smile. "...Yes..." Nari nodded and returned to her seat. 

Kai's eyes followed her as she walked to her seat. "She barely talks in class, right? Not to those who're not close to her, that is." He looked at Se Hun. "Leave her alone, that's her comfort zone." He scolded Kai back instead. "What?" Kai scoffed.

"She has a cute face so I tend to wonder what happens when someone hits on her." 

"Why don't you try and see for yourself?" Se Hun smirked. "She's too innocent, man. I can't." Kai laughed. "Nari might feel special you know. Since she's one of the grils you only talk too." He declared. 

Se Hun looked outside the window again. "She's not annoying."

 


DiBRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRRrr!!

"I really at sports." Hyun Ae drank her water and threw the bottle away once it's finsihed. "The both of you were so great." She whined and leaned back on the wall. "We're not great, it's just that your small amount of interest in sports is just too..." Mi Young couldn't seem to finish her sentence.

"She's not even interested in it at all." Sang Mi cracked a laugh.

Hyun Ae clenched her teeth, "Tch. I hate this." she grunted. "I found a new shop that sells really nice treats. Let's go there after school together." Mi Young grabbed Hyun Ae and Sang Mi's arms to connect them with each side of her own arms. "Sorry, Mi Young. I can't, Se Hun said there's lesson after school." Hyun Ae pouted. "Really? Then..." Mi Young turned to Sang Mi with eyes full of hope. 

Sang Mi sighed, "Fine but I'm only available before 3 o'clock. I have to work, remember?" she pointed at Mi Young's face. "That'll do!" Mi Young smiled as wide as the sky and the three of them walked to the hallway.

"Praise the Lord for our class having P.E before recess! We could eat early today." Sang Mi retort.

"Well hello ladies." Kai leaned closer in between Sang Mi and Mi Young. Sang Mi pat her chest a few times to calm her heart. Kai just smiled at her reaction. "Hello, Kai." Hyun Ae waved. "Where's Se Hun?" Mi Young asked, her eyes searching for Se Hun's figure. "He got some work to do." Kai answered. Mi Young nodded, Hyun Ae just kept quite.

They continued they walk. 'Is he busy until school ends?'  Hyun Ae asked herself a question that she doesn't have an answer too. "What's he up to?" She asked Kai while tugging his sleeve. "Ms Kwon wants the report for last year's school trip. So he's quite busy reminiscing about last year." He chuckled. "Is that so..." Hyun Ae nodded. 

 


Japan:- Tokyo ; 10:28 AM

"You're flight back to Korea is from 2 in the evening, Sa jang-nim." 

"Very well. Please re-arrange my schedule today for the things that need to be done before I go back. The meeting about the opening for our new branch, I would like to do that too."

"Understood." 

"Oh and, please don't tell my son about this." 

"As you wish, sa jang-nim."

 


"See you on Monday, guys. If anything, just call me." Hyun Ae gave a salute to both of her friends. "Yeah. Well then, annyeong!" Mi Young and Sang Mi waved as Hyun Ae went to the upper level of the school to fetch Se Hun. Whenever she's about to meet with that guy, she'll think of superb words to say to make her look less stupid, if that makes sense. Se Hun was always the smart, alert and cool one and she's always the opposite.

By now, the both of them are as close as exchanging phone numbers-- they had too. Hyun Ae admit they get along quite well, despite all the quarrels they've been through. Where as Kai, he's always gentle and kind. There's not much going on when she's with Kai. 'I wonder who's seen the other side of Kai...'  she always thought. 

Hyun Ae reached the 3rd floor, students were still scattered around the hallway and even at the stairs. She made her way through and stopped in front of Se Hun's classroom not long after. There, she saw him sitting alone with a girl she have no clue on. Hyun Ae knocked the door before calling out for him. She was rather nervous than giving a care about who the girl he was with. Se Hun pulled his eyes away from the table to her.

He raised his brows and stood up. "Excuse me." He walked towards Hyun Ae who was waiting patiently at the door. "What are you doing here?" Se Hun asked her. "What am I  doing here? Strolling around I guess." She sarcastically answered him. "Didn't Kai told you I'm doing the reports for last year's school trip?" He ignored her sarcasm and looked down at her with crossed arms, while leaning on the door frame.

"He did..." Hyun Ae's confidence instantly shrank down. "That obviously means our lesson is cancelled for today." He scoffed at Hyun Ae's stupidity. "You could've just come and tell me yourself! Be specific for once!" Hyun Ae fired back.

Se Hun gritted his teeth and hit her head lightly. "Tch. I had no idea you're this stupid." He said. "It's obvious you dimwit. What? Never made a report before?" Se Hun continued attacking her. She pouted in silent and looked behind him. A girl was waiting for Se Hun at their seat. 'She's really cute...'  Hyun Ae was dazed.

"There's only a few things to do left since we took our lunch time to complete it. If you still insist of the lesson then you'll have to wait..." He looked down at his watch, "Maybe for an hour?" 

"An hour?!" Hyun Ae exclaimed. "Yes. Maybe less than an hour if you let me do my work now." Se Hun pointed back at his hanging work. "What am I suppose to do?" She looked around the school compound and scratched her head. "Then we'll have the lesson another day." He answered her simply. She sighed heavily and pouted, "Arasseo, I'll wait for you outside school. Not too far though." Hyun Ae said.

Before she could excuse herself, Se Hun grabbed her arm. "Are you crazy? Do I have to remind you this everytime? You're a girl."

"You don't have to remind me that everytime and yes, I am a girl. Any problem with that?" She asked back, not in a sassy tone though. "Oh God." He facepalmed himself and dragged Hyun Ae inside the classroom and seated her a table away from where he was sitting. "Sit down and find something to play while I do my work." He ordered.

Hyun Ae was left dumbfounded as she's really slow in indirect things. She just observed Se Hun who was sitting beside the cute girl she saw. 'Oh that's right, I've never seen her around Se Hun before.'  she thought. Hyun Ae tried not to put too much thoughts on the girl, she tried to find something to play with instead. She found nothing and ended up checking on her phone. 

Just seconds after, she found herself hearing both of the people who were still in the class with her giggling. She turned around to look at a smiling Se Hun. 'Wow. He looks really... comfortable with her.'  Hyun Ae kept her gaze on them for a while until Nari noticed her. The girl smiled in response. 

"Ah, I need to use the washroom for a sec. Excuse me." Se Hun got up quickly and left both of the girls alone. Awkward filled the atmosphere around them. Of course, they did not know what to say to each other thus, Hyun Ae don't even know her name! 

Nari put her pencil down and looked up to Hyun Ae. "Could you possibly be Bae Hyun Ae?" She asked politely and Hyun Ae nodded furiously. "If you must know, everyone's been talking about you lately. Especially here, among those in our batch." Nari said. "I see..." Hyun Ae just looked down, as she knew the reason of why she's been the 'hot' topic for the older students lately. Nari continued to scribble some things while Hyun Ae was waiting eagerly for Se Hun to return.

"Excuse me..." Hyun Ae spoke.

Nari looked up cheerfully, "Yes?".

Hyun Ae gulped before continuing. "Are you close to him?" she asked out of curiosity. Nari was rather shocked, but not fully. "No, no, no. I'm actually shy around guys..." Nari was flushed in red just by the thought of talking about guys. "When it's only the both of us, Se Hun would usually take the first move to break the silence or to crack a joke." She explained.

'Damn, I could see why he always takes the first move! Just look at her... such a nice and cute impression.'  Hyun Ae bit her bottom lip. "May I know something too, in return?" Nari asked out of the blue and Hyun Ae instantly looked up to her. "Yes, please." She said.

"Are you... his girlfriend?" 

Hyun Ae laughed sarcastically and tried to answer her question but unfortunately, Se Hun came to interfere.

"Having fun I see?" He sat down on his chair and looked at Hyun Ae. "There's little to do left..." Nari said. Se Hun turned to her with a pleasing smile. "Let's just finish everything t--"

"It's alright, I can send them. Hyun Ae's waited for you for some time now..." she insisted. Se Hun blinked a few times, "Are you sure? You'll be fine alone?" He asked. "Positive." Nari gave him a smile. "Alright then I'll leave everything in your hands." He packed his stuff and so did Hyun Ae. They said their goodbyes and waved to each other, the only thing now for Hyun Ae is to break the awkwardness between Se Hun and her whilst on their way to Se Hun's appartment. 

"... Nari is really cute, huh?" Hyun Ae played with her fingers. Se Hun who kept his hands inside his pockets, looked at Hyun Ae. A grin formed on his face. "So it seems." He nodded. "Have you been thinking of how I'm not annoyed by her? Well she is  a girl." Se Hun asked. "Yes but I doubt that you would tell me the reason, anyway. So you don't have too." as usual, Hyun Ae put her sass up.

Se Hun gritted his teeth, "If I wouldn't then why would I ask you in the first place, genius?" he said. "From my prespective, Nari is smart, quiet and shy-- overall, she has a decent image. She's not suffocating to be with too."

Hyun Ae just watched him as he spoke. "I really like that." He continued.

"Then what about me?" she asked with an expression that couldn't be read by Se Hun. "I'm loud, I fight back, I'm open and I'm a dimwit, aren't I?" She tugged his sleeve and they stopped walking. "Am I annoying like the other girls?" 

He was surprised by how direct and brave she was. Even if he was curious about something, he wouldn't have the guts to be as direct as her. For some reason, he was nervous by her question. Hyun Ae was right, she described herself very well yet why can't he answer her? Se Hun flushed in red and covered his mouth with a surprise expression. 

Hyun Ae forced a laugh and continued walking. "What kind of face are you pulling off? You don't have to answer me." she smiled bitterly. "Kkaja." she walked ahead. Se Hun was still standing behind, watching Hyun Ae's back as she walked in front of him. He facepalmed himself lightly and shooked his head while smiling.

 



End of Chapter 14