Maybe not straight after all

One-Shots

This is a christmas present for my lovely friend Kiyoura <3 <3 <3 


____________________________________________________________________________________________-

 

“Oh, come on.” Baekhyun whined and looked at Sehun, who didn’t seem convinced. “It’s a welcome party for juniors. Time to mingle and make new friends and maybe find a lady-friend. For you, that is. A handsome boytoy for me.” Sehun frowned and pursed his lips. “I am not here to socialize. I plan on concentrating on my studies.” The younger grumbled.

 

What happened next he should have seen coming. Baekhyun’s eyes filled with tears and Sehun groaned. Curse his best friend and his ability to cry whenever he wanted to. “You are so ungrateful, Oh Sehun! I saved your from dying of boredom this summer; you owe me one!” Curse him. Sehun knew that Baekhyun wouldn’t let it go and therefore gave in, sighing heavily.

 

“Okay.” He muttered and immediately Baekhyun’s face lit up, all tears gone. Sehun wondered how this was even possible for a human. “Only under the condition that I can leave when I feel uncomfortable.” He demanded and Baekhyun nodded. “Of course. Minimum is 30 minutes, okay?” Knowing that he had no chance, Sehun agreed. When Baekhyun started to bounce around happily, the younger threw a pillow against his friend’s head and wondered how this man could already be 20 years old while he acted like freaking five.

 

The party itself was not as bad as Sehun had expected. There was music but not so loud that it was impossible to have a conversation. Snacks had been prepared, together with a cold buffet and for the drinks they had prepared some non- and some alcoholic beverages. All in all it was different from the college parties you hear in the news or see in the movies. Sure, a few people always went overboard, but the majority was acting modest.

 

Sehun was lounging on one of the sofas with Baekhyun. Both had a cup of soda sitting in front of them and a plate with a few bites on it. “See? It’s not so bad. I wonder how much truth there is to those college party cliches is after all.” Baekhyun mumbled and took a sip from his fanta. “Or maybe this is an exception. Anyway, I like it and so do you. Don’t even try to deny it. I can tell that you are relaxed.” He looked at Sehun and lifted an eyebrow, daring him to challenge his words. Fortunately Sehun was in no mood to argue and so he just nodded. It was absolutely bearable for a party.

 

Suddenly a movement caught Sehun’s eyes, and he looked over, where a young looking male seemed to be molested by a few other guys - from the looks of it football players. “Why did you cut your hair, baby? And what is up with your clothes? Did you rob someone twice your size?” The most drunk one almost shouted, holding onto the smaller guy’s arm.

 

Confused and a bit enraged how those imbeciles were acting, Sehun got up and walked over. “Hey.” He said coldly and removed the drunk guy’s hand from his victim’s arm. “You don’t touch people like that unless they want you to, are we clear?” He stared at the aggressor who grumbled in annoyance. “Looks like you got yourself a new boy toy. I wonder what he thinks about your… lifestyle.”

 

Sehun didn’t know what that guy meant and he didn’t care. “ off.” Sehun “repeated” and stared the man down, who lifted his hand in mock surrender. “Sure, whatever floats your boat.” Before he left, he cast his victim another glance. “I am too good for something like you anyway.” With that, he and his flock of friends left.

 

Sehun let out a breath of relief and then turned to the one he had saved from the bully. To his surprise he looked at a girl. Or was it? He wasn’t sure. The facial features screamed girl, together with the lack of an adam’s apple. Everything else was rather pointing towards a guy. He furrowed his eyebrows and opened his mouth to say - or rather ask - something, but the other beat him to it.

 

“You shouldn’t have done that. Now they will target you too.” The - girl? - in front of him said. Not even the voice gave away the other’s gender. “Uhm…” Sehun muttered and scratched his neck. “Don’t worry about me. I can handle myself.” He coughed awkwardly. “Uhm, what is your name?” He then wanted to know, smiling slightly. It took a few moments, before he received an answer. “Lu… Han. You can call me Luhan.”

 

A boy. Sehun felt a wave of relief, together with a strange feeling he couldn’t quite place. The other man reminded him so much of a girl … a beautiful one. “Nice to meet you, Lu Han. I am Oh Sehun.” He smiled and motioned over to the couch. “Want to come over to sit with Baekyun and me? We are surely better company than those idiots. You could tell us about what just happened. If you want, that is.” He suggested.

 

Since he knew that the other was a boy, he felt a bit strange. Could it be because he was so handsome? That must be it. Sehun wasn’t interested in guys, at least not romantically. Which didn’t mean he hated making new friends. The problem was rather that he wasn’t the person many people wanted to be friends with. Baekhyun was the only one who didn’t let himself be pushed away by Sehun’s face and cold behaviour.

Luhan seemed to consider his offer and then smiled.

 

Again this weird feeling spread inside of Sehun. He ignored it and together they went over to the couch. “That is Baekhyun.” Sehun said and motioned over to his best friend, who eyed them. “This is Luhan. He was being molested from those football jocks.” He said and sat down, taking a sip from his beverage. Luhan hesitated and then sat down as well. Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and leaned forward, looking at the new arrival. “Han is a boy’s name.” He said. “Or am I wrong?”

 

Sehun wasn’t sure what his best friend meant, but it didn’t sound too nice. “lt is.” Luhan mumbled and chewed on his lip. “Then I take it that is what you want to be?” Baekhyun replied and sunk back against the backrest. Now Sehun was completely confused. “What do you mean?” He asked his best friend who grinned. Luhan seemed to be flustered, his cheeks slightly red. “No.” He said softly, swallowing hesitantly. “That’s not how it works. It’s what I am.”

 

Slowly Sehun started to understand. He had a girl in front of him who felt like a boy. What was the name of those people again? Right… transgender. He had never paid too much attention to anything like that. As long as people let him live the way he wanted, they could do whatever they pleased. Or whatever they wanted to be. To his surprise it only increased his interest in the other.

 

“So… Luhan.” He said and the other’s face lit up in happiness that Sehun didn’t seem to mind about what he was. “What are you studying?” Sehun wanted to know, and the other guy started to babble happily about journalism, writing and everything about it. They ended up talking for hours, not even noticing that Baekhyun grew bored of their conversation and that he left to find himself someone who would be worth his time.

 

It didn’t take long until a tall guy with rather big ears and dark brown hair caught his eye and vice versa. Sehun only caught a glance of them leaving together, the giant’s hand on Baekhyun’s back. Oh, someone would get lucky tonight… “Sehun?” Luhan asked when he noticed that the other was looking at the door.

 

Sehun turned back and smiled slightly. “Sorry, I just watched Baekhyun getting what he came here for.” He said and gave Luhan a apologetic smile. “Uhm… I am sorry if I am too forward but may I ask you what your preferences are? I heard that one’s gender does not define their preferences. Is that true?”

 

It seemed that he asked the right question. Luhan’s face lit up one more time and again they indulged in another almost hour long conversation. During that time Sehun felt again and again that something about the other was fascinating him. Though sometimes he wasn’t sure if the question running through his head was appropriate, Luhan assured him it was fine to ask, as long as he stayed respectful. Also the other had no issues explaining everything that had to do with him being transgender.

 

When the party ended, they traded numbers and Sehun promised to write him tomorrow, right after having walked him home. When they arrived at his place, Luhan looked like he wanted to say something but in the end he didn’t. Instead he just settled for a brief peck on Sehun’s cheek, who blinked in mild confusion. What …

 

He turned to Luhan to ask why he had done that, but the other gave him a shy smile before slipping into his apartment, closing the door behind him. Without him realizing it, a soft smile appeared on his lips and Sehun cast a last glance and then made his way home. Something had changed, even if he didn’t realize it yet.

 

Two days later Sehun received a text from Luhan, inviting him to go to the fair with him. At first he hesitated, but then decided to it and just do it. Even if Luhan thought of it as a date or something, as long as Sehun stayed respectful and honest, he figured it would be okay. Whatever the outcome would be.

 

‘Sure, I’d like that. Shall we meet at the ferris wheel at 6pm on Friday?’ He texted back and to his delight it was an immediate ‘Yes’ from the other. Strangely enough, a giddy feeling quickly rose inside Sehun and he blinked slightly, dismissing it as him being overly emotional.

 

Friday rolled by faster than he realized and at 4 pm he stood in front of the mirror and checked himself out. He had decided on a dark grey tee, together with light-greyish jeans. It suited him well and so he messed with his hair just a bit to make it look good before he put on some shoes and made his way to the subway. When he arrived Sehun realized that it might have been a bad idea to choose the ferris wheel, due to the millions of people bustling around.

 

Oh well, nothing he could do about it now, Sehun thought when he looked at his phone - no reception. He sighed and made his way through the crowd. At least he still had enough time left until he would meet up with Luhan. After almost ten minutes he had reached the ride and looked around. Luhan was still nowhere in sight, but that was no surprise - it was still ten minutes to six. He leaned against one of the makeshift walls and closed his eyes, enjoying the loud mixture of sound and talking noises.

 

He had almost fallen asleep, when a soft hand touched his cheek. Sehun opened his eyes and blinked a few times. “You shouldn’t fall asleep in such a crowded place.” Luhan said gently and smiled at him. “Someone could rob you.” Sehun chuckled. “Well, looks like I have a protector who will prevent this.” He replied and Luhan blushed slightly. “You look very handsome tonight. Did you dress up for me?” The taller asked, and the blush on Luhan’s face grew even more.

 

“You are a charmer, Oh Sehun.” He mumbled and acted like he wanted to walk away. Without forcing himself onto the smaller, Sehun took his hand and grinned. “Only for people I deem worthy of my charm.” He said smoothly. Luhan snorted but didn’t say anything anymore. “What do you want to ride first?” Sehun asked and the other smiled. “Whitewater course.” He said and dragged Sehun off.

 

After getting wet - at least Sehun did, Luhan claimed to be magical and that nothing could touch him if he didn’t want it to - the two boys made their way over to a hot dog stand, where Luhan insisted on paying “after all I am older than you” which Sehun didn’t believe until they compared IDs (“How did you know that I am younger?” “Intuition.” “Yeah, right….”). He gave in and Luhan grinned happily. Sehun realized that the other’s smile was very nice. “Then I will pay for ice cream later.”

 

To his relief Luhan had no objection to that and they sat down, enjoying their hot dogs and watching the people rush by. “You know…” Luhan said and laid his head onto Sehun’s shoulder. “You might be straight… but I am really enjoying this. Thank you, Sehunnie….”

 

The other swallowed the bite, and he smiled slightly. “No problem, really. I am enjoying this too, you know.” From his angle he couldn’t see it but a happy smile crept onto Luhan’s lips and he closed his eyes.

 

They spent two more hours on the fair before their money ran out and Luhan beat Sehun to the question. “May I walk you home?” The elder asked and Sehun made a face. “Alright.” He said after a while and nodded. “You may. Promise me to keep me updated until you are home as well, though.” Luhan promised. He took Sehun home and then called him right after the door had closed. They talked until he had reached his place 20 minutes later and ended the call with a soft “good night”.

 

A few weeks passed and their messages quickly turned into Sehun’s favorite part of the day. About a week later Baekhyun stared at him, right after he had replied to Luhan’s latest text, smiling stupidly. “Sehun.” He said and Sehun hummed in response. Baekhyun hesitated and bit his lip. He worried about his best friend. The other wasn’t into guys, as far as he knew and yet…. “You understand that Luhan… will be a guy, right?”

 

Sehun furrowed his eyebrows and looked up. “No?” He said. “Luhan won’t be a guy. He is a guy.” Baekhyun sighed. “Mentally, yes.” He explained. “Physically not yet. So… you are probably confused, because it’s not clear.” He didn’t try to be mean or insult Luhan, he simply worried for Sehun. As a straight male he would only get hurt when the person of his interest would be something he wasn’t attracted to.

 

Sehun didn’t react the way Baekhyun expected though. “Baek.” His best friend said and Baekhyun blinked, looking at him, surprised by the other’s serious voice. “I know who and what Luhan is and what he will be. It doesn’t matter, I assure you that. It surprised me to, at first, but then I realized that maybe…” Sehun hesitated and bit his lip. “Maybe I am not as straight as I think I was.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes bulged out and he choked on the water he was drinking. “What?” He blurted out and Sehun just smiled, scratching his neck sheepishly. “It doesn’t matter, though.” He said and Baekhyun stared at him in confusion. “What do you mean?” He wanted to know and Sehun chuckled. “I care about Luhan. Whatever that makes me, I couldn’t care less. Maybe I am bi, maybe I am gay. I am still me and that won’t ever change, no matter what people call me.”   

 

Baekhyun was strangely quiet and Sehun looked at him. “Well…” The other said after a while and then smiled. “I am glad you are happy. After all that is what matters, right?” “Right…” Sehun said and took his phone, to call Luhan.

 

“That is all what matters.”

 

End.